Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 12:29   #3076
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

The Nexon 2020 mentions "Electronic Traction Control" if you check the official website under safety and security (comparing different variants). Anybody has any experience on what it does or does it even find mention in the car? Like in vehicle setup or a button to turn it on / off?
Old 12th July 2020, 18:58   #3077
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Nexon petrol yesterday. The car sure has some road presence. The TD vehicle was in the tectonic blue shade.
Stepped into the car and I really liked the interiors. The door had a nice heft to it. The seating position was spot on. My height is 6'2" and there was a 2 finger gap between the roof and my head. I'm not sure how the seat height will be in the lower variants (my options are XM and XZ). The front seats were definitely a good place to sit. The front console swoops down in a single piece all the way to the arm rest. The arm rest was just in the right place - not hitting my elbow when shifting gears.

Coming to the drive - initial movement from standstill was a little hesitant and I had to be a little cautious not to stall it. I agree with the other reviewers who mentioned the slightly tricky nature of the clutch release. I can live/ get used to this. I was not unsettled with the ride quality. It was fine. But one area of concern (a big one at that) was - the car felt strained when given the stick. The constant vibrations in the A-pedal did not help as well. Though 120 bhp would have been mostly neutralized by the heavy kerb weight - I still expected a little more eagerness.
Are my observations correct? Would the diesel be better in this aspect?. I'm not expecting scorching top end performance, but good low-mid end which can make me smile every now and then.
Old 13th July 2020, 02:31   #3078
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I am planning to buy Nexon petrol (XM MT). I took a test drive last week and completely satisfied with the performance of the vehicle. Only concern now I have about the mileage and after service. I saw many owner's in multiple FB groups, commenting about a very low mileage i.e., around 10 kmpl only, which scared me a little bit. 50% of travel contribution is from my daily commute to office 4.5 kms in 25-30mins , due to the traffic condition. And the rest 50% will be from road trips - majority of them would be hill stations and ghat routes. Will I be able to maintain an economical relation with this vehicle? At least around 13-15 kmpl?
I know Diesel won't be good for a 12k/yr (Max) travel pattern, which is why I chose Petrol this time.
Currently I am having a Liva Diesel (which now I have put to sale though the T-BHP classifieds) which is entirely different in segment, fuel, performance and handling!
Also, is that mandatory to have this 7,500/6 months periodic service to keep warranty intact? As per the service schedule I could see its just a general check up.

Looking forward to get feedback from Nexon Petrol owners to take a final decision.

Thank you.
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 10:50   #3079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
1. How are the NVH levels of petrol Nexon? (I'm coming from a 2010 Honda Jazz)
After a Jazz petrol, you'll find the Nexon noisy. But the cabin is quite well insulated & the external noises don't enter much. Some amount of vibration finds its way into pedals & steering once in a while, but its easy to get used to & forget about. A test drive will give you an idea surely.
Quote:
2. Is Gold AMC worth? Dealer is pushing for 2 year subscription.
IMO - Its not worth - especially when the car is brand new & in warranty. My service guys in fact told me not to buy it at this stage.
Quote:
3. IRA app and connectivity suite is the only difference between XZ+(S) and XZ+(O). The cost is 30k. Is it worth?
Thats an absolutely personal choice. Whether you want connected features or not. If it were me - No I'd not pick the (O). Don't see the use of these features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Though 120 bhp would have been mostly neutralized by the heavy kerb weight - I still expected a little more eagerness.
Are my observations correct? Would the diesel be better in this aspect?. I'm not expecting scorching top end performance, but good low-mid end which can make me smile every now and then.
What drive mode were you in? Put it in SPORT and you generally get that smile in the Nexon P & D both. The delivery is tuned linear for better drive-ability & so there is no sudden turbo-kick pushing you into the seats. But it still gives you the proper feeling of power at hand.
For outright pedal-to-the-metal fun - petrol is better. The diesel while powerful, is better for the sedate drivers as it has a peculiar power-band and isn't exactly a rev-happy engine. It growls like a bear when given the stick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
I am planning to buy Nexon petrol (XM MT). I took a test drive last week and completely satisfied with the performance of the vehicle. Only concern now I have about the mileage and after service. I saw many owner's in multiple FB groups, commenting about a very low mileage i.e., around 10 kmpl only, which scared me a little bit. 50% of travel contribution is from my daily commute to office 4.5 kms in 25-30mins
For any petrol powered car with 1200+ KG weight, the usual fuel efficiency will be between 10 to 14kmpl in B2B traffic conditions. The variance is directly proportional to driving style. I have friends who get upto around 12-14kmpl in Mumbai traffic conditions. And they are happy with it. Not a single one I know has complained or mentioned unhappiness about picking a petrol Nexon over diesel or any other petrol car.

(And they are also at peace in mind knowing they have one of the safest cars around them and have anyway put the average fuel consumption on #2 of priorities.)

Again - fuel efficiency varies a lot with individual driving conditions, styles and various other factors. Hard to get a mean value benchmark for any car.
Quote:
I know Diesel won't be good for a 12k/yr (Max) travel pattern, which is why I chose Petrol this time.
Note that using a diesel engine is not just about the mileage. The experience itself is something else. The low end torque, low RPM operation, almost nil variance in mileage in B2B conditions and highway, cooler driving temperatures etc are also significant factors for which some choose diesels over petrol regardless of running. (I'm one of those people.)
Quote:
Also, is that mandatory to have this 7,500/6 months periodic service to keep warranty intact?
Yes - beyond any doubt.

And wow - selling a reliable & safe built Toyota diesel car in just 3 years. At least you are going to get a good resale value for it for sure.
But why not continue with it? Mod it a bit if you want to rekindle affection with it? You'll lose a lot of money selling it so soon.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th July 2020 at 11:02.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:30   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
But one area of concern (a big one at that) was - the car felt strained when given the stick. The constant vibrations in the A-pedal did not help as well. Though 120 bhp would have been mostly neutralized by the heavy kerb weight - I still expected a little more eagerness.
That is strange. In my test drive, i felt it was pretty peppy, esp. in Sports mode above 2.5k it was pretty eager to move and once that turbo started to spin, revs climbed rather quickly without any stress. Do you remember what was the odo reading? May be it was nearing an oil change? the car i drove had 700kms on odo.
carriage.retorq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:36   #3081

Quote:
... I saw many owner's in multiple FB groups, commenting about a very low mileage i.e., around 10 kmpl only, which scared me a little bit. 50% of travel contribution is from my daily commute to office 4.5 kms in 25-30mins , due to the traffic condition. And the rest 50% will be from road trips - majority of them would be hill stations and ghat routes. Will I be able to maintain an economical relation with this vehicle? At least around 13-15 kmpl? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
... For any petrol powered car with 1200+ KG weight, the usual fuel efficiency will be between 10 to 14kmpl in B2B traffic conditions. The variance is directly proportional to driving style. I have friends who get upto around 12-14kmpl in Mumbai traffic conditions. And they are happy with it. Not a single one I know has complained or mentioned unhappiness about picking a petrol Nexon over diesel or any other petrol car.

(And they are also at peace in mind knowing they have one of the safest cars around them and have anyway put the average fuel consumption on #2 of priorities.)

Again - fuel efficiency varies a lot with individual driving conditions, styles and various other factors. Hard to get a mean value benchmark for any car. ...
To add to Reinhard's points on driving style, it seems small displacement turbo-petrol like those in nexon are more affected due to this. Even though they have high ARAI numbers, real world results vary greatly due to the driving style. These engines provide power at the cost of fuel efficiency or vice versa. I found this video will be helpful, if you need to know why that is the case.

Bagheera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:57   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy Nexon petrol (XM MT). I saw many owner's in multiple FB groups, commenting about a very low mileage i.e., around 10 kmpl only, which scared me a little bit. 50% of travel contribution is from my daily commute to office 4.5 kms in 25-30mins , due to the traffic condition. And the rest 50% will be from road trips - majority of them would be hill stations and ghat routes. Will I be able to maintain an economical relation with this vehicle? At least around 13-15 kmpl?
If you are used to driving a diesel in the city, extracting good fuel economy from any turbo petrol is going to be difficult. Petrols will need very light throttle inputs and gradual rev build up to return a double digit fuel economy in the city b2b traffic. Also if your car isn't warming up optimally, it will not return good fuel mileage. So multiple short drives end up returning less overall fuel economy. Although this might not be true for a smaller NA petrols of marutis, which are tuned for city drives with good low end torque.

Quote:
Also, is that mandatory to have this 7,500/6 months periodic service to keep warranty intact? As per the service schedule I could see its just a general check up.
Yes. (Even Honda has a 6k/6 month schedule)
carriage.retorq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:46   #3083
BHPian

Quote:

For any petrol powered car with 1200+ KG weight, the usual fuel efficiency will be between 10 to 14kmpl in B2B traffic conditions. The variance is directly proportional to driving style. I have friends who get upto around 12-14kmpl in Mumbai traffic conditions. And they are happy with it. Not a single one I know has complained or mentioned unhappiness about picking a petrol Nexon over diesel or any other petrol car.

Again - fuel efficiency varies a lot with individual driving conditions, styles and various other factors. Hard to get a mean value benchmark for any car.

Note that using a diesel engine is not just about the mileage. The experience itself is something else. The low end torque, low RPM operation, almost nil variance in mileage in B2B conditions and highway, cooler driving temperatures etc are also significant factors for which some choose diesels over petrol regardless of running. (I'm one of those people.)

Yes - beyond any doubt.
Thanks for sharing your views; I am not concerned upto a 12 kmpl mileage as a least value. Again, as you said depending on the driving style; I wanted to know if its something that is an issue of this specific engine or model which is not the case from what you have explained. Being a diesel user for the past 12yrs, I would want to try the Petrol one now; let's see how it goes

Quote:
And wow - selling a reliable & safe built Toyota diesel car in just 3 years. At least you are going to get a good resale value for it for sure.
But why not continue with it? Mod it a bit if you want to rekindle affection with it? You'll lose a lot of money selling it so soon.
If I could ever hold onto two vehicles, I would happily hold onto my Liva. Its indeed a gem of a car. But the travel I have had during the last 3 years proven that this car is not suitable for the terrain that I usually chose. Mainly ground clearance (happens to scrap the underbody a lot) and pulling power with 5 people on board. For city drives and highways, it's an unmatchable ride compared to any other diesel hatchback.
So far the experience is not much justifying the 'good resale value' concept though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
To add to Reinhard's points on driving style, it seems small displacement turbo-petrol like those in nexon are more affected due to this. Even though they have high ARAI numbers, real world results vary greatly due to the driving style. These engines provide power at the cost of fuel efficiency or vice versa. I found this video will be helpful, if you need to know why that is the case.
Thanks for sharing this - I did watch this and I believe technically that's what Tata have handed over to the customer to decide on through the ECO/CITY/SPORT modes. I need to drive and derive the fuel efficient+powerful spot as 'REINHARD' mentioned. In my Liva that's the downside I see since they have set up the torque delivery lenient at low rpm but less power, due to which the high terrains are difficult to drive with load.
BKB999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 00:54   #3084
BHPian

Just an update: Nexon XZA+ Petrol AMT 7800 kms.run.1 year old.

3rd free service done yesterday.Cost = Rs.1724.

3.5 litres of engine oil change.Castrol..i think they told me it was synthetic.Not sure.Oil drum seal was opened in front of me...older drum was empty by the time they tried to extract some for my car.10 kms.of drive done by technical engineer to check for wheel alignment and found not necessary to be done at this stage. Coolant and wiper liquid top up done.Not charged anything for this... TeamBhp stickers on car do help

Car wash done.First thought will only do outside wash.But after looking at their sanitisation process, allowed them to clean interior as well.

Service done at VenkataRamana motors,Kushaiguda, Hyderabad.Experience= genuinely 10/10. No request by front office to give them a 10 rating.Appreciate that. Their service head Mr.Rajmouli and Advisors are good.

Hoping to have the same experience with them in future.It is unfortunate that Tata ASS reputation is not that great.

However, I wish they had a 12 month service interval and not the current 6.
Ram78 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:44   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Just an update: Nexon XZA+ Petrol AMT 7800 kms.run.1 year old.

Can you let us know how the car is holding up. How is the driveability of the automatic, FE, highway drive experience. Is the Petrol automatic worth looking at ? Any major likes and dislikes based on your ownership?

Thsnks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:23   #3086
BHPian

Over the weekend, I finally had a chance to drive my BS6 Nexon XMA Petrol on highway for a few kilometers and the priorities of this engine were clearly evident to me. Below are some of the points I noticed:

1. The engine is not very rev-happy and its clearly designed to cruise on highway all day long. There is no point in revving the nuts of this motor.
2. Engine builds up speed in a very linear fashion and progress is quick between 30 to 90 km/h. This engine can cruise at triple digit speed without breaking a sweat.
3. Quick overtake will certainly require a downshift.
3. The 6th cog almost makes it feel like a diesel engine, its very relaxed at 100-120 km/h.
4. NVH is acceptable but Tata could have done better with liberal use of insulation materials, especially around the firewall area to cut down on engine noise. Vibrations are almost non-existent when the engine is warmed up.
5. The difference between modes is very noticeable and not a marketing gimmick.
6. Someone looking for a punchy petrol engine will be disappointed. Its mostly because how this engine is tuned. The 1.0 EcoSport I had before Nexon was more punchy in the midrange but ran out of breath very quickly post 100 km/h. Nexon's engine keeps going even after 90-100 km/h.

Coming to the AMT gearbox, its best to drive it in manual mode while on highway. It gives you the flexibility to downshift while overtaking. A note to anyone who is considering an AMT gearbox (irrespective of brand); if its the first time you're considering an automatic vehicle, go right ahead and I'm sure you'll get use to the gearbox without many issues. As for someone who loves to drive hard or has driven a CVT, DCT or TC, stay far far away.
k.sumit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:24   #3087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Can you let us know how the car is holding up. How is the driveability of the automatic, FE, highway drive experience. Is the Petrol automatic worth looking at ? Any major likes and dislikes based on your ownership?

Thsnks
So far it has been a great experience…but it’s just 7000 odd kms.old and hence early days to authoritatively comment.

It’s a heavy car and to know it,you need to drive a Maruti.There have been no rattles till date.I love the steering. Petrol is smooth. Highway drive is pleasurable. Few months back, drove from Hyderabad to Wayanad and back with 6 passengers ie.2 adults who are 70+ , 3 who are over 30 + one 10 year old kid and loads of luggage. Never felt the need for extra power. Yes, there was a challenge wrt.space but not something that spoilt the journey. Suspension held up really well. Ride comfort was as good as a Duster that I previously had.Boy ! the tyres are huge and will bring a smile to your face

But do note that it is an AMT and not a conventional Automatic and this AMT..the 2019 vesion atleast surely is not tuned properly for city drives. Upshift from 1st to 2nd gear takes ages and I almost always shift to manual mode in city. Wagon R AMT in comparison upshifts very well. Except for this everything else is good.

Due to my limited drives ie.approx.10000 kms per year,I was clear that I needed a petrol car. Frankly,im an illiterate wrt. the power, torque or other intricacies. There have been comments about NVH levels but I never felt that as an intrusion. But have read that the drive experience in a diesel Nexon is better. Having owned the diesel Duster and Crysta,im more than happy with my petrol Nexon. After sales service which is very important has touchwood been very good as of date.

FE: In city with 80% AC on it is 10 average. On highways,i think i got somewhere between 14-16.

I wanted the Cruise control feature but unfortunately when i bought it a year back the feature was not introduced.But the 2020 version has the same in the top variant.I will miss it.

For me safety is of prime importance and when I sit inside my Nexon I feel assured that i'm in a safe zone. If safety is not on top of your priority list,then Nexon is not for you.There are better best selling options.Check them out.

Overall I would rate it 8/10. 1 point reduction for the lousy AMT and another 1 reduction for the design at the back.Somehow i did not like it.Still went ahead due to the safety features,absolute Value for Money and Made in India tag.

Will i buy another Nexon AMT with my current experience? Answer is a big YES ! Esp.so with the extra features introduced in the current models.

Now coming to your question of whether Nexon is worth looking at: The good points is what i have mentioned about. Many have complained about the disastrous Tata service.Trust me i only had good experience.So opinions vary. Go for the Nexon only if you are 100% convinced about the TATA brand. Else even if there is a small rattle,you will feel that the car is about to break down because it is a Tata. Every car has its issues..what the heck..even my Toyota Crysta had issues from the 3rd month !!

Another good option for you to look at: Newly launched Ecosport,automatic variant.But well,it has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by Ram78 : 20th July 2020 at 23:41.
Ram78 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:36   #3088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Over the weekend, I finally had a chance to drive my BS6 Nexon XMA Petrol on highway for a few kilometers and the priorities of this engine were clearly evident to me.
Did you check out the hill hold feature on this car? Most AMT cars do get a bad press because of rolling back on inclines when shifting from brake to accelerator.
Also did you happen to check the mileage?

Last edited by damodar : 20th July 2020 at 23:37.
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 00:24   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Did you check out the hill hold feature on this car? Most AMT cars do get a bad press because of rolling back on inclines when shifting from brake to accelerator.
Also did you happen to check the mileage?
Haven't had a chance to check the hill hold feature yet but I've been told that this time around it works better than the erstwhile creep function that was marketed as hill hold. MID was showing 17.9 kmpl when I ended the trip at 75 kms which was a mix of highway and city drive. I'll discount that by 1.5 to 2 kmpl going by the history of error reported in this thread.

Last edited by k.sumit : 21st July 2020 at 00:29.
k.sumit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 09:39   #3090
BANNED

Nexon rendered to look like an off-roader and butch.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-2020tatanexonoffroadrender4.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-2020tatanexonoffroadrender21068x601.jpg

Render by Alen Sam Joseph, source.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks