Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 13:24   #166
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
please elaborate on whats the actual difference with AUX heating ?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4549515 (Ford Endeavour facelift launch in early 2019. EDIT: Spotted in India)
Old 8th January 2021, 12:15   #167
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure about this?

I still think there was more to these rear controls than just "air mixing". My understanding was that the Endeavour had a dedicated cooling/heating unit which could be operated independent of front climate controls.
Old 12th January 2021, 16:50   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Are you sure about this?

I still think there was more to these rear controls than just "air mixing". My understanding was that the Endeavour had a dedicated cooling/heating unit which could be operated independent of front climate controls.
Searching online for "what is a vehicle's aux heating system" yields following result;

"Vehicles are generally heated by waste heat from the internal combustion engine. Auxiliary heaters provide supplementary heating for the passenger compartment of cars without having to rely on the heat given off by the engine."

I've looked for various references to the Endeavour without any satisfactory answers. The auxillary feature is highlighted in other vehicles as described above. This is different to 'zoning' referred to in various posts... though previous models did indeed have two separate zones for the driver and passenger in front with controls in the rear for a third zone covering rest of the cabin, which could also be controlled from the dashboard's touchscreen.
Arbind Ray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 14:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbind Ray View Post
I've looked for various references to the Endeavour without any satisfactory answers
Aux heater was indeed the rear heating unit.

As per my observations from a December 2020 manufactured Endeavour, post this change one can no longer control the temperature of air emanating from rear (2nd and 3rd row) vents, neither via front console nor via rear controls. As far I could gather, the temperature is "fixed" for rear vents and one can only control the blower speed.
Old 20th January 2021, 17:59   #170
BHPian

Mine is the 2019 2.2 AT model. This SUV has 3 zone AC. The front 2 zones (driver and co-driver) are equipped with automatic climate control. The rear zone (2nd and 3rd rows) is normal AC with no automatic climate control but just a conventional temperature control knob.

My guess regarding removing the rear temperature control knob is that the 2nd and 3rd row vents will blow air at the same temperature as either the driver or the co-driver setting.
Old 20th January 2021, 20:07   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2avg View Post
My guess regarding removing the rear temperature control knob is that the 2nd and 3rd row vents will blow air at the same temperature as either the driver or the co-driver setting.
That's incorrect, although logical. I set the front temperature to max but the rear vents continued to blow cold air, even though the front ones were spewing hot air.
Old 20th January 2021, 20:22   #172
BHPian

Quote:
That's incorrect, although logical. I set the front temperature to max but the rear vents continued to blow cold air, even though the front ones were spewing hot air.
That would mean rear has an independent AC. Something doesn't add up.
Old 20th January 2021, 22:43   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2avg View Post
That would mean rear has an independent AC. Something doesn't add up.
It reminds me of when I went to upgrade the Synch 2 system of my Endeavour (Sept 2016 Titanium) with SatNav. The installer noticed a puddle beside the rear offside wheel and remarked that condensation might have drained off from the air-conditioner, though I don't recall switching it on in the first place. Is it possible that the air-conditioning unit for rear cabin is located at the back of the vehicle?

The other confusion is reference to the term 'auxillary'. In some posts it is being referred to as a zoning issue whereas online search also explains it as an independent electrical element which initially warms up the cabin without need to wait for the engine to heat up...very useful in colder climates. More commonly available are heated steering wheel and seats that also help keep the driver and passengers warm sooner.
Old 20th January 2021, 22:56   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible that the air-conditioning unit for rear cabin is located at the back of the vehicle?
Could be in that model. However the confusion I was referring to here was that Ford removed the temperature control knob from the rear row, which means rear row does not have an independent temperature zone. However BHP'ian cool_dube still ended up getting cold air from rear vents even though the front (and only) temperature was set to HI.

Quote:
...whereas online search also explains it as an independent electrical element which initially warms up the cabin without need to wait for the engine to heat up...
Yes that is the right definition of auxiliary heat as far as I know.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:15   #175
BHPian

After taking the test drive of 2.0 4x4 Endeavour, I was disappointed as the performance was very slow (in comparison with Fortuner 2.8 and Endeavour 3.2). Few days back, a friend of mine took delivery of a 2.0 4x2 Titanium Plus Endeavour. I drove the car in the city for 30 minutes and felt that it was more sprightly than the 4x4 I test drove. I did not accelerate hard because of the run-in period. The car completed 1200 kilometres yesterday and I got the chance to push it hard and I can confidently say that the 4x2 feels much faster than the 4x4. It feels light on its feet and pulls hard unlike the 4x4. I speculate this is not because of 100 kg weight advantage but because the Endeavour is a full time 4WD.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
After taking the test drive of 2.0 4x4 Endeavour, I was disappointed as the performance was very slow...

I speculate this is not because of 100 kg weight advantage but because the Endeavour is a full time 4WD.
You are right on both fronts. The 4wd variant of the Endeavour 2.0 feels quite lethargic as it is not only 100 kgs heavier than the RWD but also features full-time 4wd. This was not palpable in the 3.2 lit due to the sheer muscle of the engine, but the 2.0 has its limitations. This makes me wonder if the 2.0 lit Endeavour in the 4wd avatar will actually struggle under challenging scenarios and difficult terrain!

While the Endeavour trumps the Fortuner (yes, even the facelifted one) in almost all aspects, it fails miserably in the department that matters the most - engine performance! Wonder what made Ford decide to plonk a single-turbo 2.0 lit engine in this behemoth of an SUV?! Heck, SUVs weighing 70% of the Endeavour get a 2.0 lit engine with 170 BHP on tap, albeit with a lower torque figure. Another problem with the 2.0 is the narrow torque band (2000-2500 rpm) which is quite evident by the super frequent switching of the auto-box, working overtime to keep the engine it its peppy band. Might be detrimental to the health of the transmission in the long run, IMO.

All in all, it is really sad that Ford has sealed the fate of such a capable and lovely SUV by this stupid move
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 18:06   #177
BHPian

Quote:
You are right on both fronts. The 4wd variant of the Endeavour 2.0 feels quite lethargic as it is not only 100 kgs heavier than the RWD but also features full-time 4wd. This was not palpable in the 3.2 lit due to the sheer muscle of the engine,
After driving the 2.0 4x2, I even felt that if the 3.2 was a part time 4WD, it would have been even better to drive. Honestly speaking i like the 2.0 4x2 more than the 3.2 4WD because the gearbox feels much nicer and the car is quick to accelerate within the city. The 3.2 used to struggle within the city and the gearbox was also in a mind of its own just like my Breeza AMT (although much much less than the AMT).
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 19:17   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
After driving the 2.0 4x2, I even felt that if the 3.2 was a part time 4WD, it would have been even better to drive. Honestly speaking i like the 2.0 4x2 more than the 3.2 4WD because the gearbox feels much nicer and the car is quick to accelerate within the city. The 3.2 used to struggle within the city and the gearbox was also in a mind of its own just like my Breeza AMT (although much much less than the AMT).
Agree that the 6-speed transmission of the 3.2 had its own hits and misses, and was not the best of its kind for sure. That said, the 10-speed on the 2.0 is more of a necessity than a goodie - imagine a 6-speed trying to keep the small engine in that narrow torque band to extract maximum performance

On the part-time 4WD, yes - it has its advantage when it comes to efficiency, refinement, and improved performance over a full-time 4WD. That said, the latter has its own benefits around better drivability and control, especially in hilly terrain and wet highways. I simply love the SS II of my Pajero SFX which provides me with the best of both worlds - can seamlessly switch between RWD and full-time 4WD! Wish they made such systems these days
Old 29th January 2021, 19:33   #179
Senior - BHPian

Calling upon Endeavour 2.0 owners

A question to owners of Endeavour 2.0 4wd - would love to hear your experiences on driving the 2.0 4x4 in the hills! Did the car leave you wanting for more power at any point?

Thanks in advance...
Old 1st February 2021, 17:04   #180
BHPian

I know this is a stupid way to test a car's power but here is a random youtube video of tug of war between Ford endeavour 3.2 vs 2.0. At the end of the video, the 2.0 endeavour wins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks