Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 17:27   #841
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review

All that you disappointed folks need is a Pete's box coupled with the new Cruze.
Old 14th July 2012, 11:25   #842
BHPian

hello,
I have a small problem or a niggle. I dont know if I can call it that. Thought I'll share it and see if any of you have faced a similar issue. If so please guide me to the next course of action. I have a LTZ MT variant with 6300kms on odo in 3 and a half months.
When I slowly accelerate in gear from say from around 900 rpm, the feel on the accelerator pedal is smooth till 1.1k rpm. from 1.1 to around 1.3 or so there is a gruff noise from the engine and the accelerator pedal transmits more vibration than normal. After 1.3 its normal again. Mind you the vibration felt and sound heard is just keen observation and is not critical or overtly excessive. Passengers or other people who have driven have observed nothing.
Any idea whats going on??

Last edited by rangakishen : 14th July 2012 at 11:27.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:05   #843
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
When I slowly accelerate in gear from say from around 900 rpm, the feel on the accelerator pedal is smooth till 1.1k rpm. from 1.1 to around 1.3 or so there is a gruff noise from the engine and the accelerator pedal transmits more vibration than normal. After 1.3 its normal again. Mind you the vibration felt and sound heard is just keen observation and is not critical or overtly excessive. Passengers or other people who have driven have observed nothing.
It could be resonance. Each engine resonates at a certain rpm, and this might just be the rpm for the Cruze.
Old 14th July 2012, 19:25   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It could be resonance. Each engine resonates at a certain rpm, and this might just be the rpm for the Cruze.
But this thing has come up recently. Only from past 1 week or so.
Old 14th July 2012, 20:08   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen
hello,
I have a small problem or a niggle. I dont know if I can call it that. Thought I'll share it and see if any of you have faced a similar issue. If so please guide me to the next course of action. I have a LTZ MT variant with 6300kms on odo in 3 and a half months.
Modern Common Rail Diesel engines have drive by wire accelerator, meaning it is not physically connected to the engine like brake pedal and clutch pedal. So the vibration you feel in the pedal might be present in other parts of cars as well.

A harsh judder accompanied by vibrations before turbo spool up in Hyundai CRDI engines is caused by scratched/damaged flywheel.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 20:13   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Modern Common Rail Diesel engines have drive by wire accelerator, meaning it is not physically connected to the engine like brake pedal and clutch pedal. So the vibration you feel in the pedal might be present in other parts of cars as well.

A harsh judder accompanied by vibrations before turbo spool up in Hyundai CRDI engines is caused by scratched/damaged flywheel.
You are right it is felt in other parts but just ever so mildly. What further course of action do you suggest. The Chevy *** in bangalore aren't that skilled. Is it worth asking them to open up the engine to check for a damaged fly wheel?
Old 14th July 2012, 20:39   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
You are right it is felt in other parts but just ever so mildly. What further course of action do you suggest. The Chevy *** in bangalore aren't that skilled. Is it worth asking them to open up the engine to check for a damaged fly wheel?
First make sure there is a problem by driving the car back to back with another car of same make. What do the service station guys say about this problem? A flywheel problem with such a low mileage is unlikely.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:15   #848
BHPian

Dad is planning to buy a '11 manufactured Cruze LTZ AT. It is a GGN registered car on the company's name, hence if dad buys it, he won't be the second owner. The price is 12.5l and the car has run 12k kms. Could someone tell me what is the estimated maintenance cost for a Cruze and if this is a good deal or not. Also, is the AT as much fun to drive as the MT?

Last edited by prateekm : 16th July 2012 at 21:18.
Old 16th July 2012, 23:22   #849
BHPian

AT is not as much fun as an MT.

Not sure about the going rates in GGN, but it is way cheaper than what you will find in Chennai. Good deal, grab it once you have checked for accident history.
Old 16th July 2012, 23:30   #850
BHPian

It does not have an accident history, it's being sold since the person is joining another company. Anyway, reading out a couple of pages in this thread, the only problem I could note is the brake pad change every 18-20k kms. Anybody here who has gone for aftermarket brake pads of other reputed companies?
Old 17th July 2012, 11:15   #851

Waiting for my new 166PS Cruze LTZ MT to get delivered. Will be posting the first impression in about 10 days time. My friend got the new model last week, i will request him also to write his first impressions about the car.
deusex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 14:05   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Dad is planning to buy a '11 manufactured Cruze LTZ AT. It is a GGN registered car on the company's name, hence if dad buys it, he won't be the second owner. The price is 12.5l and the car has run 12k kms. Could someone tell me what is the estimated maintenance cost for a Cruze and if this is a good deal or not. Also, is the AT as much fun to drive as the MT?
Thats a wonderful deal if your confident there is no dark secrets. Its common knowledge that manuals are mostly more fun than AT's besides being faster to the ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusex View Post
Waiting for my new 166PS Cruze LTZ MT to get delivered. Will be posting the first impression in about 10 days time. My friend got the new model last week, i will request him also to write his first impressions about the car.
That would be nice if you can start a ownership thread with your detailed impression of the new Cruze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
the only problem I could note is the brake pad change every 18-20k kms. Anybody here who has gone for aftermarket brake pads of other reputed companies?
My Cruze is still on original OEM brakepads with current Odo reading of 29,000kms

On the forum, Tushar Sethi is the only member who has changed his Cruze with an aftermarket brake pads and had reported after 5000kms there is not much difference from OEM and seems to be happy with it.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:12   #853

The initial impressions from my friend. I apologize for no pictures at this time. Will post a detailed review in a new thread.

New Cruze LTZ MT 166PS
Color: Sand Drift Grey
Tyres : Changed from the stock JK Vectra(this is real insult to the car) to Yokohama DNA db501 225/55/16 94V

Last year in December we decided to take a test drive of the Cruze as i was thinking of changing the car. I have been driving a Baleno Vxi before.

The test drive was every bit as written in the review.
The most important person in deciding anything the Home Minister was not to excited especially with the turbo lag. She is the one who drives the car daily to office in traffic. Another annoying factor not a single cup holder!!!
Then in January Chevrolet went ahead and displayed the new model at Delhi expo. So we decided to wait. I was not too interested in the cosmetic changes but the new Engine.

Did read quite a bit about the new engine before the launch of the car.

Went ahead and booked the car as soon as it was launched. Must say i was little disappointed after reading the Autocar review about the new engine compared to the older engine.
So here is the Owner's view about the new engine. Please do keep in mind i have the car for only last four days and have driven about 250 kms. Mostly in peak office traffic at Bangalore. Yes i did get two runs on NICE road between Electronic city and the Bannerghatta Road.

All the "What you will like" in the car is maintained as it is with some additions.

From "What you won't:"

- Significant Turbo-lag (annoying in bumper-to-bumper traffic): You would not even feel any Turbo-lag. It simply runs like a petrol engine and yes with a lot of pull.
- Interior space not class leading. Cosy for the C+ segment : Space seems to have improved on the back seat not too sure how much or if its only my perception but it does feel little more comfortable from the older model.
- Interior fit & finish have rough edges : I personally did not like the plastic part used on the steering wheel but it's Ok.
- Firm ride at low speeds : Ride quality is very good, feels very smooth.
- Aggressive clutch pedal (return action) : Had noticed this in the older version during test drive but did not feel anything with the new model. Yes the clutch is a bit hard but it may be because the car is very new. it is getting smoother after 4 days of driving or may be i am getting used to it!!!

Coming to the fun part of Cruze which has been in question and people worried about it, Be assured it has not lost any bit of it.
In fact it has now turned into one of the really all purpose cars. Your family can very easily drive it without feeling any turbo-lag with a very good linear acceleration.
It's so refined now that it will not even hit the turbo RPM if you just drive normally. I drove the car at 30 km/h in 4 gear and it did not complain. If you want to enjoy a bit just press the pedal and see yourself zoom away.

I did little bit of spirited driving on an empty stretch of road to check both the car and the tyre. Tyre because i read on the forum some concerns about the wet grip.(it had rained a bit so the road was wet)
Both worked wonderfully. The car is real fun on the Highway, i was really surprised with the ease it clocked 160+ did not measure the time but just felt like blink of an eye. The RPM meter was not even in Turbo range. Engine is very silent as if its not there. At idle you do know it's a diesel engine. Pressed the pedal and zoom it responded as if it was on 60 Km/h.

Few other points

Proper cup Holders
Dead pedal available now
If you stall the car press the start with clutch and it starts again.

Will write a complete owner's review in a new thread.
deusex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 16:28   #854
BHPian

Today took a test drive of new Cruze.Liked the lighter clutch action plus the refinement inside(better than the Laura i had tested few days back).Electric seat adjustment was cool though being a single driver driven it doesn't matter much.power was adequate accelerated smartly and braked well.waiting for a detailed Team bhp review because trust them more than any automags review.
drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 01:33   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Skoda Laura 2.0 PD (A/T) - 11.05 Secs

CHEVROLET CRUZE - 9.64 Secs
Skoda Laura 2.0 L TDi has a 140bhp Diesel with 320 Nm torque and does a 0-100kmph in only 8.7 seconds.

The figures quoted above is for the PD engine , which on being tuned can generate 130hp and 310Nm torque and be at par with the stock Cruze.

Skoda Laura in India, Skoda Laura road test, Skoda Laura price in India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks