Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 16:19   #706
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post
I might be able to answer some of your queries. I own a September 2020 manual Harrier (XM) and have completed >5000 km on thus far. The 2020 variant includes updates from the initial batches and I believe is an update version of the variant launched in 2019. As per my service advisor, TATA has worked on the niggles reported from the initial batch vehicles.

Have been closely following up on the niggles reported on the thread and touchwood, haven't encountered any of those in my vehicle. It has been a trouble free ownership thus far.

My use case is primarily of highway travel (including rough country roads) and I had a preference of manual transmission, however the Auto version is also earning a lot of praises. I would advise you to take a long test drive of the manual as well, you wont be disappointed. Especially on highway drives, the Sports mode is bound to make addictive of the grunt and accelaration.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I found the auto to be brilliant hence my dilemma. I need to try the manual to see if it's as good with it's highway and broken road performance as the auto, and if the glitches reported in the 2019 version have been ironed out in the latest manual offering.
Old 15th February 2021, 12:00   #707
BHPian

This is my first post in Team-BHP, and it can't get any better than posting about a car I own and adore.

I have a Feb 2019 Tata Harrier, 25k kms done and I will take a shot to try and answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post

1. The Harrier version that was launched in 2020- was it only the automatic? In other words, are the current manual variants on the market all dating back to 2019?

Thus: the 2020 Harrier range is the XMA Auto, the XZA Auto and the XZA Plus Autos?
The 2020 launch of Harrier had quite a few changes in the manual variant:

i. Engine changes - BS IV to BS VI, 140 BHP to 170 BHP, presumably more refined, launch of Automatic variant.
ii. Cosmetic changes - Redesigned (or recolored) front and rear bumpers, OVRM resized & puddle lamp removed, panoramic sunroof added, redesigned alloys
iii. Interior - USB & AUX port relocated to make is easier to access, dashboard design changed to minimize the left knee meddle with the central console
iv. Other - niggles sorted out, less NVH

Quote:
2. If the above is correct, does it mean that as of now- the manual (2019) version still has the niggles/ issues that were referred to in the Team BHP review?
Most of the niggles are sorted out, in the manual variant as well. A few still prevail, noticeably, the HU software glitches.

Quote:
3. I loved the Auto, but since I will mostly not drive myself, would the manual be a better choice?
The manual is still a great car, I have absolutely no regrets. However, the automatic is better. If it is predominantly going to be chauffeur driven, manual would be the wiser choice.
Mechanto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 12:30   #708
BANNED

Tata Dealer locator, not able to find any in Kalburgi

Folks,

I was planning to test drive the Harrier and inquire about the AT. https://dealer-locator.cars.tatamotors.com/ does not list Kalburgi (also called Gulbarga), while much smaller towns (Bijapur, Bagalkot) are listed on it. Is this accurate?

Google lists one VKG motors. Had been there yesterday (holiday) and the place looked many times smaller than the Ford/Mahindra/Hyundai/Kia/Maruti showrooms (all open!) in the vicinity. There was no board or such indicating Tata. ;(

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2021 at 18:37. Reason: Spacing, language
vjoy3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 13:46   #709
BHPian

Re: Tata Dealer locator, not able to find any in Kalburgi

Hi. I’m in no way related to Bangalore, but decided to answer this query anyway, since it would take me just one Google search.

So here goes:
  • VKG motors very much exists, or, existed. Carandbike, Autoportal etc. all list VKG Motors.
  • The showroom listing on Google doesn’t have any website/phone number.
  • There are a few pictures too, but none of them has the Safari or the Harrier on the showroom floor.
  • But, there is one interesting review on Google, it is from 4 weeks ago, by a Harish Kulkarni. He says that VKG Motors is not an authorised service centre anymore, since service work done there doesn’t reflect in the official TATA service database. He also writes that hand written spares bill/tax invoice are given without part code and other particulars and doesn’t recommend it at all.
  • Tata could have shut down VKG Motors, that’s why it’s not mentioned on the website.
  • What you can do is call up Tata motors, and check with them for your nearest dealer, or wait till a BHPian from Gulbarga responds.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-110795923b3b412ea43b1d1d22eaa135.jpeg
EightSix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:55   #710
BHPian

Thanks so much @Mechanto. For some reason I'm unable to quote you.

The auto is such a sweet sweet car that I'm torn.
Old 15th February 2021, 19:56   #711
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Test drove the Harrier today.
If its okay to share, can you comment on the final price approximate number
vjoy3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:13   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
If its okay to share, can you comment on the final price approximate number

Here's the On Road price (Mangalore).

XZA+ (DT)
Ex showroom 20,45,500
Insurance - 1,01,151*
Life Tax/State Cess 4,11,229
Fast-tag 600
TCS 15,341
Essential kit 25,999*
Extended warranty 30,000

*Insurance: Informed my SA that I will get my insurance done outside and he agreed to price match or if they cannot - avail it outside.
*Essential kit: Opting only for the actual essentials minus the blingy chrome (which I hate) - should come up to 15,000 instead of 26K
* SA informed that no discounts available for XZA+ except for a exchange bonus of 40K

On Road Price (including extended warranty- insurance): INR 25,02,670/-
Insurance (outside) would be about 65K approx (for highest IDV)
Total of INR 25,67,670

Last edited by The Riddler : 15th February 2021 at 20:14. Reason: Forgot to add quote
The Riddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:45   #713
BHPian

Quick question for the experts.

Having researched the Harrier extensively, for me the key difference between two Harrier Automatics, XMA and XZA, is the feature - Traction Control System (TC/TCS).

My humble question to this forum is that - is this Traction Control feature all that important? While I will be traveling in the hills a lot is this feature a deal breaker like (for example) a car having no airbags?

There's a price difference of around 2.5 Lakh between both versions.

Finally- Given my choices only, this is NOT a comment on someone else's choices
Old 16th February 2021, 14:10   #714
BHPian

Quote:

Having researched the Harrier extensively, for me the key difference between two Harrier Automatics, XMA and XZA, is the feature - Traction Control System (TC/TCS).

My humble question to this forum is that - is this Traction Control feature all that important? While I will be traveling in the hills a lot is this feature a deal breaker like (for example) a car having no airbags?

Traction control is used to help drivers accelerate on slippery or low-friction conditions. These conditions include when roads are wet, icy, uneven, loose, or poorly maintained. Hitting a patch of slushy road that causes the vehicle to slow down as the wheels lose traction.

The Harrier is quite a heavy vehicle and doesn't come with 4WD. Once you lose traction on muddy surfaces, you are going to spin your wheels with little control. Traction Control will help you get out of such situations though without 4WD, if you get stuck deep, then TC also can't help. Experts can add more if possible.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 16:35   #715
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Finally- Given my choices only, this is NOT a comment on someone else's choices
IIRC, weren't electronic safety aids standard across all Harrier variants? Was/Am I mistaken or has Tata silently rejigged the feature distribution across variants?
Old 16th February 2021, 19:29   #716
BHPian

Quote:

To me the key difference between XMA and XZA would be 2 airbags vs 6.

If you are specific about the traction control system - it is more of a gimmick and if you trust it to get you on a beach sand, you may have to probably spend the night in the beach hoping for some tractor to come and rescue you the next morning (happened to me ).
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 21:11   #717
BHPian

Quote:

The traction Control is a very useful feature and can get you out of many situations from where a car without traction Control will be stuck - scenarios which are we are likely to face on-road. Not comparing 4wd only situations. See the video below that I have attached.
If budget permits, I will recommend go for the XZA over XMA. You get the traction Control and lot more goodies, the XZA is seriously premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanto View Post
To me the key difference between XMA and XZA would be 2 airbags vs 6.

If you are specific about the traction control system - it is more of a gimmick and if you trust it to get you on a beach sand, you may have to probably spend the night in the beach hoping for some tractor to come and rescue you the next morning (happened to me ).
It is not a gimmick and can actually help you get out where a normal FWD car will get stuck. Obviously it is not completely fool-proof like say, a Compass Trailhawk but good enough for mild adventures. See this video.

Candy$Cars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 21:17   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about this? At least the Harrier website says that Traction Control is available in both XMA and XZA.

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-tc.jpg
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 21:55   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
IIRC, weren't electronic safety aids standard across all Harrier variants? Was/Am I mistaken or has Tata silently rejigged the feature distribution across variants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Are you sure about this? At least the Harrier website says that Traction Control is available in both XMA and XZA.

Attachment 2122474
Below is what I picked from Carwale, my go to resource (so now am confused)

Edit: I guess I'd believe the official website over a secondary resource. Thanks everyone, and especially sierrabravo98 and comfortablynumb!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-cars-compare.jpg  

Last edited by C'estlavie : 16th February 2021 at 22:05.
C'estlavie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:38   #720
BHPian

My Harrier has now driven a little over 1000 Kms. I noticed something strange about average fuel economy display in the instrument cluster. It seems to always show 11.8 Kmpl (despite resetting couple of times). I am not sure if this low or reasonable, but I really wonder why it seems to always get stuck at a magic number of 11.8 Kmpl (irrespective of driving conditions - highway or bumper-to-bumper city traffic - all 3 driving modes - has been the same in last 1000 Kms). Has anyone else noticed this ? Is the fuel economy gauge even reasonably accurate or just too unreliable ? What is the typical mileage of automatic (mine is xza+ variant) post 1st service ? Thanks!

Last edited by pc73 : 18th February 2021 at 09:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks