Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 23:20   #301
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadbe View Post
same things I also observed. I booked petrol AT last week and today got the email that wait time is 4 to 5 months, while I was committed 2 months wait time max till last week. Also I am told that diesel AT is available and can be delivered in next 2 3 weeks.

Are they trying to clear the diesel stock and then come up with 2ltr diesel may be

This seems to be the case from posts by other members as well. Given that you have been given 4-5 month waiting period, why not give the XUV a shot. People are getting deliveries in similar time frames depending on variant and location. Might be worth a try if you liked the car and if it matches the criteria not to mention the safety and stronger engine aspect.
Old 17th April 2022, 18:33   #302
BHPian

Hi Folks, while I write up my initial ownership thread and the purchasing experience... (yes, I am a brand new Alcazar owner :-) ) ... I have a niggle that I wanted to check with you all.

The DRLs on my Alcazar don't turn on by itself in Auto mode.

When the ambient light is low and the headlights turn on, then the DRL turns on, but otherwise the entire headlight cluster stays off in good daylight.

However when I turn on only the position lights (the one that looks like |><| ) then the DRL turns on along with the license plate lights, instrument cluster lights, etc.

Is this how it is supposed to be? My Baleno would have the DRLs on all the time when in Auto mode, and additionally the lights would turn on when the ambient light was less.

This behaviour on the Hyundai (if by design) could also be the reason why many people drive with just the DRLs on (headlights off). Since they haven't put their light setting in Auto mode due to this behaviour.
herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 19:19   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Hi Folks, while I write up my initial ownership thread and the purchasing experience... (yes, I am a brand new Alcazar owner :-) ) ... I have a niggle that I wanted to check with you all.

The DRLs on my Alcazar don't turn on by itself in Auto mode.
Congratulations on your new ride, wishing you many happy smiles and safe miles. Which variant did you go for?

With regards to your niggle, I have never left the light in Auto mode. I always turn the knob to Auto when the lights are needed. Will give it a try and let you know.

I was wondering if any Alcazar owner has changed the Headlight LEDs for a brighter one. If yes please do share details.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 21:43   #304
BHPian

My Alcazar is getting an OTA update and stuck at 29% since long and the update doesn't turn off when the car is turned off too. Does anyone have this issue?
Old 20th April 2022, 22:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
My Alcazar is getting an OTA update and stuck at 29% since long and the update doesn't turn off when the car is turned off too. Does anyone have this issue?
Same with me too. The update is stuck at 16% for long.
Is there anyone here who have completed the update?
Also, would like to know if anyone has information on what this update contains exactly.
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:36   #306
BHPian

I have a perplexing issue form the last 1 week. I had inflated all my tyres to the recommended 35psi just an hour back, but suddenly the Low Tyre Pressure warning on the left rear tyre came on while driving. The pressure showed 31 and I drove to the side to check. The tyre seemed firm and normal. I continued driving, and within few mins, the front left alarm also flared with pressure showing 31. After few more minutes, the Front Right alarm also flared showing pressure 30. So I drove to the nearest service station and re-inflated the tyres to 35. The start pressures did show around 30-31 in all tyres. After few minutes of driving, the alarms on all there tyres once again flared, but this time showed varying pressures like 32-33. It has been 4 days and the tyres have not gone flat. The pressures continue to show 32-33, but the alarms persist. Now, my questions are: 1. Are the alarms false? 2. If so, what is triggering them and how to reset? 3. If not, what might be the problem?

Has anyone faced similar issues? Thanks for pointers.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd April 2022 at 09:47. Reason: fixed the formatting and punctuation. Pls. check the punctuation when posting for better readability.
Old 25th April 2022, 12:23   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post
Now, my questions are: 1. Are the alarms false? 2. If so, what is triggering them and how to reset? 3. If not, what might be the problem?
The alarms disappeared after a drive over 25 kms stretch. Such a relief !
Old 27th April 2022, 09:31   #308
BHPian

I currently drive a 2014 Hyundai Verna CRDI SX MT with 1,25,000 kms on the ODO. With a 56kms daily commute, was looking for an upgrade since last year. Actually, was smitten by the ADAS tech on offer in the MG Astor and thats when the new car quest started.

Short version of the story - Tried out almost all vehicles in 25L to 40L OTR Bangalore and then settled for the Hyundai Alcazar by chance. Booked it this week and expecting delivery in the next few days.

Long version of the story - My basic requirements:
1. Must be an AT.
2. A torque converter.
3. Must be an upgrade (space-wise from my current Verna).
4. Love tech. More the better.
5. Preferred budget of about 25L. Stretchable to 35L for the right vehicle.
6. Need a big boot space. We carry our house when we travel to our home town. Usable space should be atleast as big as our Verna. The Verna really spoilt us with the boot.
7. Initially, wanted to switch to petrol due to the DEF and BS6 issues with Diesels.
8. We are family of 2 adults + 1 10 year old. Its is just the 3 of us for 95% of the drives. Very rarely, we may have 1 or 2 added in.
9. Panoramic sun roof (this was added as a requirement after we test drove the Astor).
10. Should have a nice premium dash (again added after test driving the Astor).
11. Captain seats at the rear would be a nice to have (added after checking out the Hector).
12. As many safety features as possible. Minimum six airbags.

The quest started after launch of MG Astor. Here are the cars we checked out -

1. MG Astor - Some how loved the Mazda-ish looks of this car. Loved the videos and was impressed with the tech. After launch, visited the MG showroom in Coimbatore. I should say, the MG showrooms look much more premium than the rest of the showrooms we visited. The car's dash was the first thing that impressed us. The tech on offer was amazing. The soft touch all around was great to feel. But the interiors felt a little smaller than the Verna, especially the shoulder room. And the boot, the less said the better. They have really made it too small. I feel it is in the range of 350 litres.

2. MG Hector/Plus - When checking out the Astor, my wife and son wandered over to the Hector. My wife loved the captain seats at the back in the Hector Plus. I had always felt the Hector looked nice, but the tallish stance was a bit of an eye sore. But felt I could live with it. Pretty much ticked most of the boxes. The only issues I had that prevented me from booking were - Chinese origins, CVT gear box, no diesel automatic, laggy touchscreen. So decided to check out the rest before taking a call.

3. Kia Seltos - Checked this out. Loved the exteriors. But again the interiors and boot were smaller than the Verna. Staff in the Kia showroom werent really interested in selling the car. The small panaromic sun roof was a downer for my son and wife.

4. Jeep Compass - Now, this was a vehicle I loved. The new dash is superb. Loved the fit and finish. The Model S at 38L did not feel value for money. We did not feel like we are getting enough car for the moolah. Also, I understand what everyone meant by confused automatic gear box. It did not seem to shift when we expected it to. And the rear seat was definitely smaller than what we wanted. Put this on hold.

5. Hyundai Alcazar - Visited the Hyundai showroom right after we checked out the Jeep Compass. It was more of a cursory visit to make sure we are not leaving anything out. Somehow, did not like the car, as the one on display was the 7 seater. (Note: if you are getting the Alcazar, check out the 6 seater - looks way more premium). Did not even sit in the car and just walked out.

By this time, I was sure I was not ready to spend 30L on a car that I did not like. I have always wanted the Hyundai Tucson and decided to wait for the new gen release with all the fancy grill, ADAS and more. So the car buying plan was put on hold for 4+ months.

6. Mahindra XUV7OO - I frankly did not like the demo vehicles I saw on the road (especially that purple shade looked horrible). But in March 2022, started seeing some on the road and thought, it was not bad. And infact looked good from some angles. Walked into the Mahindra showroom on Hosur road in bangalore on a weekend. It was crowded. But was attended to by a sales person quickly and got to test drive both the Petrol and the Diesel top end automatics. The engine and gear box combo was superb. The car just doesnt seem to run out of breath. Even my hardest driving seemed to need only about 50% of the cars capability. It was that good. This had the most power among all vehicles I test drove. I was always wary of the niggles in TATAs and Mahindras. During the test drive, the SA tried to show something on the touch screen and the screen did not respond. Strike One. The front dash though was filled with gizmos, did not seem as well put together/designed as the Jeep Compass or some of the other cars. The driver and co-passenger door pads has this wierd protrusion on the inside that you wont find on the outside. It is tough to explain in words. Another design flaw. Once you see it, you cant unsee it. Strike Two. After the test drive, my wife noticed that the paint on the boot door on the test drive vehicle had completely faded. When asked, the SA gave vague response on the vehicles getting washed daily resulted in this. Was not convinced one bit. This is a major concern. Owners watch out. After all this, I still liked the power and space the vehicle provided. But wanted to wait a few days before I booked.

7. Hyundai Tucson (current-gen) - Decided to checkout the Diesel current gen Tucson, as there was news of some big discounts on offer. Called up 5 different dealers in BLR. Advaith and Trident did not have test drive vehicles readily available last weekend. Only Blue Hyundai had it and went down to test drive the Tucson last Sunday post lunch. The agreement with my wife was - it is a generation old vehicle, if she doesnt like it, we will drop the plans and wait for the new Tucson. Tested the diesel Tucson 4WD. The engine is great. The gear box is great. But the car has nothing else to offer. It is an old model and it shows. Especially after checking out the above vehicles, this one seemed out of place. Wife was clear she did not like it. So dropped it.

8. Back to Alcazar - At Blue Hyundai, after Tucson test drive, my wife casually walked over to check the Alcazar. They had the starry night and grey colors on display. Plus they were the 6 seater versions on display. My wife liked the car and called me. I actually did not mind the Alcazar this time around. Especially in the Starry night. Last time I had seen the Alcazar in 7 seat config in white and did not like it one bit. Can even say I hated it last time. This time, I was OK with it.

Asked the SA for a test drive. They did not have the Diesel AT available, so test drove the Petrol AT. I knew the car was not all I expected from an upgrade, but had 95% of what I needed at cost I was very comfortable with. Especially when compared to the Jeep Compass at 38L (and rumored Tucson next gen at 40L+), this seemed like great value for money.

The team-bhp review on the Alcazar is very mixed. The 3rd row seats are not very usable. But for me I will have the 3rd row folded and will only use it as a 4 seater. My wife is 5'6" and found the 2nd row very comfortable. I am 5'10" and found the driving seat very comfortable. The tech on offer - list is endless, do not want to repeat what everyone has already said. I liked that the camera views are crisp and clear - unlike the Hector. Something I would have liked - powered tail gate, powered co-driver seat, little more soft plastics/leather on the dashboard. Hey, there is no perfect car.

1. Torque Convertor AT. Check.
2. Captain seats at rear. Check.
3. Panaromic sunroof. Check.
4. Big boot. Check. With last row down.
5. Cost - At 25L OTR. Double check.
6. Upgrade over the Verna. Check.
7. Lots of tech. Check.
8. ADAS. This is a miss. Most like will be added to the facelift that would come in a few years. Will miss it.
9. Safety. I know with Hyundai, this is a mixed bag. Possibly Alcazar would also just clear the 3star mark on GNCAP. But I am getting this for a lack of a better option at the moment. I hope the available tech + 6 airbags + stability control, etc helps on the Signature variant.

I booked the Hyundai Alcazar Signature Diesel AT on April 25 and did the PDI on the same day. Expecting delivery in the next few days.

Note: Some rumors on the Hyundai Tucson I heard from different dealers -
1. Factory production has stopped for current gen. This is confirmed by all.
2. There are about 3000 current gen Tucsons that need to be sold and new Tucson will be launched post that. Take this info with a pinch of salt. This was mentioned by someone who was trying to get me to book an Alcazar.
3. Tucson may only be launched in petrol and hybrid. No diesel for India. Again, take this with a pinch of salt.
4. I heard two ranges for the Tucson cost at launch (starting at 37L OTR and another mentioned starting at 45L OTR).
Naetik30 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:01   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

A test mule of the Hyundai Alcazar with the CNG kit has been spied, launch likely in 2023.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-hyundaialcazarcngspied.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th April 2022 at 13:03.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:16   #310
BHPian

Just did a sort of a milk run to Bangalore to drop my kids off for their vacays. Stayed for a day and drove back.
Had a friend riding shotgun with me who got off at Yeshwantpura. Picked him up on the way back. That worked out well, didn't have to drive Solo, with the family fretting over it.

This 2.0 runs so silent, my friend kept asking if its an EV. So smooth and comfy, ensured lesser stops, we stopped at Chitradurga for breakfast (on the old highway). Lunch was at Nippani (goa pass/ves). Kaveri's Malabar Biryani is nothing like what it used to be 6-7 yrs back, just pathetic now. (is it normal service to lose the taste whenever a joint renovates?)
The mileage on display was the biggest surprise. It stayed at an unbelievable 17.3 kmpl after exiting Tumakura, also the reason why we didn't stop till Chitradurga. It stabilized at 16.3 all the way till Kolhapur. Then its a street fight till Pune. 15.5 at the end.
TPMS showed 31 when I started, hovered around 35 all day, was at 34 when I ended the trip.
The Bad Part: There's a notorious 2lane no-divider 30km Hubli Dharwad by-pass, which is straight as an arrow with slow moving trucks, agressive ST buses, dangerous Brezza drivers and powerful SUV monsters trying to prove some point. Throw in some wheelieing boy bikers into the mix. And myself with my (not a holeshoter) Wagon trying extremely hard to forget my T-jet ways. But stay cool, slot smartly and at the end at the toll naka you will find all the hot shots. Nobody was able to break away!
But yes, the Alcazar is not made for such roads, where instant acceleration is a must have. You cannot rush it. But by now I've learnt how to pace it, without the boomy acceleration. Heck I didn't even use the sports or comfort modes. I didn't take it above 120 kmph, the incessant beeping (speed warning) is a headache. Any way one can turn it off or lower the frequency in some way?
15 hrs Baner to Whitefield, 14 hrs on the way back. Should have been lesser, wasted time looking for Breakfast.
Next up Pune - Bangalore - Udupi - Pune.
jazzrockz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 21:53   #311
BHPian

I was considering Alcazar, Petrol 6-Speed Automatic Signature (O) 7 seater as it meets all my requirements.
My main reason for getting this variant is good petrol engine (159 NA BHP) with 6 speed TC gearbox and decent boot space.
Third row seating is not needed but nice to have.

I am currently without a car and need one soon, as my previous car was on company lease which expired.

Checked with below dealers and was left disappointed, no interest to sell the car .

Dealer 1 Himgiri Hyundai Sector 54 Gurgaon
Sales guy says waiting is 10 months but diesel variant is available immediately. Looks like its a ploy to get rid of diesels inventory.

I also had similar experience 3 years ago from this dealer when I enquired for Creta. The dealer did not send the test drive car and sales team was surprised when I got it from somewhere else.

Dealer 2: Dee-EM Hyundai Sohna Road, Gurgaon

I had bought my Creta from them three years ago and had good experience. This time however they are not eager to sell due to long waiting period.
They gave me 6 to 7 months of waiting period and I was ok to book after test drive which never happened.

Can others please confirm if such long waiting period is real for this variant. At this point I have give up my search for car.

Last edited by born_free : 29th April 2022 at 21:57.
Old 1st May 2022, 08:18   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Can others please confirm if such long waiting period is real for this variant. At this point I have give up my search for car.
Very surprised to hear about such long waiting periods. When I bought my 7seater petrol AT Signature variant little more than 2 months ago, the anticipated waiting period was 8-10 weeks, but they actually delivered in half the time. Some previous posts also mentioned about the tendency of dealers to push diesel stock. Is this a pan-India trend across all brands? Has the Alcazar waiting period really got so bad..? If true, I should count myself lucky indeed.
Old 2nd May 2022, 07:47   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was considering Alcazar, Petrol 6-Speed Automatic Signature (O) 7 seater as it meets all my requirements.
My main reason for getting this variant is good petrol engine (159 NA BHP) with 6 speed TC gearbox and decent boot space.
Third row seating is not needed but nice to have.

It was totally different here in Cochin. Back in Dec '21, it was immediate delivery (Petrol AT) for us. It was the loan formalities that delayed the delivery. Diesel had slightly more waiting period but around a month.
Old 2nd May 2022, 08:55   #314
BHPian

Took delivery of Hyundai Alcazar Diesel Signature AT 6 seater in Starry night color on April 29. This was the fastest car purchase for me. Saw the car on April 24, 2022 (Sunday) evening at Blue Hyundai by chance (had gone to check out the Tucson actually). Ended up liking the Alcazar.

On Monday April 25, 2022 - contacted Blue, Trident, Advaith, Lakshmi and Pavan Hyundai. By afternoon I had booked at Lakshmi Hyundai, as the sales manager Santosh (Lakshmi Hyundai Whitefield) confirmed that the car had just arrived the previous day in the stock yard. My only question was if he can deliver by Friday and he did. Very happy with the delivery.

In fact, Pavan Hyundai also had the car in stock and was willing to provide additional benefits, but liked the interaction with Mr. Santosh from Lakshmi Hyundai and booked with them. By the same day 3PM - the car was brought to the showroom and I was able to do a thorough PDI. My friend Pragash helped out with the PDI. Only two observations made - the water in wiper fluid tank was low and a minor (tiny) scratch on the front right fender. Both were acknowledged by Santosh and rectified at delivery. Also, saw the factory PDI check list in the car and was dated April 17, 2022 (basically about a week old car).

Next day, transferred the entire amount as per agreement. I traded in my Hyundai Verna 2014 CRDI SX for a decent amount. Could have gotten a little higher price at other second hand dealers, but again I liked the support from Santosh and went for it.

Bought the insurance + extended warranty (5 years) + Shield of Trust (3 years) as part of the package. Generally, I buy insurance from outside, but this time I had very little time to do some research - so just took it from Lakshmi. As I was trading in my car on day of delivery, I couldnt use the NCB bonus of 50% from my verna. Will need to claim the reservation letter and use it during next renewal.

Also got a couple of accessories - 7D floor mats + mud flaps from Lakshmi Hyundai. I was not pushed to buy accessories from them. Still went with them as I was very short on time to check out other places.

I was asked if I wanted a number of my choice, but it would cost INR 25000. In 2014, it costed me only INR 4000. But this time it did not make sense to spend 25k and was holding my breath on what the final registration number would be. But it turned out by luck I got what you can call a semi-fancy number. Registration was done on Thursday April 28. I got an SMS from Vaahan by about 4PM confirming the number. Expecting the HSRP number plate in the next 10 days or so.

On Friday, started from home post 10AM reached the showroom in Whitefield at 11.30AM. Did a quick PDI and SA Sajay explained all the features. I should say, coming from my humble Hyundai Verna, it was little overwhelming for me. It was like a classroom session of 1 hour to explain all the features. To be frank I felt a little old and I understood how my mom feels when I explain some of the smart phone features to her. I hate this feeling.

I felt a little unnerved to drive the car for a couple of days with all the buttons and widgets. Only after I set my mind to just use the steering and pedals and just ignore all tech, was I able to drive comfortably. In 2 days I got much more familiar with the car and driving position.

Post the session, the car was delivered by about 1PM and the entire staff was there for the ceremony. Nice gesture from Lakshmi. Drove straight to Forum Mall in whitefield for a quick lunch and some shopping for the wife.

In the evening went home and on the way visited a temple for the pooja.

I have driven 200+kms in the city and should say I am loving every bit of it. I feel the Alcazar is under appreciated.

What I love -
1. This is the perfect 4 seater car. Yes 4 seater. Get the 6 seater, fold down the last row seats and you get a humongous boot of about 580+litres and excellent seats for 4 in the front two rows. Mine is a family of 3 and this is just perfect for us.
2. The engine and gearbox is just great. I felt it would be a downgrade from the 1.6litre on the Verna, but this one feels better refined. Went for a drive on NICE road and the car hit 80kmph so quickly and effortlessly. This one loves the highways and I am sure would be a great cruiser.
3. The interior space again. Excellent. The leg room in the second row is amazing. Again I have not driven bigger vehicles and so this is the benchmark for me.
4. Loving the automatic. I have driven autos only in the US and to drive it in India for my 56 km daily drive in BLR traffic is just perfect.
5. The tech is very useful and long. Lots of automation. Loving it.
6. The color is good. Was actually my wife's choice and am liking it a lot. It looks bluish in the day and black at night.
7. Panaromic sun roof.
8. Excellent sound proofing. The cabin is super silent.
9. I am not an audiophile and keep the volume low. But the 8 speaker Bose doesnt hurt.
10. Wife loves the neck pillow provided by Hyundai. Extremely comfortable. Need to find out if I can get 2 more of these for the front.
11. All the storage spaces in the car and cubby holes. Verna had very few.
12. The dash looks pretty upmarket and nice. The gear lever is aircraft inspired and looks premium.
13. The suspension is definitely an upgrade for my 8 year old Verna

Not so great -
1. There is a definite deadzone between around 25kmph and 35kmph. Found it odd for a few hours in that range. But if you quickly move out of this range, the car comes alive again. Again, this is not a big bother.
2. Missing a couple of features - powered boot door, powered passenger seat. But hey I am not complaining, when compared to the overpriced Jeep Compass.
3. I know Hyundais have questionable safety. But hopefully the top end variant with all bells and whistles helps.
4. Found one issue with the 360 camera. When the navigation is on, and you try to get the 360 camera, only the reverse view is visible. The buttons to switch on the other views are disabled. I checked with Santosh and he said there is an update to the software available, which should fix this. Will get this update when I take it for the first service.
5. In comfort mode, there were a few times I felt the gearbox hunting for gears. But this could be linked to the dead zone in power between 25kmph and 35kmph.
6. Still to find a comfortable position for the steering wheel. Again not the car's fault. I have not found the time to fix this up. Will do it today.
7. The panaromic sun roof has a single switch for both the blinds and the main sunroof to open up. A slight touch opens the blinds and a more harder touch opens the entire sun roof. This is very tricky. Quoting my son - "If you mess this up during rain fall, get ready for a wash inside and out". They should have provided separate buttons.

Again - none of the issues are major. Touch wood.

I have seen in recent times, several members planning an upgrade from a mid-size sedan hardly finding any options. I was one of them. It is a real problem. The CSUVs like Creta, Seltos, Astor are all a little cramped when compared to Verna/City/etc and the boot is definitely a size smaller. The Hector with its unusual shape is an option, but you have to be OK with a petrol CVT. The Harrier/Safari look bland in the interiors department and ofcourse come with TATA service competence. Mahindra XUV700 I feel is a little overdone and lacks the finesse in the dashboard. And ofcourse everyone's favorite Jeep Compass is about 5L over priced for Model S + my wife felt the rear seat really cramped.

Personal opinion - Alcazar can be considered by folks who are in a similar boat. One TIP when checking out the Alcazar. Do not try the Alcazar in 7 seater version. The 6 seater is the one to get. Feels really premium and if you are OK to use it as a 4 seater, you get one of the largest boots in the segment.
Naetik30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 08:56   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is strange and was not the case here in Bangalore few months back when I got my Creta. Since the delivery was getting delayed, SA offered very quick delivery of Alcazar (3-4 weeks). Not sure why the situation is like that in your region. Now that new models like Carens / XL6/ Ertiga/ XUV7OO are pulling the Alcazar customers away, I expect even quicker deliveries due to relatively lower demand.
Totally beats me!

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd May 2022 at 08:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks