Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 12:54   #1606
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I'd anyday recommed knobs to a touch panel. It's better on usability and is far less distracting too. I was struggling to use the all-touch AC controls on a Taigun I test drove some time back.

BTW, if you are happy with Palace Cross, I have a senior staff member who has been very helpful. DM me if you need the details.
Thanks a ton Pannags. I had reach out to Palace (Jayamahal) and got in touch with Abdul who had shared the quote of 18.01 for the Highline AT 1.0. Would be great if you could connect me with someone you know. I actually sent an email to you at pannags@gmail.com (not sure if you received)

Regards,
Aashik Francis
Old 10th November 2022, 16:15   #1607
SDx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDx View Post
Has Volkswagen brought back automatic climate control system to Taigun Highline AT trim? My SA is saying some of the cars are now coming with Climatronic AC, he has seen Virtus with the same. I have also seen some post in Virtus thread, mentioning the option being available. Could the new owners confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post

Kushaq is now costing more after the Oct price hike. I'm currently getting a quote of 18.2L for Ambition 1.0 AT. It comes with touch ac and led headlamps which the Highline 1.0 AT doesn't offer (oh yes, but the Taigun does have a 10'screen vs the 8" on Kushaq).
Answer to your question and mine is, YES Taigun Highline AT now comes with smart touch climatronic AC as well. From what I understand from my conversations with my SA, both manual and touch AC units are being dispatched from the factory however dealership is not aware of what was sent until it reaches them.

I had a clear understanding with my dealership, my booking will convert into sales only if the car had toch AC. I was convinced by my friends that at this price point the car should not have a manual ac. May be, you can have the same understanding with your dealership or can do multiple bookings with different dealership. If that is the only thing holding you back from finalizing Taigun.

Below is the AC pic from my PDI earlier this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20221107_065244981.jpg  

Last edited by SDx : 10th November 2022 at 16:24.
SDx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:22   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm on the verge of closing with the Highline 1.0 AT but the Kushaq is still on my mind.

Kushaq is now costing more after the Oct price hike. I'm currently getting a quote of 18.2L for Ambition 1.0 AT. It comes with touch ac and led headlamps which the Highline 1.0 AT doesn't offer (oh yes, but the Taigun does have a 10'screen vs the 8" on Kushaq).
Kushaq style is also coming with a 10" touchscreen now, but its instrument cluster is analogue and not digital. I saw a Kushaq 1.0 TSI here the other day which had these features. Taigun (topline) continues to provide 10" screen as well as digital instrument cluster. But highline has an analogue meter.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:42   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_noob View Post
Is there any one else who had the same confusion before and had made a decision?
I think it will come down to what you prefer, a sedan or a crossover. I can give you my journey to this decision.

I wanted a 1.5TSI/DSG initially. I wasnt too worried about the body style. But as the Taigun was released earlier, me and my family did get a lot of time with the Taigun and had gained a certain familiarity with the car.

When the Virtus was launched, we did go to check it out, but found it cramped compared to the Taigun. Our feeling was driven by the higher seating position and airy cabin in the Taigun as compared to the Virtus. Do note that the interiors in Virtus GT are all black compounding the issue. I also liked the dashboard design of the Taigun more compared to the Virtus. I do have a tight parking spot at home and parking a crossover was going to be easier than parking a sedan. So overall even though it costed more, I still went ahead with it.

Now for the objectivity
  • Virtus GT gets ventilated seats, Taigun GT+ dint then (They seem to have fixed this difference now)
  • Taigun GT+ has a color scheme which is more in sync. The interior door color matches the seats. In the Virtus GT, the interiors are all black but the door has beige on it. Looks weird.
  • The Taigun GT+ gets an amazing off black color steering wheel. The Virtus GT gets an even better looking pure black steering wheel.
  • The Virtus GT rides on 16 inch wheels which gives it better ride comfort. The Taigun GT+ rides on 17 inch wheels which gives it better handling and slightly reduced ride comfort.
  • The Virtus GT gets a bigger boot (Due to it being longer and a sedan)

So yes you have the subjective and the objective differences

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestallion View Post
Hi, does anyone know if there is any pause button option on the steering controls for music, or some other method? I can't seem to be able to figure it out and its a very essential feature.
As far as I know. There isnt a button on the steering wheel for pause or for disconnecting calls. Both these activities have to be done through the infotainment screen.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th November 2022 at 17:10. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 14:55   #1610

Re: Volkswagen Taigun 1.0 TSI MT Test Drive Review

I Test drove the Taigun 1.O TSI.

As I am currently driving the Polo 1.5 TDI - the Taigun somehow felt under powered especially in low RPMs in 2nd gear. The gears have to be worked constantly to maintain higher RPM levels and then the punch is there. City driving will not be as easy as my Polo where I get excellent low end torque and less number of gear changes.

Otherwise, the NVH seemed good for a 3 cylinder pot and the AC (keeping in mind so many posts on AC issues) seemed to be working well. Maybe the AC issue has been resolved in the 1.0 versions.

Would request inputs from fellow BHPians on the overall driving dynamics of Taigun 1.0 MT and AC issue.
Old 11th November 2022, 16:29   #1611
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAJIT SENGUPTA View Post

As I am currently driving the Polo 1.5 TDI - the Taigun somehow felt under powered especially in low RPMs in 2nd gear. The gears have to be worked constantly to maintain higher RPM levels and then the punch is there. City driving will not be as easy as my Polo where I get excellent low end torque and less number of gear changes.

Otherwise, the NVH seemed good for a 3 cylinder pot and the AC (keeping in mind so many posts on AC issues) seemed to be working well. Maybe the AC issue has been resolved in the 1.0 versions.

Would request inputs from fellow BHPians on the overall driving dynamics of Taigun 1.0 MT and AC issue.
The difference that you have felt is basically just a Petrol vs diesel difference. Even the 1.5 feels similar in that sense. Maybe drive an AT for a smoother experience
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:51   #1612

Thanks for your revert.

Would welcome any update on the Taigun 1.0 AC issues as I don't want any hassles after buying the vehicle.
Old 12th November 2022, 18:19   #1613

VW Taigun 1.0 TSI MT Highline 1 Month Ownership Report

I purchased a VW Taigun 1.0 TSI MT Highline back in October and here is my ownership report:

Why this car?

I stay in Mumbai with frequent runs to Alibaug, where I run a restaurant. Hence I needed something which has good highway manners, a great built quality to last me a few years, decent ground clearance to tackle some of the rough Alibaug roads and compact enough to squeeze through Mumbai traffic and find parking fairly easily.

The Taigun and Kushaq seemed to be the only cars that fit my bill and I preferred the Taiguns design and hence my money went here.

Why the variant?

It was purely a monetary decision, plus I didn't want the lower fuel economy of an Automatic. I paid 17.3 lacs on-road (Company reg + extended warranty + 5 yr service pack + complete insurance cover)

Interiors and Features

The interiors and features are a significant compromise compared to the Topline model (it also costs 2.5 lacs more than this one). The only feature I miss not having is keyless entry with push button start, I could live with not having a sunroof, climate control, cosmetic improvements inside and outside, projector LED lamps etc.

The seats are fabric and are quite bad. It almost feels like how a low-quality cotton t-shirt gets very rough after years of hard washing. This is especially true of the center armrest where my elbow became red after a long drive due to the rough texture grinding against my skin. The seats also absorbs a lot of dust, 2 days into taking delivery I smacked my seat and saw a cloud of dirt. I am strongly considering buying seat covers.

The Android Auto / Infotainment software is a bit 'confusing' in some aspects. There seem to be 2 modes - one with Android Auto and one without, even though both do pretty much everything except for google maps navigation (android auto only). Switching between the two gets a bit buggy at times. There are moments when the connection suddenly stops and I have to reconnect my phone. I also found on multiple occasions that Android Auto causes my phone to freeze and eventually crash. I am not sure if this is a phone problem or a system problem, yet to try this on a different phone to check.
There also is no option of answering calls from the steering-mounted controls, you have to take your eyes off the road and tap on the screen. This is a big miss especially since they have given buttons for stuff that didn't need steering-mounted buttons.
The wireless charging pad is also very glitchy. It keeps throwing up an error that the charging pad has an object disturbing it, where there is nothing. I have tried removing my case, and cleaning the phone back and the charging pad but it still refuses to work.

How does it drive?

The 1.0 is a decent all-rounded engine that has good bursts of speed to overtake and has enough stability to easily cruise at 120-140 speeds. The ride is a bit stiff at low speeds but I find myself being able to drive over small speed breakers at higher speeds without feeling any sharp movements.
The engine almost sounds like a diesel, especially in idle and lower gears. Most passengers immediately assumed I had a diesel.

I am particularly not fond of the gearbox and find it a tad notchy. I somehow struggle to find 4th gear if I need to downshift from 5. The neutral point is not actually right above 4th gear, and is more between 2nd and 4th. I had a bit of a scare as well once when I was unable to do this and eventually started slotting into 3rd directly from 5th.

The turbo lag gets a bit frustrating, especially if you want a quick overtake. If you are driving below a certain RPM in 2nd/3rd, it can take a second or two to kick in and suddenly you feel yourself getting pushed back into your seat with the burst of power. This is fun but can also get scary if you need to break suddenly.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car. I may have mentioned most of the negatives than positives but I honestly feel this is the best multi-purpose car in the market. Small, but not too small, can tackle some rough roads well, good safety, decent engine, it seems to tick all the right boxes for someone who needs 1 car that can do it all.

The only 2 things I would want to change - the terrible seat fabric and the addition of keyless entry with push button start. Else this car is perfect. I have already racked up 1200 km in 1 month and I am looking to do a lot more!
Raastapopulous is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 21:24   #1614
BHPian

Dear All,

I visited the VW showroom today at Palace, Bangalore. The old old cars (Highline AT) available are with Manual AC and I’m getting it around ~17.99L.

NEW UPDATE:
However, from Oct, with the prices rise the Highline AT additionally comes with Auto AC and Rain sensing wipers. For this, what they are calling the ‘MY23’ model (manf Oct) the discount cost is coming to 18.25L(trying my best to get more discount) but they aren’t budging. I don’t know if this is a good deal. I tried to even club extended warranty or any additional accessories along but no luck :/ )

Free 4 years SVP package is still available for so models.

***Also black roof top can be added for ~16k and the mirrors for ~3k
Old 12th November 2022, 22:19   #1615

Hello everyone! I was planning to do an ownership review/mini travelogue of the experiences with our Taigun here, but something else was in store for us to face.

A few days back, after having it idle for around a week, we turned on the car, and heard a loud beep followed by continuous beeps, with (almost) every single warning light on the instrument cluster on and the following messages:

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-2.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-3.jpg

Of course we were flabbergasted, as the car isn't even 2 months old. Hopeful that it was just a glitch, we started the car, and everything seemed to be normal, until we put the gear on reverse. The parking camera didn't pop on the screen, and the steering felt heavier than usual. We drove it around and realized everything wasn't right, so we stopped and called the service center.

In 15 minutes, two people from Volkswagen Madurai arrived and checked the car, and came to the conclusion that it's not possible for all parts to fail and the same time. They open the bonnet and look around and behold, a RAT NEST!

Here's a picture of the rat nest (Discretion advised, could be disgusting to look at).
Sorry for the blurry picture, the nest was inside the wiper frame, and I couldn't capture a good picture.

Our SA told us that we could tow the car to the service center or have one of their service people drive it there. I didn't want to tow the car nor risk someone's life on a faulty vehicle, so the SA told us we could book a flatbed through roadside assistance. Did the same through the toll-free number and the flatbed arrived the next morning.

And off it went to the service center!
(Couldn't click a picture as I was away, dad took care of everything)

Both the Sales Advisor and the Service Assistant were very responsive and informed us of every step they were doing. This car being our first German, I was quite scared thinking about the bill after reading countless horror stories about German car service costs.

We were informed that only the wiring was damaged, and the final bill amounted to around 6000 Rupees, including additional requests like wire protection, rat repellent coating and car wash. This was a BIG relief, as I was expecting a way bigger bill. Looks like VW 2.0 is doing well on that part.

We had the car delivered to us by this evening, with a perfect job done everywhere, especially the cleaning. Oh boy, I could never match that shine with my cleaning, experts are indeed experts. A big shoutout to Ramani Volkswagen, Madurai for their amazing and fuss-free servicing.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-5.jpg

Now that our Taigun is back to its former glory, is there anything I could do to protect it from future rat infestations? I would love to hear some ideas from the community.
MismatchD is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 03:25   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MismatchD View Post
Hello everyone!

Now that our Taigun is back to its former glory, is there anything I could do to protect it from future rat infestations? I would love to hear some ideas from the community.
Nice to read about the responsiveness of service center. Time-tested idea is placing small bunch of tobacco leaves which you can get from bunk shops and maybe you can change the parking place of your car a bit every now and then.
prabhu7944 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 09:12   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MismatchD View Post
Now that our Taigun is back to its former glory, is there anything I could do to protect it from future rat infestations?
Had the same issue a few years back. And it had made a nest in my Ecosport and got simliar issue wherein almost everything stopped working. Not just once, but thrice. Used tobacco as suggested by Bhpian Prabhu. But even that wasnt of much use. The best way is to shift your car to a different location for a few days (if you've an alternate car park that, though not stationary) and park it in reverse one day and other day facing front. Hope it helps. But be careful and vigilant as once they find they just never go away.
kaushiksudra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 10:06   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAJIT SENGUPTA View Post

You are pitting the strongest point of the 1.5 TDI against the weakest point of the 1.0 TSI

The torque figures/torque curve of both the engines are very different. The 1.5 TDI is able to deliver its peak torque (230NM) early (1500 rpm) in the rev band. The 1.0 TSI delivers its peak torque (178NM) later (1750 rpm) in the rev band. On top of this the 1.0 TSI is pushing a heavier car (Polo vs Taigun). Hence your experience.

Try pitting the strengths of the 1.0 TSI to the 1.5 TDI. Rev the 1.0 TSI to its mid - high range. This engine has got a flat torque curve all the way to 5500 rpm. You will see why its one of the best 1 liter turbo petrol engines around.

I believe someone else has already given this input, but having an automatic for the 1.0 TSI will ensure the pots remain on boil. And save you from frequent gear shifts and the feeling of having low torque at your disposal.

Upgrading from a diesel to a petrol probably needs a change in your driving philosophy. I am not an expert on that, but probably there is a discussion somewhere on that on team-bhp

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 22:30   #1619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
You are pitting the strongest point of the 1.5 TDI against the weakest point of the 1.0 TSI

The torque figures/torque curve of both the engines are very different. The 1.5 TDI is able to deliver its peak torque (230NM) early (1500 rpm) in the rev band. The 1.0 TSI delivers its peak torque (178NM) later (1750 rpm) in the rev band. On top of this the 1.0 TSI is pushing a heavier car (Polo vs Taigun). Hence your experience.

Try pitting the strengths of the 1.0 TSI to the 1.5 TDI. Rev the 1.0 TSI to its mid - high range. This engine has got a flat torque curve all the way to 5500 rpm. You will see why its one of the best 1 liter turbo petrol engines around.

I believe someone else has already given this input, but having an automatic for the 1.0 TSI will ensure the pots remain on boil. And save you from frequent gear shifts and the feeling of having low torque at your disposal.

Upgrading from a diesel to a petrol probably needs a change in your driving philosophy. I am not an expert on that, but probably there is a discussion somewhere on that on team-bhp

Cheers.
Very informative. I agree, with a TC gearbox, I feel I just need to nudge the accelerator slightly for it to switch to a lower gear and get into the turbo rev range. It gulps fuel, but is a lot of fun! This 1.0 is an absolute versatile gem!
Old 15th November 2022, 16:20   #1620
BHPian

Dad experienced an eerily similar series of events around three weeks ago. He was travelling and a rat managed to climb its way into the engine bay through the (for a lack of a better word) windshield area. Driver unassumingly thought it couldn't do much damage. Next morning, the instrument cluster was lit up with every warning light one can imagine. Dad and driver called up Mercedes Emergency Services who recommended that the car be towed, with no other means to get back to Bangalore, they took the calculated risk to drive the car back home. Luckily made it back safely and the car went in for service and was back with a relatively cheap bill (compared to some of the other rat damage stories on here)

Glad your car is back and running now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks