Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 16:46   #6976
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

Having driven the Vento TSI for a few weeks, I have a theory for what causes strain on the transmission, especially if people are used to driving a traditional torque converter AT but maybe I'll mention that in an ownership thread.
hi !
Can you please elaborate a bit on the theory.
I just fit the bill perfectly. I have an i10 automatic ( been with me for 5 years now) and the vento TSi.
Old 25th March 2014, 17:44   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi !
Can you please elaborate a bit on the theory.
I just fit the bill perfectly. I have an i10 automatic ( been with me for 5 years now) and the vento TSi.
It has to do with bumper-to-bumper inching traffic.

While the upshifts are very smooth and it loves to speed up, the DSG dislikes slow moving traffic. Since the system is essentially two automated clutches without a torque converter - it disengages at a complete stop, which is why I guess VW doesn't recommend shifting to neutral at stop lights and the RPM needle stays at exactly the same place whether you are in D while stopped or at N and stopped. Another behavior that points to the disengaging of the clutches is that when you lift your foot off the brake, it doesn't start moving immediately unlike TCs. It takes half a second to get going and some more time to get up to top crawling speed.

What all this means is that if you moderate crawling speed with the brake or accelerate and brake a lot -- normal behavior for a TC AT, which is always raring to go -- it puts a strain on clutches 1 and 2 of the DSG because at some stage they will be slipping to keep going.

I get around this by not using the brake a lot while creeping and let it do its own thing. I try to keep it between two operating states in thick traffic - creeping or full stop. My assumption is, that will be less strenuous on the gearbox.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 11:51   #6978
Senior - BHPian

For my clunk kind of noise in suspension, VW took down the entire right side suspension to see what the problem is. They replaced a rubber bush and have ordered one more part that is supposed to arrive in a week's time. With just one bush replaced, the sound has not gone entirely and they have promised it will vanish once the other part is replaced too.

Whenever my Vento is repaired for any niggle, I am never 100% sure if the problem was diagnosed properly and it was fixed. I dont feel this for my other cars (Maruti, Honda).

Last edited by srishiva : 26th March 2014 at 11:52.
Old 26th March 2014, 13:03   #6979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While the upshifts are very smooth and it loves to speed up, the DSG dislikes slow moving traffic. Since the system is essentially two automated clutches without a torque converter - it disengages at a complete stop, which is why I guess VW doesn't recommend shifting to neutral at stop lights and the RPM needle stays at exactly the same place whether you are in D while stopped or at N and stopped. Another behavior that points to the disengaging of the clutches is that when you lift your foot off the brake, it doesn't start moving immediately unlike TCs. It takes half a second to get going and some more time to get up to top crawling speed.

What all this means is that if you moderate crawling speed with the brake or accelerate and brake a lot -- normal behavior for a TC AT, which is always raring to go -- it puts a strain on clutches 1 and 2 of the DSG because at some stage they will be slipping to keep going.

I get around this by not using the brake a lot while creeping and let it do its own thing. I try to keep it between two operating states in thick traffic - creeping or full stop. My assumption is, that will be less strenuous on the gearbox.
Theory hinting strong links to reality. I have researched a lot on the transmission and think you are right but again it is theoritical research on the forums and relevant data is older. I am no transmission engineer but the DSG seems suited for European city driving conditions (either they give it plenty of throttle or they stop) not like India where we do a lot of creeping and saving your space else you will be cut and honked at.

Is there a VW commitment on the DSG? Do we get a 10years warranty like US?
Old 26th March 2014, 15:08   #6980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Theory hinting strong links to reality. I have researched a lot on the transmission and think you are right but again it is theoritical research on the forums and relevant data is older. I am no transmission engineer but the DSG seems suited for European city driving conditions (either they give it plenty of throttle or they stop) not like India where we do a lot of creeping and saving your space else you will be cut and honked at.

Is there a VW commitment on the DSG? Do we get a 10years warranty like US?
No commitment from VW on the DSG other than 2+2 warranty, although VAG has been known to offer a complete replacement as goodwill warranty in India even after expiration of the original cover.

Your thought about being designed for Europe is probably true but it doesn't explain the issues faced in places like Australia. I think driving style for those used to TC ATs is a major factor and VW doesn't explain it well enough.

The advantage of the DSG however, is fuel efficiency - I'd covered 450 kms when the fuel gauge hit half after the first full tank fill up. Back of the envelope calculation suggests 16 kmpl! Mind you it's under the run in period so I'm not pushing it too hard.
Old 26th March 2014, 16:11   #6981
BHPian

Quote:

hi

I too am actually tending to use the brakes a lot lesser on my vento TSi than on my i10 automatic.

Also one glaring difference is that while I can put the shift lever into "D" without depressing the brake pedal on my i10 ( with the car at standstill only) ; I can never do that on my Vento TSi.

So I was thinking that it is the brake pedal which actually gives some sort of signal to the gearbox regarding the impeding gear change; at least from "N" to "R" or "N" to "D" .

Also when you are keeping the shift lever at "D" you definitely have to keep the brake pedal depressed all the time you are standing at a signal right ?
Now won't that really put a lot of strain on your brakes or rather even make the DSG guessing as to whether you are going to engage "D" next or "R" ?

Do let me know
Old 26th March 2014, 18:10   #6982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also one glaring difference is that while I can put the shift lever into "D" without depressing the brake pedal on my i10 ( with the car at standstill only) ; I can never do that on my Vento TSi.
That's a fail safe to prevent the car from moving inadvertently when at a stop. It also shows how rudimentary the Hyundai four-speed AT is.

Quote:
Also when you are keeping the shift lever at "D" you definitely have to keep the brake pedal depressed all the time you are standing at a signal right ?
Now won't that really put a lot of strain on your brakes or rather even make the DSG guessing as to whether you are going to engage "D" next or "R" ?
Answer 1 - Yes
Answer 2 - No
There are exceptions to the first rule - If its a really long stop, you can put the car in N and pull the hand brake to give your foot a rest. Don't put it in P because if someone hits you from the back it'll damage the transmission.

In the second scenario, the DSG is like a manual. At a complete stop the clutch disengages and the brakes are only preventing the car from rolling forward or backwards. A complete stop is a clear state for the DSG, it is doing nothing and hence is not transferring any power to the wheels. The situation you describe, in my opinion, would arise in a creeping, half-braking sort of situation where it's not moving freely or stopping completely.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 11:51   #6983
BHPian

A point and a question on the AC. I strictly wanted auto climate control in my car and hence got the highline. But AC seems to be less effective in Vento and also the direction of the throw doesn't cover most of the body due to the high position on the central console.

Have been struggling with this as the cool air doesn't reach below my neck at all. At the lowest point it throws air straight on my face causing burning eyes and a headache. If I turn the direction away from me then I don't feel any cooling anyway. Unable to get the best cooling without face getting colder especially on hot days.

What I am doing now is get rid of auto mode and have the throw split between dash vents and vents for the foot well. That way I feel there is bit more cooling on the bottom side and the cool air doesn't flare my sinus.

Fiesta vents were much more comfortable and had flexible air thrown angles.

Any one else with such issues?
Old 27th March 2014, 12:06   #6984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
A point and a question on the AC. I strictly wanted auto climate control in my car and hence got the highline. But AC seems to be less effective in Vento and also the direction of the throw doesn't cover most of the body due to the high position on the central console.

Have been struggling with this as the cool air doesn't reach below my neck at all. At the lowest point it throws air straight on my face causing burning eyes and a headache. If I turn the direction away from me then I don't feel any cooling anyway. Unable to get the best cooling without face getting colder especially on hot days.

What I am doing now is get rid of auto mode and have the throw split between dash vents and vents for the foot well. That way I feel there is bit more cooling on the bottom side and the cool air doesn't flare my sinus.

Fiesta vents were much more comfortable and had flexible air thrown angles.

Any one else with such issues?
I have the same issue. Would have been great if something was blowing at your chest and down. The AC is not that great and in Bengaluru weather the ACC is not so intelligent unless you keep the setting really low which is not required (other than 2 months)
Old 27th March 2014, 13:31   #6985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I have the same issue.
How would you envision an air flow for 5.4 ft woman driver? How is the throw at the rear for a baby strapped in the seat?

How is the ACC in Delhi heat, anyone? How loud does the blower get (baby does not sleep)?

Is there a manual TSI in pipeline?

Also, ANZ gets 5 year warranty, US gets 10years, why do Indian's get 2+2 is beyond me. ANZ issues have dropped post DSG mineral conversion it seems.
Old 27th March 2014, 14:33   #6986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hadn't put so much thought into it but what you do is what I naturally settled on - keep the flow on dash vents and foot vents simultaneously, switch off auto, keep it on re-circulation mode and turn the air flow knob for the extreme passenger side vent to off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
How would you envision an air flow for 5.4 ft woman driver? How is the throw at the rear for a baby strapped in the seat?

How is the ACC in Delhi heat, anyone? How loud does the blower get (baby does not sleep)?
With the above tweaks the A/C is fine but then I haven't used it in peak Delhi heat. So far the max fan level I've used is two, which is pretty silent. The rear vents, I assume will be helpful for a baby at the back but I haven't tried it myself to be honest. My kids/wife didn't complain during the little time they spent in the backseat but it wasn't that hot either.
Old 28th March 2014, 22:28   #6987
BHPian

I just took the delivery of Vento TSI, pepper gray.

I am facing problem with bluetooth connectivity. My phone is paired with the car. However, i am getting frequent disconnection. I am not able to make calls due to this. Phone is not connected automatically. When I am trying to connect manually, some times it connects, but with in seconds it got disconnected. Some time back some people in this forum faced similar problem. Can some one tell me what exactly is the problem?
Old 29th March 2014, 01:10   #6988
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

I have Vento petrol driven about 8K now, I have a strange issue. When I press the accelerator pedal the throttle response is not immediate, I can seen some delay in engine picking up the acceleration. I press the pedal it waits for few atleast 1-2 second and then engine responds. Its kind of irritating for me. I have asked the service center to check and they said all looks normal and I tried in test drive car and that looks fine for me.

what could be the issue??
Old 29th March 2014, 11:55   #6989
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks

@muke31

What about the rpm, does it rise immediately when you press the accelerator pedal.
Old 29th March 2014, 13:58   #6990
BANNED

If you're using an iPhone, maybe it's because of iOS7. Try updating it or restoring the settings (from general-reset-reset all settings).
Otherwise you just have to wait for a fix from the manufacturer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks