Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 12:13   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

It looks like 6000 bucks. Thats crazy. I wonder if its worth it.
Old 16th February 2020, 16:22   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

I think it may be worth it for those who want regular IDPs. They issue it themselves, and do so with a smile.

Whether it is worth it for other services, I don't know.

Licence renewals only happen every few years. It probably very much depends on where one lives, but I don't find it a hassle to do this, in person, at my local RTO.
Old 18th February 2020, 11:34   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I got it clarified from them. Membership cost 7k, IDP 1.2K

So I guess it's worth for those who require yearly IDP(Local agents are quoting 5k anyway).

I am not sure about charges for license renewal and other RTO services
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:12   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I got it clarified from them. Membership cost 7k, IDP 1.2K

So I guess it's worth for those who require yearly IDP(Local agents are quoting 5k anyway).

I am not sure about charges for license renewal and other RTO services
Is it really that complex to get an IDP by yourself? I went recently and renewed my expired DL myself at the RTO, and once you know the process, it was actually okay.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:16   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it really that complex to get an IDP by yourself? I went recently and renewed my expired DL myself at the RTO, and once you know the process, it was actually okay.
Well, i have some complexities in my case. my DL and passport do not match (name, address change etc) and I might have to waste a day to get the work done. If everything is clean, it is a simple process as half the work is done online and you walk in with documents on appointment date.

In my case, my license is also due for renewal next year so if i combine these two items - the cost might be just even.

But i agree, membership cost is steep
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 17:56   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Well, i have some complexities in my case. my DL and passport do not match (name, address change etc)
I had my DL in booklet form and got expired in Jan 2020. Also the address was different from the current one. I got the local driving school to get it done. Got card type DL with current address but only my first name is mentioned as it was earlier.

My passport has first middle and last name. I told agent that I may go for IDP later and asked to get name as per passport. The agent told me name as in passport cannot be done for DL and for that I have to apply for new DL. She mentioned the IDP will bear the name as in passport.

Is this true?
Old 20th February 2020, 22:17   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I had my DL in booklet form and got expired in Jan 2020. Also the address was different from the current one. I got the local driving school to get it done. Got card type DL with current address but only my first name is mentioned as it was earlier.

My passport has first middle and last name. I told agent that I may go for IDP later and asked to get name as per passport. The agent told me name as in passport cannot be done for DL and for that I have to apply for new DL. She mentioned the IDP will bear the name as in passport.

Is this true?
IDP is just a translation of your DL and so i dont think IDP will be different from DL. Also IDP is useless without your actual DL and both are needed for driving.

Assuming the need to show the IDP never arises. I believe it should be easy to prove the photo in DL, passport(may be visa too) and IDP are all same
Old 27th February 2020, 14:18   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, that 7K or so (for AASI life membership) I spent a few years back is a lifesaver.

I must have got ~4 IDPs issued, one non-KA license renewed, one hypothecation removed and sold my Cruze (and made the buyer go through them). All this without stepping into any RTO or going through any touts.

VFM for me at least.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 15:47   #579
Senior - BHPian

Anybody heard about IDP from International Drivers Association?
I chanced upon them by chance and the initial impression looks promising. Especially for those of us who live in a different state than the one where the DL was issued.

There is no paperwork involved, not even uploading the DL scan. I suppose, the will pull the info based on the DL number entered. The pricing too seems reasonable and works out cheaper than the AASI membership.

The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread-screen-shot-20200426-3.38.37-pm.png

I am wondering if there is any catch. From their website, I see only this
Quote:
Our International Driver’s Permit is NOT VALID in Mainland China, Japan, South Korea North Korea and United States.
Has anyone here used their services? My DL is due for renewal in less than a year. Planning to try this post renewal.
Old 7th May 2020, 08:58   #580
Senior - BHPian

I was also exploring these options ( well the travel never happened) and found they are not legal bodies.

They only provide translation, you can only try luck hoping the cop accepts it.
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:04   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a printed IDP that the RTO provides? I applied for an IDP and got a hand written one issued which I think isnt going to meet my need. Is this the norm or did the RTO agent pull a fast one due to the time constraint I had?
Old 12th January 2021, 01:18   #582
Senior - BHPian

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has now enabledIndian citizens to renew their expired International Driving Permit (IDP) even when abroad.

Quote:
In a notification on January 7, the ministry said it will facilitate the issuance of International Driving Permit (IDP) for Indian citizens whose IDP has expired while they are abroad.

Prior to the notification, there was no mechanism for its renewal while citizens were abroad and their IDP had expired. With the amendment, Indian citizens will now be able to apply for renewal through the Indian Embassies / Missions abroad, from where these applications would come to the VAHAN portal in India, which will be considered by the respective RTOs. Once the applications get a clearance, the IDP would be couriered to the citizen at his/her address abroad by the respective RTOs.

The amendment also does away with the requirement of a Medical Certificate and a valid visa at the time of making the request for the IDP in India. The idea is that a citizen who has a valid driving licence should not have a requirement for another medical certificate. Further, there are countries where the Visa is issued on arrival or Visa is issued at the last moment: in such cases, VISA is not available when applying for the IDP in India before travel. Going forward IDP application can be made without the need for having a visa.
Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-abroad-419627
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:19   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has now enabledIndian citizens to renew their expired International Driving Permit (IDP) even when abroad.
I can only speak about one country, Britain. There, you can drive on a foreign licence and IDP for one year, after which you must get a British licence. So this is no use to the foreign resident at all. Might suit a globetrotter.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:58   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So this is no use to the foreign resident at all. Might suit a globetrotter.
Very true statement

Most countries do have this rule that as soon as you become a "resident" of that country, you must get a Driving permit issue by that country.

Some like UK allow a window of one year to do that.

But countries in Middle Ease doesn't give any "window". When you are on visit visa there you can drive a "Self Drive Rental" car with your IDP. The day you become a resident there, that privilege's gone and you can't drive there till you get a local license

Best Regards & Drive safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:06   #585
BHPian

I have a driving license issued by Telangana. My address on it is from Hyd. Can i use it to obtain a IDP from Mumbai RTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

But countries in Middle Ease doesn't give any "window". When you are on visit visa there you can drive a "Self Drive Rental" car with your IDP. The day you become a resident there, that privilege's gone and you can't drive there till you get a local license

As you seem to be in UAE which is the best self drive rental option in UAE?

Last edited by bharatbits : 23rd February 2021 at 15:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks