Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:52   #901
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Firstly, words are not enough to thank the people out here who have spent hours to describe, educate, dissect each and every detail to the wider public.

I am not a driving enthusiast (though I would love to become one someday..), however something about the Yeti just refuses to go away, once you TD it. Hence, after much reading through Behemoth, pramods, gloryManU, shankar.balan, sunilrj and other bhp-ians, I decided to take the plunge. One miinor difference, I have booked the 4x2 110PS.. I know what everyone said, but I couldnt stretch the budget more.

Based on the VIN mentioned in the insurance cover note, I think the vehicle will be a Jan 2012 model. I have yet to confirm the accessories with the dealer (Autobahn) and would like some help.

Being an owner of a Tata car, I have never had to import a spare part. Hence, the prospect of importing parts myself seems particularly daunting. In these circumstances, I need to finalise the minimum accessories I need to get from the dealer directly, with any complex stuff to be done later. I have thought of these areas:

1) Caska Head Unit + Rev parking sensors - Dealer is quoting 62k + 7k- Will take care of Bluetooth, GPS and reverse parking
2) SS pedal covers and Exhaust Pipe ends - 5k+4k
3) Sun film, especially front glass - Have read all the posts and am no nearer to a decision
4) Projector HID - Dealer is quoting 30k (or should I just change lamps only)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

One other mistake I made in my last purchase (my first car!) was freeloading on all the advice and not acknowledging it. I would like to correct that by making sure my yeti bears the team-bhp banner.
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:55   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post
I need to finalise the minimum accessories I need to get from the dealer directly, with any complex stuff to be done later. I have thought of these areas:

1) Caska Head Unit + Rev parking sensors - Dealer is quoting 62k + 7k- Will take care of Bluetooth, GPS and reverse parking
3) Sun film, especially front glass - Have read all the posts and am no nearer to a decision
As you require "minimum accessories" as quoted by you -

1. Caska head unit is very "chinesey", to say the least. Its sound quality is no match for the OEM unit. If still you are insistent, then you can get a 7" double-din Pioneer HU, which will give you far superior sound than all these Chinese brands, for around 20~25K with reverse camera.

Rest all your other accessories seem a tad frivolous to me and not exactly essential. Do drive for a while before investing in them. Still, my opinion is -

2. Exhaust pipes can lend a little exterior class and can be gone in for. However 4K price seems on a higher side (My Fortuner Muffler Cutter costed just 1K). SS Pedal is purely your choice and least essential.
3. Sun Film is really not needed (and now also banned under Indian law). I am driving my Superb and Fortuner without any in the sweltering North Indian heat without issues.
4. Better go for some high quality Philips/Osram bulb upgrade rather than HID's, as Yeti has a single beam setup and not twin beam. Hence single HID's may cause more harm than good, as for headlight flashing, HID's are NOT recommended as they take time to reach peak brightness.

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd October 2012 at 17:59.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:23   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

One other mistake I made in my last purchase (my first car!) was freeloading on all the advice and not acknowledging it. I would like to correct that by making sure my yeti bears the team-bhp banner.
Hey i see you are from mumbai. I got my 4x2 ambition from senator motors. Did u opt for active? If there is still a possibility to get an ambition , i would get it. Active does not have ESP, hill hold control, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror(interior), leather seats. I think the diff in price is about 1L which is worth the number of features one is getting.

I also went for caska i got it for 50k. The system is good but not extraordinary.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:04   #904
BHPian

dkaile, exactly the stuff I wanted! thank you! Please do suggest any other accessories that are more relevant.

About my expected use, it will be city driving mostly, with a bit of weekend driving. No offroading intended, other than unintentional offroading over bad Mumbai roads. I would want to get a few long trips done, once I get used to the verhicle.

I think it may also help for me to explain my choice of accessories. Essentially, most of the extras in the 4x4 cant be added in the 4x2, so basically, parking sensors/camera, leather seats. Other than that, better headlights for night driving, and protection against scratches, dents. I want to defer leather for now. I would have loved the auto dimming IRVM because flashing headlights give me a headache..

1. The Active variant comes with the Skoda swing player, not the Bolero. Rather than pay another 27k for a bluetooth module, I thought maybe a "better" music system. The Active variant also does not have steering mounted phone controls. Also no parktronics, parking sensors, etc. A lot of the earlier posts mentioned the Caska, so i thought that was recommended. I think I will go with Pioneer, because I have it on my current car as well. As far as I know, it only misses the DVD, which I am sure is not essential.

4. Headlights - Agree with you on Philips/Osram. Again, I was not convinced at all, but just the bling factor with the projector headlights. I do not like flashing headlights, but I would love to have a strong high beam if someone is just not inclined to dip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
As you require "minimum accessories" as quoted by you -

1. Caska head unit is very "chinesey", to say the least. Its sound quality is no match for the OEM unit. If still you are insistent, then you can get a 7" double-din Pioneer HU, which will give you far superior sound than all these Chinese brands, for around 20~25K with reverse camera.

Rest all your other accessories seem a tad frivolous to me and not exactly essential. Do drive for a while before investing in them. Still, my opinion is -

2. Exhaust pipes can lend a little exterior class and can be gone in for. However 4K price seems on a higher side (My Fortuner Muffler Cutter costed just 1K). SS Pedal is purely your choice and least essential.
3. Sun Film is really not needed (and now also banned under Indian law). I am driving my Superb and Fortuner without any in the sweltering North Indian heat without issues.
4. Better go for some high quality Philips/Osram bulb upgrade rather than HID's, as Yeti has a single beam setup and not twin beam. Hence single HID's may cause more harm than good, as for headlight flashing, HID's are NOT recommended as they take time to reach peak brightness.
sagpatel, its an active, only two elegance units and rest all active. This is under the ad campaign that closed recently. By the time I went and asked about the elegance variant, the two were long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Hey i see you are from mumbai. I got my 4x2 ambition from senator motors. Did u opt for active? If there is still a possibility to get an ambition , i would get it. Active does not have ESP, hill hold control, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror(interior), leather seats. I think the diff in price is about 1L which is worth the number of features one is getting.

I also went for caska i got it for 50k. The system is good but not extraordinary.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:19   #905
BHPian

I feel the Yeti looks better with the B pillar also given the Black treatment. Attaching a small modified look with the B pillar shaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-yeti-bl.jpg  

Old 4th October 2012, 06:15   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
I feel the Yeti looks better with the B pillar also given the Black treatment. Attaching a small modified look with the B pillar shaded.
The B-Pillar Trims just like on the C-Pillar have been ordered by me from the Czech Republic. please wait until my order is delivered and then go ahead. and NO am not buying it from Superskoda.com, because both my Transactions were problem ridden - 1. they dont ship to borderlinx
2. they use the Czech Post System which takes about 21 days for delivery
3. the accessories in most cases will get held up in cusotms as they do not give any detailed customs declaration
4. their Phone Lines are non-responsive - No reply to mails or Calls

i have contacted yet another less known dealer in Czech Republic who can source all the Superskoda displayed items and forward them to borderlinx. waiting for him to execute my order to perfection before i recommend his name on the forums.

also as regards CASKA - i would opt for something better either the Pioneer or the OE Bolero Headunit which Costs 74K. if you're willing to throw 62K for Caska Might as well go in for the OE bolero system for which you will have a two year warranty. in case you have opted for EW, the unit also gets covered with EW.

SS Pedals + Chrome Exhaust Tips - Come from the Genuine Skoda Catalogue. Chrome Exhaust Tips are internally Locable and not to be tightened from outside like the after market ones. the fitment requires sawing off the tapering Tail pipe to a straight line and then plugging the chrome tips on them. once fitted, they cannot be removed / stolen. the quality is also much much better than the Aftermarket ones.

SS pedals - Purely a cosmetic Upgrade. the high price is due to the fact that the entire accelerator assembly needs to be replaced with the SS Kit

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-pedals.jpg

projectors / HID involve tampering with the wiring. unless the dealer gives it in writing that your warranty will not go void, dont go in for them, as during every ECU scan, an error may show up. ofcourse if he is installing the OE projector setup found in the European Yeti's then there is no issue, but i doubt if the same will be supplied at 30K. as the same costs GBP 230 per piece which is about 22,000/-

Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-headlamp.jpg

Last edited by Sunilrj : 4th October 2012 at 06:22.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:59   #907
BHPian

Just to add, you can't just plug in the projector headlight, it need a different controller and also need inclination sensors and both front and rear to adjust the headlight beam, this again need to be connected to the BCM, the wiring harness needed for projector light is completely different and you either need a converter for this wiring harness or a complete different wiring harness. The projector are bi-xenon with also turn in steering direction at speed greater than 40kmph. I am sure the service guys are talking about the HID bulb that I have seen on a Yeti here!

-Pramod
Old 4th October 2012, 11:14   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The cost of good quality (from China) projectors + HID kit is around 10-12K. Retrofit charges are 2.5K.

I am not sure what you are being offered, but if they are retrofits, then most likely they are outsourced to some local accessory guy in the city and not done by Skoda showroom/ workshop guys. You will have to spend quite some time to get the lights focused and aligned so that they don't blind oncoming traffic. Also, the sealing may not be perfect in the first shot and there could be leakage leading to fogging inside the headlamp assy.
Bottom line: Be prepared for some initial 'pain in the wrong place'.

For European cars, you generally require CANBUS ballasts, else you will get error codes on the dashboard.

If it is complete headlamp assy which comes with projectors from factory, then I think 30K is a good price. In that case, will they allow you to retain the original halogen headlamp assy as well?

As dkaile mentioned, flashing (during day time) will have to be forgotten.

However night driving will be much better (and you can switch between High/ Low beams once the HID lamps are switched ON, as many times as you want).

Overall, it is a better upgrade than the 62K CASKA unit.

FYI:
Low end standalone device prices:
Reverse camera cost: Rs. 5000.
GPS device: Rs. 8000.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:41   #909
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda OEM sound setup is pretty good for an OEM.
Caska unit sounds crap. Replacing skoda unit with caska is not recommended at all.
Now, head units from pioneer is another option suggested by some, but it is a little expensive considering your cars sound setup is already good.
Since you are trying to address the problem of lack of GPS, rear view, bluetooth, I would like to suggest another option.
Why dont you try Garmin unit like nüvi® 2565LM which has bluetooth and supports wireless rear view camera (as shown in this page http://www.garmin.co.in/news/pressroom/news20120103/)?
Personally I find a windshield mounted is better as far as usability is concerned. When driving , using gps/bluetooth without taking eyes of the road. And while reversing you can use aid of rear view mirror and cam rather than look into the center console .
Wireless cam means that no wiring needs to be done, so you car electronics will be completely stock.
And ofcourse added advantage of using the unit in you other cars too.
The unit costs around 15k -wireless cam costs extra
Old 4th October 2012, 13:47   #910
BHPian

hi SunilRJ,

thank you for your upload of the accessories price list. On it, Chrome exhaust tip 5L0071910 is Rs. 1892 but dealer is quoting 4k. Is that standard, or can i get the same fitment at a Skoda A.S.S. for lesser? I read your post on the fitment of the tips, I will try to see if the dealer does it the proper way or just installs over the slanted tips.

OE Bolero means that I have to go for a separate GPS. I am thinking of Pioneer with a dashboard mounted GPS unit (do not want the wire to trail down from the windshield.

[quote=Sunilrj;2922627]

pramods, If xenon HID (Rs. 22k) is genuine Skoda (no cutting wires), should I go for it?
Old 4th October 2012, 15:02   #911
BHPian

I have the Garmin unit 2565LM that mxx described above. It does bluetooth and GPS functions. At some later time, I might consider adding the camera but I at present have no difficulty in parking with default reverse sensors I have on my ambition. They are very accurate.

I also agree that OEM player should not be replaced with Caska. That's a downgrade in quality of audio you will be paying for.

Xenon lamps sound pretty good upgrade which will actually add some value. And now I need to start saving for it.
Old 4th October 2012, 15:43   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

pramods, If xenon HID (Rs. 22k) is genuine Skoda (no cutting wires), should I go for it?
If you dont, please place an order for me.
Old 4th October 2012, 16:29   #913
BHPian

[quote=Achu;2923033]hi SunilRJ,

thank you for your upload of the accessories price list. On it, Chrome exhaust tip 5L0071910 is Rs. 1892 but dealer is quoting 4k. Is that standard, or can i get the same fitment at a Skoda A.S.S. for lesser? I read your post on the fitment of the tips, I will try to see if the dealer does it the proper way or just installs over the slanted tips.

OE Bolero means that I have to go for a separate GPS. I am thinking of Pioneer with a dashboard mounted GPS unit (do not want the wire to trail down from the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post

Hi Rs. 1892/- is Per Piece. you require two Pieces so its Rs. 1892 x 2 = 3784/- there could be some fitting charges / VAT etc. Skoda Service and Dealer would be having the same Price list.

Xenon HID cannot be Genuine Skoda.1. its not available in the Indian Parts Bin 2. ECU/Wiring needs to be changed and the UK Price per Unit is about 20K.
Old 4th October 2012, 17:29   #914
BHPian

Quote:
HID are not Skoda part, and as mentioned the original bi-xenon headlight have a completely different assembly and requirement, just to let you know the bi-xenon light also comes with the light washer and that too need a different setup, the washer tank in the current model is 3 ltr tank, while the washer with light washer comes with 5ltrs tank and a sensor that indicate the water level on the MFD, the bi-xenon don't work with light adjustment switch they are auto leveling and need a different hardware and controller, the hardware need to be installed and front and rear and controller need to be connected and activated via VAG/VCDS even the leveling need to be adjusted via these software, I initially thought of getting all these changes done, but dropped the idea, as the wiring harness required are not a separate part, they comes with vehicle and your need a wiring harness from kufatec and do all the changes. The part that need to do a complete conversion are compete headlight assembly, wiring harness, controller, self leveling hardware and wiring harness and then connecting all this to BCM.

This means the serivce guys are going to get you a HID light and a module for that HID, and then they will connect that, possibly they also need to take care of the CAN either via module(CAN compatible) or by disabling the check in the system for battery overload and headlight!
-Pramod
Old 4th October 2012, 17:42   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Xenon HID cannot be Genuine Skoda.1. its not available in the Indian Parts Bin 2. ECU/Wiring needs to be changed and the UK Price per Unit is about 20K.
The dealer showed me the TD car with the projector headlamps (30k). Accessories list has Xenon HID for 22k. No idea which make. Will find out more.

@samyboy - yes no caska. Now choice between pioneer (30k)+GPS (10k approx) or Garmin 2565LM (as suggested by you and mxx). Regarding Garmin, does this have live traffic updates? Also, can I fix it on the dash instead of the windshield or the pillar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks