Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 15:41   #1201
BHPian

Jeep Compass -1.4 Manual Petrol

Hello Members
I have been driving a 2012 city and have put in about 75k km on the engine now , the urge for a new car has kicked in now.
I am sure I need a petrol Manual car and I am inclined towards the compact SUV market, the jeep Compass 1.4 manual petrol has caught my fancy and ticks most of my boxes .

Can anyone here in the forum help me decide on the 1.4 Manual Petrol compass ,I am yet to test drive the vehicle which would help me get a feel of it but i would like the Experts to give me a perspective around the same also I couldn't find any review of this particular model on the internet.
Old 8th January 2019, 16:09   #1202
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass -1.4 Manual Petrol

While I neither own, nor have driven the Compass MT, I think you should have a look at this official review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review)

I know it's a review for Petrol AT, but the engine is same for both MT and AT, at the end of the day. Forget the review about AT, and you'll get everything you want about the engine.

Cheers!
Old 8th January 2019, 16:11   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopanna19 View Post
Has anyone driven the Petrol Manual version of the Compass, or can someone route me to a review on the petrol Manual somewhere in the internet....

been looking for an upgrade from my city and the Petrol Manual Compass fits my budget and the requirement of a small Petrol SUV ,wanted the experts opinion on the same .
There is the Official Review of the Petrol AT Compass right here on Team-BHP: URL (Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review) You may want to post your query there for more info on the Petrol Manual...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th January 2019 at 16:13.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:08   #1204
BHPian

I'm in the same boat as you are! I've run less than 40k in 7years in my existing car so a diesel doesn't makes sense.

But, there doesn't seem to be a single test drive article or ownership review or video of the petrol sport manual that exists on the internet. A high tech petrol turbo with a stick shift is an enthusiasts choice and it is very perplexing that no one has got one or reviewed this the last 2 years.

No test drive vehicles in either of the dealerships in Chennai. There was only one drive experience that I have ever come across from someone in Pune and he still complained about a significant amount of turbo lag. Economy is a grey area too.

Brishti post on 1.4 Multiair manual (Jeep Compass : Official Review)

I'm so convinced about the compass and all I need is the equivalent of a Longitude(O) petrol manual variant. But given the circumstances and variants, I'm inclined to go for the diesel with the hope that I'll be tempted to run it more than usual.

The latest word that I received from the dealer is that Jeep is considering launching Longitude variants of the petrol as part of its 2019 line up. But they weren't sure if thats going to be the DCT version or the manual version (DCT more likely).

Also as there is a mandate for reverse parking sensors and speed alarms now, its highly likely that sport variants will have this kit added in the 2019 line up. If you were looking the sport variant, consider waiting until the parking sensors are added. Its definitely something that cannot be fitted on at a later point in the compass.

If you have any updates, do share as I'll be booking in a couple of weeks time.

I have been shopping around for a compass this month in Chennai. Jeep is offering decent discounts on the MY2018 units.

Longitude & O variants - 80-90k
Limited & O variants - 1L-1.3L
Sport or Limited plus - 50k

As per the dealer, it is likely that Longitude variants may be available in the petrol variant. Most likely with the DCT.

I looking to book the compass this month. I run the car 500 kms on an average in a month. I would have loved a petrol manual but that doesn't seem to exist in anything other than the sport and neither there exists any form of a review or experience. Is there anyone who owns the multiair manual?

Any tips or insight or advice gratefully welcomed!

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th January 2019 at 09:40.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:31   #1205
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Having driven both engines, I wouldn't recommend the petrol at all. The diesel is the superior in every way. Even if your running doesn't require a diesel, that's the one you should buy. And don't worry about the extra $$$ - you'll easily make it up with the lower running costs + superior resale.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:04   #1206
BHPian

@clementj Hoping to see your review soon.
@GTO -i hear you and this is what everyone has been telling me .
Bopanna19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 19:39   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
I have been shopping around for a compass this month in Chennai. Jeep is offering decent discounts on the MY2018 units.

Longitude & O variants - 80-90k
Limited & O variants - 1L-1.3L
Sport or Limited plus - 50k
Is the discount on ex-showroom or OTR? 1.3L on ex-showroom Limited seems nice as it will bring the OTR by around 1.5-1.7L here in Pune.
Old 10th January 2019, 07:15   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Is the discount on ex-showroom or OTR? 1.3L on ex-showroom Limited seems nice as it will bring the OTR by around 1.5-1.7L here in Pune.
Discounts are on the OTR and a part of it comes from the dealer margins on the insurance. It looks like this year will be tough for Jeep dealerships considering the competition from MG Hector and Tata Harrier.
Old 11th January 2019, 19:30   #1209
BHPian

Took a test drive of Petrol AT earlier today in Ahmedabad. The SA had brought Limited Plus variant. The car was neat and clean from both outside and inside. It had just 2600 KM on the ODO so was almost new. Here are my observations.

• It's easy to find a comfortable driving position and I found the ergonomics quite sorted.
  • The car is feature loaded and has almost everything one would need in terms of safety or comfort.
  • I felt the car wasn't eager off the block. I expected it to crawl on taking the foot off the accelerator but A pedal input was required to move it.
  • I found the multi-air slightly sluggish when compared to the Tjet in my Linea. Tjet in the linea feels much more eager to pull while this one felt as if it didn't want to be pushed around. Perhaps I am too used to the Tjet and it has spoilt me. The multi-air will prefer marathon over sprints. It's a shame that there's no cruise control.
  • The ride quality is phenomenal. It feels so sturdy that one can push it on any surface. The car was surefooted and stable.
  • It feels well put together. Be it the solid thud from the doors or the interior panels. It seems built to last.
  • The space at the rear although adequate, could have been better.
  • The boot space is smaller than my linea and a higher loading lip so won't be very comfortable to put stuff in.
  • The SA said fuel efficiency in the city will be ~10KMPL but I got 5.9 during the test drive. I don't expect it to be more than 7 in the city with my style of driving and 8 for most people. It might manage 10-11 on the highways.
  • I feel the petrol automatic is priced high. Considering the overall performance package and the risk that potential customers would take to buy it, I would have preferred a lower price.

It is a very good car but I don't think petrol auto will find many takers considering the dismal fuel efficiency. The SA said that Trailhawk is expected around mid of this year and it will be launched with automatic. Hopefully, that will be exciting and priced better.
Biraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 19:49   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I found the multi-air slightly sluggish when compared to the Tjet in my Linea. Tjet in the linea feels much more eager to pull while this one felt as if it didn't want to be pushed around.
Not sure, but, could be because of -
Quote:
It had just 2600 KM on the ODO so was almost new.
It may open up with more use.
Old 13th January 2019, 14:14   #1211
Distinguished - BHPian

New Jeep Showroom coming up on Kanakapura Road. PPS Motors is opening one about 100 odd meters from the Sarakki signal ( intersection of Kanakapura road and JP Nagar ring road). The board is up, but interiors are in the works.

This addition makes it a popular stretch - we already have Ford, Nexa, Renault, VW and this. Hyundai and Maruti on Bannerghatta road, close to the signal. Add a Maruti service centre too.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th January 2019 at 19:39. Reason: edited
Old 13th January 2019, 17:45   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The new Jeep Compass commercial for 2019 -
Are there places like this in bangalore or kerala which a Jeep Compass can handle?

The only closest one I got was at Vythiri, but that area had a very high population density due to too many resorts.

Last edited by SDP : 13th January 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Removing video link from quoted text
Old 13th January 2019, 19:03   #1213
R_R
BHPian

According to WION "Pitstop" car show, a new version of Compass is to be launched soon, which they will test in the next week episode. The car the presenter was standing in front of was not the Trailhawk, very clearly. Any other versions coming out soon? Externally, I couldn't make out any difference, except that it was clearly not the Trailhawk. (Of course, they may have used some other version as a dummy, though I don't think so).
Old 13th January 2019, 19:32   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
According to WION "Pitstop" car show, a new version of Compass is to be launched soon, which they will test in the next week episode. The car the presenter was standing in front of was not the Trailhawk, very clearly. Any other versions coming out soon? Externally, I couldn't make out any difference, except that it was clearly not the Trailhawk. (Of course, they may have used some other version as a dummy, though I don't think so).
Compass is coming up with Petrol engine in Longitude variants. May be its that..
Old 13th January 2019, 22:16   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Better not to comment on FCA. They have a serious history with the Indian market.

Great products, but they have a set of drowsy executives in Armani suits who probably need some rest.

Where is the diesel automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
According to WION "Pitstop" car show, a new version of Compass is to be launched soon, which they will test in the next week episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Compass is coming up with Petrol engine in Longitude variants. May be its that..

It is the New Logitude(O) variant in petrol automatic.

https://www.cartoq.com/jeep-compass-...automatic/amp/

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...3031.htm?amp=1

Last edited by theMAG : 14th January 2019 at 07:10. Reason: Back-back posts merged.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks