Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 13:38   #766

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Hello BHPians,

Finally sharing glimpses of my sparkling black 4x2 AT Fortuner, I have driven it roughly 1300 kms in one month and have used it mostly on highways and occasionally on hilly areas and minor offroading.

We did test drive MG Gloster and researched about the scorpio N and XUV 700 but never felt them being a replacement or competitor of Fortuner (before you guys call me out with the specifications sheet, I refer to the difference more on emotional bias rather than a practical one) as of now I haven't been disappointed with the performance and the sheer road presence one receives while driving this vehicle explains why its the best seller in its segment however the body roll issue is real and can be experienced however it's an SUV thing and experience more or less in every SUV.

I personally find sparkling black colour on Fortuner way more appealing than the typical white or even attitude black, no offence to anyone, Fortuner looks elegant in all colours it's just my personal preference to opt for darker shades with subtle dual tones, my honda city which the fortuner will be sharing the garage with shares the similar shade of black/brown so it's a personal call.

While the only issue with this shade is it being highly prone to scratches and swirl marks, I opted for a PPF from detailing bull, Indore as the solution and I'll be receiving my vehicle by tomorrow (will update you guys with the end results of it too)

I have queries regarding accessories and underbody coating for my Fortuner, I personally prefer minimalism and would not like additional chrome and now with PPF done, paint safety is taken care of however any additional accessory which improves its looks should be purchased or not? Coming to another query of underbody coating, Toyota is quoting Rs 4700+GST of 3M coating with 1 year warranty, is it worth it or should I look into alternatives?

Awaiting valuable input from fellow BHPians.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220727-12.42.53-pm-1.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220727-12.42.53-pm.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220727-12.43.46-pm.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220727-12.44.47-pm.jpeg

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220727-12.42.53-pm-2.jpeg

Name:  detailing bull.jpeg
Views: 1302
Size:  35.4 KB

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20220727-12.43.26-pm.jpeg
shivamgiri22 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:06   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamgiri22 View Post
Hello BHPians,
Finally sharing glimpses of my sparkling black 4x2 AT Fortuner
Congratulations! IMHO perhaps the best new shade introduced by Toyota in recent new years

Quote:
...I have queries regarding accessories and underbody coating for my Fortuner,
Are they offering 3M Schultz? Think the warranty could be better.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th July 2022 at 00:59. Reason: Quote tags
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 21:50   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
That is correct . Shultz Gold comes with 5 year warranty. I got it done as well in our local 3M store https://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/...erbody-coating

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th July 2022 at 00:59. Reason: Quoted post edited
Contrapunto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 04:26   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Finally sharing glimpses of my sparkling black 4x2 AT Fortuner, I have driven it roughly 1300 kms in one month and have used it mostly on highways and occasionally on hilly areas and minor offroading.
Congratulations on your purchase!!
The car looks amazing (IMO this looks better than the Legender, maybe because of the black color)
Do you plan on upgrading the tyres/wheels ??
shauryadabas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:10   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Congratulations! IMHO perhaps the best new shade introduced by Toyota in recent new years

Not enquired much on it back then during my first servicing, but now that I'm looking forward to getting underbody coating I'll be looking into the options and asking the Toyota folks regarding this, thanks for letting me know that the warranty is longer than the one the mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauryadabas View Post
Congratulations on your purchase!! The car looks amazing (IMO this looks better than the Legender, maybe because of the black color)
Do you plan on upgrading the tyres/wheels ??
Thank you sir, about tyres, No, I don't plan to update them anytime soon as these tyres serve my purpose very well however I'll surely be upgrading the horns of it as they surely aren't in sync with the vehicle.

How much did the underbody coating cost you sir?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th July 2022 at 13:23. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
shivamgiri22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:49   #771
Senior - BHPian

Ever since I sold my Yeti 4x4 last year with just around 70000 kms in 9 years, I am contemplating a replacement. However, the diesel 10 years ownership rule in NCR had thrown the replacement decision into quite a doldrum. Want to understand the merits of opting for a petrol Fortuner.

Pros of opting for Petrol Fortuner
-------------------------------------
1) 15 years of ownership in NCR against 10 years for diesel.
2) Low running (hardly 7000-8000 kms a year).
3) Cheaper maintenance and more reliable over diesel variants (no overhead with Adblue, DPF etc.)
4) Better NVH and comfort than diesel.
5) Less risk of being banned altogether being petrol.
6) Lesser initial cost of vehicle (2-2.5 Lacs than diesel variant)

Cons of opting for Petrol Fortuner
--------------------------------------
1) Low FE
2) Lesser torque and boring driving experience
3) No 4x4 option
4) Lesser resale value and possibly lesser demand in resale market.

Though I am not a hardcore offroader, would prefer to have a 4x4 option for situation (1% of the time) when you drive over wet, muddy slush and snowy conditions. But for 99% of the time, I guess a 4x2 should work just for me. So now, mind says to opt for a petrol 4x2 MT fortuner, considering the NCR limitation, but heart rules to opt for the diesel MT 4x4 as it offered a more complete peace of mind.

Would love to hear your viewpoints.

Last edited by iTNerd : 28th July 2022 at 14:56.
iTNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 16:05   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Ever since I sold my Yeti 4x4 last year with just around 70000 kms in 9 years, I am contemplating a replacement. However, the diesel 10 years ownership rule in NCR had thrown the replacement decision into quite a doldrum. Want to understand the merits of opting for a petrol Fortuner.
If your running is seriously low and you would be doing just about 7k-8k km a year I would suggest you look after the petrol Fortuner you would be more than happy with its performance, and it would turn out cheaper than the diesel variants and be in NCR you wouldn't be facing a ban after ten years, moreover, you aren't a hardcore off-roader so 4×2 will do well in most of the situations. Although the waiting period for the petrol variants would be on the higher side.

Last edited by navin : 28th July 2022 at 16:31. Reason: Trimmed the quoted text, spelling and gramamar
zaid qazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 16:16   #773
BHPian

Quote:
2) Lesser torque and boring driving experience
This. When you spend so much you would want to have fun when out on highways since you can't really enjoy much in city traffic anyways. The petrol version isn't that cheap either, plus it's some 2 decade old engine with specs suitable for a sub-20 lakh car and even XUV700 and ScorpioN petrol got more grunt than petrol Fortuner. Toyota has that engine just for the sake of our randomly changing laws. The engine is not bad but there's no comparison between that and 2.8GD especially when it comes to fun element, both are miles apart and petrol one is definitely not worth it for the money that you pay.

But again, if you want petrol due to NCR rule better opt for the latest Mahindra engines.

Quote:
Though I am not a hardcore offroader, would prefer to have a 4x4 option for situation (1% of the time) when you drive over wet, muddy slush and snowy conditions. But for 99% of the time, I guess a 4x2 should work just for me.
Fortuner without 4x4 is just a better looking Innova.

Last edited by Technic90 : 28th July 2022 at 16:19.
Technic90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:32   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Would love to hear your viewpoints.
This my friend, right here is your answer. If you just had to buy a car so that you could drive it for 15 years in Delhi NCR and move you from one place to another, then the much lower priced Scorpio N and XUV7OOs would serve you much better than a Petrol Fortuner. However, if driving fun, peace of mind of a 4x4, go anywhere capability and that T-badge reliability are what you're looking for, then the Diesel version it has to be. Else, why even spend 40 Big Ks just for a 7 seater.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2022 at 18:13. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Revvman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:35   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
This. But again, if you want petrol due to NCR rule better opt for the latest Mahindra engines.

Fortuner without 4x4 is just a better looking Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
This my friend, right here is your answer. If you just had to buy a car so that you could drive it for 15 years in Delhi NCR and move you from one place to another, then the much lower priced Scorpio N and XUV7OOs would serve you much better than a Petrol Fortuner. However, if driving fun, peace of mind of a 4x4, go anywhere capability and that T-badge reliability are what you're looking for, then the Diesel version it has to be. Else, why even spend 40 Big Ks just for a 7 seater.
No Mahindras or Tatas for me as they are no longer VFM with many compromises with little finesse! Me and my better half have decided it would be a T-badge. Only that, I am for a MT 4x4, whereas she is insisting for the petrol 4x2 because of the 15 years shelf life. And that's where I wanted to hear what Team Bhpians think if they were into same or similar decision making situation.
iTNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:03   #776
BHPian

Quote:
No Mahindras or Tatas for me as they are no longer VFM with many compromises with little finesse! Me and my better half have decided it would be a T-badge. Only that, I am for a MT 4x4, whereas she is insisting for the petrol 4x2 because of the 15 years shelf life. And that's where I wanted to hear what Team Bhpians think if they were into same or similar decision making situation.
Having owned a Tata as well as a scorpio,not the current gen offcourse, both these oem's are a joke when it comes to after sales service and our forum is a testament to that. The japanese are all about functionality and relaibility period! The petrol 4x2 makes sense if your running is low. However the diesel is an absolute torque missile. I bought the diesel 4x2 a month back as my running is on the higher side. I suggest test drive the diesel and the petrol and then take a call on what feels best.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 28th July 2022 at 23:05.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:09   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
YOLO, I would suggest you go with your heart's decision of the 4X4 MT.

For sure there will be one such situation during the ownership where you will miss the Diesel 4X4 after going for the 4X2.

Definitely nothing against the Petrol Fortuner, BHPian achyutaghosh has been touring the country in his Petrol 4X2 and has faced no issues.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:24   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Want to understand the merits of opting for a petrol Fortuner.
I was in your state a year ago and with lack of trust on Indian car brands, i went ahead with the Fortuner petrol as we have a one car family, and we did not want NGT/Delhi government creating issues that impact out mobility. If i were a in a 2 car family then i may have decided otherwise. Period.

You have listed down the pros and cons quite well. Few comments on your list-

1. The price difference between the two models you are considering- diesel 4X4 MT and petrol 4X2 AT is 4.5 lakh ex-showroom currently, which translates to 5 lakh plus on road. Depending on your delivery time, there may be a couple of more price hikes that take this difference to 6 lakh. Toyota has been raising prices disproportionately on the 4X4s, so there's that.

2. The engine may be low on torque but has a sporty growl, revs well and some fun can be had with it, but that will come at the cost of fuel efficiency.

3. In the long term (9-10 year period), the resale would be better than a NCR registered diesel Fortuner.

Having said that, you did mention that you need 4X4 for that 1% time, and that being the case, then it is the Fortuner diesel for you or the Kodiaq- if you can lay your hands on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
BHPian achyutaghosh has been touring the country in his Petrol 4X2 and has faced no issues.
Thanks Sanchay, but I ensure I choose my battles wisely so that I can tour the country comfortably in the petrol 4X2 with a smile on my face

Basically avoid driving regularly on crowded roads, avoid sudden acceleration and braking, plan my moves, avoid tough off-road conditions etc.

For complete peace of mind and the total Fortuner experience (which is mostly about the engine performance and the go anywhere ability rather than features), I would always suggest the awesome 2.8 diesel 4x4! Had I not been in NCR, it would have been the 4X4 AT for me.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th July 2022 at 08:19. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:25   #779
BANNED

Any other Fortuner Petrol 4x2 owners on this forum who can share their experience?
Old 29th July 2022, 16:17   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally sharing glimpses of my sparkling black 4x2 AT Fortuner
Looks ravishing! Many congratulations and wish you hundreds of thousands of safe and fun km on the beast

Quote:
Toyota is quoting Rs 4700+GST of 3M coating with 1 year warranty, is it worth it or should I look into alternatives?
I got it done for my Fortuner last year, along with the first (1,000 km) free service (inspection, rather) at Toyota ASC. I was charged ₹ 4,600 including GST, if I remember correctly. The quality of work done was quite good. I'd recommend going for it.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks