Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 22:14   #1711
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

I called up Lucknow dealer on behalf of a friend looking to buy one of the Hybrid cars. Found dealership attitude and tone over call to be quite arrogant and they were quick to shoot down any of my further queries by saying - They are not accepting any Hybrid Hycross bookings and Hyryder Hybrid has 18 months waiting period! I truly felt I called up some Bentley or Ferrari dealer (had to pinch myself to bring myself to reality)
Anyway, dejected me calls up Nexa for any bookings they may take for their Hybrid cousin. They were more than happy to take the booking and even promised me delivery within 3 months for any colour. By evening, 3 more Nexa dealers called me up to take my bookings!

I feel- Is Toyota really serious in selling their hybrid cars or they are just happy to contract manufacture hybrid cars for Suzuki !
AMG1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 22:19   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Doesn't the hybrid battery have Manufacturer warranty of 8 years?
If that's the case, I don't see any point in insuring the battery. Insurance companies won't show much interest when the hybrid battery gets old anyway (which is when you would really need insurance).
Hybrid batteries are covered under warranty for 8Y. But in case of accidental impact, insurance might not cover the Hybrid batteries unless the battery cover add-on is added, as per the dealer.
superbhikari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 00:31   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Hybrid batteries are covered under warranty for 8Y. But in case of accidental impact, insurance might not cover the Hybrid batteries unless the battery cover add-on is added, as per the dealer.
Thanks, very useful piece of info. Is battery cover add on available in all the insurances or specific ones?
Old 30th May 2023, 00:39   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Thanks, very useful piece of info. Is battery cover add on available in all the insurances or specific ones?
I have not seen such cover on online policies yet. Insurance through Toyota platform/dealers are offering this add-on for now for sure.

Disclamer : I am highly unsure if regular insurance without battery cover add-on will cover the hybrid batteries in event of accidental repairs or not. Need inputs from fellow hybrid owners, especially the Camry ones who are longest on our roads.
superbhikari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 19:09   #1715
BHPian

Question to all Innova Hycross owners who got thier car before April and hence without e20 compatibility, today I was filling petrol in a rural area and saw both options were available normal and e20 petrol.

I knew that my car is not compatible with e20 so I said to fill regular fuel only but if due to carelessness or if someone without proper knowledge about which fuel type to fill by mistake fills e20 maybe once or twice then I wonder what will be the effects and damages to the engine and fuel system?

Now I have seen many fuel stations have e20 and regular petrol side by side and it's just puts pressure and doubt in regards to inform everyone who will be driving that they should not fill e20 fuel.

I think toyota should have launched hycross with e20 compatibility from the beginning itself, owners who got thier car before April feel like left out in this case.

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th June 2023 at 11:58. Reason: Punctuation, spacing and caps.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 23:27   #1716
BHPian

Expected to get delivery in about 15 days.

The only thing holding me back is the lack of an NCAP rating.

Monthly use will be approx 3000 kms chauffeur driven and safety is as important as comfort if not more.

The XUV700 in comparison has a 5 star rating.

Most of the time back seat will also used on the highways and the Hycross scores much better there.

Can anyone help me get over this confusion?? Should i wait for an NCAP rating / get the XUV700 / just get the hycross ?

There are other cars at home for self drive
Old 31st May 2023, 00:02   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
I knew that my car is not compatible with e20 so i said to fill regular fuel only but if due to carelessness or if someone without proper knowledge about which fuel type to fill by mistake fills e20 maybe once or twice then i wonder what will be the effects and damages to the engine and fuel system?
Filling e20 occasionally shall not have any adverse effect other than a slight drop in fuel economy when using the e20.

Its only regular, sustained use that can cause effects on the rubber parts etc because of persistent presence of ethanol over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
Can anyone help me get over this confusion? Should i wait for an NCAP rating / get the XUV700 / just get the hycross?
There are other cars at home for self drive
3000km/month running is a good amount of running. You’re considering the Hybrid variant of the Hycross, right?

I believe that Innova is a reasonably solid car, despite the lack of NCAP rating data.

Moreover, NCAP rating is just a measure of safety related performance in a crash test under some pre determined criteria. Real world situations are a lot different. So if a car is seemingly of decent built, go for it.

Would have recommended the XUV7OO if the NCAP rating of Hycross was known to be low or if the build was seemingly (subjective perception) poor.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 09:55   #1718
BHPian

Got delivery of my Hycross Attitude Black ZX(O).
Enough people have reviewed and given their experience of their new acquisitions, so just adding my points.

In one word - fabulous car. Solid build, strong, heavy doors, does feel the solidity overall. Very spacious, no competition here.

Great fuel economy in Eco mode, hybrid is outstanding. I did get 18.6 kmpl from Bangalore to Calicut, and overall came to about 17.6 over a 1400km drive, with quite some distance covered in triple digits, where we hear continuous beeps. The smoothness of the power delivery is unbelievable, even with rapid switching between petrol, electric and combined.

In Eco mode, I did feel a lag, so just switch to normal or power mode, and it just takes off with a roar. One of the fastest for sure, and I did see a review where Hycross was almost 1 sec faster in 0-100 timings compared to pretty much anything around this segment.

Audio quality is also quite good (not professional grade home theatre level), we can adjust the equaliser for the best settings for the songs.

Interiors are not the best, and plastics are a bit of let down, but everything else compensates for this. It should easily last, just that the plastics it gets dirty too soon.

Suspension and handling was great, though some shocks get through to cabin on bad roads or rumble strips. I installed the Car Stabilizer Pro suspension rings, and it simply smoothens out almost everything on its way. Rumble strips are hardly felt now, and the noise is also muffled.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-showroom.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-night.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-mileage.jpg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st May 2023 at 13:25. Reason: typo
samm is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2023, 10:25   #1719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But in case of accidental impact, insurance might not cover the Hybrid batteries unless the battery cover add-on is added, as per the dealer.
Quote:
I have not seen such cover on online policies yet. Insurance through Toyota platform/dealers are offering this add-on for now for sure.

Disclamer : I am highly unsure if regular insurance without battery cover add-on will cover the hybrid batteries in event of accidental repairs or not.

Wrong, all batteries are covered under Insurance including Hybrid/ Mild-Hybrid/ EV.

Depreciation will be treated as per your policy, so very important to take Zero-Dep. policy else 50% can be deducted even on a new car.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:40   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Got delivery of my Hycross Attitude Black ZX(O).
Enough people have reviewed and given their experience of their new acquisitions, so just adding my points.

In one word - fabulous car. Solid build, strong, heavy doors, does feel the solidity overall. Very spacious, no competition here.
Congrats, it looks great. Love the subtle accessories you have selected like the front underrun without going for the tacky chrome treatment on the hood and grill.

Quote:
Suspension and handling was great, though some shocks get through to cabin on bad roads or rubble strips. I installed the Car Stabilizer Pro suspension rings, and it simply smoothens out almost everything on its way. Rubble strips are hardly felt now, and the noise is also muffled.
Think about it logically, how would this even work? Jamming a piece of plastic between the springs just means that it won't compress as much, meaning the ride will be stiffer. Yes, it might increase ground clearance but only because the spring can't actually compress and expand as it is designed to. A stiffer suspension can increase handling but jamming something between the stock suspension is not the proper way to do it. A stiffer suspension also means ride quality will go for a toss. You can't have your cake and eat it too despite what this snake oil product claims.

You just spent almost 40L on a brand new car. Your suspension warranty is now void. Don't you think if this magic piece of cheap plastic could actually do what it claims, atleast one manufacturer would already include it in their suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Wrong, all batteries are covered under Insurance including Hybrid/ Mild-Hybrid/ EV.

Depreciation will be treated as per your policy, so very important to take Zero-Dep. policy else 50% can be deducted even on a new car.
I spent some time arguing with their insurance rep when I bought the car about this same point. Asked him how the battery won't be covered under zero dep if something happens to it in an accident. He said that if the damage is apparent in an accident, then it will of course be replaced under any policy but since the battery is located under the front seats, actual physical damage to it is probably not going to happen in a collision where the car isn't totalled. In case of any complications arising later on with the battery after the rest of the car is repaired, then this clause comes in handy.

Still not sure if he just pulled a fast one over me but their quote was decent compared to what others here got from their dealers so I just let it be.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 15:07   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Congrats, it looks great. Love the subtle accessories you have selected like the front underrun without going for the tacky chrome treatment on the hood and grill.

Think about it logically, how would this even work? Jamming a piece of plastic between the springs just means that it won't compress as much, meaning the ride will be stiffer. Yes, it might increase ground clearance but only because the spring can't actually compress and expand as it is designed to. A stiffer suspension can increase handling but jamming something between the stock suspension is not the proper way to do it. A stiffer suspension also means ride quality will go for a toss. You can't have your cake and eat it too despite what this snake oil product claims.

You just spent almost 40L on a brand new car. Your suspension warranty is now void. Don't you think if this magic piece of cheap plastic could actually do what it claims, atleast one manufacturer would already include it in their suspension?

Thanks, @Cresterk!

I did think a lot on how it works. Need to apply some my old mechanical engineering theories to figure this out.
It has a 30 day return policy as well, with full refund if we didnt like it.

Surprisingly, it works quite well, and we immediately feel it. Do give a try if you get a chance. I'm still not able to fully understand how it works though.

I did talk to showroom guys, they didn't have any problem with this, as its removable easily. I gave it for first service with this rubber on.

I dont think manufacturers will include any loose piece of stuff with limited life anyways. I don't expect it to last more than 5-6 years at max.
Old 31st May 2023, 16:59   #1722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Thanks, @Cresterk!
Well such kind of suspension buffers have been around for a long time and earlier there was a company called "RogerAb" which used to make it and sell them in India.
The benefit of these buffers was only for cars like the Hyundai Verna and the Honda City (previous gen) and the Honda Civic , which would bottom out very easily when loaded. The jugaad that these guys developed is to stuff a piece of TPU between the coils. In engineering terms if you reduce the movement or action of one of the coils in a spring, it makes it stiffer and also reduces the travel of the spring.
In my view , unless the suspension of the car is overly soft, I would not recommend this option at all.
Also inserting this rubber piece will also affect the driving dynamics, braking and stability of the car.
It can cause uneven tyre wear and even possibly cause an accident. Imagine you are going at a high speed and one of the rubbers fails and falls out. Your suspension will become completely unbalanced and the car will start to veer off and in case of sudden braking, may even flip.
So my suggestion is to please avoid these buffers.

Last edited by Behemoth : 31st May 2023 at 17:01.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 17:30   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well such kind of suspension buffers have been around for a long time and earlier there was a company called "RogerAb" which used to make it and sell them in India.
RogerAb is still there, the issue I heard is that their rubber becomes hard faster than Stabilizer Pro.

Another thing is, they will be getting ICAT certification soon, then it can be sold officially by OEMs. Any idea how this certification works for accessories?

Will do more research on this for the next 25 days, and decide. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 31st May 2023, 17:46   #1724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
He said that if the damage is apparent in an accident, then it will of course be replaced under any policy but since the battery is located under the front seats, actual physical damage to it is probably not going to happen in a collision where the car isn't totalled. In case of any complications arising later on with the battery after the rest of the car is repaired, then this clause comes in handy.
If the add-on difference is nominal and someone is paranoid, it's ok to add, but there is no need. Visible damage will be covered under Insurance and non-visible has to be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If any internal damage is not visible, the final say will be on the manufacturer to say so, and Insurance has to agree with it. Maybe tricky with small-time online players who use every opportunity, but reputed ones will honour.

Besides, I have seen how service centres handle such claims; they will break something and only then call the surveyor
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:00   #1725
BHPian

As I was new to hybrids and was fascinated by different sounds produced by my hycross hybrid both while driving and on stationery. I tried to look into the user manual for more details and found this interesting section:
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20230531183522_toyota-iconnect.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st May 2023 at 19:06. Reason: i —> I; punctuation.
manofinfinity is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks