Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 14:20   #316
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The low sales of Yeti is mainly due to the fact it is a Skoda.
Disagree. The Laura & Superb sell just as well with the same badge. The main reason for the Yeti's failure to penetrate the market is it's small size + lack of road presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
The best that i could squeeze was 1.8 Lakh - on the Ambiente Yeti.
Net was 3 lakhs off the on-road price. I guess you are already at 2.0 lakhs if you got 1.8 off the ex-showroom (insurance etc. will be cheaper too).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:41   #317
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification GTO. I guess my negotiation skills are not good enought to squeeze 3 lakhs...regardless, I'm happy with what i've got so far and going ahead with the deal .

Will agree with GTO on sales of Laura/Yeti. I was under the impression, it is one of the best selling cars in that segment. I've had more problem getting my Honda scooter serviced than my Skoda Octavia.

Overall I felt a lot more comfortable @ the cockpit of the Yeti than Laura. My wife said even the rear seats were much more comfortable than Laura. But Yeti does "visually" appear to be smaller than Laura and it was misleading at first.

The higher visibility is definetly a boon on our highways and cities. Except for the boot size of Laura, I felt Yeti was better in all other aspect. I have tried Yeti on highways - but I guess one can expect Laura to be a better handler on highway.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:31   #318
Team-BHP Support

This was mentioned in the BS Motoring Website:
"There are variants too that will make their way into showrooms, including a cheaper variant of a crossover currently on sale (psst, we can't tell you right now)"

This should be the 4x2 Yeti with the 1.6 TDI engine.

Reference Link: HOT! launches in August 2011- Page 1

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd August 2011 at 09:31. Reason: URL Updated
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:37   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just visited a showroom near my home and took a good long look at the Yeti
the chap there says all the super deals are over - they were knocking off 1.5 lacs approx on the Ambiente version till last month.
Whatever it is, this is a very desirable vehicle indeed, but somehow I cannot make up my mind.
I ve told the chap to keep in touch and maybe a few months down the line I will actually go back. Having said this I told him that I wouldnt mind buying a 2011 production vehicle in 2012 if he can knock something extra off on the price.
Shall hang in there for a bit and see what more news comes through about the Koleos, Duster, Korando C, Rexton etc and their likely pricing and then maybe take it forward.
Else I shall simply pay up and buy a nice used Tucson (if I can find a well kept one) which I can happily keep and use properly for another 3 -4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
@ Shankar. My gut feeling says that it might be a good idea to wait for a few months. They wouldn't be able to sell too many Yeti's at this price point. The new variants will be introduced at lower prices. A variant with DSG could also set its foot on Indian soil.
It is only a matter of time when used Yeti's begin to appear in the market.
A used Yeti should have much more life and zest remaining than say a used Tucson. Plus it is so much more fun to drive. I've clocked over 17,000 km in seven months, and the car is as spirited as, when I rolled it out of the show-room.
I also feel that Yeti will lose its value rather rapidly - thanks to the reputation that Skoda has for its A.S.S. A used Yeti should be a very good VFM.
I'd say just wait for some time.
Agree with Sushil there. If you are looking at the Yeti again, it is better to wait for a few months. It is an excellent car, but if the sales are going like way, there could be some price corrections / added discounts towards the last quarter of the year. And you mentioned that you’re not interested in the 4x2 versions. So the only option you can consider is the current elegance trim.

And yes, a used Yeti should have more life /zest comparing to a used Tucson, but if I am a buyer, I would prefer to buy a Skoda only showroom fresh, with the Skoda shield included. That gives a bit of peace of mind for 4 years. .

Shankar/Sushil – replying here as the what car discussion could get snipped from Pramods’ review thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:13   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

"4*2" means, I suppose, it's got four wheels, two of which are driven. Err.... they could have just said "normal" Still, looking on the bright side, I suppose no-one is going to think it is 4*4. Except, of course, some of the salesmen!

Wondering... How long before a second-hand yeti is available for under half the current showroom price, and if it would be worth buying.
Old 6th August 2011, 18:08   #321
BHPian

Over the last few years, Octavia has taught me - how enjoyable driving experience could be. Before Octavia, I never gave credit for the concept of "driving pleasure". Driving mostly on highways in TN, I enjoyed every minute of owning it.

Over the years, I also started to realize the limitations of Octavia, with repect to our own (Indian) driving condition. This would include public behaviour on the road (especially on the highway), apart from road conditions !! The following are three main things that did bother me

-> Braking was very poor
-> I'm slightly over 6 ft, and knee pain was a constant bother on long drives
-> Sitting "low" was a big disadvantage at high speeds on our roads - due to limited visibility. Had couple of accidents due to this...

Took delivery of my Yeti yesterday, all though i was skeptical about the high visibility aspect (it was just a theory), a drive on the highway made me realize this is a very big improvement for me. The handling and ride quality are very good improvement over Octavia. Driving on the highway seems a lot more easier and even more comfortable. Of coure, Braking is far superior.

I'm to yet to tak the Yeti on long drives, but I can safely assume knee pains would be a thing of past. There is so much more space in Yeti.
Old 6th August 2011, 19:26   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Yeti yesterday, all though i was skeptical about the high visibility aspect (it was just a theory), a drive on the highway made me realize this is a very big improvement for me. The handling and ride quality are very good improvement over Octavia. Driving on the highway seems a lot more easier and even more comfortable. Of coure, Braking is far superior.

I'm to yet to tak the Yeti on long drives, but I can safely assume knee pains would be a thing of past. There is so much more space in Yeti.
Congratulations on your new acquisition. I completely agree with you; high visibility and sitting position in Yeti, together with hardly any roll and pitch is such a boon - on highways and during night.
Old 6th August 2011, 21:25   #323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congratulations Contessa!

Looking forward to a detailed ownership review from you, along with some great pictures
Old 7th August 2011, 18:57   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Over the last few years, Octavia has taught me - how enjoyable driving experience could be. Before Octavia, I never gave credit for the concept of "driving pleasure". Driving mostly on highways in TN, I enjoyed every minute of owning it.

Over the years, I also started to realize the limitations of Octavia, with repect to our own (Indian) driving condition. This would include public behaviour on the road (especially on the highway), apart from road conditions !! The following are three main things that did bother me

-> Braking was very poor
-> I'm slightly over 6 ft, and knee pain was a constant bother on long drives
-> Sitting "low" was a big disadvantage at high speeds on our roads - due to limited visibility. Had couple of accidents due to this...

Congrats on the Yeti, Contessa - Welcome to the Yeti owners club!
Enjoy your ride and drive safe! Looking forward to your ownership thread also soon!
Old 15th August 2011, 17:22   #325
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes VB-San:
Both versions of the Yeti - Ambiente and Elegance have the Haldex clutch and 4WD system on tap. there is currently no 2WD available in the Yeti - this suits me and I feel the price diff of 1.5 lacs is worth paying for the Elegance.
Yes I do appreciate that buying brand new would be vastly preferred, but considering the 21.05 lac price tag, I am thinking deeply about it!
Yes I agree that the Skoda Shield is a good thing and would be much appreciated over 4 years of ownership.

[quote=vb-san;2453726] And you mentioned that you’re not interested in the 4x2 versions. So the only option you can consider is the current elegance trim.

And yes, a used Yeti should have more life /zest comparing to a used Tucson, but if I am a buyer, I would prefer to buy a Skoda only showroom fresh, with the Skoda shield included. That gives a bit of peace of mind for 4 years. .

Contessa:
I appreciate your feedback on space because I also find this a problem, being 6 ft 2 inches tall, in most vehicles. I always prefer a higher seating stance annd hence am not at all interested in the sedans on offer. How is your experience with Ground clearance especially in Bangalore? because it has the same GC (180mm) as the Scorpio and Ive not had any problems with the Scorpio GC.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2011 at 17:25.
Old 16th August 2011, 08:59   #326
BHPian

Shankar,

I feel the GC is good enough to manage all speed breakers and all pot-holes in BLR (I stay on the out-skirts with a speed breaker or a pot-hole every few meters). Not once have i scrapped one.

It is also much more easier to drive over some of those large speed breakers (due to 4WD ??)

I just went on a long drive to Chennai over the weekend. Compared to Octavia, Yeti is far less tiring.

A negative aspect on Yeti, but still a expected one - I was unable to take sharp turns (few bridges on BLR/Chennai highway) at higher speed, as i used to with Octavia (or may be i'm not yet used to the Yeti !! ).
Old 16th August 2011, 09:33   #327
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks for the feedback.
im sure that the Yeti will be better in terms of handling than the Scorpio which sways from side to side while going across bad ruts, pot holes and speed breakers.
of course in a tall boy one cant really expect to corner the way one would, in a low slung sedan so I can live with what you say about sharp turns.
Since Im used to the Scorpio this Yeti should be a breeze if at all I end up buying one
thanks!

Quote:
Shankar,

I feel the GC is good enough to manage all speed breakers and all pot-holes in BLR (I stay on the out-skirts with a speed breaker or a pot-hole every few meters). Not once have i scrapped one.

It is also much more easier to drive over some of those large speed breakers (due to 4WD ??)

I just went on a long drive to Chennai over the weekend. Compared to Octavia, Yeti is far less tiring.

A negative aspect on Yeti, but still a expected one - I was unable to take sharp turns (few bridges on BLR/Chennai highway) at higher speed, as i used to with Octavia (or may be i'm not yet used to the Yeti !! ).
Old 16th August 2011, 19:55   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa
Shankar,

Hi Contessa,
Yes, in the Yeti you will not be able to take turns as fast as a Laura. The 4x4 system kicks in and brakes the wheels to prevent sharp turns. Try with the Traction control off ( button below the ac controls) and it will allow you to make faster turns, with some drama!
Old 21st August 2011, 09:25   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just an update in case it helps potential customers : Someone I know claims to have gotten a discount of 3 lakh rupees on a brand new Yeti. Well, it's not moving off showroom floors as expected, so I knew there'd be a discount. But 3 lakh rupees is huge!
Hello GTO,
Did your friend get the 3 Lakh discount? I tried to negotiate with the local dealer here,but the best I get is Rs 70,000/ discount. I did mention about this offer,but they are denying and claim there was never such an offer. If your friend did buy the ambient yeti, would you be able to get me further details about the same? Thanks in advance
Old 21st August 2011, 09:51   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, in the Yeti you will not be able to take turns as fast as a Laura. The 4x4 system kicks in and brakes the wheels to prevent sharp turns. Try with the Traction control off ( button below the ac controls) and it will allow you to make faster turns, with some drama!
Why would have to turn TCS off for taking sharp turns on road? Unless you are looking to drift by accelerating hard while turning? Yes turning TCS off can produce quite dramatic results and need to be tried and tested in open area before doing it on narrow streets with other traffic.

Can OP explain what he means by "taking sharp" turns?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks