Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 09:31   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
So is the Hycross E20 fuel ready? Will it affect the mileage and performance? Owners would know if it supports I guess by looking at the owners manual.
It is now. New cars are coming with an E20 sticker.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:40   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Quick update on Fuel Efficiency.

After an additional 611 km of driving, I had 35.06 litres of petrol filled (standard Indian Oil 91) which works out to 17.4 kmpl.

For highway (this time it was a couple of runs to the airport + Channapatna) I get in the range of 17-19 kmpl.
Hi,

Is this Hybrid or non hybrid Hycross? Figures looks solid.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 20:39   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Hi,

Definitely hybrid. I drove around 200kms to Trivandrum yesterday, got stuck in traffic due to a bus breaking an axle, got diverted through a rather hilly road with a lot of slopes and still managed 16.3 kmpl. 17+ should be easily achievable on normal roads.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:04   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Hi,

Hi

As Crestek rightly observed, this is a Hybrid (VX).

Did a 366 km round trip to Shravanbelagola today. Technically it was all highway. But I wouldn’t classify NICE road and the Neelmangala road as true highways!

I started with 750km DTE on a full tank.
It still shows 420km DTE.

Started with 17.5 kmpl on the MID.
It went down to 17.0 kmpl for a bit.
Reached exactly 17.5 kmpl when I was back home

Another observation - I usually drive in comfort mode only. This time tried the Power mode extensively. Apart from the accelerated acceleration (!), power mode seems to “lock on” to the EV mode much better since it gives higher speeds at lower revs and is better when using cruise control.
I go EV mode for a bit at over 90kmph briefly.

It was difficult to drive at constant speeds. Lost count and patience of the number of ahem non complaint drivers I came across. Such beautiful roads and alas we can’t seem to drive properly on them. Apologies for the off topic rant! But it did contribute to lower mileage!
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 22:02   #1700
BHPian

Finally got the delivery of Hycross Zx(O) in Sparkling Black today. The colour is very good much to my initial apprehensions. It's dark royal blue-black. A variation of Ageha Black that i initially booked. Great delivery experience with Trust Toyota, Dehradun/Roorkee.

Price Ex-showroom @ Rs. 29,99,900/-
+ TCS @ Rs. 29,990/-
+ Love your car package @ Rs. 14000/-
+ TGA kit (Accesories) @ Rs.59000/-
+ Extended Warranty 5Y/1 Lacs Kms. @ Rs.44060/-
+ Others @ Rs. 6250/-
+ Temp. RC @ Rs. 2500/-

+Insurance (from Toyota-New India) w/o battery cover but inclusive of Zero dep, Consumables, Tyres & Alloys, Engine Protect, Key protect, Return to invoice & Personal belongings add-ons = Rs. 96057/-

I am highly confused on Insurance's Battery cover add-on. Dealer people says the regular insurance do not cover the Hybrid Battery system which costs 10-12 Lacs and they quoted Toyota Insurance with Battery cover at the premium of Rs. 35-38k. They also claimed that the insurance we buy online also do not give the add-on for battery. For now, I skipped taking the Insurance with battery cover when they quoted absurd price of the Hybrid batteries, which as per info is not more than 8 Lacs. If found their claims to be true, may opt for it from 2nd year onwards.

Can fellow members share their experiences on Insurance of their Hybrid vehicles? Do we need any additional add-on for hybrid batteries over the regular Insurance.

The overall initial impression of the vehicle is good as expected though few disappointments (also observed by fellow members) are as follows -
(1) Missing Wireless charger.
(2) Poor 360 Camera quality.
(3) Design/Quality of Center console. Doesn't feel premium at all.
(4) Interior plastic quality.

ADAS functions worked flawlessly in my initial 80 kms. highway drive back to home.
This was surprisingly easy to use as this was my first experience with ADAS features.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230528-14.20.24.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230528-14.20.242.jpg  

Last edited by superbhikari : 28th May 2023 at 22:04.
superbhikari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 09:46   #1701
BHPian

Thank You! Team-Bhp

Very Excited to Share my first post on team-bhp I am an avid follower and reader of team-bhp since 2018, and I have gained much information and insights from the forum. Very excited to be a part of this community. Never a day goes by without checking team-bhp and its quality content was quickly sort of addictive, thank you, moderators, for approving my account.

Buying Process/Dealer Experience

When we set out in the market there was honestly only the xuv700 that we were considering apart from Innova, Others were simply not that appealing, We almost bought a 2022 Innova Crysta gx automatic but due to some problem it never came in our hands and after that, Toyota stopped crysta altogether.
We very much looking forward to new Innova launch and when it launched it seemed the best and the most value for money MPV under 30lacs when compared with xuv700 and others in the price range.

We booked hycross on launch date itself in novemeber, and then by January end we first got to see the hycross in person and we liked everything about it and decided to go ahead,and then waited patiently our SA assured that by March we will get the car allotted.The SA knew us very well and knewed that we were serious in getting the car he also warned us and was pushing us to get it as soon as possible, he was also warning us about price hikes, but our car never got allocated before March.
In March after the 85k price hike we got our Innova Hycross hybrid vx 8-seater allocated and on 15 March we took delivery and it was indeed very special moment taking delivery felt very special.

This was our very first experience with the Toyota dealership and have to say it was very pleasant they are very professional and understanding, no nonsense attitude and very down to earth. The only gripe we had that Our SA forced us to take insurance, extended warranty and all the accessories. After much arguing and drama we finally gave in and took insurance and extend warranty as they were not ready to move forward without them.

Coming to the compulsory accessories SA was forcing us to take all accessories with 50k but we liked and wanted only 3,4 items on the list, after much arguing and negotiation SA finally agreed on the accessories front, the accessories we got were:
1.Fog lamps
2.Front and rear underrum
3.Chrome door handles
4.Chrome window beading

Coming to the Actual Review after 2000kms...

Recently last week crossed the 2000 km mark and wanted to write a brief summary of all the observations and experiences till now.
I have been following this thread from the beginning and gain much more information and insights which also helped me in our purchase decision.
My close relatives have the Crysta(2018) and had an earlier Innova (2012) and I have traveled quite a lot in them and i appreciate that cars very much even more now after getting the hycross, but getting the newest innova and especially our first hybrid car this early was indeed very exciting and special.
I will divide my overall experience and observations into the following parts:
1. Design, Exterior, and overall build quality
2. Interiors
3. Comfort and ride quality
4. Performance and handling, mileage
5. Other observations

1. Design, Exterior, and overall build quality
  • It looks fresh and modern, I love the way it looks, It feels more like an SUV, and has a very commanding presence.
  • Overall design and styling feel more like an evolution from Crysta.
  • Doors, boot, and Bombay felt heavy and had proper heft to it it's the same level as crysta.
  • Solid Build quality overall, built like a tank, gives you a very secured feeling once inside similar to Germans.
  • Our family also has Crysta and when I compared both hycross felt bigger overall, but in terms of design and how the car will age I think Crysta will age better and Crysta overall looks more understated compared to Hycross
    Crysta has a more timeless design.
  • Hycross feels like a mini Velfire in some way.

2. Interiors
  • The design of the dashboard is good, simple without any fussy styling, and will age well.
  • Big physical buttons for everything make everything easy, including climate control and other settings. It's a big positive.
  • The overall interior quality level feels on par with Crysta but in some areas like plastics used on doors and in lower parts felt very cheap.
  • One touch up and down for all windows it's a nice premium touch.
  • MID quality and quality of graphics are excellent, it's very simple and easy to use. Dials are also excellent.
  • Steering wheel leather quality is strictly average.
  • I have read in the older posts someone mentioned that clip that holds the sun blinds came off, similar thing happened to me too, it felt 2 -3 times need to get it fixed.
  • Toyota should have provided illuminated switches for all power windows , it's just a stupid cost-cutting, and it's very difficult to find power windows switches at night, I am thinking to change the switches to one with illumination if that's possible in the future.

3. Comfort and Ride Quality
  • The ride feels plush and compliant with a full load it soaks bumps and potholes very well.
  • Cvt gearbox results in an extremely smooth ride from the start, with no jerks or anything which is a big positive and adds to the overall comfort.
  • When the 2nd-row seat is pushed all the way back is just enormous and gives you a proper understanding of how much space flexibility and overall space inside the cabin.
  • Hycross just creates a new benchmark for comfort and ride quality for its segment and maybe other segments above.
  • AC performance was very good, blower fan speed control range is also good. Ac is a chiller and very effective, cools the cabin very quickly.
  • The implementation of a step on the running board between the 2nd and 3rd-row seat makes it easier in getting in and out of the 3rd row as it creates a cavity and you know where exactly to place your feet, nice and thoughtful design implementation, running board itself is wide.
  • Suspension is amazing on both low and high speeds it feels like the car is just gliding.
  • it's my first time driving and experiencing CVT and CVT very much suits the purpose and personality of Innova.
  • Window insulation is very effective, it cuts out engine noise and outside noise very well, engine and motor operation sound can be heard if you hear from outside, from outside it sounds like any other petrol engine if it turns on, but once inside the cabin, it feels very silent.
  • In the 2nd-row seat width felt a bit less for 3 adults to sit comfortably but the amount of legroom is just mind-blowing.
  • The 2nd-row seat is placed somewhere lower to the floor which affects under-thigh support compared to Crysta.
  • Also, 3rd seats are good for adults but I hate the rails for 2nd-row seat adjustment on the floor, it does not lead to comfortable positioning of feet for 3rd-row passengers and it feels confusing where to place your feet.
  • In crysta, there was no such problem in the 3rd row as the rails were underneath the floor and the floor was flats.
  • Also, the positioning of the rails of the 2nd row seat and the way it is open to dust and debris, does make me think of how reliable and problem free this mechanism will be, toyota should have implemented this in a better way or just leave it as it was in crysta as it was so perfect.
  • 3rd-row seating was definitely better in crysta.

4. Performance/Driving experience and handling, mileage
  • It feels very car-like to drive, and confidence-inspiring, and very communicative, Steering feedback is also good and driving dynamics are sorted and predictable.
  • High-speed stability is excellent, in terms of stability and overall handling it feels sort of more like the Germans maybe it's due to a stiffer suspension setup.
  • Acceleration is more than adequate and very linear.
  • Braking is also very confidence inspiring, one needs to get accustomed to hybrid braking as it is different from conventional cars and takes some time getting used to.
  • Headlight illumination was good and adequate at night, but there should be an option to turn off the headlight completely.
  • Steering is very light at low speeds and makes it very easy while parking, and weighs up very well as speed increases.
  • One thing I realized as my first time driving a hybrid is you can't drive it like a regular automatic car you have to change your driving style to get maximum mileage.
  • There is some push and power assisted from the electric motor always even at higher speeds and in ghats regularly depending on the position on the pedal and speed and it changes quite frequently if the battery has enough charge left.
  • If driven carefully and with control over the acceleration the car can be run in ev mode alone for 2 to 3 km if speed is kept low, it works and I have tried it 2 -3 times
  • I got between 15-20 kmpl in mixed usage, never got less than 14 kmpl
  • One needs to lower the seat a bit to get a more comfortable and confident driving position
  • I also did some traveling in the ghats section with a full load with steep hills and Hycross performed brilliantly, I was also very keen as to how it will perform and I must say it passed with flying colors
  • It felt effortless to drive on ghats and I didn't need to accelerate more for more pickup just light acceleration was enough to keep it going upwards, pick up was more than enough At first, I felt the engine is straining a bit but it was just CVT way of delivering power in a very linear manner.
  • The transition from battery power to engine and back is seamles, it's very hard to pick when it happens.
  • The engine starts automatically if the battery is 3 bars or less or if the battery is depleting or if the engine needs to warm up.

5. Other Points and Observations
  • Front and rear parking sensors and 360 degrees cameras help a lot in positioning and Maneuvering.
  • The auto-hold function is such a boon and works perfectly.
  • The silence of the car while starting and at low speeds never fails to amaze us.
  • Keyless entry and locking work well, its implementation is similar to Camry, one of the better implementations compared to others.
  • The audio system and speaker quality in vx are good.
  • Plenty of charging options (3 type c) is a very thoughtful addition
  • After getting a bit accustomed to the hybrid driving style I try to coast as much as possible to recharge the battery
  • Also, one can feel the difference when the car is running on battery alone or with the engine combined through the feel and vibration of the accelerator pedal itself.
  • Just a few days ago on the Mumbai Pune expressway and near Thane I saw more than 10 Velfire, on the same day, I was shocked by its popularity,velfire is doing well in its segment it might be the most selling luxury limousine van in its segment, and I have seen many actors also have velfire, seems like the already high Toyota brand value is going to increase even more than before with the introduction of velfire, and hybrid tech adoption is also not a problem. My dealer said that there is six months waiting period on Velfire

Conclusion
Very happy and satisfied with the overall experience with the hycross till now, can't wait to do long trips in this beast.
manofinfinity is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:09   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashd View Post
I understand from the dealer that all 8-seater registration has been put on hold across India because of registration issues for individual owned vehicles. Has anyone else heard of it? My eight seater is waiting in the stock yard.
What! Can anyone please elaborate more on this, From when registration for 8-Seaters have been kept on hold?
manofinfinity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:15   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Finally got the delivery of Hycross Zx(O) in Sparkling Black today. The colour is very good much to my initial apprehensions. It's dark royal blue-black. A variation of Ageha Black that i initially booked. Great delivery experience with Trust Toyota, Dehradun/Roorkee.

Price Ex-showroom @ Rs. 29,99,900/-
+ TCS @ Rs. 29,990/-
+ Love your car package @ Rs. 14000/-
+ TGA kit (Accesories) @ Rs.59000/-
+ Extended Warranty 5Y/1 Lacs Kms. @ Rs.44060/-
+ Others @ Rs. 6250/-
+ Temp. RC @ Rs. 2500/-

+Insurance (from Toyota-New India) w/o battery cover but inclusive of Zero dep, Consumables, Tyres & Alloys, Engine Protect, Key protect, Return to invoice & Personal belongings add-ons = Rs. 96057/-
Hi Bro, did you not pay any registration charges? Asking since you have not mentioned above and moreover as per UP EV policy, Hybrids are exempt from Registration charges. I have been taking this up with Uttam Toyota in Ghaziabad but they are not aware of the same and neither the RTO is reverting to them. As per them the Hybrid currently being registered at full charges. Whereas the notification clearly states 100% exemptions. I have tweeted several times on this and have even put an RTI but no response till now.
goel.honey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:35   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel.honey View Post
Hi Bro, did you not pay any registration charges? Asking since you have not mentioned above and moreover as per UP EV policy, Hybrids are exempt from Registration charges. As per them the Hybrid currently being registered at full charges. Whereas the notification clearly states 100% exemptions.
Since my hometown is in UP and car purchased from UK, I will be doing the registration on my own. I am awaiting complete set of docs from the dealer in a day or two to proceed for registration. Will share break-up post that. The much I can recall is exemption to EV/Hybrid on Registration charges in U.P. policy is on first come first serve basis limited to certain numbers.

"This subsidy will cover the first 2 lakh of electric two-wheelers with a subsidy of Rs 5000 per vehicle. It can also provide a maximum of Rs 12,000 to the first 50,000 three-wheelers and Rs 1 lakh for the first 25,000 four-wheelers."

In UP EV Policy, EV also includes Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV), Plug-in Hybrid, etc.

Unsure of two things - The reference to calculate first 25000 4-wheelers and whether the Hycross qualifies the definition of Strong Hybrid.
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:55   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashd View Post
I understand from the dealer that all 8-seater registration has been put on hold across India because of registration issues for individual owned vehicles. Has anyone else heard of it? My eight seater is waiting in the stock yard.
This seems like a local issue as many others like me took delivery of their 8 seater variant with private vehicle registration. I took mine in March 2023 in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
What! Can anyone please elaborate more on this, From when registration for 8-Seaters have been kept on hold?
There doesn't seem to be an issue in Maharashtra. Check with your dealership for clarification.
Old 29th May 2023, 12:30   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Since my hometown is in UP and car purchased from UK, I will be doing the registration on my own. I am awaiting complete set of docs from the dealer in a day or two to proceed for registration. Will share break-up post that. The much I can recall is exemption to EV/Hybrid on Registration charges in U.P. policy is on first come first serve basis limited to certain numbers.

"This subsidy will cover the first 2 lakh of electric two-wheelers with a subsidy of Rs 5000 per vehicle. It can also provide a maximum of Rs 12,000 to the first 50,000 three-wheelers and Rs 1 lakh for the first 25,000 four-wheelers."

In UP EV Policy, EV also includes Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV), Plug-in Hybrid, etc.

Unsure of two things - The reference to calculate first 25000 4-wheelers and whether the Hycross qualifies the definition of Strong Hybrid.
Hi, Thanks for reply. Just wanted to point out that policy has 2 incentives for EV buyers - Registration charges waiver and Subsidy. Registration charges waiver is on all electric vehicles Sold and Registered in UP. While subsidy is on first 25000 EV.
Further, policy defines EV to include all BEV, SHEV, FCEV and PHEV. Hence Hycross should be exempt from Registration and if purchased in first 25000 vehicles then it’s also eligible for subsidy of 1 lakh.
Attaching the notification from Transport Department for the same. But the issue is ground information and implementation is still not clear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shasanadesh.pdf (582.3 KB, 164 views)
goel.honey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:53   #1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
This seems like a local issue as many others like me took delivery of their 8 seater variant with private vehicle registration. I took mine in March 2023 in Pune.

There doesn't seem to be an issue in Maharashtra. Check with your dealership for clarification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
This issue has been reported on the parivahan site and as i understand the problem surfaced from last week i.e. 22/may. The parivahan site is not allowing registration of 8-seater on individual name. As per dealer Toyota has been pulled into it and is taking it up with parivahan ministry. This makes me feel it is a country wide problem. Can you check with your respective SA about the veracity of this claim.
Smashd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:29   #1708
BHPian

Hi All, Do we have any member who has got a Hycross Gasoline version and its feedback? I am planning to get one and hence wanted to check "Kitna Deti hai"? I heard it is a signle digit mileage and now am wondering if I should consider only Gasoline version or the Hybrid.
Old 29th May 2023, 18:57   #1709

Quote:
Since my hometown is in UP and car purchased from UK, I will be doing the registration on my own. ...
Did you buy it from Trust Toyota Roorkee? When did you book it? I made a booking with them in December 2022. Recently, I received a message that it will take 18 months more!
Old 29th May 2023, 20:52   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am highly confused on Insurance's Battery cover add-on. Dealer people says the regular insurance do not cover the Hybrid Battery system which costs 10-12 Lacs and they quoted Toyota Insurance with Battery cover at the premium of Rs. 35-38k. They also claimed that the insurance we buy online also do not give the add-on for battery.
Doesn't the hybrid battery have Manufacturer warranty of 8 years?
If that's the case, I don't see any point in insuring the battery. Insurance companies won't show much interest when the hybrid battery gets old anyway (which is when you would really need insurance).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks