Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:30   #2701
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Moto Gp winter test liveries!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20181122_121436.jpg

Winter edition. Take a look at some of the brand new helmets the MotoGP riders wore at the Valencia Test

What's your favourite design?
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 10:09   #2702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Winter edition. Take a look at some of the brand new helmets the MotoGP riders wore at the Valencia Test

What's your favourite design?
Nice share, the Nolan looks the best to me.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 10:59   #2703
Senior - BHPian

SOL Dual Sport SS1

I am looking for a replacement visor for SOL Dual Sport SS1 (SOL SS-1 Iridium Chrome Shield). I have checked with many helmet shops here at chennai as well as online. unable to find a place to purchase it.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol-shield.jpg

Appreciate any help in this regards to buy it.
Old 29th November 2018, 11:14   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Picked up this Studds 'full face' which fits great in the Activa, for just Rs. 600 from Amazon during Sale time. This construction is solid but sits tight against my cheeks. MRP is Rs. 1,100.
Vega 'full face' is a snug fit in the scooter too. Rest of them are not fitting. Maybe we need to do a poll on which helmets fit well in a scooter as they score over bikes in sales, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
However, the Vega full face helmet fit flush inside the storage area. The above mentioned brands are more or less will have the same size as that of LS2.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8355.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 11:57   #2705
BHPian

Got myself a MT Thunder 3! This will be replacing my LS2 ff352. Which has been a great companion for 5 years or so! Going in for a helmet after 5 years and seeing the exorbitant pricing and the ISI saga I was not sure what to pick from past 3-4 months. Finally settled for a MT, is it over priced? Yes, it certainly is! But so are all the other lids in market right now. My good old ls2 had a great visor, amazing fit, had the pockets for intercom and every other feature being sold in the market right now. But after the bike upgrade I wanted something more 'Safer' and hence the choice.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20181205_193627.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20181205_195147.jpg
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:16   #2706
BHPian

Getting back to motorcycles after 6 years with my soon arriving interceptor 650.

Went through the whole thread and got even more confused. Would request fellow members to recommend helmets for upright riding stance ( la interceptor) across budgets.
I stay in a small town (jamshedpur), no stores here.
Am planning to try out helmets when I visit bangalore ( orion motors) to know my size. Will buy a balaclava so as to not soil demo helmets in store.

Would request to recommend brands across budget ( 10-15, 20-40k). I can source from India, Dubai( physical visit in february), Singapore or US through contacts but I need to try physically in Bangalore.
Usage would be pleasure trips, no commute involved.

Request quick response.
thanks a lot

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 18th December 2018 at 10:22.
Old 18th December 2018, 11:38   #2707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post

Request quick response.
thanks a lot
You have a pretty good budget, so just go ahead and splurge on a good lid. Get yourself a nice Schuberth (any model you like), you usually cant go wrong with them. They're usually the lid of choice for many round the world adventurers (sponsored or not) on motorbikes. Should cost you well under 40k. Get it in Dubai.

Arai's and Shoei's are apex predators as well, but I don't think any of these will beat the Schuberth for comfort.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:07   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have never worn the helmet until recently, must recommend the one BMW sells in India. These are now available at discounted prices of around 30K. Worth a try, but my experience is strictly based on usage of just one model from BMW so guys like you can definitely compare better.
Sir please share details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You have a pretty good budget, so just go ahead and splurge on a good lid. Get yourself a nice Schuberth (any model you like), you usually cant go wrong with them. They're usually the lid of choice for many round the world adventurers (sponsored or not) on motorbikes. Should cost you well under 40k. Get it in Dubai.

Arai's and Shoei's are apex predators as well, but I don't think any of these will beat the Schuberth for comfort.

Thanks a lot.
Turbanator had posted about these being sold by BMW in India. I had seen them at BMW kolkata at around 30k. Didn't know that they were scuberths then.
Will I be able to get them cheaper in Dubai?
I am travelling to bangalore on friday, do you suggest buying there?
If anyone has seen the stock there or has contacts in that showroom whom I can call and ask, would earnestly request to update. Hearing so much about bangalore traffic and I only have few hours for shopping.

OT would also request for help with riding gear shopping. Would it be a good idea to visit Orion motors to see all in detail? Looking for VFM options, is Shima good or I settle for solace, or stretch to rev'it/dainese? I want to prioritize safety over style or brand. My usage will be very minimal so long lasting won't matter. Won't be driving above 100 kmph. Very hot climate in part of country (mesh?)

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 18th December 2018 at 12:15.
Old 18th December 2018, 12:25   #2709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't be driving above 100 kmph. Very hot climate in part of country (mesh?)
I suggest looking for and shopping everything you need in Dubai, it will be cheaper there than here.

BMW's are almost always Schuberth.

Get the best quality your money can buy - you will end up retaining the gear for the next 10 years. Beats buying a sub standard jacket every two years in the guise of "upgrading".

The Klim mesh jacket costs 25k in India, comes with karbonite mesh and is the best you can buy. If that meets your budget, by all means get it. Other regular mesh jackets are not even textile (else how will it be meshed?) and just rip on the slightest impact (I have a Dainese day ride jacket, MRP 15k, no slide, just a drop, still ripped).

PS: Many rider friends hate me for my choices of "expensive" stuff and boo me very regularly, but I'm a research-aholic, and I usually "invest" for a decade in these kind of things.

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th December 2018 at 12:29.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 23:24   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am planning to try out helmets when I visit bangalore ( orion motors) to know my size. Will buy a balaclava so as to not soil demo helmets in store.

Would request to recommend brands across budget ( 10-15, 20-40k). I can source from India, Dubai( physical visit in february), Singapore or US
I bought an AGV from Singapore a couple of weeks back and it was cheaper by some 5-8k. I suppose Dubai would be even cheaper. Not sure if you get Asian sizes in the US. I always prefer buying these stuff after checking them physically cause diffent models across the same brand might have a different fit.

When are you visiting bangalore? I too was planning to visit Orion motors to check out jackets.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 01:40   #2711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would request to recommend brands across budget ( 10-15, 20-40k). I can source from India, Dubai( physical visit in february), Singapore or US through contacts but I need to try physically in Bangalore.
That's a very good budget that you have there. You have a lot of good options, so Ill share some specifics that I am aware of (not saying there arent others) that I feel you should consider
- Top of the line helmets
HJC and Shark have top of the line helmets that fall well within the Rs 35K budget. I bought a Shark Race R Pro from Big Bear Customs in Bangalore (right next door to the Triumph showroom) in black for Rs 32,000. Its an excellent helmet and 5 star SHARP rated as well which was non negotiable for me.

HJC is another excellent brand and their top of the line RPHA range is around the Rs 30,000 mark. The only reason I didnt buy an RPHA was because of its lower SHARP rating score. This should be available in Orion Motors.

- Overpriced mid range helmets
Im sorry to say this but after the recent price revisions and the introduction of the entry level K1 series, the AGV K3 (their earlier entry level model) and K5 (the one above the K3) have become way too expensive compared to their competition. Dealers blame the exchange rate and all that but they basically have made space for the K1 in the sub Rs 15K range and moved the K3 and K5 up the pricing chart. That said, if you have to buy an AGV and nothing else, go for the K5 but there are better equivalent helmets for much cheaper and also much better helmets for not much more money.

- Mid range helmets
These are generally in the below Rs 20,000 range as per my perspective. You get some nice helmets like the 4 star SHARP rated Nolan N87 which has very good reviews and should be around Rs 20 K. The excellent HJC IS 17 come with five star SHARP rating and is well priced at Rs 15K. The Airoh Valor comes in again with five star SHARP rating and is priced at a very attractive Rs 11,500 and it has excellent graphics as well. AGV has an entry level K1 series that wasnt SHARP rated the last time I checked but it has good designs as well.

In my experience of owning 6 helmets over the last several years, the fit, finish, ventilation, visor quality, comfort of a top of the line helmet is leaps and bounds ahead of the mid range and lower priced offerings. You can truly experience it only if you ride with them one after the other. And once you buy a top of the line helmet, going back to a mid range one makes you realize where all the extra moolah went. Trust me, I feel the same everytime I switch from my Shark Race R Pro to my Nolan N86 (mid range, predecessor to the Nolan N87, purchased for Rs 20,000 several years ago).

That said, helmets are not items that we replace on a whim and a fancy so buy the best one that you can afford. With your budget, narrow it down to the HJC RPHA 11s or the Shark Race R Pro, both of which you can try in Bangalore. See if the SHARP rating influences your decision. All the best on your upcoming helmet purchase and congratulations on your Interceptor booking.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 16:25   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
When are you visiting bangalore? I too was planning to visit Orion motors to check out jackets.
Friday around 3-4 pm .Please PM would be great to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
In my experience of owning 6 helmets over the last several years, the fit, finish, ventilation, visor quality, comfort of a top of the line helmet is leaps and bounds ahead of the mid range and lower priced offerings. ago[/i]).
thanks a lot for your inputs
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:16   #2713
BHPian

Any reviews on the Kre Snake Carbon 2.0 helmets from MT ?
As per the website its DOT, ECE & Snell certified. Any user reviews and insights will be helpful in making a purchase.
Old 10th January 2019, 23:32   #2714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Any reviews on the Kre Snake Carbon 2.0 helmets from MT ?
As per the website its DOT, ECE & Snell certified. Any user reviews and insights will be helpful in making a purchase.
When the helmet was launched, I was quite keen on checking it out and potentially buying it. But it was very difficult to even find one piece to check out physically in Bangalore at that time. And its not SHARP rated despite being priced at a lofty Rs 19,000. For that money, there are many 4* and 5* SHARP (and DOT / ECE / Snell) rated helmets available in India though they will probably be heavier than the Snake Carbon.
Old 11th January 2019, 00:12   #2715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I can vouch for this. I have been using a Shoei Multitec Modular for 5 years, and its time to replace. This holiday season I pickedup the Schuberth C4 Modular. This lid is just awesome, like the doors of a BMW it closes shut in a very crisp manner. Fits very snug (several head sizes available), lighter than the Shoei, and very quiet while riding at highway speeds. I have not bought any Bluetooth/radio kits, I am not yet sure if I need those.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks