Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 16:50   #1666
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
More the gimmicks, more the electronics, more chances of failure. And electronics are very difficult to diagnose and repair. These things will cost a bomb during replacement, All these gizmos in the new cars seem fancy, but most of the are still under warranty. Once these gizmos start failing our of warranty, thats when the pain will start.
Completely agree with your point about the pain to get these fixed after warranty. Considering this, I feel Mahindra may come up with the 7 yr warranty like Thar in the future that folks may benefit with.

Quote:
P.S. I drive a car without a rear view sensor, so I may be really old school. I think reversing without cameras will qualify as a stunt in few years.
I have a rear view sensor and reverse camera in my current car. Of all these, I only use my left and right ORVM to judge the parking. The camera is rarely used and only handy when I am aware that there is a big object that is right behind the car that the sensors may not be able to identify.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th October 2021 at 18:09. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 6th October 2021, 17:29   #1667
BANNED

As was the case with Thar Petrol MT, haven't found any reviews on the Petrol MT, would be thankful if any member has test driven it and can share their experiences here.

Again, the first model to be axed shall be the MX Petrol MT, the fixed soft top Thar at 9.8 was given a month, the MX Petrol MT shall survive a month or two, max. Mr Mahindra is as shrewd as one can be, lapping up Neeraj Chopra and others with the FoC offering of a XUV and creating all the buzz, would be an iota of what he would have landed up paying him as a brand ambassador.

Then again, the question of BHP at crank and what is offered on the wheels is still wide open. The 2009 Cruze at 148 HP and 327 Nm was a hoot, this should be a roit with those figures, alas can't find any credible reviews, which actually is shocking.

More than the product engineering team, I have to give it to the marketing team for creating the buzz and the product management team, managing to keep all the lower variants under the wraps.

Last edited by Torquedo : 6th October 2021 at 17:32.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 17:55   #1668
BHPian

Gurgaon price list with the two new variants added.
27.5 for the AWD L is way too steep in my opinion.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211006175413_file-viewer.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th October 2021 at 18:07. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
piyush1.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:03   #1669
BHPian

This would give an idea of the XUV 7oo's sturdy built quality & one can expect atleast 4 star rating in NCAP.

Last edited by Manojah : 6th October 2021 at 18:04.
Manojah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:18   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
My guess - to collect the dripping water from the ACC system so that the showroom floor remains dry.
Is the display car kept running in an enclosed environment like the showroom? My heart goes out to the staff and what they inhale
Old 6th October 2021, 18:24   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Is the display car kept running in an enclosed environment like the showroom? My heart goes out to the staff and what they inhale
Generally they won't have the car running, it will be connected to battery and you can check all the functions of the car, main ICE and Speedometer, maybe sometimes they might switch on for special request to check the engine noise or AC power. Most of the times it will just be in switched off state.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:46   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
360 camera involves a camera at the front and 2 cameras on the ORVMs. If you need to install them, you need to get rid of the existing ORVMs and buy the ones with the camera provision. So, even if the company allows, it is going to be expensive affair.
Thanks and I agree with you. Also, I don't know the cost and complexity involved to get it integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
I too was in the same boat and was not able to justify the 2L plus for Luxury variant. I took a test drive of Petrol Auto top variant and the 360 camera / Blind View Monitor were too good to be missed. I also liked the EPB, ever since I saw that in Jeep Compass. Other features like Sony system, additional knee airbag, wireless charger were good to have and not must have. She convinced me from AX5 (just because of non white seats) to AX7 to AX7L.
I can understand how we move up variant by variant and then we land into top end. That is how the car manufacturers miss some features and move them to next variant so that the customer is tempted to go up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
You'll also miss out on blind spot detection. I think that is very useful, probably more than 360 degree view.
My advice: Go for the AX7L if you will keep the vehicle for a long time and if this is going to be your primary vehicle.
Agree. Now, I have confirmed pre-booking of AX7L to the dealer. Lets see how M&M plans the delivery timeline

Quote:
Not specifically commenting this but a lot of people are placing very high emphasis on 360 degree camera nowadays. I have no idea if these really add any value to as much extent as people claim it does.
More the gimmicks, more the electronics, more chances of failure. And electronics are very difficult to diagnose and repair. These things will cost a bomb during replacement, All these gizmos in the new cars seem fancy, but most of the are still under warranty. Once these gizmos start failing our of warranty, thats when the pain will start.
P.S. I drive a car without a rear view sensor, so I may be really old school. I think reversing without cameras will qualify as a stunt in few years.
I get your point. Life was simple in earlier cars where majority of the parts were mechanical and few electrical / electronics parts. Hence there were fewer system integration issues leading to fewer failures. However, today's cars are more electronics (i think > 60%). Everything is controlled by some ECUs (Electronic Control Unit) which in turn enable some features (Engine, suspension, safety equipment, infotainment, etc). This involves too much of integration between mechanical, electrical and electronics equipment leading to complexity and possible avenues of failures and there is no escape for that. But again, this has evolved over time and keep getting improvised.

Very specific example : I used to drive without any rear view camera or sensors in my Santro. Now, I have Jazz with rear camera, Initially, I felt it was waste, but over a period of time, I got used to it. Now, I totally rely on it and it serves its purpose accurately.

Off topic example: We used to remember at least 20 phone numbers earlier days as we didn't have an option to store. Now, with modern cell phones, how many of us remember at least 10 numbers of your family / friends ?
Carz77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 19:15   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Just wondering if you are not alone what would be the future of Jeep in India.
Not that Jeep was having some future in India before XUV 700 launch. Jeep does not plan to sell more than 700-900 vehicles a month. In fact Auto car editor specifically asked Partha is there an ambition to clear 4 digit monthly sales numbers. Partha never seemed to worry about that. Jeep Compass product positioning strategy, has moved out of competing in the below 25 L market. While there are trims below the price point, their core products are above the 25 L range. I feel Seltos, Creata, Kushaq, Safari, Harrier and Taigun will be worried as they are the ones who are operating in this range. I feel Jeep pricing of its trims say that they have dont have a market share strategy. It uses the India as an export hub for its RHS markets. Sells engines to Tata's and MG's. Some people are happy that Jeep has not gone the VAG way and made products to compete in the mass market which could result in not being here or there. Also their service center ramp ups are not reflective of a great confidence in Indian market

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 6th October 2021 at 19:21.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 19:28   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
C
I have a rear view sensor and reverse camera in my current car. Of all these, I only use my left and right ORVM to judge the parking. The camera is rarely used and only handy when I am aware that there is a big object that is right behind the car that the sensors may not be able to identify.
Any thing that takes pressure out of the body is a welcome. Like auto gear box, Cruse controls. Any thing that takes away presence of mind is not good. Not sure ADAS / auto breaking etc. are going to be welcome. Rear parking camera is useful for people when they are in the car learning phase.

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 6th October 2021 at 19:29.
Old 6th October 2021, 19:28   #1675

Spoke to the Mahindra dealership SA today. As per him Mahindra is providing loyalty discount to buyer who already own a Mahindra and would like to exchange. Amount quoted was 25k which can be either availed as exchange bonus or loyalty discount. He wanted to send someone home to check my XUV500 w10 2017 model to put a exchange price.

Also as per him the current pricing is for first 25,000 customers. Once they surpass 25k bookings they might increase the price. No surprise here. I am sure they will surpass 25k booking in a months time looking at the excitement XUV700 has generated.

Will be heading to the dealership over the weekend to take a test drive
Abhinav1586 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 19:46   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to RamaKrishna Grandhi for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Thanks for the list. Couldn't find the parcel tray price or maybe it's the one at the end, hidden under the team-bhp logo.
Old 6th October 2021, 20:13   #1677
BHPian

I was looking for a spacious and reliable 5 seater SUV. Checked out the XUV 700 yesterday and ticked almost all the boxes . However there's only one issue. I'm confused between XUV 700 MX petrol variant and diesel variant. My annual running is not more than 8k-9k km. Which one should be a better option? with the petrol I'm a little hesitant with its low mileage, while in the diesel engine , there are chances of DPF issues cropping up because of my limited running.

Attaching some pics for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20211006-09.11.19-1.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20211006-09.11.19-2.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20211006-09.11.19-3.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20211006-09.11.19.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20211006-09.11.44.jpeg  

ani21 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 20:21   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
Thanks for the list. Couldn't find the parcel tray price or maybe it's the one at the end, hidden under the team-bhp logo.
It is there at the last sheet hidden behind Team-BHP logo - Luggage Cover. Priced @ 7776 INR and applicable for all variants.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 20:53   #1679
BHPian

This is a post reflecting my experience of the Mahindra Dealer at Kolkata (Salt Lake) and the driving experience.

The Sales Advisor, although unknown to me, requested me come early today because there was the local launch event yesterday and he did not want me to be lost for a want of explanation or attention due to paucity of time. He wanted to provide full attention and time to me, as a customer, which I appreciate very much (these are his words, and its good to know).

Browsing through the posts of this thread, it seems there is a Mahindra rep at each dealer? Well, he was here as well keeping an eye at the dealings.

Anyways, coming to the experience in the car, the brief likes and dislikes as under:

Driven: AX7 L Petrol Automatic

1. Excellent screen resolution on the Zyuzj instrument cluster and the infotainment screen. It can find its way in the Mercedes cars as well and nobody would suspect.

2. The switch buttons which are being touched and used are good to feel. No wobbliness.

3. Seats are nice to sit in. The bolstering and adjustments for my requirements are proper. Middle row seats have good seating and recline positions as well. The driver welcoming feature is a feel good factor.

4. The cabin insulation felt good. No unwanted outside noises were heard. The high RPM engine noise made through but I always loved the sound of a petrol engine. No vibrations creeped in from the pedal or steering.

5. Loved the ability to have the map on the instrument cluster than anything else. Its a boon to have it here and not move my

6. Test drove the car for about 10 Km and all ADAS feature worked well. (Side note: the TD person (not the SA) accompanying me was enjoying the features as well - it was his first time doing a proper ADAS test drive )

The adaptive cruise control was a charm with stop and go traffic. The TD person accompanying me started recording it in his cell phone and was grinning from side to side; Also, it detected cars, weaving cyclists and rickshaws well and braking was spot on. No sudden jerks even on the shortest distance ACC setting. It is well calibrated.

Next, the car even detected the lane markings wherein some of them were faded/missing and the lane keeping assisted came on and did some 10/15* curve correction on its own.

7. The body control for a big tall SUV was excellent. This is what impressed me a lot. Felt like I was (almost) driving the compass.

We had a pass a fly over with short rise, almost no plateau and short descent plus joints. Did a kick down acceleration as the flyover was empty. Instantly, the steering (which was almost Hyundai light) became tight and within seconds had reached 80 KMPH with no transfer of jolts of the joints.

Also, the downward slope had an uneven drop, which, on most cars gives a floaty wave after crossing, was not present in the XUV. In fact, the dampers gave no feeling of rebound on the inside. It felt like a normal smooth road.

Next, we went over a sharp half broken speed breaker where I had intentionally taken rear right tyre over it and the car didn't have any movement. All I could hear was the suspension doing its job - thanks to the independent suspension.

However, owing to the size and height of the car, the chicane style roads makes the physics of the car felt. The car did hold its line and there was no unnerving body movement.

8. Sony sound quality is pretty good. The TD guy wanted to listen to songs with oomph, so I put on Ed Sheeran and he was cool. Plus I liked the distribution of the frequencies as well, although coming from a Polo (small space) the filling of the space by music felt something different.

I was hoping for something like a canton system fill as on the Octavia. Anyways, this topic is subjective. I always preferred the Bose QC35 (vocal and sound stage) vs the Sony WH1000 XM (mid and bass focused) in case of headphones.

Dislikes:

1. The gloss black finish and the roundedness of the switchgear on the steering and door. I like crisp buttons with flat edges.

2. The sunroof is narrow - primarily due to the fact that the vehicle tapers from waist to head. So, although it is long, it feels narrow for the width of the vehicle esp while viewing by sitting at the middle row corner seat.

3. The distribution of features like the "pack" is only limited to the top end. None of the mid variants get telescopic steering?? You kidding me??

4. The tail gate vs the hood. There is a night and day difference. The tailgate feels so light (feel vs sturdiness always creates a doubt - although I know that composite fibres can sometimes be stronger) and the hood is so heavy but no gas struts. It's a bummer on both the sides of feeling.

5. Quality of Paint Finish is not as attractive as my Polo. I love my red..

6. The TD car had tyre pressure of 44+ all round. So I could not assess the proper feel of the grip of the car. I've asked for another TD with proper tyre pressure. May be the braking also would have been affected by this. So, I will have to reassess the handling dynamics.

7. eSim by Airtel?? Hmmm.. Coverage all around the places doubtful. Also, Alexa inside the showroom was throwing connection errors. Take that!

8. The non availability of luxury pack on 5 seaters is a tough one to swallow for me as I find the 7 seat version to have a uneven boot space (obviously) due to the folded seats. Drawing parallel, I like the harrier more than the Safari due to the same case.
Add to this, the roof rails are non functional. So if 7 seats are in there, no space for luggage. So in all, big car but only for short commutes??? Naah! doesn't work.

9. Coming to the braking (we found a unpopulated road for test), did a high speed (80/90 to 10) deceleration under hard but found the brakes to be spongy on the pedals. No feel of the bite.

Again - probable factors affecting here: High tyre pressure, new brake pads? I might need to do this again

Also, while doing this the hazard lights came on, which is a good feature. The nose dive was well contained. So, except for the spongy feeling, rest of the experience was good.

10. Missing Features: Auto Dimming IRVM, Cooled Seats: Livable without these but were expected.

If any of the above impressions change in the next test drive, will update. I am planning to do an evening test drive to assess the efficacy of the lights.

Last edited by KapilD : 6th October 2021 at 20:58.
KapilD is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 21:00   #1680
BHPian

Anybody knows if ESP in AX5 Diesel Automatic includes Traction Control and Hill Hold Control ?

I guess it should as it's not mentioned anywhere exclusively even in AX7, so must be part of standard ESP suite.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks