Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 19:25   #1186
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
A few lakhs more could get you a Tucson, there are good year end deals!
I'm really not a fan of the Tucson for two things. The first, its not a compact SUV, I need a luxury compact SUV because my office is in the old city and the traffic is just horrible and parking spaces are too tight. Secondly, not a fan of the interior of the Tucson. Its same as the Verna & Elantra.
Old 28th December 2018, 23:28   #1187
Team-BHP Support

Year end deals on the 4*4 version -

Jeep Compass : Official Review-unnamed.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:00   #1188
BHPian

Hi ,

Did anyone fitted a backup cam ? Pinnacle Jeep Kochi quoted 20K!!! , isn't that too high ?
Mine is a longitude 'O' got same time last year. Nothing much to complain except minor rattles from the dashboard and pillars which was fixed promptly. With the travels and a city CVT @ home I could only put 7K kmts on it so far.
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:54   #1189
BHPian

Just made a test drive of jeep compass petrol AT and observations below
1. suspension is wallowy on speed breakers and no way close to duster/hexa
2. nice turning radius
3. Driver Seat side bolsters are hindering me being on heavy side.
4. Cornering lights turning on using fog lamps is a good feature
MuzzledMoose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:32   #1190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Just made a test drive of jeep compass petrol AT and observations below
1. suspension is wallowy on speed breakers and no way close to duster/hexa
2. nice turning radius
3. Driver Seat side bolsters are hindering me being on heavy side.
4. Cornering lights turning on using fog lamps is a good feature
Crisp and to the point TD report I like those. Really help in making buying decision or in knowing what to look.

What about the DCT? Especially compared to VW DSG?
Also, excessive torque steer (much more than diesel version) reported in the official review - did you notice it?
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:24   #1191
BHPian

Last December I had an accident in my Jeep Compass near Vellore on the Bangalore - Chennai Highway.

I was cruising at 90-100 kmph when suddenly the vehicle in front (Tata ACE) stopped because of a truck which tried to change lanes.

I braked hard but still managed to hit the Tata ACE in front. All that was heard inside the cabin was a small thud. I should have hit at less than 40 Kmph. All occupants were safe and no injuries to anyone of them. Infact, my daughter who was sleeping in her car seat continued her sleep. I went out and saw that the bonnet was dented and the coolant fluid was leaking. People around advised me not to drive. Meanwhile, there was no damage to Tata ACE and he ran away.

I then called up the Jeep roadside assistance and reported this incident. They said they will arrange for a tow vehicle and a taxi for us to our destination within an hour.

As promised, the tow vehicle arrived in around 40 mins. They said the towing is free to the nearest service center which happens to be Chennai which was 140 kms from that place. My better half was of the opinion to tow it to Bangalore as we are based there and also it would be easy to visit the workshop as and when needed. So, after some deliberations, I asked them to tow it to Bangalore. I made the required payment to the towing folks which came to Rs. 30/km + Tax.

Meanwhile, the taxi also came and we boarded the taxi and went to Chennai.
The taxi was free upto 100kms. Beyond which it is Rs 12/km.

The tow vehicle reached the Bangalore Mahadevpura service center by 6 PM and delivered my Compass there.

Two days later, after finishing my work in Chennai I visited the KHT motors service center and spoke to the bodyshop advisor there. He helped me raise a claim and started the entire process. The next day the insurance guy (HDFC Ergo)inspected the vehicle and gave a go ahead for dismantling. After dismantling the vehicle, they came up with a long list of parts to be replaced.

The main ones were, bonnet, front bumper, radiator, radiator fan, condensor, two front headlights, engine casing (which had a crack), crossbar etc..

As expected, none of these were available with them and they placed order for the same. And then the wait began. It took almost 10 days for the parts to come from Pune. Once the parts arrived, they quickly assembled all of them and the car was almost ready. They took a road test and called me all was fine and I can take the vechicle after the insurance firm releases the payment. Later, on reinspection by one their mechanics, they found that a hose pipe in ejar was damaged and there was air leak. They placed order for the same. The delivery got delayed because of this. I told them to do a thorough inspection and only then give the vehicle. The part came in a couple of days. Then they fixed it and did another roadtest. This time they said everything was fine and the vehicle is ready. Then the insurance formalities were completed and I got the vehicle after 28 days.

The total bill was around Rs. 2.6L. But thanks to the zero dep cover, I had to shell out only Rs. 5K.

I am satisfied with the finish and the work done by them. I have started driving only the last couple of days and so far it seems good.
Gene is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:52   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Crisp and to the point TD report I like those. Really help in making buying decision or in knowing what to look.

What about the DCT? Especially compared to VW DSG?
Also, excessive torque steer (much more than diesel version) reported in the official review - did you notice it?
DCT is no way smooth or close to DSG. DSG is miles ahead in quickness and smoothness. nobody like VW service which screwed up such a nice car like vento.

Torque steer is present. Kickdown acceleration is not confidence inspiring
MuzzledMoose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:13   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

As expected, none of these were available with them and they placed order for the same. And then the wait began. Then the insurance formalities were completed and I got the vehicle after 28 days.
Not even the headlights are on stock? Given they sell 1.5K units a months, not having stock of basic components is not good. 28 days is quite too long.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 09:03   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Not even the headlights are on stock? Given they sell 1.5K units a months, not having stock of basic components is not good. 28 days is quite too long.
Headlights were perhaps on stock. But the hinges and other underlying plastic parts on which it is fixed were not available. They do have some stock of the parts here. Infact, even the radiator and bonnet were available ready. But the hinges, clips etc.. which are required to fix these were not available .
Old 4th January 2019, 09:35   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Meanwhile, there was no damage to Tata ACE and he ran away.

After dismantling the vehicle, they came up with a long list of parts to be replaced.

I am surprised that he ran away considering that it was you who rear-ended him
I am more surprised that while Jeep Compass suffered considerable damage, the Tata ACE did not suffer any damage!
Old 4th January 2019, 10:27   #1196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am more surprised that while Jeep Compass suffered considerable damage, the Tata ACE did not suffer any damage!

From what I have seen, notwithstanding anything else, the vehicle which is at speed suffers more damage than the vehicle that's stopped/crawling. Doesn't matter if the vehicle at speed is well built or not.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 13:41   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
From what I have seen, notwithstanding anything else, the vehicle which is at speed suffers more damage than the vehicle that's stopped/crawling. Doesn't matter if the vehicle at speed is well built or not.
In this case, it is probably also due to the fact that the front of the Jeep would have a crumple zone due to which it would give way more easily while the rear of the Ace would be completely rigid.
Strangerintown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 14:45   #1198
Team-BHP Support

The new Jeep Compass commercial for 2019 -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 08:27   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Hi ,

Did anyone fitted a backup cam ? Pinnacle Jeep Kochi quoted 20K!!! , isn't that too high ?
That is correct.My local jeep dealer(Aaron FIAT, Kolhapur) also quoted me the same figure. Apparently they tried fitting aftermarket rear cameras on some customers insistence which costed around 7-8k, But they didnt work.So we have to go with the original Jeep camera which comes factory fitted in limited and above trims.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:16   #1200
BHPian

Has anyone driven the Petrol Manual version of the Compass, or can someone route me to a review on the petrol Manual somewhere in the internet....

been looking for an upgrade from my city and the Petrol Manual Compass fits my budget and the requirement of a small Petrol SUV ,wanted the experts opinion on the same .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks