Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 08:46   #421
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Lets see, I will make up my mind soon enough! But do not want to spend 6.5lakhs on a car and be unhappy
Its better research again and TD other brands and take the final decision. Good Luck.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:05   #422
BHPian

Maybe the panel gaps arent really panel gaps due to poor quality control. Maybe its n their design. I remember seeing a black line on the hood even in the first sketch they released last year.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:06   #423
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Did anyone notice the video review that's been added to the 1st post of this thread . Thanks to friendly Mod Rehaan!

Do let us know what you think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is only my opinion - no offense please.
  1. Swift 1.2L Petrol Engine
  2. Polo 1.2L Petrol Engine, Kappa
  3. Micra & Beat
I completely agree with this list. The Polo engine is only lacking in refinement at idle, but on the move, its VERY peppy. The Polo 1.2 has good driveability too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I would like to see both these cars reviews here asap. Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Test Drives
Hi Wildon, Polo ownership reviews are currently being compiled (all owners have been PM'ed with request for submission). We need a solid number of ownership submissions (Review Linky) before a summary Test-Drive can be uploaded.

By the way, the Ford Figo was added last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Maybe the panel gaps arent really panel gaps due to poor quality control. Maybe its n their design.
Oh please, give me a break! Inconsistent panel gaps are a compromise of yesteryear. Even Tata mainly gets it right today. Equal shut-lines are the most basic of expectations from a modern car. It's got nothing to do with design.....all about quality control & an eye for perfection.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 10:10.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:20   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
adi, whatever observations that you had listed as 1,2 & 3 were similar to the ones expressed by people in the forum. But on the other hand, points 1 & 2 are deal breakers! 3 is fine! as they are just cosmetics.

1) Let us talk about the engine. If the engine isnt great, it doesnt make sense is buying the car! looks alone doesnt sell the car in your mind and heart. Try the KB series & Kappa engines! I am sure you would have a smile like the Vista Drive tech guy. From the BEAT thread, the engine seem to be much responsive after a ECU remap. So top model BEAT would also be in the list of cars to be considered.

2) Read Under thigh support is really important for long trips, you needto be comfortable in the car else you would either want to bike or take the autorickshaw everything ypu think of going out.

3) Pannel gaps being uneven is the least of your worry. If the first 2 are satisfactory then these cosmetics wouldnt bother you much. Look in case of punto!

Again, my observations doesnt warrant a straight forward cancellation micra's booking! but it is better to think before spending 6L on a car which you wouldn't be satisfied at the end of the day.
Your opinion is welcome but every car has some issue or the other.
The engine is adequate though not exciting and the rear thigh support is ok for us. But the panel gaps are glaring and do not speak highly of the quality. Uneven panel gaps can't be part of design and if this is part of the design, they should sack the designers!
I do not consider the Beat as it is small cramped and no boot space. Frankly its a class or segment below.
Swift and Ritz ruled out due to build quality etc
I20 ruled out due to poor Ac, bad steering and felt sluggish. The Kappa engine might be good and performs well in the I10 but in the I20, it struggles at higher speeds and runs out of breadth!
Figo ruled out due to bland design, cheap interiors, low power (worst power to weight ratio) and lack of some important features.
Lets see. May be I will post a query in the 'What car' thread?

Last edited by adimicra : 28th July 2010 at 10:22.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:29   #425
Senior - BHPian

Adi - Why dont you look at BEAT/VISTA D4/FIGO?
Old 28th July 2010, 10:33   #426
Senior - BHPian

adimicra, I think Polo 1.6 will be a good buy for you provided you can stretch your budget.

Last edited by poloman : 28th July 2010 at 10:34.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:02   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh please, give me a break! Inconsistent panel gaps are a compromise of yesteryear. Even Tata mainly gets it right today. Equal shut-lines are the most basic of expectations from a modern car. It's got nothing to do with design.....all about quality control & an eye for perfection.
Im not talking about inconsistent or tapering panel gaps. They are a strict no-no. Im talking about many comments which said they thought there was a bad-looking gap between the hood and bumper/grille. I said maybe thats design. Also, the pre-prod car's boot gap you had photographed was bad. i am talking about the sides and top, consistent gap, not this. hope its clear now
Old 28th July 2010, 11:40   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Im not talking about inconsistent or tapering panel gaps. They are a strict no-no. Im talking about many comments which said they thought there was a bad-looking gap between the hood and bumper/grille. I said maybe thats design. Also, the pre-prod car's boot gap you had photographed was bad. i am talking about the sides and top, consistent gap, not this. hope its clear now
Panel gaps are not only large (which looks really bad) but also inconsistent - not acceptable at all for a car of this segment. The large gaps in the bonnet area and the inconsistent gaps in the tail light area as photographed by GTO are still very much there in the production cars.
I want a 'premium' hatchback of high quality - no compromises there!
Budget is a bit flexible - so I am thinking of either the Polo 1.6 or the Jazz (after 75K odd discounts and other free accessories thrown in)

Last edited by adimicra : 28th July 2010 at 11:42.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:29   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
adimicra, I think Polo 1.6 will be a good buy for you provided you can stretch your budget.
Quote:
Panel gaps are not only large (which looks really bad) but also inconsistent - not acceptable at all for a car of this segment. The large gaps in the bonnet area and the inconsistent gaps in the tail light area as photographed by GTO are still very much there in the production cars.
Budget is a bit flexible - so I am thinking of either the Polo 1.6 or the Jazz (after 75K odd discounts and other free accessories thrown in)
I too was going to suggest to you the Polo 1.6 but didn't want to rake a controversy. If you decide on the Polo 1.6, we can wait together!

When I checked yesterday, deliveries are still 2 months away though.

Or else maybe you can wait until Nissan eventually gets the panel gaps sorted out.

Either way it may be a long wait unless you decide on something else.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:58   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adi, I am unable to hold myself - Sorry!

Difference in price between Polo 1.2 and Jass, initially was approximately 1.5L. Now, if you consider Polo 1.6 - difference will be 1.1L approximately. If you throw in the discount, it will reduce to 30K?

Take a td of both these cars back to back and see the difference. For that matter, it can be even a Polo 1.2. Jass interiors are spacious - no doubt. But the plastics are very thin (contributing to the rattles) - Honda attributes this to the use of recycled materials, used to save the Earth! - at our cost - without themselves contributing?

Coming back to Micra - Panel gaps and the uncomfortable seats may be the result of Nissan reducing the number of parts - and not exactly the quality. When the number of parts are drastically reduced, everything has to be relooked - which IMO, Nissan has slightly overlooked.

Now the question is - How far is it going to effect a buyer, practically?

Let me elaborate my thoughts on the rear seat:
  • Height of the seat is reduced quite a bit - Resulting in difficulty to sit down & get up - Head room increases because of this!
  • Depth of the seat is reduced - Resulting in eliminating thigh support - Leg room increases because of this!
  • Reduction in number of parts - resulted in integrating head rests to the rear seats! - and also not splitting the rear seat!
I think Nissan went overboard with this concept. But each person is different. If it does not create discomfort to you and your family, it should be fine.

End of the day - What matters is what we desire and can die for. If you have fallen in love with the car - Buy it. Do not even think about it later!

We all do the same thing with our marriages - Right? Otherwise, divorces would have been a lot more?!
Old 29th July 2010, 00:38   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Adi, I am unable to hold myself - Sorry!

Difference in price between Polo 1.2 and Jass, initially was approximately 1.5L. Now, if you consider Polo 1.6 - difference will be 1.1L approximately. If you throw in the discount, it will reduce to 30K?

Take a td of both these cars back to back and see the difference. For that matter, it can be even a Polo 1.2. Jass interiors are spacious - no doubt. But the plastics are very thin (contributing to the rattles) - Honda attributes this to the use of recycled materials, used to save the Earth! - at our cost - without themselves contributing?

Coming back to Micra - Panel gaps and the uncomfortable seats may be the result of Nissan reducing the number of parts - and not exactly the quality. When the number of parts are drastically reduced, everything has to be relooked - which IMO, Nissan has slightly overlooked.

Now the question is - How far is it going to effect a buyer, practically?

Let me elaborate my thoughts on the rear seat:
  • Height of the seat is reduced quite a bit - Resulting in difficulty to sit down & get up - Head room increases because of this!
  • Depth of the seat is reduced - Resulting in eliminating thigh support - Leg room increases because of this!
  • Reduction in number of parts - resulted in integrating head rests to the rear seats! - and also not splitting the rear seat!
I think Nissan went overboard with this concept. But each person is different. If it does not create discomfort to you and your family, it should be fine.

End of the day - What matters is what we desire and can die for. If you have fallen in love with the car - Buy it. Do not even think about it later!

We all do the same thing with our marriages - Right? Otherwise, divorces would have been a lot more?!
Thanks Chetan, well written!
I am almost sure of cancelling the Micra.
And I am disappointed with the VW dealer, totally inflexible and not at all responsive and eager to sell the car!
Looks like it is going to be the Jazz. I actually fell in love with the gar during test drive few weeks back and it was always the first choice but rejected it due to the price. Now with 75K discount and 25+K accessories free, it has become a lot more affordable though bit of stretch for me.
Another thing about the price difference is - With Jazz, I do not need to purchase any accessories but with Polo I have to spend a few grands on accessories and 10-15K on upgrading the music system and speakers, whereas on the Jazz the OE music system is so damn good ..just unbelievable.
Add to that, 4 years warranty and 4 years roadside assistance free, there is not much difference in the price.
Also, wife and me loves the way the Jazz looks - so futuristic and so attention grabbing, street presence is awesome, easily stands out in the crowd.
But more than anything else, it is the VW dealership here which is horrible and I do not want to see/hear them ever!
So, ultimately it could be the Jazz and I can get the car as early as next week.
Old 29th July 2010, 01:40   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I am disappointed with the VW dealer, totally inflexible and not at all responsive and eager to sell the car!
Looks like it is going to be the Jazz. I actually fell in love with the gar during test drive few weeks back and it was always the first choice but rejected it due to the price. Now with 75K discount and 25+K accessories free, it has become a lot more affordable though bit of stretch for me.
Another thing about the price difference is - With Jazz, I do not need to purchase any accessories but with Polo I have to spend a few grands on accessories and 10-15K on upgrading the music system and speakers, whereas on the Jazz the OE music system is so damn good ..just unbelievable.
I'm quite disappointed about the Micra not meeting your needs completely, I am also very appreciative of the fact that you are so forthcoming about the issues about the car.

I have been extolling the virtues of a particular car on teambhp for quite a while, and it's the Punto. I know it might not be something that you are looking at, but the car is a pretty big investment, and it'll be great if you could test drive the 90Hp model once. It would be within the price you pay for the Jazz, and it's a pretty good car to drive. Take your family along with you, see how the salepersons react, drive the car, and based on the complete experience share your judgment.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:22   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I'm quite disappointed about the Micra not meeting your needs completely, I am also very appreciative of the fact that you are so forthcoming about the issues about the car.

I have been extolling the virtues of a particular car on teambhp for quite a while, and it's the Punto. I know it might not be something that you are looking at, but the car is a pretty big investment, and it'll be great if you could test drive the 90Hp model once. It would be within the price you pay for the Jazz, and it's a pretty good car to drive. Take your family along with you, see how the salepersons react, drive the car, and based on the complete experience share your judgment.
You know Amartya - Punto 1.4 was the first car I test drove. Actually I thought that this is the car for me with 90 hp on tap and gorgeous looks and awesome features. And I had a test drive near my residence with my family but it was a disappointment! The moment I sat in the car, it did not feel 'premium', the glove box in the TD car was broken and the boot opening lever was feeling as if it would come out. The fit and finish is bad, period. The space at the rear is not great at all! Also, the car is not very quick off the block - I wonder where the 90 hp has gone. There was lot of cabin noise particularly at 3-digit speeds and it has a huge turning radius (bigger than most sedans) which does not make it a good city car, which is where I will be spending 90% of the time. My wife and myself were pretty sure that the Punto is not the car for us.
One thing about the Punto which I really liked is the ride quality - amazing and simply the best!

Last edited by adimicra : 29th July 2010 at 08:27.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:33   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add to that, 4 years warranty and 4 years roadside assistance free, there is not much difference in the price.
Also, wife and me loves the way the Jazz looks - so futuristic and so attention grabbing, street presence is awesome, easily stands out in the crowd.
But more than anything else, it is the VW dealership here which is horrible and I do not want to see/hear them ever!
So, ultimately it could be the Jazz and I can get the car as early as next week.
That looks like the right price for Jass! Can you share it in detail?

Also one last suggestion! - Go to Nissan showroom yourself, spend 10 mins with the display car & Cancel your booking. Wait until you get your money back (Generally takes 2-4 days) and then book a Jass. If you can do this, you can be sure that you have done the right thing!

I still feel that you should go ahead with the Micra!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 29th July 2010 at 08:41.
Old 29th July 2010, 09:09   #435
Senior - BHPian

About Micra rear seat space. I am yet to sit in the seat of the car, but somehow after looking at the video review I think that the seat base is made short to increase the feeling of space. After just having a glance at the rear seat space of Micra I felt that the space is really big. Afterwards, when compared it with other cars in similar segment, I felt that the smart trick is to make the seat base smaller to give feeling of spaciousness.

This mostly ruins the under-thigh support. Yes, the overall seat design matters too, but if the seat base is bigger then more comfort will be there. Also there will be more freedom for shape of the seat base.

Also I found the seat of Micra to be flat.

Again, I have not driven the car or sat in it extensively to comment on the overall comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Did anyone notice the video review that's been added to the 1st post of this thread . Thanks to friendly Mod Rehaan!
Thanks for the update. The last part was very nice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks