Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 12:13   #1816

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Dear All - does anyone know, or have heard, that the Taigun is no longer being allotted by VW to dealers in the Curcuma Yellow colour? I have heard nothing of this sort, and yet my dealer (Viraj - Noida, Delhi East) tells me that VW is not allotting the Taigun in the CY colour! I booked a Taigun 1.0Tsi MT Highline on 17 Jan (in the CY colour) and the dealer has largely been incommunicado, and now after raising hell with the dealer as we as with VW directly, at least the dealer has re-emerged and is a little communicative. But they now tell me that the CY colour is not being allotted. I am even willing to upgrade to the Topline, if that means I can get the car in the colour of my choice. Can someone help, if you are aware of what's going on? Or is this just a case of a lazy customer unfriendly dealer?
Old 13th April 2023, 08:49   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion hearted View Post
Dear All - does anyone know, or have heard, that the Taigun is no longer being allotted by VW to dealers in the Curcuma Yellow colour?
I purchased my Taigun GT+ in May 2022. I too was adamant on the CY color. I waited five months and had bookings across 3 different dealers for a CY Taigun GT+.

It never came. I settled for a red Taigun GT+.

Two of the SAs I was in touch with told me that VW was discontinuing the CY color. They mentioned that VW believed that maintaining the CY color in the real world is difficult and it ends up looking very sad when dirty. This statement could either be a sales pitch to sell me a different color, or it could hold a sliver of truth.

My suggestion would be to move on. Taigun comes in a lot of other good colors as well
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 09:36   #1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
I purchased my Taigun GT+ in May 2022. I too was adamant on the CY color. I waited five months and had bookings across 3 different dealers for a CY Taigun GT+.

It never came. I settled for a red Taigun GT+.

Two of the SAs I was in touch with told me that VW was discontinuing the CY color. They mentioned that VW believed that maintaining the CY color in the real world is difficult and it ends up looking very sad when dirty. This statement could either be a sales pitch to sell me a different color, or it could hold a sliver of truth.

My suggestion would be to move on. Taigun comes in a lot of other good colors as well
Thanks Tanu3000. Appreciate this very much. I still can't understand that when manufacturers remove a colour or an engine option etc from their line ups, why can't they just announce it the same way they did when they introduced these special lines? How much does it take? If nothing else, let there be a ticker running on your website. The entire world keeps screaming that Communication is key in all sorts of situations, and here you have dealers and customers trying to find their way in the dark. In this case zero Comms from the world's largest auto maker! Unbelievable really.
Old 13th April 2023, 19:01   #1819
BHPian

Team, just a verdict delivery on the AC performance and the driver side window one touch performance after close to a month of post update running.

Firstly, the good news. The one touch driver side window works just fine after the last software update.

The bad news - while the AC performance has improved, in the Chennai heat, auto mode is seriously lacking cooling power when set to 23deg with recirculator ON. It seems to be fine if you put it on medium-high blower manually.

That's the verdict. A bit of from me on the so called fix they did on the AC.
asmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 20:36   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Team, just a verdict delivery on the AC performance and the driver side window one touch performance after close to a month of post update running.

Firstly, the good news. The one touch driver side window works just fine after the last software update.

The bad news - while the AC performance has improved, in the Chennai heat, auto mode is seriously lacking cooling power when set to 23deg with recirculator ON. It seems to be fine if you put it on medium-high blower manually.

Whether this is AC performance of 1L engine? I think 1.5 GT did not have AC issues.
VRSriram is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 21:52   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Whether this is AC performance of 1L engine? I think 1.5 GT did not have AC issues.
I am not sure about whether 1.5L version had these issues. My understanding was that it too had these. But yes, my car is a 1.0L Topline variant.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 09:00   #1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post

Speaking about color, my dealer told me that Taigun and Virtus will soon be offered in full black. That will be something.
Petronius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:10   #1823
BHPian

2023 Taigun to be available in 3 more variants - 1.5 GT Plus Manual, GT Sport, Trail Edition and a new colour - Deep Black

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_6938.jpeg
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_6939.jpeg
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_6940.jpeg
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_6941.jpeg

Pricing and more details will be revealed June 23. No major feature changes expected
Source: Autocar India
true_sedan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:37   #1824
BHPian

Really like the new colors on the Taigun, Matte Black looks dope. They should have introduced matte black for Virtus as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-ft09q_xoaafblp.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-ft09raxwaepijs.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-ft09rlwwaict3g.jpeg  

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 10:52   #1825

My Taigun GT Plus DSG insurance is up for first renewal. Any OD reference quote for help here ?

And any recommended insurance providers with fellow Team BHPians in Bangalore based on your experience
Old 23rd April 2023, 11:40   #1826
BHPian

Took my Taigun 1.5 DSG on a 1650 Km Road Trip Ft. Mini Review/7000 Km Update
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20230408_101557.jpg

But first, here is a little back story on why I got the Taigun over the others.

So in short, i really wanted to get a FAST turbo petrol before the whole EV scene. Generally we keep our cars for 7-10 years so 2022 seemed like the perfect time.

The price segment i was looking at (18-22 Lakhs) had/has a lot of options but here is why the others did not make it to my garage.

Tata Harrier/Safari

Reasons for not getting either:

a) Too big.
b) Did not want a diesel.
c) It is a Tata, so it is given that it comes with a few free add-ons like poor QC, everything in the car feeling unfinished and the horror ASS stories on the forum itself.

MG Hector

Reasons for not getting this:

a) Too big.
b) Soft suspension setup = a very comfy ride. Sometimes i crave this in Taigun but then again, i was not looking for this.
c) Petrol being unpowered and pretty fuel inefficient.

Hyundai Creta/Seltos

a) Did not like both the cars. Creta stills looks odd (borderline ugly), Seltos just did not feel like the car i would want to drive as my last non-electric car (probably).

MG Astor

a) Even though i loved the interior and the red colour scheme, 1.3 Felt unpowered. The car generally did not feel that good to drive and that robot thingy on the dash kept staring and intrupting me like a kid wanting your phone at a family function.

Virtus/Slavia

a) Was not launched yet.
b) from what i had heard, it was supposed to be reaaally long. Which could be a problem.

Skoda Kushaq

a) No virtual cockpit. After driving the Taigun, i really wanted this.
b) The interior quality was more creeky than Taigun and felt a level below.
c) Boring rear end.

VW Taigun
Seemed like the perfect choice. Here are some pros and cons after driving for about 7k Kms.
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230403162027.jpg

Pros:

A) 1.5 TSI Evo engine paired with DSG is a gem to drive. Be it at city speeds or out on the highway. It never fails to bring a smile on my face!

B) My car is manufactured in April 2022. It was the first batch where they improved the headliner, removed the red inserts in the dash from the silver colour and got the folding ORVM back!

C) ACT or active cylinder technology works like a charm. It switches from 2 cylinder to 4 and back to 2 without a hint. The only way you know the switch is when the virtual cockpit indicates it. ACT makes the 1.5 more fuel effecient than the 1.0 TSI. At city/highway speeds when the car feels it can do with half the engine at work, it switches seemlessly.

D) Fuel economy: Not a very important point for me but for people who are curious here: In city moving traffic, the car gives about 12-15 kmpl. In bumper to bumper situation, i have seen it drop to as low at 8-10 kmpl. Out on the highway with cruise control, you can very easily get 18-20 kmpl out of this.

E) Paint quality is great IMO. I had initially booked white but changed to silver after i saw it in flesh. I think it looks lovely and really helps pop out the creases and design lines. GT plus comes with black roof.
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230405143551.jpg

F) Comfortable seats: The side bolsters keep you in place, the cushioning is spot on. Driving 300-400 kms in a stretch is never an issue. Although i could use a little under thigh support.

G) The interior lights: GT Plus comes with red interior ambient light across the dash while all the buttons are backlit with white LEDs. One of the coolest moment for me after puchase was finding out that there were small LEDs inside the interior door handle. None of the reviews had mentioned this.
The interior looks so good at night!

G.1) Interior shot at night:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20221102200245.jpg

G.2) The light inside the door handle:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20221102200319.jpg

H) Big enough interior space. Although i have never been driven around while sitting at the back, my parents and friends appriciate the leg space and the comfortable seats.

The list can go on and on but let us keep it to this much for now

Cons:

A) The interior quality could be a lot better: For a car that costs upwards of 20L, the interior plastics creak. Whenever i take the car out, for the first one or two bumps, you can hear the dash and the AC controls area creak but then it stops. It almost feels like the plastics expand and come loose (?) and needs a bump or two to fall back in place? I dont know if this makes sense.

B) I guess you have already read/heard about this but only the driver side window gets auto up/down powerwindows and almost everyone has the issue of the window rolling back mid way when the auto up or down is triggered. You then have to half press the button so as to not trigger the auto funtion to put the windows up or down. From what i have heard, this issue has been fixed via a software update that i am get to get (7500 km service is due).

C) and of course, the three magical ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶s̶ letters: DSG. Taigun comes with DQ200 gearbox It is a dry type gearbox that has left a lot of the owners dry out in the middle of the road. Now i gently brush off this when talking about, i smile a little but deep inside it haunts me to a point where if i have decided to start an SIP or an FD as a contingency fund to cancel out the expense that might arise (read: will arise) over the course of years.
and yes, i did take the extended warranty!

D) Plastics on the rear light bar: Although the light bar looks great at night, the plastics surrounding can get scratched very easily. The car is 11 months old and i have gotten the thing detailed twice but keeps getting micro scratches. Planning to get PPF done on this.

E) Slightly stiff suspension and narrow sidewalls: GT Plus comes with 17 inch alloys. This makes the ride sort of stiff and a lot of bumps can make its way into the cabin.

F) Low Speed + DSG = mildly annoying: As you list off the foot from the brake pedal, the car takes a good 1 second to start moving. This lag is something that i am used to now but it used to be very annoying. Also the gearbox does get a little jerky at low speeds.

With that said: The car has now done about 7.2k Kms and i am quite happy with it. I recently did a 1650 km long road trip with my childhood friend in the Taigun where we drove from Kolkata to Puri and fairly deep into the eastern ghats! The car was lovely to drive!

I will make a detailed post regarding the road trip perhaps later but
adding a few shots from the road trip here!

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230401101040.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230403095120.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230403134207.jpg

Attachment 2442943

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230405202835.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230405wa0073.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230405wa0157.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230403171447.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230404130634.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2023 at 17:29. Reason: Rule #11
omranga98 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 12:54   #1827

Rear-ended my car for the first time today. The lower bumper in plastic went inside. It has to be replaced. Has anyone replaced it?
If yes, please throw lights on the cost involved . Can we claim insurance? Thinking to replace it in VW Ramani tirunelveli as Nagercoil doesn't have a service centre . Since this is my first car, not sure if I should pay or claim insurance and other procedures
Old 23rd April 2023, 16:20   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_noob View Post
Rear-ended my car for the first time today. The lower bumper in plastic went inside. It has to be replaced. Has anyone replaced it?
If yes, please throw lights on the cost involved . Can we claim insurance? Thinking to replace it in VW Ramani tirunelveli as Nagercoil doesn't have a service centre . Since this is my first car, not sure if I should pay or claim insurance and other procedures
Everything on your car is covered under insurance which gets damaged by accidents, for the price of the bumper you have to contact service center guys only as they would tell you about the part and labour cost. Get it done under insurance, this is what you pay premium for.
yesyeswe is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:32   #1829
BHPian

Quote:

Do have any info on when this update was released? I think I need to get it done as well.

Quote:

Glad to see a similar feedback as what I documented a couple of weeks back. Indeed a big let down. I just realized this week that it I'm driving towards the the sun, the AC works more like an air cooler and would need to drop it closer to 18-19 to escape the heat. If I'm driving away from the sun, a good 20.5-21.5 is enough to keep the cabin usable. Big letdown. In most cases I switch to manual mode and set the blower to 3 or sometimes 4.

I've been hit with a few person issues I couldn't yet get the windshields or infact all six windows tinted. I had read someone mention in some post and I concur, would pay the fine to break this outrageous law if it means I can drive in comfort.

Last edited by drive.helios : 24th April 2023 at 18:33. Reason: Updated multi quote
drive.helios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 12:00   #1830
ved

DQ200 DSG Gearbox is still a major problem in India ? I am am very keen on 2023 Taigun but would be worried if this is still a major consideration

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks