Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 13:22   #2986
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishae View Post
Is this an expected behavior, or should we get the suspension checked?
Get your tyre pressure checked and play around with different pressure settings to see what suites you best - If you've been using the same setting for a while and you've only just noticed this problem and it didn't exist before, then get it checked.
Hope this helps!
Old 8th March 2020, 16:24   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Reverse camera in my Nexon is acting up. Suddenly started showing a black screen with steering guidelines. Restarted th car a couple of times, no change. Did a reset of the head unit. Now the camera image is upside down. Anyone faced this issue? Mine is a Nexon 2018 diesel XZA+.
Started the car today and the reverse camera is normal. Not able to reproduce the issue. Will check with the service center during next service.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 04:41   #2988
BHPian

I recently bought the Nexon face lift XMA-P variant and have a question about the under body protection. Has anyone noticed that Nexon comes with a pre-applied under body coat (rubberized like 3M)? I was about to head to TASS to get the rubberized coating done but thought to check with owners here before I spend on this. I checked the wheel wells too and can clearly see a rubberized coat applied in that area. TASS at Jaipur offers Bardahl under body coating at 1900+GST which isn't too steep but why waste money on an overkill job when it comes with one right out of the factory. Thoughts?
Old 9th March 2020, 10:07   #2989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
....why waste money on an overkill job when it comes with one right out of the factory. Thoughts?
You are right, if your vehicle already has a rubberized coating, then an additional coating would be redundant. If I'm not wrong, most Tata vehicles have this pre-applied from the factory since the Vista was introduced (not sure of cars before that). If you were in a coastal place like Mumbai/Chennai etc., then probably it would have been worth the extra expense. But since your location says Jaipur, the OEM one should suffice.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 9th March 2020 at 10:08.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 00:48   #2990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
They sure are available. Not just Nippon, quite a few other brands with louder twin siren hooters also.
I had to install the below shown sensor in my car bought from Aliexpress.

#Aliexpress Rs. 172.92 5%OFF | Latest Motorcycle Car General Vibration Induction Sensor Alarm Anti-theft Device Keyless System Auto Remote Central Kit Locking
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSylqRN

It has 3 wires. +ve, GND and an output which gives a ground signal pulse whenever any vibration/shock is detected. output wire is connected to the driver side door switch so that whenever any vibration is detected, it gives GND pulse to the door switch which in turn makes the car think that door was opened without unlocking the car and triggers the horn.

Two disadvantages for the above simple alarm, namely,

1) When any shock is detected, it makes the car to think that a door is open and sounds the horn for sometime. But it doesn't lock the doors and re-arm the alarm. This is a serious issue and to avoid it, I turn the sensitivity of the sensor to 0 to turn it off completely when I am parking the car in some road side area where in I am away from the car for some time.

2) The sensor won't get deactivated even after unlocking the doors and when the car is started.
The moving car further gives vibration which makes the car think that the particular door is open!

The workaround was that I connected a 5pin relay where the coil supply was taken from ACC and Common pin connected to BAT 12v and the NC(Normally Closed) contact to the sensor +ve. This enabled me to turn off the sensor when I press Start button once for ACC mode or when I start the car.When ACC supply is there,the relay coil energizes and makes the NC contact to NO(Normally Open) which will disconnect the sensor input.
When the car is off, 12v BAT supply will be maintained through the NC contact and so sensor would be active once i turn off the car.

But as I have mentioned above, the doors would get opened in case of any vibration. I use this set up mainly when I park my car at home so that I can sleep peacefully.

I request the experts to correct me if there is any mistake with this setup and guide me accordingly.

PS:That green knob is my son's LEGO piece. Pasted it so that I can adjust the settings properly
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_20200229_185226.jpg  

vijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 11:35   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
In the maintenance charts of the owner's manual, under the Diesel Engine section (page 156) it says "Replace timing drive kit (timing belt, auto tensioner and idler)". The periodicity is clearly given as 36 months or 105K kms, whichever is earlier. Did anyone get this kit replaced? If this is mandatory, is this covered under gold AMC?
Thanks in advance.
You read that right, timing kit needs to be replaced as mentioned in the manual. If you do not get this replaced as per the manual, you loose your warranty is what i understand. Anyways, it is always recommended to replace the timing kit on time to avoid damage to critical engine components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Timing belts only need to be replaced around the 1L km mark in most cars including Germans.
May not be true in all the cases. Example: Tata recommends timing gear change in Zest @60k kms for the 90ps variants.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 17:07   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Is this an expected behavior, or should we get the suspension checked?
It depends. If you have moved over from a Maruti or Hyundai which usually make soft suspensions then this behavior(stiffer suspension) might just be normal and maybe you are not used to it. Clock in more miles, check for tyre pressure and see if it helps. If you still feel things are not right then definitely visit the service center. But those guys would take a road test and only then check further. Most of the time subtle suspension characteristics that we are able to isolate over a prolonged driving experience with the vehicle might not get replicated during the road test and all you may get is a response that suspension is absolutely fine. In that case you still get a peace of mind that you did your bit.
Old 12th March 2020, 03:53   #2993

Thank you DeKay and Maverick for your suggestions. I always had the tyre pressure set at recommended (30.5 psi) + 0.5 psi.

I did visit the Service Center, and it looks like they did "lubricate" suspension components to have free movement. And the vehicle feels more livable / bearable to drive.
Old 12th March 2020, 09:08   #2994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishae View Post
I started to notice some weird behavior with suspension, wherein the vehicle gets very bumpy and tosses the passengers while traveling at slow speeds (15 - 20 kmph), where as it irons out the same undulations very well while traveling at high speeds (50+ kmph).
Look at the official review here and you will notice that the same has been mentioned.

//Jiggly low speed ride; bumps are felt in the city (unlike other Tata cars)//

The high ground clearance and the higher center of gravity has ensured that the suspension is stiffer to compensate for this. It's my belief that your car is fine.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th March 2020 at 09:57. Reason: typo
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 12:20   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
And the vehicle feels more livable / bearable to drive.
I can understand the feeling. Nobody wants to live with a bearable situation on a brand new car. You might want to bring down the tire pressure to 28 PSI and see if that helps. There is also a possibility of your tires being the "extra milers" which are made of hard compound which usually last long and are less prone to punctures. On the downside they offer a firmer ride. Ceat Milaze, Apollo 3gMaxx are a few of them.
Old 13th March 2020, 19:53   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Thanks. I got confused because the periodicity is 105K kms and 36 months (Whichever is earlier). Probably an error in the manual.
While it is understandable to change the timing belt at 1.05 lakh km, the 36 month period is weird. Probably an error in the manual. 1.05 lakh km in three years is quite heavy for personal passenger vehicles. While some of the users may clock that kind of mileage, an overwhelming majority might not reach that mileage.

For reference, I took 5 years and 3 months to clock that many kilometres.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 08:41   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
While it is understandable to change the timing belt at 1.05 lakh km, the 36 month period is weird. Probably an error in the manual.
I too thought that this might be an error in the manual.

However, there are some people in the Hyderabad Nexon owners' whatsapp group who got their timing kit changed at 45K Kms/36Months. Cost them 19K approximately.

None of them are under AMC, so they don't know if this is covered under gold AMC. Any idea if this is covered under gold AMC?
Old 16th March 2020, 09:16   #2998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
While it is understandable to change the timing belt at 1.05 lakh km, the 36 month period is weird.
While the distance specification was fine, I too think that the time duration is quite early. While one can say that the duration is due to the car having a belt instead of a chain, Tata could have put in a better quality belt, may be ?

Having said that, the Timing belt specification for the Zest / Bolt must be 2 years - the one not-so-good thing about that car.

For my Storme, the requirement is 5 years / 1L km. I had to change it as I approached the 5 year mark. My running was around 60+ k km at that time. When the belt was removed, it was found to have some cracking/frets along the edge.

19K is about par for the part as compared to other Tata cars. Again, would have liked it if Tata had kept it lower.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 09:25   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Having said that, the Timing belt specification for the Zest / Bolt must be 2 years - the one not-so-good thing about that car.
I think your above statement is incorrect.
I have a Zest Petrol. The user manual says:
For Revotron (Petrol) - Timing belt replacement every 1,05,000 kms or 60 months whichever is earlier.

For Quadrajet (Diesel, 90PS) - Timing chain replacement every 60,000 kms.
Nothing mentioned for 75PS Quadrajet, but I presume it must be equal or less frequent than 90PS.

I find the above intervals reasonable given our traffic conditions.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 09:51   #3000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I think your above statement is incorrect.

For Quadrajet (Diesel, 90PS) - Timing chain replacement every 60,000 kms.
Thanks - but can you check on the interval for the diesel ? I was looking at the Zest Diesel, so my post likely to be aligned with that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks