Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2019, 14:24   #1216
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

I'm sure its too late to congratulate omkar..
Excellent review... hats off...

I had just test driven the Jeep Compass Longitude which had 14700kms on it (300kms for the next service), and the clutch was very hard. When I had questioned about the hard clutch, the sales adviser argued that this test drive vehicle was mainly for off-roading, and driven by multiple drivers, and was pending a service. He then asked me to test drive the Limited Plus variant, which had only 300kms on it, and this clutch was much lighter.
When I drove back home on my 2008 Hyunda Verna diesel, I felt that the Verna's clutch was lighter than the Jeep Limited.

I was very happy with the steering, handling, ride quality of the car, but the clutch left me very disappointed.

I don't think that any standard service would actually fix the hard clutch on the Jeep Longitude with the 14700kms on odo. And what I have understood from the dealership is that the Sport, Longitude and Limited have the same trasmission box for the diesel manual.

Unfortunately this hard clutch is contradictory to the original review which says the clutch is soft.

Q1) I would like to know the views of other owners or riders of the Jeep Compass, in terms of the clutch compared to the other vehicles they have driven.

I was hell bent on buying the Compass Diesel Sport, even though it had a useless 5 inch infotainment system, and the standard head lamps, but now due to the hard clutch, I'm looking at the Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI. Ruled out XUV500 because even though it has a lot of features for a very reasonable price because I didn't like the steering and the handling.
Q2) Any other suggestions on excellent driver's car, sedan/cross/SUV which would be an upgrade from the 2008 Hyundai Verna diesel.

Advance thanks for your replies..
micraft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 15:04   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
I was hell bent on buying the Compass Diesel Sport, even though it had a useless 5 inch infotainment system, and the standard head lamps, but now due to the hard clutch, I'm looking at the Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI.
I dont know about the Compass's clutch (not having riven one yet), but I did find the Rapid's clutch on my friends car (at around 20,000 kms) to be quite hard as well. Hence, if the hard clutch is a differentiating factor, I am not sure how different the Rapid TDI will be. Perhaps, members who have driven both cars can enlighten further.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 07:25   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that any standard service would actually fix the hard clutch on the Jeep Longitude with the 14700kms on odo.
You are judging this the wrong way. This must be an abused car. It will require complete overhaul of the clutch.

Quote:
Unfortunately this hard clutch is contradictory to the original review which says the clutch is soft.
Did you not say the car with 3000km had a light action clutch or were you expecting it to be lighter than this?
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 12:57   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Q1) I would like to know the views of other owners or riders of the Jeep Compass, in terms of the clutch compared to the other vehicles they have driven.
I moved back to a manual (Compass) after 10 years with automatics. While I can't comment whether the clutch is light or not - as I don't recall how clutch actions used to be - I don't find the current clutch action annoying. So I think even if you are used to light clutches at the moment, you will get used to a heavy clutch in due course of time.

I don't think clutch action should be a deal breaker. While having to change gears manually is more work compared to my old automatics, the overall driving experience of the Compass makes up for it. It would be for you too.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 17:59   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You are judging this the wrong way. This must be an abused car. It will require complete overhaul of the clutch.

Did you not say the car with 3000km had a light action clutch or were you expecting it to be lighter than this?
I'm just confused, because there are a couple of reviews out there which says the clutch is hard and other set of reviews which say the clutch is soft, and I had the opportunity to ride both on the same day, i.e. Longitude with a hard clutch and Limited Plus with a light clutch. I had called a couple of showrooms, and they agreed that the initial models had a hard clutch, and based on feedback they had replaced it on all models of the vehicle.

@arindambasu13, I have dropped the Skoda Rapid after the test drive of the vehicle. They were giving amazing discounts, close to 1.3L discount from ex showroom, but I was not happy with the TD. Again the TD vehicle had 12k on it, with a broken windshield, which had met with an accident and fixed due to which performance was not as par as per the SA.

@civic-sense, your comment is reassuring..

Last edited by micraft : 15th January 2019 at 18:06.
Old 15th January 2019, 19:44   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
I'm just confused, because there are a couple of reviews out there which says the clutch is hard and other set of reviews which say the clutch is soft, and I had the opportunity to ride both on the same day
For what it's worth, the Compass I test drove (about 50km, of which I drove it for 30) in July 2018 (Diesel) had a par for the course clutch IMO. If you compare it to a petrol hatch, obviously it'll be relatively quite heavy. But nothing close to a deal breaker. And not even something to think of if you're considering a manual. If you were looking at say, a diesel auto, but then going for the Compass instead (because of its many brilliant attributes), then yes, that clutch is something to worry about. If I was fine driving a manual (given usage, left knee's condition etc), I wouldn't bother about it.

My point through the rambling is, it's a great car with many things to worry about for a prospective buyer, but hardness of clutch isn't one of them.

Last edited by Mu009 : 15th January 2019 at 19:45. Reason: Correction(s)
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 21:13   #1222
BHPian

New Longitude(O) petrol AT launched @ 18.90 lacs ex showroom Delhi ( source carwale). Should arrest falling sales a bit , but Diesel automatic still a variant or two away. Too many variants by Jeep may keep dealers busy when other Fiat model sales are declining rapidly.
Old 16th January 2019, 04:39   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm just confused
No need to be.

You are going to buy a brand new car. Pop back into the showroom and step in to their display car which I assume should have no miles clocked on it. Work the clutch to check travel and weight.

The last time I experienced a heavy clutch was on a display car at the Porsche showroom. It was some variant of the 911. Off course, I could not afford that Porsche but if I had the dough, heck, that heavy clutch would be the least of my worries (The ground clearance is a bigger issue). It was heavy on the Porsche and for good reason. It has to be beefy to transmit all that power and torque and not fade even with abuse.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 06:53   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Q2) Any other suggestions on excellent driver's car, sedan/cross/SUV which would be an upgrade from the 2008 Hyundai Verna diesel.

Advance thanks for your replies..
If you are not a Tata hater, you should look at Hexa for all its comfort including AT version that are reportedly much better than most other AT's in that and a segment above!
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 08:25   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
If you are not a Tata hater, you should look at Hexa for all its comfort including AT version that are reportedly much better than most other AT's in that and a segment above!
Initially I was going to say that the Compass and Hexa are both excellent products for the money, but fit very different preferences and use cases and need to be decided upon through that. But then I saw micraft's Q2 in the quoted part of your post.

Quote:
I test drove the Hexa 4 days after the Compass on the same route I mentioned in my post above (4 days because I drove the Endeavour and Kodiaq between the two), and while the Hexa is a great package (with some glaring holes in it), going by your stipulation above, it is simply not for you.

The Compass on the other hand, is exactly the car for you. I remember thinking at the time, if only I had the disposable income to buy another, I'd buy this as a replacement for mom's car. It is the only crossover that has ever felt fun to drive for me. The steering, while excellent, is an EPS which shouldn't bother you much since you're coming from the land of Hyundai HPS. The gear stalk and steering wheel are an absolute joy to touch and operate. The engine is a cracker, and the power to weight ratio and the way power is delivered make it particularly conducive to get pushed back in your seat. The tank like build was probably the biggest sway the car held over me. Again, there are of course some holes here (much fewer compared to the Hexa), but mostly there are worries due to the brand/family it comes from, and the QC. As a car in isolation though, it simply blew me away and I have since thought of it (and recommended it as such to many) as the most sensible, reasonably priced driver's car in India.

On the other hand, if it's more about being a driver's car than a practical one for India (I'm talking only in terms of ground clearance), sedans blow crossovers out of the water every time. In which case, you can even look at the Octavia. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole myself, but It'll be more practical space-wise, and you won't have to worry about the clutch (not until the DSG breaks anyway).

I must say that, as a driver's car, the Compass was definitely enjoyable in its own right, but I recommend (and want) it to those looking for FTD cars only because of how practical it is to have a decent amount of GC in India. Before experiencing the Compass, a FTD crossover was a unicorn for me. But, if we're talking purely from a FTD perspective, sedans all the way. Do bear this in mind when deciding between a crossover and a sedan of FTD is your top priority. Personally, whenever I think of an Octavia vRS or something, the first thing that strikes me is the amount of pain I'd need to endure before getting to the kind of road I'd be able to enjoy it on. And then, once on good roads, I'd need to stick to destinations on good roads. I would find it a pain even as a second car reserved for use exclusively on good roads. If the roads around me were different, I might think differently about sedans (still probably wouldn't have the guts to buy a Skoda though).

Again, my point through the rambling is, if FTD is top focal point, make sure a crossover is warranted, otherwise why miss out on the dynamics of a sedan? Also, if a crossover is warranted, purely as a car (QC and parent company issues aside), the Compass is the best FTD crossover for a long time as you ascend the price ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
No need to be.

You are going to buy a brand new car. Pop back into the showroom and step in to their display car which I assume should have no miles clocked on it. Work the clutch to check travel and weight.
Yep. And never forget this advice throughout the car buying process. A TD isn't a favour - when you are seriously considering any financial outlay on a car - regardless of whether it is 5, 20 or 50 big ones, make sure you're satisfied and take as many test drives as you like. You're doing them a favour by offering them the possibility of your custom - no need to be squeamish about it. Be quite sure before you expend the hard-earned. And be sure yourself - not sure because someone (however reliable) on the internet said there are no worries.

Last edited by Mu009 : 16th January 2019 at 08:53. Reason: Correction(s) and additions.
Mu009 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 10:01   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
I had called a couple of showrooms, and they agreed that the initial models had a hard clutch, and based on feedback they had replaced it on all models of the vehicle.
Just remembered that the grapevine is that since Dec 2017, they have been using a different clutch system after the previous ones had numerous incidences of premature clutch wear/failure. Your TD car might have been from the older lot.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 10:31   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Living with a hard clutch (if it is true) isn't a deal breaker? Another case of love for a brand or a car clouding our judgement? Suffering every km is definitely a deal breaker. My experience is with a Cruze MT, a car with one of the hardest clutch if you ask me. The car is true to its tagline of "diesel rocket" and amazes you with its sheer pulling power on the open roads. But enter the usual bumper to bumper traffic of the cities, and the same car becomes painful to drive.

Disclaimer: I haven't driven the Compass and only taking the OP's views into consideration that the clutch is heavy.
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 13:39   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Living with a hard clutch (if it is true) isn't a deal breaker? Another case of love for a brand or a car clouding our judgement? Suffering every km is definitely a deal breaker. My experience is with a Cruze MT, a car with one of the hardest clutch if you ask me.

+1 to that.
Pressing the heavy clutch in bumper to bumper traffic is too much pain. I had to let go of my Laura (1.8 TSI) which was also a rocket, but heavy clutch + long pedal travel made things worse for my left leg. And clutch is always softer in early days, it eventually gets hard. Such mythological stories of "some batches of cars came with heavy clutch and newer batches now coming with light clutch" are nothing but "stories".
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 23:12   #1229
BHPian

@Mu009 Wow, you just posted the most in-depth and apt response to my predicament, like I had personally discussed this with you before..
With the insight you shared regarding the general driving dynamics of sedans, I had TD'en the Hyundai Elantra diesel today, and I was happy with the ride quality and the handling. It was mainly city driving since I went to the dealership post 6pm, and was not able to push the pedal to the floor. Obviously this is not the ultimate FTD car, but it really felt premium, and feature packed (8 inch touch screen, very good audio, sun roof) which would keep the family entertained, instead of just me. They are giving very good discounts for the 2018 models. I'm going again tomorrow to TD when there is less traffic. I have accepted the fact the elantra might only perform in par or slightly better than my 2008 Diesel Verna.

Having the opportunity to have TD'en these vehicles, undoubtedly the Jeep Compass was the best in terms of driving dynamics and *power**. But KHT doesn't provide any discounts due to depreciation for the 2018 models, which is very disappointing.

I'm currently a fan of Tata, and was eagerly waiting for the Harrier to get launched, but I don't see much of a price advantage(tentative) as compared to the Jeep Compass, i.e. while comparing the Harrier top end model(XZ) with the Jeep Compass Longitude (O).
micraft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 08:20   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian

On the clutch pedal hardness and throw, my Compass has a long clutch pedal travel but the clutch is lighter than my Laura. The Laura has a shorter clutch travel but has a hard spring effect. My wife drives the Compass easily and she never complains that the clutch is hard. When she drives the Laura she finds that clutch hard.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks