Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 00:18   #391
BHPian

Saw a silver colored one in Maruthi Nagar today. A brand new one, possibly had been just driven from the showroom - with the ribbon, etc.
So deliveries have indeed started.

First impression - doesn't have a road presence (read head-turner) like the Punto or the Polo. The only thing was - "Wow! The first Micra that I have seen on the road".

Looked big (bigger than the photos) and seemed to have a quieter engine compared to the Polo petrol.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 26th July 2010 at 00:22.
Old 26th July 2010, 00:29   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Saw a silver colored one in Maruthi Nagar today. A brand new one, possibly had been just driven from the showroom - with the ribbon, etc.
So deliveries have indeed started.

First impression - doesn't have a road presence (read head-turner) like the Punto or the Polo. The only thing was - "Wow! The first Micra that I have seen on the road".

Looked big (bigger than the photos) and seemed to have a quieter engine compared to the Polo petrol.
Dude! Pls be real!

What do you expect! If Polo or Punto sell well enough, expect them to be common place too.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th July 2010 at 03:50. Reason: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English, thanks
Old 26th July 2010, 00:44   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Dude! Pls be real!

What do you expect! If Polo or Punto sell well enough, expect them to be common place too.
I understand what you are alluding to. But again, I am not talking from the point of view of number of cars seen on the roads.
Believe me, I see quite a number of Puntos daily (at my residence parking, on the road, in the office parking) - yes Polos are rarer, but I have not yet grown tired of the Punto. Same with the Swift - I see lots of them daily, but I still like it.

As folks say - "Looks are subjective".

Who knows, after I TD the Micra, I might just fall for it - you never know
Old 26th July 2010, 00:49   #394
h.k
BHPian

nissan offers micra at a great value for money pack, and as per the reports it gives you a average of upto 17kmpl on highways and thats a decent average,
Old 26th July 2010, 08:22   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very interesting to hear your views of the Micra. You have set out to be objective, and succeeded, but I'm guessing you still prefer the Polo?
We are looking out for a car, for my close friend & Neighbor. Since I have a Polo with me, we are looking for a different car this time. Simply because, we can together own 2 different cars. We have done the same in our past also. Micra was our first choice, since it is a new launch by a Japanese company.

Highest variant of Micra costs - 6.4L OTR & Polo petrol Highline costs - 7.1L OTR. Comparing both the cars - I would any day pay 70 K more for a Polo. i10's rear seat was lot more comfortable then that of Micra. But i10 also does not have a split seat.

My friend has been using a Santro Zing from the past 10 years. Yesterday we took a TD of Micra, i10 (By chance) & Fabia. We (with my friend) are yet to look at Figo, i20, Beat & Punto, before we take a decision. Micra could have been an easier decision to take.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 26th July 2010 at 08:28.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:40   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is only my opinion - no offense please.
  1. Swift 1.2L Petrol Engine
  2. Polo 1.2L Petrol Engine, Kappa
  3. Micra & Beat
This is only in comparison. No.3 position does not mean that it is inadequate. no.1 position does not mean that it is miles ahead of the other two. Common commuter's purpose can be served, by any of these engines. Driving comfort related to engine drivibility is very good with Swift 1.2L Engine.

IMHO, none of the present day cars, has got a totally inadequate engine.

In Micra, Rear seat comfort can be a deal breaker. That is the only weakness. Every thing else is good. Looks are subjective - I am not a fan of funky looks.
Have you driven all the cars enough to comment? The car and engine together matters. FOr example, the I10 with the Kappa engine feels quick but the same engine in the bigger I20 feels sluggish.
Your ranking is correct with respect to low rpm response. But the Micra with its lighter weight will be faster than the Polo and the I20. Depends on individual preference - low ripm respone or outright performance! The Micra is actually pretty fast after 2000-2500 rpm and pulls strongly till 6000-6500 rpm. Also, the refinement is better. Checkout the detailed hatchback comparo in the latest Autocar issue!

Quote:
Positives:
  • Keyless operations
  • Driver air bags in all variants
  • Good ride (could not guage the handing, since I drove the car for only 3 Kms).
  • Fairly good interior fit and finish (next to Polo, Fabia & i20)
  • Electrically Retractable EORVM
  • Good feel of the gear shift (slightly long through) and soft clutch with short range.
  • Fairly good breaks
  • Refined engine with good NVH
  • Avg engine power - enough for normal commuters
  • Climate control
  • Good feel of the door closure
  • Good leg room - both front and rear.
  • Boot space is adequate
Negatives:
  • Rear split seat
  • Rear seat head rest
  • Rear seat comfort is below average - No thigh support at all. Depth of the seat is reduced to provide for more leg room.
  • No storage space in the rear doors. Front door storage space is also limited. Mainly for the bottle holders.
  • Alloy wheels are not part of the highest end also.
Agree here on most points except a few -
The interior part quality and the fit/finish in Micra is among the best in the segment if not the best! (better than I20 for sure).

Agree about the rear seat under-thigh support - its a pain point for sure. For people where the rear seat is going to be occupied most of the times and especially for long journeys, it might be a serious issue!

Quote:
Highest variant of Micra costs - 6.4L OTR & Polo petrol Highline costs - 7.1L OTR. Comparing both the cars - I would any day pay 70 K more for a Polo.

I look at the car as a whole. For me - Safety, Ride & Handling, Breaking ability & Body roll, Seating comfort, Boot space, AC effect, Built quality, Fit & finish, Ground clearance - are all important & not just the engine. Extra features comes at the last.
Looking at your parameters, I am not sure why would you pay 70K extra for the Polo. I did not find any difference in the build quality/fit and finsh/safety, AC(micra better) .
Polo scores better in Boot space and rear seat comfort, whereas Micra is better in legroom and headroom, and features.
As you know, I was considering both the cars - Polo and Micra - as these 2 are high quality products. What ruled out the Polo is the high price - 70K more with much less features ( I did not find it value for money) , 4-5 months waiting period and the poor attitude of the VW sales people. If both
cars would have been priced similar, it would have been a much tougher choice!
Old 26th July 2010, 11:28   #397
Senior - BHPian

My reply in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Have you driven all the cars enough to comment? The car and engine together matters. FOr example, the I10 with the Kappa engine feels quick but the same engine in the bigger I20 feels sluggish.
Your ranking is correct with respect to low rpm response. But the Micra with its lighter weight will be faster than the Polo and the I20. Depends on individual preference - low ripm respone or outright performance! The Micra is actually pretty fast after 2000-2500 rpm and pulls strongly till 6000-6500 rpm. Also, the refinement is better. Checkout the detailed hatchback comparo in the latest Autocar issue!

As I mentioned earlier, That is my opinion & yours might differ. These cars are driven in the city, most of the times. Observations on this forum are based on individual experiences and not based on Auto magazines.

Agree here on most points except a few -
The interior part quality and the fit/finish in Micra is among the best in the segment if not the best! (better than I20 for sure).

Agree about the rear seat under-thigh support - its a pain point for sure. For people where the rear seat is going to be occupied most of the times and especially for long journeys, it might be a serious issue!

It is not about long journeys here. Even for shorter journeys, rear seat is very uncomfortable - very basic. Not acceptable for a car in this segment.

When we go with the family for a TD, we as drivers of the car, will be concentrating more on the front seat and the engine. Ladies & the kids in the family will be more concerned about the back seat comfort. In my case, what I heard was a firm NO.

Looking at your parameters, I am not sure why would you pay 70K extra for the Polo. I did not find any difference in the build quality/fit and finsh/safety, AC(micra better) .
Polo scores better in Boot space and rear seat comfort, whereas Micra is better in legroom and headroom, and features.

Micra is no doubt a good car - But definitely can not be compared with Polo, in terms of Fit & Finish, attention to detailing, and also quality. Head room is practically not a problem with Polo. Leg room can be over-looked, depending on family members height. But seating comfort has to be good.

As you know, I was considering both the cars - Polo and Micra - as these 2 are high quality products. What ruled out the Polo is the high price - 70K more with much less features ( I did not find it value for money) , 4-5 months waiting period and the poor attitude of the VW sales people. If both
cars would have been priced similar, it would have been a much tougher choice!

You have made your choice based on your requirement. Be confident about it. My opinion will not make your decision bad.
Dear Adi - This is a open forum. People can & will have different opinions. Please do not think that it is your responsibility to answer every post, just because you have booked a Micra. That will over-stress you emotionally.

Today - No car in this market is good in all respects. Every car has it's own merits and demerits. We all take decisions based on our requirements. That is, WRT to our personal requirements.

This Forum is much more than - just about the car we own. Please make the best use of it.

I look forward to see a Micra - Ownership thread from you. With your enthusiasm, I am sure that you will be able to give a lot of insight on the car! All the best to you.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 26th July 2010 at 11:41.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:43   #398
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a Silver Micra in BTM layout today, I think it fails in looks department. It may look good in yellow or other bright colours. Rear looks bad and dated.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:53   #399

Quote:
You are being charged more for mud guards,exhaust finisher,mats etc. GO to Nissanmicra.co.in , click on the prices link and then you will find a car configurator page where you have the list of all accessories along with prices. Once you configure the car, take a printout and show the dealer - the prices quoted by the dealer should be more or less similar.
FYI - the hyderabad dealer seems to be charging the same amount as indicated in the website (except seat covers) and those prices are less than what mentioned by you!
Good luck and nice to hear that I will not be the only person in this forum with the Micra ..keep in touch and keep us posted.
Also, let me know the details of all charges. Did you get any details about the extended warranty and roadside assistance? When are you planning to book the car? And yes, NO FREEBIES for me too!
Thanks, adimicra. I'll check the website for the price list of accessories. Did not bother to revisit their webpage, as it took such a long time to load.

The sales guy did not have details of the extended warranty and roadside assistance with him yet. I will be receiving them in email soon, I'll share those details here.

I've not yet booked the car. Went for a TD with family. My wife is not impressed with the car except for the Keyless entry/go and Climate Control. We also TDed Figo over the weekend, and Figo seems to have made a better impression on family members due to its "big car feel" inside. I'm still undecided whether to go for Micra or Figo.

One note from the showroom visit. This time, all the cars on display are production models. But, all of the cars (across variants) have inconsistent panel gaps. Some gaps are so glaring that I couldn't believe that it passed quality control. Most of the gaps are noticed on the bonnet and hatch. The side panels are more or less OK, but not up there.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:19   #400
BHPian

My neighbour's white Micra XV was delivered on the 15th. It does look a lot better in flesh. Currently it is a case of neighbour's envy owner's pride.

I somehow just cant wait for the diesel launch. I am sure many have asked and i shall ask again when will the diesel be launched? And i want to plead with Nissan please launch an automatic transmission in the diesel from the word go.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:26   #401
Senior - BHPian

admicra, Polo is in the market for more than 5 months now. In this forum I have not heard a second opinion on the quality of this car. On the contrary there has been a lot of criticism on this thread itself on the panel gaps of Micra. How can you explain this? Also why did they miss crtical features like alloy wheels and back seat adjustable head restraints on even the high end model ? Is it n't this plain cost cutting? VW has not gone behind any gimmicks to sell Polo. But every one knows what is the USP of Micra. A totally uncool brand ambassador and a totally aweful feature as the selling point. People world over are well aware where to look when it come to engineering.
PS. I prefer Micra over i20 any day.

Last edited by poloman : 26th July 2010 at 19:38.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:41   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
admicra, Polo is in the market for more than 5 months now. In this forum I have not heard a second opinion on the quality of this car. On the contrary there has been a lot of criticism on this thread itself on the panel gaps of Micra. How can you explain this? Also why did they miss alloy wheels on even the high end model ? Is it n't this plain cost cutting? VW has not gone behind any gimmicks to sell Polo. But every one knows what is the USP of Micra. A totally uncool brand ambassador and a totally aweful feature as the selling point. People world over are well aware where to look when it come to engineering.
PS. I prefer Micra over i20 any day.
I did not start the Polo vs Micra comparo here, so do not blame me for that! Polo is a good quality and well built car, I have never commented anything against Polo's quality
Yes, I am worried about the panel gaps and will have a look myself again in the production model cars.
What is the totally awful feature? Really do not understand - the Ikey is a cool feature and works like a charm. Most of the fears related to it are due to misunderstanding!
Micra has not given alloy wheels but given lots of features, so no complaints! Is alloy wheel a critical feature? Alloy wheels are anyway provided as an option for interested ppl provided they have vitamin M

Last edited by adimicra : 26th July 2010 at 19:43.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:52   #403
Senior - BHPian

I don't find any problem in comparing the two cars. That is the purpose of threads like this to help the reader make informed choices.
I also liked ikey but that cannot be made the selling point of a car.People would have appreciated if Nissan had made driver airbag standard across all variants as a primary marketing feature.
Features like alloy wheels and headrests are not for people with money but adds immense value and safety to the occupants. If you know bit of electronics you will know features like ikey or ACC can be implemented at much less costs compared to mechanical parts like alloy wheels, spoilers,rear wipers etc(I am not saying Micra lacks all these).

Last edited by poloman : 26th July 2010 at 20:02.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:41   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I don't find any problem in comparing the two cars. That is the purpose of threads like this to help the reader make informed choices.
I also liked ikey but that cannot be made the selling point of a car.People would have appreciated if Nissan had made driver airbag standard across all variants as a primary marketing feature.
Features like alloy wheels and headrests are not for people with money but adds immense value and safety to the occupants. If you know bit of electronics you will know features like ikey or ACC can be implemented at much less costs compared to mechanical parts like alloy wheels, spoilers,rear wipers etc(I am not saying Micra lacks all these).
Poloman , Chetan and all my well-wishers, I am still concerned about the Micra about 2 issues -
1> Rear seat comfort - Since I do not sit behind, I do not care but my wife and kid often sits behind. So I have asked my wife to take the final call on whether the rear seat is good enough or not! If she says no, I have to think again!
2>Panel gaps - The panel gaps in the pre-production cars were uneven - I was hoping that these would have been corrected in the production model cars. If that's not the case, then again raises questions about the quality control.
Will have a relook soon and keep you guys posted!
Poloman, please pardon my knowledge of electronics but things like electric folding mirrors and adjustable mirrors also require motors to operate..right?
If they were that cheap, I wonder what stopped VW from providing those in the Polo. The truth is every manufacturer cuts costs - Nissan has done iit and so has VW (another glaring cost cutting - the audio does not have even an aux port).
Alloys can be fitted after purchase from outside easily for 15K odd and these are pretty good quality ones.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:53   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nissan has done iit and so has VW (another glaring cost cutting - the audio does not have even an aux port).
Alloys can be fitted after purchase from outside easily for 15K odd and these are pretty good quality ones.
I have not pardoned VW for this. USB on ICE is one feature I badly miss in Polo.Also I miss either remote or steering mounted controls. I am afraid the white markings on the ICE switches will fade with constant flicks.
I am not sure you will get good 15" alloys for that price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks