Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2019, 09:35   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Bhatt View Post
@sandeepsarma, @sag_kv, how are you finding the effectiveness of the aircon? .
You'll get used to it in some time. I figured out that you can keep the fan in auto and see that you keep the cabin temp setting about 10 to 12 degrees less that outside temp shown. This adjusted the air con fan optimally for effective cooling. During summer you can keep the difference at 15 degrees.

A well ago had been to Chennai for a one day trip. When I returned found damage on the Sunroof beeding.
The beeding must have bitten by some bird. Its vert fragile and when i enquired the showroom people say it will cost 17k to replace and they say the rear fixed glass had to be removed for replacing the beeding.
Anybody had similar issues.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th June 2019 at 10:15. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
sag_kv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 19:49   #332
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Guys, I have a question for all the experts out there. I have been offered a 4 lakh discount on a 2018 manufactured Kodiaq (Red Color - Style version) the odo reads 46 kms. I do plan to keep the car for a long time, say 8 to 10 years. Need some advice.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2019 at 14:24. Reason: Typo corrected.
Old 9th June 2019, 20:18   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Guys, I have a question for all the experts out there. I have been offered a 4 lakh discount on a 2018 manufactured Kodiaq (Red Color - Style version) the odo reads 46 kms. I do plan to keep the car for a long time, say 8 to 10 years. Need some advice.
The discount is tempting no doubt. However 8 to 10 years is an awfully long time to maintain a European car. Once the warranty runs out it may become a severe drain on resources to keep it running. Tread carefully since you plan to keep the car for quite long.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2019 at 14:32. Reason: Quoted post edited
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 22:02   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have a question for all the experts out there. I have been offered a 4 lakh discount on a 2018 manufactured Kodiaq (Red Color - Style version) the odo reads 46 kms. I do plan to meet the car for a long time, say 8 to 10 years. Need some advice.
If I am buying a diesel car and I want to keep it for next 8-10 years, I would certainly wait and try to get a car with BS VI compliant engine.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 23:21   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If I am buying a diesel car and I want to keep it for next 8-10 years, I would certainly wait and try to get a car with BS VI compliant engine.
And I also think the more powerful 190bhp tune of the 2.0TDI which we all have been waiting for would come with the introduction of BS6. I still don't understand how difficult it is for Skoda to launch the 190bhp version when it's already available with the current gen Q5.

Last edited by TSIVTEC : 9th June 2019 at 23:38.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 10:53   #336
BHPian

Quote:
German cars are built well but then again after reaching 8-10 years of age, any car would start to show problems and often needing change of parts or replacements in which case, the Kodiaq might not be the best bet. Sure, there are plenty of cars on the road even now, 1st Gen Octys and Superbs that still do the rounds. But if you ask the owners about their service and spare parts cost, you'd get a better idea on what you can expect too. I would say 6 years should be good considering you can opt for the extended warranty too so any major issues will be taken care of by the brand and the brand themselves won't give that option unless they know fairly well that the cars can last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
And I also think the more powerful 190bhp tune of the 2.0TDI which we all have been waiting for would come with the introduction of BS6.
As per my sales guy at Skoda, it seems that they aren't planning for it, at least not yet even with BS VI. I too would've loved a 190 hp engine or perhaps the VRS but Indian market is probably not ready for the same either. More power would result in lower fuel efficiency and considering how the Kodiaq is already not too great in that respect, the other models might not really do well. In fact, the VRS might have a better chance since people who get a VRS definitely know what they are getting and fuel efficiency is very low on their list of needs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2019 at 14:33. Reason: Quoted post edited.
sandeepsarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 11:17   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
German cars are built well but then again after reaching 8-10 years of age, any car would start to show problems and often needing change of parts or replacements in which case, the Kodiaq might not be the best bet. Sure, there are plenty of cars on the road even now, 1st Gen Octys and Superbs that still do the rounds. But if you ask the owners about their service and spare parts cost, you'd get a better idea on what you can expect too.
I own a Skoda Yeti (May 2011, so 8 years old). Except for the one time expenditure that I had to incur thanks to my adventure of driving the Yeti into a 2feet deep pond of water (during the Mumbai deluge in 2017), it has been absolutely painless! Have not spent more than the 15-18k per annum service cost ever. Have driven 1.1lac km so far and it still runs smoother than the Captur I own. Being a CKD (and the Kodiaq is a CKD too), the quality I believe is fantastic and hence the case. So based on my first hand experience with a Skoda, I don't think an 8 year target is ill placed.
Sachin Bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 12:00   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Bhatt View Post
I own a Skoda Yeti (May 2011, so 8 years old). So based on my first hand experience with a Skoda, I don't think an 8 year target is ill placed.

Thats good to hear. My main doubt is not with Skoda build but rather with the Indian roads and driving conditions which can take a toll on the cars. But if maintained well like you have, I think the Kodiaq too should be fine then.
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 12:32   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have a question for all the experts out there. I have been offered a 4 lakh discount on a 2018 manufactured Kodiaq (Red Color - Style version) the odo reads 46 kms. I do plan to meet the car for a long time, say 8 to 10 years. Need some advice.
Guys just to further add on the above - being in oilfield my cars don't run much. I had a Superb before (1.8 TSI) which had run 26k in 5 years. My current CR-V has done 17k on the odo since Aug 2016.

I am guessing that the running will have an impact on the aging of a car, and hence the long term target.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2019 at 14:30. Reason: Typo corrected.
Old 10th June 2019, 14:07   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Guys just to further add on the above - being in oilfield my cars don't run much. I had a Superb before (1.8 TSI) which had run 26k in 5 years. My current CR-V has done 17k on the odo since Aug 2016.

I am guessing that the running will have an impact on the aging of a car, and hence the long term target.
That is very low. In that case I would say it should easily stay for the said period. Your superb would be a good measure too as I'm sure it is still in great condition. Parts will deteriorate with time especially stuff like batteries but it still won't amount to the wear and tear caused by actually driving and using the car. I dont think you'll have any issue then. My usage is on the other hand quite high. My X1 I sold at almost 10k kms in 7 months of ownership. My Octavia had racked up close to 36k in 1 year and 9 months as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2019 at 14:31. Reason: Quoted post edited.
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 16:16   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't worry too much.
These cars age well : The engine is reliable, suspension & other parts also shouldn't throw up issues. Our Audi A6 is now 8 years old and has done nearly 50Kkm on the odo, and our Laura had done 75Kkm in the 5 years we owned it without much trouble.

That being said, a bigger issue with the Germans is to do with the following:

1) Tech: In the A6 it was the Air suspension which was a pain point (and a few small electronic niggles). The Kodiaq on the other hand shouldn't have these issues as it doesn't come with an Air Suspension or similar.
That being said, I would still be a little wary of the DSG gearbox as there aren't any long term reviews on the same. If it fails outside warranty period - a replacement will be Rs. 1-2lakhs.

2) AC, ABS Sensors: These are the other two issues most Germans are plagued with due to Indian summer conditions. I don't reckon the AC would be an issue as Skoda has worked on it and these issues were only there in the initial batches. The ABS sensor sometimes goes wonky due to dust IIRC so a good periodic detailing should take care of it. In the 75Kkm with the Laura, this failed only once.

If you like the car - 2018 with the discount would be worth it - you save enough for extended warranty, and also cover a chunk of your maintenance cost for the next few years.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 16:28   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That being said, a bigger issue with the Germans is to do with the following:

1) Tech:That being said, I would still be a little wary of the DSG gearbox as there aren't any long term reviews on the same. If it fails outside warranty period - a replacement will be Rs. 1-2lakhs.
I have a complementary view here:

In a manual, you would end up changing the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) + clutch kit at least once every ~4 years / 50k km. This would easily cost around 50K with labour and GST. I paid 46K in 2015 for a similar change in my manual Cruze.

Simply budget for the same 'change' in the German DSG/TC gearboxes, put it into a FD (out of sight, out of mind), and you are done with it .

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th June 2019 at 16:29.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 18:18   #343
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should go for it. Kodiaq is a looker and a keeper for sure with the well established engine and DSG, well built and feature packed. The discount offered is making it even a sweeter deal. I don't think Skoda will come up with a higher tuned engine for Kodiaq. Better to seal the deal before any watered down version (karooq ?) is introduced here.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 22:33   #344
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

One thing that puzzles me about extended warranties with brands like skoda is whether to take it or not. Taking extended warranty means you no longer have option to service in after market where high quality service can be had for much cheaper cost. Also perhaps in some instances better quality service where the A.S.S is a cheat or plain incompetent.

If you have a very long term warranty, you are also committing to a longer tenure of much more expensive service and possibly even unreliable service.

Devil and deep sea choice of warranty peace of mind vs service pain in the neck.

Thoughts anyone??
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 00:00   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One thing that puzzles me about extended warranties with brands like skoda is whether to take it or not.
With German cars it goes without saying, purchase Extended Warranty as much it is available.

VAG cars normally only need regular servicing. Wear & tear is nominal unless OEM parts car bad, e.g. Vento rear suspension and front suspension strut kit mounts.

I have been sending my car to A.S.S. workshop only. VW Autobahn Nerul is very competent and not expensive. Same goes for BMW Infinity Turbhe, with BSI+RI cost is not a factor.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks