Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2019, 12:26   #30001
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Used to see them daily when we used to live in GJ. The Chakkda has remained an integral part of life in small towns and villages of Gujarat. Its high ground clearance made it ideal for rural and bad roads. However it is very unsafe and has been involved in some very ghastly accidents.
Off topic:
(yet relevant to road safety)
They are called as 'Meen body vandi' in Tamilnadu (motorised fish cart) and were used for variety of jugaad load carrying purposes. They are made illegally by attaching motorcycle or auto rickshaw engine to manual tricycle.

They are not street legal, not registered in RTO, have no insurance. So there will be no compensation to victim in case of accident.

Mr. 'Traffic' Ramasamy, a social activist singlehandedly got these banned in Tamilnadu by filing a PIL in Madras High court.
Still there are very few of them plying in streets, though not as many as a decade ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Ramaswamy
Arwin07 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 07:27   #30002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Found this on instagram page of Gaadiwaadi

Read in comments that it happened in a Panvel, Navi Mumbai showroom of Kia. Driver hit 1st instead of reverse.

Mods, please shift/delete post if it doesn't belong on this thread
I hope someone has records the VIN of the car and posts it somewhere on the forums. Chances are this vehicle is going to be repaired and sold off to some unsuspecting buyer.
Ph03nix is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 13:40   #30003
BHPian

Another Seltos, Hope the people inside are safe and sound. The car came under the truck to such an extent meaning high speed was involved. The problem with buses and trucks is that the driver sits on top and cares about sh*t. I have seen how these people react after killing people and they either run away or act like their father is the owner of India and its people.

We need rules that are reinforced and trucks/buses with driver cabins near the road like there are abroad. Even with the new traffic rules corruption is rampant and now instead of 1000-2000 they used to take now they take double.

Such instances make me question my motivations on buying a new car.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 14:15   #30004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
The problem with buses and trucks is that the driver sits on top and cares about sh*t. I have seen how these people react after killing people and they either run away or act like their father is the owner of India and its people.
Pardon me if I am missing something here, but what is that you are blaming the truck drivers here for this particular accident. The video hardly provides any clue on how this accident happened.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 14:25   #30005
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with buses and trucks is that the driver sits on top and cares about sh*t. I have seen how these people react after killing people and they either run away or act like their father is the owner of India and its people.
How are we sure that the accident is caused by the truck. Sorry, but you sound like our archaic law. The bigger vehicle is considered always at fault with utter disregard to the laws of physics.

Please don't generalize the truck drivers. There are many souls on the highways of this country transporting people & goods, respecting and following the rules and regulations. This 2K+ page thread has many examples of a negligent jaywalker to a 21 coach train responsible for an accident and how not to generalize any one in the event of an accident.

Expecting no fatalities from the the accident. Good that both the airbags were deployed and there is no intrusion to the cabin. Hope the driver and the passenger came out safely with minimum to no injuries.

Last edited by saisree : 15th December 2019 at 14:31.
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 14:29   #30006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Krishnagiri Toll booth accident:
A truck 'loses control' (i need to find a replacement for that phrase or Thad sir will take me to task one day) and crashes into the toll booth and unfortunately into bikers. Two people lost their lives. It looks like the truck continued for a while beyond what is seen in the cctv footage.
The toll plaza designers and operators of the Krishnagiri toll seem to be high on some local weed. Usually there will be a side passage ONLY for 2 wheelers like the one on CBE highway, but here they have left such a wide stretch!

This toll plaza is a bottleneck in itself. Here cash queues move faster than Fasttag queues !! A poorly designed toll plaza with non-functioning boom barriers

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2019 at 15:51. Reason: Removed embedded video from quoted post. Fixed quote tags.
Old 15th December 2019, 14:42   #30007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
The toll plaza designers and operators of the Krishnagiri toll seem to be high on some local weed. Usually there will be a side passage ONLY for 2 wheelers like the one on CBE highway, but here they have left such a wide stretch!
I think that wide lane is made for oversize loads which is seen quite often on this stretch.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 15:06   #30008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Pardon me if I am missing something here, but what is that you are blaming the truck drivers here for this particular accident. The video hardly provides any clue on how this accident happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
How are we sure that the accident is caused by the truck. Sorry, but you sound like our archaic law. .
Sorry that I did not elaborate, The forward that I got said the Seltos gave indicator to shift the lane as they wanted to stop at a shop on the opposite lane. The indicator was given and the car shifted the lane but because of 2 wheelers could not get inside the parking fast enough and the truck which was suppose to slow down/stop did no such thing and instead gave lights/honks.

According to the forward there was enough time for the truck to stop/slowdown and that the lane from which the car originated was filled with traffic so Seltos could not quickly integrate in it and the truck people have said its a case of wrong lane driving and they want their damages to be covered.

My thoughts are when you drive something with so much mass you have a responsibility, hell even people who drive those Innova/Scorpio/Etc Taxis have a responsibility to keep their mechanics in check. I have seen so many skidding "In Snow" taxis in Himachal because of worn out tyres. There can be endless debate on who is wrongfully prosecuted but have you ever heard of a car & truck/bus accident where the truck/car driver has died because I have not.

I have seen with my eyes a driver running away from a truck after crushing people on a bike with the pretense of going to pee. That truck driver must barely be 20-25.

Give liberty but not to the point of judicial blindness.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 17:22   #30009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry that I did not elaborate, The forward that I got said the Seltos gave indicator to shift the lane as they wanted to stop at a shop on the opposite lane. The indicator was given and the car shifted the lane but because of 2 wheelers could not get inside the parking fast enough and the truck which was suppose to slow down/stop did no such thing and instead gave lights/honks.
Just because you put on the indicator does not give you the right to turn the car into the opposite lane expecting the other guy to stop for you. The truck has right of way to keep going straight. Legally the truck driver can say that the car came into him.

It's another issue that morally, he should have stopped. It's common sense too.
samaspire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 17:58   #30010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nobody takes any notice of white stripes on a road. They may as well not be there.

I got a huge telling off as a child for not crossing a pedestrian crossing with proper care. And this was England where such things are respected and the law enforced. My protestation about crossings, my right of way, were totally rejected by dad. It was then that he taught me this rhyme...

he was right, dead right, as he toddled along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

It's a child. The responsibility is with adults, drivers and others. But the kids had to learn those important lessons too
Very true, sir. I often wonder why such things aren’t being stressed upon in Indian schools (speaking generally). Instead, unnecessary competitive stress is what we’re being put through (another topic in itself). Kids must be taught traffic rules that go beyond just which colour stands for what and that with power comes responsibility; for oneself and for others as well. Being ignorant is no excuse for doing something stupid and not expecting consequences.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:29   #30011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

According to the forward there was enough time for the truck to stop/slowdown and that the lane from which the car originated was filled with traffic so Seltos could not quickly integrate in it and the truck people have said its a case of wrong lane driving and they want their damages to be covered.

As per the video the Kia is in OPP lane, and you do not enter the opposite lane in face of oncoming traffic when you do not have a way out. So 2 wheeler not getting out of the way is also not an excuse.
Here you are blaming the truck, but imagine it was a biker who hit head on and got tossed over the Kia.
I travel 4000+ km on Indian highways every month, and have done it for over 28 years, I have stopped traveling Friday afternoon to Monday morning, as these are the days when people who have no driving sense throng the highways.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 10:03   #30012
BHPian

So the Seltos accident happened on an undivided two-lane road? It was trying to turn to the right to access a shop on that side? If these are true, then:

- the driver should have probably waited in his lane with right indicator on, and turned right only if the way is clear ( no oncoming traffic, and no obstructions on the turn that forces the car to be stranded mid-turn ). If this had happened, perhaps the accident would have been avoided. Of course it is another matter that people behind the car honk like crazy when you try to turn right in such scenarios - and I have seen many drivers getting into the opposite lane before a turn, probably either under pressure from behind or not being aware of the dangers involved in being in the opposite lane.

Dont know what the exact situation here. Its possible that the driver got under a bit of stress or probably was a bit careless, and got into oncoming lane without thinking too much.

p.s. turning right on undivided two-lane roads have been a point of debate with some of my friends while driving in Kerala ( quite a lot of instances of having to do that in Kerala ).

In my understanding, you indicate your intention to turn right much earlier, slow down gradually, and stop in your lane ( if there is a shoulder on the left, perhaps leave some space on the left for cars to go straight ). And then make your move when the lane ahead is clear.

In some cases I have avoided right turns altogether when the traffic is dense. It doesnt make sense to hold up traffic in such cases. I usually go further down and make a U-turn when convenient ( have happened a couple of times at least ).

But I have seen some drivers pull to the extreme left, leaving their original lane more or less free for through traffic, wait with the right indicators on, and then cut two lanes to the right when the opportunity comes ( nervous times sometimes ).

When I ask about this, the reply is that this is a safer approach as you are less likely to be rear-ended by less alert vehicles.

The Seltos accident suddenly reminded me of this situation. Perhaps the driver decided to take the turn too late, and then was under pressure to execute it and avoid over-running and missing the turn....

Last edited by Bigzero : 16th December 2019 at 10:05.
Bigzero is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:14   #30013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Only in India! Any comment? This happened in Uttarkhand a few days ago.
The only thing one can do is have a nice laugh. Well this is total absurdity and how can one treat humans as cattle herds and load them to the brim. This is disaster waiting to happen!
Old 16th December 2019, 12:25   #30014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Just because you put on the indicator does not give you the right to turn the car into the opposite lane expecting the other guy to stop for you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
As per the video the Kia is in OPP lane, and you do not enter the opposite lane in face of oncoming traffic when you do not have a way out. So 2 wheeler not getting out of the way is also not an excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
So the Seltos accident happened on an undivided two-lane road? It was trying to turn to the right to access a shop on that side? ..
This all was not impulsive there was quite a distance between the Seltos and the truck. The 2 wheelers were parked on the side and seltos did not get a place to park but saw a place just ahead sadly there was too less a time to reach there because the truck did not slow down and the car tried to park it before the truck came.

Most undivided road do not have designated areas for U turns so does that mean you can not take a U turn? While I dont agree with the method of how seltos tried to slip in but its a greater fault of the truck when it had ample time to slow down/stop ">10sec"
Old 16th December 2019, 12:35   #30015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car came under the truck to such an extent meaning high speed was involved. The problem with buses and trucks is that the driver sits on top and cares about sh*t. I have seen how these people react after killing people and they either run away or act like their father is the owner of India and its people.

We need rules that are reinforced and trucks/buses with driver cabins near the road like there are abroad. Even with the new traffic rules corruption is rampant and now instead of 1000-2000 they used to take now they take double.

Such instances make me question my motivations on buying a new car.

The car was on the wrong lane and you blame the truck driver? Turning on indicator means to state intention, it wouldn't give the driver the 'right' to do so. Did he even estimate that the truck driver would need more distance to stop depending on what speed the truck was coming in?

Many have already indicated what could have been a better way to make a turn and this scenario is very very common to most people using the roads.

Now, coming to the golden question: Why do truck drivers run away after crashing?
Simple answer: Most people assume/think the truck driver is at fault(exactly how you assumed here in this accident). They thrash them. Why would anyone want to get thrashed or beaten to a pulp? Its just they fear for their life. After all they are also people. Accidents are accidents. Let the law take care.

The day people start respecting the law and dont get into taking law in their own hand, most drivers wouldn't run away. In what I have seen, 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers err more than Truck drivers. Long haul truck drivers are best behaved and follow rules most of the time relative to cars/2 wheelers. I do agree the short haul trucks like haul sand and cement often employ inexperienced drivers and a menace.

Note: No offense meant in how you perceived things. My response is based on my experiences and what I have seen on highways in last 2 decades.

Last edited by funkykar : 16th December 2019 at 12:38.
funkykar is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks