Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2022, 17:19   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Hi friends
I own a 2019 Audi Q3 Petrol premium plus and now looking for a change. My plans is to stick to sub 50 lac range and hence looking up to Fortuner 4x2 AT diesel.
Do you suggest going for it or any other model?
Old 9th May 2022, 20:07   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Hi friends
I own a 2019 Audi Q3 Petrol premium plus and now looking for a change.
I would suggest you take multiple long test drives of Fortuner as after using a Q3, there must be adjustment required for the steering weight, ride quality and overall feel of the vehicle. If you are going for Fortuner, I personally would recommend 4x4 model, not for its off-road performance but because of its sound system and couple other features which are not present in 4x2 model. JBL system while not worth the extra 2-3 lakh on its own, it's miles ahead of system in 4x2 and would help in-cabin feel.
Other cars, Kodiaq comes to mind which may not be reliable as Fortuner, but has much nicer cabin and drive.
Good luck with your purchase
Stolidus500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 20:46   #618
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion. My Audi Q3 is three year old and I am getting a good resale value although the car is in pretty great shape. Should I hold it for two more years or change to fortuner or any such alternative?
Old 9th May 2022, 20:54   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. My Audi Q3 is three year old and I am getting a good resale value although the car is in pretty great shape. Should I hold it for two more years or change to fortuner or any such alternative?
Best option would be to hold on to it for few more years.. 3 years with an Audi is a really short time

Suggest you wait till the new Q3 is launched in India in the coming months. Chances are Audi will offer a good price to you and give a good deal. Expected price of the new Q3 will be 50 L or thereabouts and it will be better as compared to your Q3 in most aspects I believe.
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:04   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends
I own a 2019 Audi Q3 Petrol premium plus and now looking for a change. My plans is to stick to sub 50 lac range and hence looking up to Fortuner 4x2 AT diesel.
Unless you do some serious offroading or need to haul around 7 people, then I don't see how the fortuner is worth an upgrade at all. Unless you have other people driving your car frequently and you need something that is less fragile.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:50   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
JBL system while not worth the extra 2-3 lakh on its own, it's miles ahead of system in 4x2 and would help in-cabin feel.
Other cars, Kodiaq comes to mind which may not be reliable as Fortuner, but has much nicer cabin and drive.
Please do not buy the 4x4 if you do not plan to off-road. The JBL system may be better than the one in the 4x2 but still not worth the extra moolah. On top of that the 18 inchers in the 4x4 lead to a much harder ride quality, which, coming from Q3, you may not like at all. You are way better off with a custom audio setup on the 4x2 Fortuner, and its 17 inch shoes.

Frankly, if you are used to the Q3, the Fortuner may take a lot of time getting used to. It rides hard, lacks features, with interiors that are built to last but not premium . Lot of great monocoques in the 40-50 lakh range available such as GLA, X1, Kodiaq, Compass, Tucson and Tiguan. The new Q3 is just round the corner too.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 9th May 2022 at 21:51.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 22:32   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
You are way better off with a custom audio setup on the 4x2 Fortuner, and its 17 inch shoes.
Frankly, if you are used to the Q3, the Fortuner may take a lot of time getting used to. It rides hard, lacks features, with interiors that are built to last but not premium .
I agree with you, but alloy swaps are much easier to execute than a custom sound system. Some may not prefer to do anything aftermarket. I know there are great shops in NCR but I, personally, won't let anyone rip up my brand new car's interior. I have driven facelift 4x4, while not cosetting, the difference between 18 and 17 incher isn't so much that you choose 4x2 inspite of the budget.
Again I agree there are much better monocoque SUVs in the budget but 4x4 is the variant to go for in Fortuner facelift if you're heartset on diesel Fortuner.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:21   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have not mentioned your requirements and intended use. Q3 and Fortuner are poles apart though the latter has been priced similar to Q3/X1. Fortuner looks menacing, but unless you have a use case /need , you might not like one. If you do a lot of touring, like to explore places, travel carefree with family, Fortuner is perfect.

Fortuner may not have latest gizmos, but has all functional features that will keep one happy. In a matter of year, features of so called feature rich cars also will get outdated but what won't is the Engine and solid mechanical's, which is where Fortuner scores. I would recommend to spend a bit more and go for 4x4. You may not use the equipment 80% of times but when you do, for sure the experience will be for a lifetime. I had a Endeavour 4x2, while it did most bits of a SUV, I never took chance to explore. In worst case you are stuck, will need a tractor or JCB to pull out the behemoth. 4x4 will let you go that extra mile. If you are happy with Q3 and serves your purpose, stick to it. Go for Fortuner 4x4 if your use case/requirements have changed.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 06:50   #624
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks for the wise advise. I did a little market research and the next upgrade for me is X3 or Q5 which are coming with add up of 30-40+ lacs. I am not interested into used car hence I did not considered old X3 though it was a good choice but still I will land in same space. A used luxury three years old which I already have.
The catch is I am getting a great deal but the available options are not exciting
- New Safari and XUV 7OO is good but does not have a premium feel.
- Kodiaq and Tiguan is not into consideration as I am not happy with resale and service cost of my Octavia.
- Endeavor was an apt choice but out of market.

Hence, I shortlisted Fortuner. But as you all mentioned, it is a big suv and for Delhi/ NCR, it might not be a daily commute.
Old 10th May 2022, 09:35   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks for the wise advise. I did a little market research and the next upgrade for me is X3 or Q5 which are coming with add up of 30-40+ lacs. I am not interested into used car hence I did not considered old X3 though it was a good choice but still I will land in same space. A used luxury three years old which I already have.
The catch is I am getting a great deal but the available options are not exciting
- New Safari and XUV 7OO is good but does not have a premium feel.
- Kodiaq and Tiguan is not into consideration as I am not happy with resale and service cost of my Octavia.
- Endeavor was an apt choice but out of market.

Hence, I shortlisted Fortuner. But as you all mentioned, it is a big suv and for Delhi/ NCR, it might not be a daily commute.
Fortuner not for daily commute?? I am not sure if i agree with it, people here are using Thar ( new one) as daily commute and fortuner is not for daily commute? This is not right…or maybe i am getting too old
Old 10th May 2022, 10:35   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you driven the Fortuner yet? I'd strongly suggest taking a test drive once before even thinking about buying one, as it is not everyone's cup of tea Coming from a softroader monocoque, a truck-like SUV can be quite overwhelming at the outset. Again, as PrideRed said, it depends on your use case to a large extent. If the Q3 fits the bill for you and the change is just for the sake of change, then better go for similar segment - GLA, X1, Kodiaq, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Fortuner not for daily commute?
It depends on the nature of commute - if it is primarily a highway drive or a drive over wide city roads like those in the NCR then yes, it is doable in the Fortuner but if one is talking about crawling through bumper-to-bumper traffic in a congested city like Bangalore, then it won't be a wise choice in my opinion. Coming to the Thar, it is a better daily-commuter than the Fortuner primarily due to its compact dimensions and relatively higher seating position.

Last edited by cool_dube : 10th May 2022 at 10:37.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 14:02   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Have you driven the Fortuner yet? I'd strongly suggest taking a test drive once before even thinking about buying one, as it is not everyone's cup of tea Coming from a softroader monocoque, a truck-like SUV can be quite overwhelming at the outset. Again, as PrideRed said, it depends on your use case to a large extent. If the Q3 fits the bill for you and the change is just for the sake of change, then better go for similar segment - GLA, X1, Kodiaq, etc.
Thanks. I will surely get the Test drive planned this week. GLA, X1 and Kodiaq are of same line hence i am a little reclusive.
Second, what is the opinion to sell Q3 at three years. The reason I am getting a good price is this whole furore over semi conductor issue which will subside in the coming few months. The depreciation will be more at 5 years and with new Q3 chipping in. Experts views please.
Old 11th May 2022, 15:04   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortuner GR Sport spotted at a dealership undisguised, launch soon

- Blacked out alloys
- Sportier elements both inside and outside
- Also to me the Logo at the back is the TSS (Toyota Safety Sense) one which is Toyota’s term for ADAS features (TSS features available on the Fortuner in International markets: Pre-collision System (PCS), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Drive-start Control)

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-6bf017aea5504b2f8cf62aa8d6c3ec54.jpeg

Credit: Motorbeam

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th May 2022 at 15:15.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 15:44   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Fortuner GR Sport spotted at a dealership
- Also to me the Logo at the back is the TSS (Toyota Safety Sense)
Looks like the GR logo to me, if Toyota were to add ADAS to the Fortuner, expected price bump would be at least 2-3 lakh additional over Legender top end. Doesn't seem viable. Where as my understanding is it could be a 'sportier looking' 4x2 MT and AT variant as the Sigma4 badge is also missing.
Old 11th May 2022, 16:29   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Looks like the GR logo to me, if Toyota were to add ADAS to the Fortuner, expected price bump would be at least 2-3 lakh additional over Legender top end. Doesn't seem viable. Where as my understanding is it could be a 'sportier looking' 4x2 MT and AT variant as the Sigma4 badge is also missing.
No I was talking about the different Toyota logo, international markets get TSS (Toyota Safety Sense with these logos. Although just got it confirmed, Toyota India is just giving those logos on this trim, ADAS is not going to be on offer.

And talking about variants, there is only a single top-end variant GR-S 4X4 AT, neither 4X2 will be on offer neither a manual transmission.

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-fb03c51486cc4a54be45f0ef43a3f703.jpeg

Name:  5626A3160205471991C5EB322F38DCF9.jpeg
Views: 2222
Size:  382.7 KB

Name:  2C095D46289C4F9484BF80C004757BFE.jpeg
Views: 2176
Size:  252.5 KB

Name:  52BAE18E728B4690B3253E7F59B693BE.jpeg
Views: 2060
Size:  215.5 KB

Name:  DF74465E498C45BC9A4A1C8A0342FA88.jpeg
Views: 2083
Size:  303.8 KB

A total of 10 changes are there overall majority cosmetic :-
- New front grill
- New Front fog lamp bezel
- New Front bumper, rear bumper and spoiler
- Sporty Brake and Accelerator pedals
- New GR embossed Front seats
- Black painted alloys
- Red painted brake callipers
- GR badge on the grill, fenders and boot lid
- New sport suspension tune
- GR logo on the push start-stop button

Launch date: 20th May 2022

Available colours: Pearl White and Attitude Black

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th May 2022 at 16:50.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks