Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2023, 11:33   #1786

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Hi,

I am expecting allocation of ZX(O) - Alegha Black soon.
====
Or possibly, having a sticker is sufficient to validate e20 compliance?

Thanks.
All the best for your allocation.
The manual also mentions compliance on the cars that have the E20 sticker.
Old 12th June 2023, 15:32   #1787

Its been more than 3 months since i am driving my Hycross. Completed around 3000 kms. One of the irritating thing that i observed is quality of FM signal reception in this car. My friend’s car seems to have better reception on FM channels. Is it because of Antenna quality or Speaker quality . Has anyone observed this? Or is this specific to Hyderabad? Please if some owner is from hyderabad, please share your observations as well.

Last edited by graaja : 12th June 2023 at 15:35. Reason: Typo and punctuation
Old 12th June 2023, 15:54   #1788
BHPian

I purchased a Non Hybrid HyCross on April 17th and drove all the way to Ladakh and back to Bangalore in about 21 days and covered 9000 kms. Really loved the vehicle. Be it the handling, the power or the efficiency.The car didnt skip a beat in either minus 10 degress (Pangoing) or at 46 degrees at Amritsar. I was able to extract about 13 - 14 kmpl on the whole trip.
Bangalore-Poona-Kevadia-Jaipur-Kullu-Srinagar-ZozillaPass-Leh-Khardungla-Nubra-Pangong-Changla-Leh-Srinagar-Amritsar-Vrindavan-Gwalior-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Bangalore
Did the first service, only Engine Oil changed and Tyre rotation and alignment with a good wash!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20230510_150443.jpg  

Last edited by raghuram.cg : 12th June 2023 at 15:56. Reason: incomplete sentence
raghuram.cg is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 16:48   #1789

Well, the kids seem to be having it all. Upgraded the cars they are driven 3 times. First it was the Kwid, then the TUV300 and now it's an 8-seater automatic diesel Innova Crysta that is doing the heavy lifting. We just completed a 3000 km trip from Gujarat to Uttarakhand (upto Kedarnath and back). Loved the engine.

With the normal run of the Innova being to the school or one of the activity locations, I am now thinking of upgrading from the Crysta to the Hycross Hybrid. The upgrade is mostly for the efficiency in city traffic.

But there are a couple of things i am concerned about. First is the torque of the Crysta, which is a whopping 360Nm over a broad range. That I think is one of the finest things (apart from the lovely ride quality) that the Crysta has to offer. The Hycross Hybrid being a petrol first engine offers a shade over 200Nm torque. So, here's my first question from avid Hycross drivers (and preferably, those who have earlier driven the Crysta):
Does the Hycross feel under torqued?

Question 2: Well, how can one live without the most important question, I wish I could write it in Hindi. What's the mileage of the Hycross? In normal city driving?
sedatecruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 18:44   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedatecruiser View Post

Question 2: What's the mileage of the Hycross? In normal city driving?
No, The Hycross won't ever feel under torqued for everyday city traffic or for any matter at all unless you're trying to climb a super muddy mountain uphill where the RWD and diesel torque would help it get traction and move on. Infact I'm sure the Hycross will be faster off the line and will beat the crysta in a drag race.

The mileage of the Hycross varies. This topic have been discussed here multiple times but I'll say my pov on it. It's a hybrid so we have to adapt and change our driving style for it to run efficient. I do not own one personally but I drive my friend's ZXO every now and then. That specific car never got below 16kmpl according to the MID and from the owner's claim, he have gotten up to 22 on mixed conditions. We literally replaced our go-to diesel nexon MT which gives 22+kmpl with the hycross for all kinds of small transport just because of the sheer comfort, luxury and how roomy the cabin is along with the commanding seating positions and road presence.

Also, chances for you to getting your hands on one within a year is next to nothing as the waiting period is going up to 24 months. Within that time frame, I am sure there will be better competitors to compare it with. Maruti Suzuki Engage could be an option if you're seriously looking for this specific car. I have booked with 4 different dealerships inside Kerala and no news on an ETA yet, the SA just keeps telling a year maximum. I will also be booking the engage and whatever comes first, I'll take that as I liked being in one. You can definitely feel night and day difference in terms of comfort when comparing to a crysta.
hAwX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 06:39   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the kids seem to be having it all. Upgraded the cars they are driven 3 times. First it was the Kwid, then the TUV300 and now it's an 8-seater automatic diesel Innova Crysta that is doing the heavy lifting. We just completed a 3000 km trip from Gujarat to Uttarakhand (upto Kedarnath and back). Loved the engine.

With the normal run of the Innova being to the school or one of the activity locations, I am now thinking of upgrading from the Crysta to the Hycross Hybrid. The upgrade is mostly for the efficiency in city traffic.

But there are a couple of things i am concerned about. First is the torque of the Crysta, which is a whopping 360Nm over a broad range. That I think is one of the finest things (apart from the lovely ride quality) that the Crysta has to offer. The Hycross Hybrid being a petrol first engine offers a shade over 200Nm torque. So, here's my first question from avid Hycross drivers (and preferably, those who have earlier driven the Crysta):

Question 2: Well, how can one live without the most important question, I wish I could write it in Hindi. What's the mileage of the Hycross? In normal city driving?
As regards under torqued i really can't answer as not much of a speed/racing dan.

As regards mileage, in my mixed driving of approx 50 km daily (to and fro) in Delhi NCR
consisting of 20km expressway and 30 km bumper to bumper traffic, i get between 20-22 in normal/eco mode. I hardly use power mode in NCR.
Abhijeetsinha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 13:10   #1792
BHPian

Quote:

In power mode, the car pushes its weight! I never felt the need for anything more. But, I have never used a car with more torque, so my view could be restricted.

On longer drives, I get around 20km/l. In regular city drives with waiting with the engine on, this drops to around 13-15. Also, take this with a grain of salt as I have driven it only 400 kms.
ashwinikalantri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 13:11   #1793
BHPian

I bought a Hycross VX Hybrid and have been having trouble with the CARPLAY since the very first day. It is a wired Carplay and it frequently disconnects and I have to unplug, wait a few seconds and plug it back again.

This is a pain whilst driving. The Toyota workshop folks seem to be drawing a blank.

Has anyone else experienced this on their vehicle? Any resolutions?
duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 15:28   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
I bought a Hycross VX Hybrid and have been having trouble with the CARPLAY since the very first day. It is a wired Carplay and it frequently disconnects and I have to unplug, wait a few seconds and plug it back again.

This is a pain whilst driving. The Toyota workshop folks seem to be drawing a blank.

Same here. From the day one, I had faced the same problem.
Now it got resolved using a better cable. It is basically the problem with the cable we use.
Got the new one (better one ) from Amazon. - Duracell USB To Lightning Apple Certified (Mfi) Braided Sync & Charge Cable For Iphone

Last edited by pradeepkm : 13th June 2023 at 15:29.
Old 13th June 2023, 20:46   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitjain View Post
3. Car play disconnects often but continues to charge
Car play disconnects. This is a huge problem particularly of one is using Google maps. Also noticed it disconnects immediately after receiving or making a call. When I mentioned this to Toyota, the guy asked me to use original Apple cable. Did not help!! Also the iphone 14 is a C type pin while the Carplay cable is a USB. So, one has to use a non apple connecter pin. I tried that too with no success. Anyone experiencing similar issues? It is frustrating.
Other aspects are amazing in this car. I sold my GV Hyryder within a month of purchase and was lucky to get my Hycross VX version with a week of booking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
- Driver dashboard showed ‘Traction battery needs to be protected’ while the car was in neutral for some time. As I did not have the app, I couldn’t check the manual on what this meant. On google it says we should not keep the hybrid car in neutral as it drains the traction battery (hybrid battery).

So my question is, should I put the gear in P whenever I am at a signal or say somewhere where I beed the car running? Wouldn’t the car use the battery even in P mode?
I read somewhere here to not move to N in signals. Battery does not charge. Best is to keep it in D and hold the brakes or use HOLD option.
I have been consistently doing that and face no problem.

On the Apple wired carplay

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th June 2023 at 21:05. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
Libran10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 20:58   #1796
BHPian

[quote=duke;5565680]I bought a Hycross VX Hybrid and have been having trouble with the CARPLAY since the very first day. /QUOTE]

I had this issue with my Nexon. I got the ports replaced under warranty and even the main head unit twice after making a big fuzz at the service centre. Though it didn't seem to fix that issue.

Not to mention the chances of this to occur is super high if you're using a third party cable. Try with the OE Apple cable? You could request to replace the ports with your SA or if you really just want to fix it in no time, you could get a dongle preferably carlinkit 3.0 to get wireless CarPlay. I recommend anything from carlinkit. I use the carlinkit AI box which is an android box for my Nexon. It works flawlessly and we can even watch Netflix/YouTube on it which isn't possible with a normal wireless CarPlay dongle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libran10 View Post
Car play disconnects. This is a huge problem particularly of one is using Google maps. Also noticed it disconnects immediately after receiving or making a call. When I mentioned this to Toyota, the guy asked me to use original Apple cable
So now I am sure it is the cable. In my previous post I didn't think through one thing. It was never the ports as it works perfectly with my carlinkit. I assume that this is the case with any other vehicle. Have you tried an OE USB cable from Apple? Because after years of rant with TATA, they still recommend me the same i.e use the Apple cable. I got it fixed with an android box to get wireless CarPlay which only costed me around 15k as I bought it from Canada through my brother. For this price range one could possible get a whole Android head unit, I didn't go that route as I couldn't compromise the OEM look and Harman Sound tuning.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2023 at 14:09. Reason: back to back posts mereged. Trimmed Quoted post.
hAwX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 22:14   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post

Check your cable. I have been using wireless and wired CarPlay without issues. Do not use usb C to usb A adaptors, they are unreliable.

Last edited by ashwinikalantri : 13th June 2023 at 22:17.
Old 13th June 2023, 22:29   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAwX View Post
I had this issue with my Nexon. I got the ports replaced under warranty and even the main head unit twice after making a big fuzz at the service centre. Though it didn't seem to fix that issue.

Not to mention the chances of this to occur is super high if you're using a third party cable. Try with the OE Apple cable? You could request to replace the ports with your SA or if you really just want to fix it in no time, you could get a dongle preferably carlinkit 3.0 to get wireless CarPlay. I recommend anything from carlinkit. I use the carlinkit AI box which is an android box for my Nexon. It works flawlessly and we can even watch Netflix/YouTube on it which isn't possible with a normal wireless CarPlay dongle.
What’s the difference between carlinkit 3.0 and the AI box? Or if you could point me in the right direction
Old 13th June 2023, 22:53   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
What’s the difference between carlinkit 3.0 and the AI box? Or if you could point me in the right direction
The carlinkit 3.0 is just an extra dongle to get wireless carplay and nothing else. Meanwhile android box is like an extra unit with 32gb internal storage, 3 gb ram, Sim card slot for 4G cellular or you can connect to a wifi network/hotspot in the specific product i linked so you don't need to pair and connect your phone to use maps or play music (will still need to connect to the hotspot though). With the android box, it transforms the user interface and you will get a tablet like experience with added functionality of apps like Youtube, Netflix, TikTok, Disney+ etc.

Refer this video to get the idea. I play my songs mostly from YouTube so I thought it will be a good buy for me personally.
Also if by chance any of the pre-installed apps update, the video streaming apps will stop working due to safety norms. It's never recommended to watch videos while driving anyway

And here's a video on carlinkit 5.0 which is just for seamless and fast wireless carplay.

hAwX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:37   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Wireless apple CarPlay suddenly stopped working and disconnected. The airplay icon on the music screen appeared greyed out.
- Driver dashboard showed ‘Traction battery needs to be protected’ while the car was in neutral for some time. As I did not have the app, I couldn’t check the manual on what this meant. On google it says we should not keep the hybrid car in neutral as it drains the traction battery (hybrid battery).

So my question is, should I put the gear in P whenever I am at a signal or say somewhere where I beed the car running? Wouldn’t the car use the battery even in P mode?
There is no actual neutral for toyota hybrids where the transmission is disconnected from the wheels or the engine. What putting it in neutral does is turn both motors generators off so you can push it onto a flatbed etc for recovery purposes. Naturally this means that the engine won't be able to charge the battery.

When stopping, either hold down the brakes in D or use the hold feature to keep the car still with your feet free. Putting it in neutral isn't a good idea anyway since the car could roll if there is a slight incline. This is best for stoplights.

If you can stop in neutral for so long that your battery drains, then you can definitely be in P. Your car can recharge in P without issue since Motor-generator 1 will be free to run when the engine turns on automatically.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks