Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2023, 01:16   #9136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Took a test drive of the XUV700 petrol AT today. Came across 2 weird issues-

1. Adaptive cruise control won’t engage, showing an error- issue with radar. There was one other error- right rear tyre had lower pressure. Does anyone know if adaptive cruise has a correlation with tyre pressure?

2. Song playing on Apple CarPlay stopped suddenly and every time I clicked unmute, it played for a second and then the music stopped again.

Any thoughts or solutions will help.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2023 at 22:45. Reason: Grammar
Old 12th October 2023, 16:17   #9137
BHPian

Have fellow BhPians observed that Apple Carplay disconnects the moment you slot into reverse gear? This happened a couple of times with me and I cannot figure this.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 09:55   #9138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
Did a test drive off XUV700 petrol AT today. Came across 2 weird issues-

1. Adaptive cruise control won’t engage, showing an error- issue with radar. There was one other error- right rear tyre had lower pressure. Does anyone know if adaptive cruise had a correlation between tyre pressure.

Adaptive cruise control works with radar only. Also for adaptive cruise control to work it requires AEBS (Autonomous Emergency Braking System) to be enabled in XUV700.

It is not related in any way to the tyre pressure.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 11:30   #9139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Adaptive cruise control works with radar only. Also for adaptive cruise control to work it requires AEBS (Autonomous Emergency Braking System) to be enabled in XUV700.

It is not related in any way to the tyre pressure.
Yes, AEBS was enabled. Probably something was wrong with the radar module. Thanks for confirming regarding tyre pressure.

Not sure what went wrong with Apple carplay though.
Old 13th October 2023, 12:30   #9140
BHPian

Quote:
Did a test drive off XUV700 petrol AT today. Came across 2 weird issues-

1. Adaptive cruise control won’t engage, showing an error- issue with radar. There was one other error- right rear tyre had lower pressure. Does anyone know if adaptive cruise had a correlation between tyre pressure.

2. Song playing on Apple car play stopped suddenly and every time I clicked unmute, it played for a second and then music stopped again.

I happened to drive my friend's Petrol AX5 for 100 kms in Kerala roads. Absolute delight of a vehicle to drive, it was a car that was driven more than 15k - what a terrific machine. Engine and power delivery is just amazing.
Found the engine noise to be a bit high, but addictive power.
Coming to point - I had seen a similar intermittent issue in Android too.
Old 13th October 2023, 13:01   #9141
BHPian

Quote:
This seems more like a design and feature upgrade rather than a complete overhaul. This may pull customers from MG, Hyundai, Jeep etc. Mahindra has nothing to worry. Maybe Tata will have one more update in 2024 with petrol engine, an EV option and Lane Keep Assist.
Did a bit more digging... If I'm neutral enough & unopinionated to go with either of them purely based on merits, it is still a difficult choice; easy to say this - need a better engine but okay to let go of nice features? go with XUV; need best of features but okay with a regular 2L engine? go with Safari - eventually a compromise

Plusses with Safari (and not available in XUV), not in any order:
- Ventilated seats (front & middle rows)
- Paddle shifters
- Bigger dimensions (XUV dimensions in brackets): Overall - 4668 (4695)x1922 (1890)x1795 (1755) | Wheel base - 2741 (2750) | Ground Clearance - 205 (200)
- Better boot space (420L) (XUV has 240L)
- Touchless gesture-based tailgate
- LED foglamps (XUV has halogen lamps??)
- Adjustable middle row
- Auto-dimming IRVM
- 19" wheels (18" in XUV)
- Connected LED DRL both front & rear
- Bigger touchscreen (12.3") (XUV has 10.2")
- Illuminated Tata logo in steering wheel
- Ambient lighting

Plusses with XUV:
- Still the best engine (considering Diesel variant) 2.2L, 182BHP, 420NM (Safari has 2L, 168HP, 350NM)
- Better mileage; even with bigger engine
- AWD (Safari doesn't have this option)
- Advanced door handles (Safari has regular ones)

Any thoughts on how to decide? Pls share.
Old 13th October 2023, 14:38   #9142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Did a bit more digging... If I'm neutral enough & unopinionated to go with either of them purely based on merits, it is still a difficult choice;
My 700 AWD has LED Fog and cornering lamps apparently. Appears very whitish. 6000K? I'd like 3000 or 4500K . I still miss the projector lamps of my (now sold) 1st generation XUV500.

The 700 has no puddle lamps, unlike the 500 or Harrier. It also comes with the micro-hybrid engine auto stop and start technology. Potentially dangerous, damaging and undoubtedly the most-irritating feature. You need to turn this thing off everytime.

19" tyre replacement will cost you much more than 18-inch ones. However, A/T tyres are not available in XUV700 AWD stock size. I would have preferred 17-inch wheels.

Advanced door handles require the phone LED flashlight else you can't find them in a dark environment. My car is midnight blue in color.

The mHawk engine in Zoom mode makes 198 BHP, not 182. The automatic transmission of the 700 is sourced from Aisin and my observation, it is smoother than the Hyundai-sourced one in the Harrier. Overall, the 700 is more fun-to-drive and easier-to-park. Much more of a driver's car. I could be wrong here, this is based on short drives I took in Harrier.

Both cars offer ample blind spots . And one TBHPian has sold his top-spec Harrier because of terrible ergonomics.

You missed a big one. The crash test results of the Harrier.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th October 2023 at 14:42.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 17:20   #9143
RVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham_2206 View Post
Hey folks! I'm getting the "SD card is full" message and so the recording is no longer happening. Any suggestions on how can the recording be resumed without a visit to the Service Centre? Is there a quick way to delete existing videos?
Even I faced a similar issue during my recent trip. A little digging into the folders revealed the SD card was filled with Emergency recording videos which does not get overwritten. Delete the emergency videos from the gallery and you should be good to go. Btw, even a small jerk while reversing / parking will trigger emergency video recording and for me this is daily due to the incline to reach my parking spot
RVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 18:23   #9144
BHPian

Quote:
Did a bit more digging... If I'm neutral enough & unopinionated to go with either of them purely based on merits, it is still a difficult choice; easy to say this - need a better engine but okay to let go of nice features? go with XUV; need best of features but okay with a regular 2L engine? go with Safari - eventually a compromise
A little over an year of owning 700 AWD D AT and a Tata Nexon EV and below are my two cents:

Comfort features and budget aside - I would be heavily inclined towards facelift safari/harrier with EPS just for its suspension. My 700 suspension is great on good tarmac and high speed conditions but its definitely not the one to soak up potholes and normal joints/manhole covers you find on Bangalore roads - it works but it lets you know that its working and it lets you know loudly. I also drive a Nexon EV and its suspension soaks up these bangalore road conditions way way better than my 700 and without any drama whatsoever. Engine and GB setup in 700 is addictive and theres never a dull moment.

For me the biggest cons with safari/harrier are lack of crash test rating and no AWD, and these come right at the top of the priority list for me personally.

Put down your top 3 or 5 priorities you need in your vehicle and you will get your answers straight away because there are few big feature differences between these two and its easy to lock in on one depending on what you have in those top 5. Door handles, alexa, sunroofs etc will lose their novelty factor within 6 months of ownership so dont sweat much on them.

Sales and service centers for both are equally bad but I find M&M from the company end is lot more responsive to customer feedback and open to engage with them if you have any issues.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2023 at 22:43. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Sandegov is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 18:46   #9145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The mHawk engine in Zoom mode makes 198 BHP, not 182.
The diesel engine (M-Hawk) makes 182 BHP in Zap and Zoom mode. It's the Petrol (M-Stallion) variant that makes 198 BHP and it doesn't have drive modes.
WDP-4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 19:00   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDP-4D View Post
The diesel engine (M-Hawk) makes 182 BHP in Zap and Zoom mode. It's the Petrol (M-Stallion) variant that makes 198 BHP and it doesn't have drive modes.
My bad, writing from my memory and got mixed up BHP/Torque stats. Indeed, it produces 182bhp and 450 Nm of torque (420Nm in MT) while the petrol mill will produce 197bhp and 380Nm of torque. Thanks for correcting me
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 20:17   #9147
BHPian

Quote:
This seems more like a design and feature upgrade rather than a complete overhaul. This may pull customers from MG, Hyundai, Jeep etc. Mahindra has nothing to worry. Maybe Tata will have one more update in 2024 with petrol engine, an EV option and Lane Keep Assist.
Based on what Tata Motors mentioned during unveiling event, that Lateral assist features in ADAS will be enabled at a later date in all the vehicles. So with EPS they have Lane keep assist, but hasn't been activated yet, I suppose they are still testing the features. Its first time in India that they are rolling ADAS upgrades through software update, similar to what Tesla does.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2023 at 22:42. Reason: Grammar, capital letters
Wakeupsid is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2023, 23:29   #9148
BHPian

Quote:
Did a bit more digging... If I'm neutral enough & unopinionated to go with either of them purely based on merits, it is still a difficult choice; easy to say this - need a better engine but okay to let go of nice features? go with XUV;

I started my search of a 3 row vehicle earlyJan this year. Booked Alcazar (DCT Turbo) and XYV 700 AX7L petrol on the same day. Post that test drove Meridian, Gloster, XUV700, Alcazar, Carens and Safari multiple times over last 9 months. Was allocated Alcazar in May but canceled it as more I test drove XUV700, the more I was getting firm in my mind that this is what I want. Test drove Petrol AT as well as Diesel AT combined upwards of 300 km . Major rason for rejections for each option were:
1) Alcazar - Fantastic petrol motor but lack of space and concerns about safety. Feature wise it had everything.
2) Meridian - Initial acceleration was lethargic. One can very easily feel the lag from 0 to 30/40 acceleration and it was a nojor irritant. Other concerns were mainly about congested space in middle row and apprehensions about Jeep closing it's shop anyday like other American Brands. It has best suspensions and feels premium from driver's seat. Also was costlier by 15 lakh ac compared to XUV700.
3) Gloster - again, ethargic engine and gear box combination and too bulky along with huge difference in price.
4) Safari - engine performance in test drive vehicles was disheartening. I test driove 4 different test drive vehicles across Bangalore and Varanasi. All of them wrre in worst condition than any XUV700 I test drove (6 in total).

Got my XUV700 AX7L Diesel delivered last week.
Have clocked upwards of 1000 KM including a 440 km highway run. I just want to spend each day whole of it driving it!! Guess life is not so easy!!

After all the research, test drives and watching and tons of reviwes etc. my honest opinion is that XUV 700 is still the best vehicle (3 row) below 50 lac mark. Tuscon Diesel is the best 2 row one, but it is costlier by 15 lac on road in Bangalore.

Definitely I would have liked to have ventilated seats, electric tail gate, sliding middle row, auto dimming IRVM etc in it and would have easily paid couple of lakhs more for the same.Havung said that even if I have to purchase today once more, I would still go for it over Safari. No disrespect to Safari or any other vehicle mentioned above, but when you sit on driver's seat you forget about everything else that is missing.

I would uld say that it is the best driver's SUV in it's segment which is also comfortable for family.
SamDiablo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 00:11   #9149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
You missed a big one. The crash test results of the Harrier.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Basically both have pros & cons

Yeah, NCAP rating is a big one. However, it is just a matter of time I suppose, as Safari is based on Land Rover platform which is already 5 star NCAP certified.

The biggest feature out of all these is the ventilated seats I suppose. I face sweaty back problems in both the cars I drive. What's your experience in XUV without this feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post

For me the biggest cons with safari/harrier are lack of crash test rating and no AWD, and these come right at the top of the priority list for me personally.

Put down your top 3 or 5 priorities you need in your vehicle and you will get your answers straight away because there are few big feature differences between these two and its easy to lock in on one depending on what you have in those top 5. Door handles, alexa, sunroofs etc will lose their novelty factor within 6 months of ownership so dont sweat much on them.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
It's interesting to hear that XUV makes so much noise over potholes! Will probably take another TD

I think I'm swinging more towards XUV because of AWD & better engine.

I also saw reports that touchscreen experience & software is better in Nexon than in XUV. As you have both, what's your experience? Which is superior?

Just hope that XUV facelift won't land just after I get the delivery

Last edited by blackdiesel : 14th October 2023 at 00:12. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th October 2023, 01:10   #9150
BHPian

Quote:
Did a bit more digging...

After initial euphoria of features subside, the basics matter the most. Depends on what you feel are the most basic set of features e.g. for me cruise control, climate control and automatic transmission are non negotiable.
Anything else is a bonus. Now whichever car provides better drive experience and more comfort for family should be the choice.

Specific points -

- If you’re going to be majorly driving in city- XUV feels easier to drive, but on the highways experience is better on Safari.

- Tata who has been usually proactive in getting crash tests done is silent on safari. Till the time they introduce petrol engine, I don’t think Tata is going to get Safari tested. XUV on the other hand is a proven platform.

- XUV petrol is more refined and the engine gearbox combo is fantastic. This is the most important factor for me.

- Safari’s ride is more pliant whereas XUV handling is superior.

- With the latest update on Tata twins, the infotainment has taken a step ahead in the safari. XUV isn’t far behind but has lot of small issues.

- Mahindra seems like having a tighter structure w.r.t service as compared to tata. Something like a continuous improvement program. Tata service is far from desired.

- XUV700 is a grounds up product built for Indian + international markets. Safari is a heavily reworked version of a international product made specifically for Indian market. Somehow it feels better in XUV.

Also, regarding the missing features on XUV700, a facelift is incoming with some updates. One can wait till then, anyhow if you are booking fresh there’s a minimum 3-4 months waiting period on either of the cars.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks