Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 10:00   #406
BHPian

Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post
Allahabad->Kanpur->Jhansi->Sagar->Seoni->Nagpur->Hyderabad-> Bangalore Trip
Day 2 Road Pictures (Good Roads)

Here's a set of pictures for the good roads travelled on Day 2.
Thanks for the information through pics. I am still awaiting a detailed travelogue from your side.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 10:03   #407
BHPian

Allahabad->Kanpur->Jhansi->Sagar->Seoni->Nagpur->Hyderabad-> Bangalore Trip
Day 2 Road Pictures (Bad Roads)

Photos from the bad stretch of NH7 at Hinganghat.

The mega "Road Updates" thread-hinganghatnh701.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-hinganghatnh702.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-hinganghatnh703.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-hinganghatnh704.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-hinganghatnh705.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-hinganghatnh706.jpg

Photos from the bad stretch of NH7 at Pandharkwada.

The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh701.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh702.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh703.jpg

Pandharkwada: Notice the men working. Pot holes are being filled and the road being levelled which itself should be a "Big relief" for the travellers even if it takes some more time to tar. This was on 2nd Jan 2015, 2 weeks back there were no signs of this. Also noticed heaps of stone chips in many places in Pandharkwada which means some plans of improvement Pls bear with the bad quality of the pictures taken using cellphone camera from inside the shaking car.
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh704.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh705.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh706.jpg
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh707.jpg

Pathetic condition of a small bridge at Pandharkwada. Hope they will take care of this too.
The mega "Road Updates" thread-pandharkwadanh708.jpg

Last edited by BlackBerry : 6th January 2015 at 10:13. Reason: Want to add date.
BlackBerry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 10:07   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Thanks for the information through pics. I am still awaiting a detailed travelogue from your side.
Thanks Jose. I will stitch the pieces together and post. thanks also for your suggestion on the accommodation in Hyderabad (I could not avoid skipping Hyderabad for the Biryani is so good and my son simply loves it).
BlackBerry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 10:28   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jose. I will stitch the pieces together and post. thanks also for your suggestion on the accommodation in Hyderabad (I could not avoid skipping Hyderabad for the Biryani is so good and my son simply loves it).
Hope you enjoyed the biryani in PARADISE. Interested to know your experience with accommodation and the much famed ORR of Hyderabad (if you have used it).
Old 14th January 2015, 11:02   #410
BHPian

Guys, I am planning for a morning drive on the upcoming weekend to get away from the city traffic. I shall be starting from my home in Ramamurthy Nagar,Bangalore to Kolar-Bangarpet-Krishnagiri-Electronics city-Ramamurthy Nagar(via ORR). I just wanted to inquire about the road condition from Kolar to Krishnagiri via Bangarpet. Any quick references/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:24   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Guys, I am planning for a morning drive on the upcoming weekend to get away from the city traffic. I shall be starting from my home in Ramamurthy Nagar,Bangalore to Kolar-Bangarpet-Krishnagiri-Electronics city-Ramamurthy Nagar(via ORR). I just wanted to inquire about the road condition from Kolar to Krishnagiri via Bangarpet. Any quick references/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
I have done the Krishnagiri - Berigai - Bagalur many times. That road is always in good shape, particularly the KGF road stretch. I haven't been to Bangarpet from that side though.
Old 16th January 2015, 06:49   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Molar to bangarapet is in good shape, went to kgf recently, take molar bypass and you would see signboards for kgf, don't get off the road at kolar
Old 20th January 2015, 00:55   #413
BHPian

Here is an update on the road conditions of an unusual route I took on Jan 4, when travelling from Bhusawal (MH) to Bangalore. I have travelled between these cities either via Mumbai or via Hyderabad.

This time, since I was alone and wanted to be more adventurous, I just picked a route that went absolutely vertical: Bhusawal-Jamner-Sillod-Tembhurni-Jalna-Ambad-Beed-Osmanabad-Tuljapur-Solapur-Bijapur-Hungund-Hospet-Chitradurga-Bangalore.

Name:  Screen_Shot_20150105_at_12.20.11_AM.png
Views: 2426
Size:  270.0 KB

If it helps, here are some brief notes on each of the road segments (and video clips on some of them, couldn't get all as the earlier ones were overwritten):

Bhusawal-Jamner (30kms): The highway is potholed at the end points but good when away from the towns/villages. I could average 60-70kmph for the most part.

Jamner-Sillod (70kms): Average to bad surface quality with the ghats near Ajanta caves being very bad in road quality. Since it was early morning winter time, I encountered heavy fog on the whole stretch. Average speed was 30kmph but in normal times will be roughly 50kmph.

Sillod-Tembhurni-Jalna (70kms): As worse as it can get - varies from good road to poor surface to no roads. Average was again 30-40kmph.

Jalna-Ambad-Beed (100kms): Average road. Nothing enjoyable except the country side scenery all around. Average 60-70kmph. I stopped at a relatively cleaner restaurant Samrudhi about 40km from Beed. I hit bad luck when there was a huge traffic jam at Shivaji chowk in Beed. It lasted for 30 minutes!

Beed-Osmanabad (117kms): Good to excellent road for the most part. Averaged 90-100kmph on this road. Add to that the beautiful undulating scenery. It was big relief after the non existent roads that I had passed earlier.

Osmanabad-Solapur (68kms): Good to average roads. Speeds of 70-80kmph. Beautiful scenery all around, especially when bypassing Tuljapur. Crossing Solapur is a bit of a pain during the day. What's more, the two wheelers are going at something like 20kmph even if the road ahead is empty. I heaved a sigh of relief when I touched the Bijapur highway.

Solapur-Bijapur (100kms): Average road further marred by the heavy truck traffic on this route. As you near the Karnataka border, the traffic increases. Just after (or before) you enter the state, there is a huge goods check post with multiple lanes. Seeing something like this for the first time. Average speed 60-70kmph. Took break somewhere on this highway for lunch.

Bijapur-Hungund-Hospet (200kms): Phew, finally a 4-lane! And what a beautiful road. Newly laid, this stretch was a dream to drive on - excellent markings, signboards, low traffic. It suffices to say this was the fastest stretch in the whole journey.

Hospet-Chitradurga (127kms): A lot of us know about this and there is a whole thread on the route. Similar experience to the Solapur-Bijapur stretch. The videos will do the talking:

Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore (203kms): Again, enough said about this 6/4 lane stretch. The six lane stretch is fun to drive on.

I started at 3:15 am from Bhusawal and touched home in Bangalore at 9:30 pm, covering 1100 kms in roughly eighteen hours with breaks for breakfast, lunch and early dinner. This route runs through about 700kms of two lane roads and 400 kms of four/six lane roads. Needless to say, all two lane highways were peppered with villages and speed breakers all throughout. It was tiring at the end, but I'd say I loved it purely for the new places I got to see!

Credits: thanks to @paragsachania for answering a few of my queries before I embarked on this journey.
nileshch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 09:02   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Here is an update on the road conditions of an unusual route I took on Jan 4, when travelling from Bhusawal (MH) to Bangalore.
Nice update there Nilesh. How safe is the Jalna-Beed sector? I remember reading its quite desolate and not safe. (Hence my question).

And as you said, I think Solapur-Bijapur-Hospet-Chitradurga now slowly is becoming the arterial trucker's highway. It anyway was. Now I mean in terms of road development. I hope Solapur-Bijapur 4-lane also gets done. And so does Hospet-Chitradurga.
Old 20th January 2015, 10:24   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice update there Nilesh. How safe is the Jalna-Beed sector? I remember reading its quite desolate and not safe. (Hence my question).

And as you said, I think Solapur-Bijapur-Hospet-Chitradurga now slowly is becoming the arterial trucker's highway. It anyway was. Now I mean in terms of road development. I hope Solapur-Bijapur 4-lane also gets done. And so does Hospet-Chitradurga.
Thanks @ampere. I did not find any stretch between Jalna and Beed to be desolate. In fact there was some traffic on this route even at 6 in the morning. I did find some stretches between Sillod and Jalna to be away from civilization, primarily around the district borders. Travelling during the day time should be completely fine though.

Yes, the whole Solapur-Chitradurga stretch is a trucker's route. Last I read, the 4-laning contract for Solapur Bijapur has been awarded. So hopefully should see it in a couple of years.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:26   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Here is an update on the road conditions of an unusual route I took on Jan 4, when travelling from Bhusawal (MH) to Bangalore.

If it helps, here are some brief notes on each of the road segments
In the Video on Hospet Tunnel - I was shocked to see a Biker coming Opposite on the wrong side. You'd just come out of the Tunnel, and the eyes take some time adjusting the bright day light.

And that too the Biker came across, When you were concentrating on over taking the Truck. Crazy guys. Even though some of our roads have become World Class, with 4 lanes etc., the General Public is still not disciplined. These persons, not only harm themselves, but do harm to the Person, who's following traffic rules. Anything could've happened and even If you slam on the Brakes, the Vehicle behind you can come and hit. For some Idiot's mistakes, We've to suffer.
Old 20th January 2015, 17:33   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all. I reached Bangalore on Saturday evening after covering over 2k km in 3 days.
I had taken the route,
Allahabad > Kanpur > Jhansi > Sagar > Seoni > Nagpur > Adilabad > Hyderabad > Bangalore.
Had couple of night halts; first night at Sagar and the 2nd night at Hyderabad. Decided to extend the 2nd day journey and stay in Hyderabad as I wanted to pick up Biryani from Paradise the next day(son loves it).
Thanks JoseVijay for helping with the Hotels in Hyderabad.

Good News - 2nd bad stretch after Wadki (towards Pandharkawada), the road is being repaired. Potholes are being filled with stone-chips and tar. I will upload some pictures.
--------------------
Here's the Trip log (Allahabad to Bangalore)
So if I get it correctly, while going towards Jabalpur from Hyd, the Hingaghat stretch is still in a mess! For how many km's is that road in the same shape as the pics? Also, how long do you think it would take to do HYD- Jabalpur if I were to leave Hyd at 4am in the morning?

Cheers
Old 20th January 2015, 22:03   #418
BHPian

Hi folks,

I am planning a drive to Amritsar from delhi this weekend. Google maps suggests route via rohtak sirsa to amritsar as fastest even comparef to NH1.

Could anyone update which is the better bet given that we plan to leave around 5 AM?

Thanks in advance!

Sisu
Old 21st January 2015, 14:15   #419
D C
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Krishnagiri - Hogenakkal - Salem - Ulundurpet - Chennai Jan 2015

Updates from a recent weekend drive on - Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Hogenakkal - Salem - Yercaud - Salem - Ulundurpet - Chennai

Chennai - Krishnagiri @ 240 KMs (Road Condition - Average)

First 140 Kms are patched roads, some part of the highway do not have lane markings. At approximately 100 kms there is a new "Murugan Idly Shop" opened (a well know veg restaurant chain in Tamil Nadu). You wont probably miss this because of the large number of cars parked outside.

Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri @ 45 KMs (Road Condition - Great)
3 Lane highway, well marked with no patches. Took a right at Dharmapuri towards Hogenakkal

Dharmapuri - Hogenakkal @ 45 KMs (Road Condition - Good)

State Highway with no median. Roads are good with some patches occasionally. Watch out for locals laying Hay on the road.

Hogenakkal - Mecheri - Salem @ 85 KMs (Road Condition - Average)

Try to avoid this route. Roads are patched and narrow for long stretches and go through small towns and villages. This is the route suggested by Google maps and I followed. I suggest the Hogenakkal - Dharmapuri - Salem route through the NH 7, this will save a lot of time and energy.

Salem - Yercaud - Salem @ 30 KMs one way (Road Condition - Good)

The first 8 KMs are through the small city of Salem and road works are going on at some small stretches. The next 22 KMs goes up hill and roads are good and scenic with 20 hair pins.

Salem - Ulundurpet - Villupuram - Chennai @ 325 KMs (Road Condition - Great)

I normally take this route between Chennai and Salem, than the Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri route. This time I took the Krishnagiri route as that was shortest to Hogenakkal.
Salem Ulundurpet is a great stretch (125 KMs), with alternate stretches that are two way without a median and the traffic is less. The roads are well marked and sign boards are in place as appropriate.

Ulundurpet to Chennai through Villupuram is a 200 KMs multi-lane highway in great condition. Try to avoid reaching the Chennai in peak hours. I always plan to reach after 10 PM to avoid the traffic at Chengelpet, Vandalur etc.

Last edited by D C : 21st January 2015 at 14:18.
Old 21st January 2015, 19:18   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
So if I get it correctly, while going towards Jabalpur from Hyd, the Hingaghat stretch is still in a mess! For how many km's is that road in the same shape as the pics? Also, how long do you think it would take to do HYD- Jabalpur if I were to leave Hyd at 4am in the morning?

Cheers
1. Hinganghat stretch is about 20 km and was still in a mess as of 2nd Jan'15.
2. Hyd -> Jabalpur is about 800km +- 20km. Keep about 3 hours for the bad stretch of Pandharkawada and Hinganghat which is about 50km total. Remaining 750+ KM should take you about 10 hours with an average speed of 80KMPH. You should be able to do the entire stretch in about 13 + hours with breaks.

For me, I had maintained an average speed of 100KMPH on the good roads and it's not a big deal. I covered the good roads during evening and traffic was less but I was able to maintain 100 to 110 KMPH all through except for the bad stretch.

So if you start at 4 AM from Hyderabad, you should reach Jabalpur by 6-7 PM the same day.

Also note that the Pandharkawada stretch was being repaired when I crossed the section on 2nd Jan'15 (refer the pictures I posted of men at work filling pot holes). You may have a pleasant surprise.

When are you planning the trip?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks