Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 08:29   #961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_mania View Post
i am new to this.what kind of work out should i perform and diet should i take to build muscle.currently im 5 feet 3 and 48 kgs
You have a similar case to me, I started gyming last year in July, i was 45.xx kgs at that time and 5"3' ( see pic in my profile , its 1 year old) , nearly the same statistics are yours. By nov end, i had reached 53kgs and now I'm at 55-56kgs.

The best start would be to join a gym asap with good trainer and dietitian, and I used to read articles from Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. , its very informative and one gets inspired too.

For more info and help you can PM me as I dont check this thread often.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:15   #962
BHPian

Oh I do I do I do

I was 56kg when I started, now I am 74kg, I take 2 protein shakes a day along with creatine, and I eat upto 6 times a day, small meals, just more often.

If you are in Mumbai, buy from 'Neulife', they are the best importers of supplements, I cannot trust the local grocery shops..heard a lot about fake supplements.

Anyone who has queries, go to Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site.
It will answer ALL your questions, truly fantastic site.
Old 13th March 2009, 12:09   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax View Post
Hi body builder gurujis,

I have a few Queries. I want to gain some weight but as I am working on a 24*7 basis I dont have time to go to the gym. Please let me know what exercise can I perform at home and what suppliments should I take that will have no side effects. Lso let me know the amount that I should take/day and the best time during the day to take those. Also let me know where I can get the suppliments.
I dont want to become a bodybuilder. Just want to gain around 6-7 kgs of weight
Hmpf!! lot of questions

BTW, m 5.10" and weight 59kgs
1. Unless you are blessed with awesome genetics = great bone structure + superb levels of hormones in your body, you WILL have to hit the weights. And the best way to do so is at a gym. If you can build a mini gym at your house - then fine. Otherwise there is very little that you can do at your home to build muscles.

2. Forget about supplements for at least one year.

3. And you cannot become a bodybuilder just like that. It takes years (sometimes decades of serious and dedicated efforts to become a bodybuilder)*

4. 6-7 kg of lean weight gain = muscular weight gain is almost at body building standards. And you training and diet also has to be at similar standards.

From your info - 5'10" height and 59 kg weight - you are an ectomorph, with extreme fast metabolism. Gaining muscles is gonna be a daunting task.
Be prepared for it. But the good thing is that you wont put on so much of fat during the mass increase.

* Disclaimer - the amount of hard work you will have to put it is inversely proportional to your genetics.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:11   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
I take 2 protein shakes a day along with creatine
Be careful to cycle creatine. Don't keep on taking it indefinitely.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:33   #965
BHPian

alpha1 - Wmax has not mentioned that he wants to be a bodybuilder he only wants to gain some weight so let's suggest him something which could help him to gain weight instead of explaining him about genetics, bone structure and all that stuff.

Wmax - Inorder to gain weight you need to first change your eating habits, Instead of 3 big meals a day start eating small & frequent meals(every 2 to 3hrs). Inculde lot of protein in your food i.e Chicken, Egg, Milk, Whole grain foods. I dont see any problem in taking a supplement but you need not try every supplement in store since you are not training at gym but you can stick to the basic i.e Whey protein powder which is made out of milk and you can take 2 scoops in a day. One scoop with your breakfast and one with your lunch or snack as per your choice and make sure you dont go hungry for a long time.

I understand your busy schedule but you need not spend hours at a gym, Even 1hr per day 3 to 4 days a week is enough. There is nothing much you could do at home and also you are new to this so would suggest you to join a gym incase you want to build some serious muscle otherwise just follow the diet as mentioned above.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:36   #966
BHPian

Red Circle - What Alpha1 has said is not only correct in all respects but extremely essential for anyone wantng to put on weight. The key here is to help him put on lean muscle mass, not just weight.

What you're suggesting is OK upto the protein part, but the "small and frequent meals" is totally incorrect. "small" meals are for people wanting to LOSE weight, not gain.
He will have to eat 6 LARGE meals in order to get his body in an anabolic state and he will have to include a fair amount of clean fat too ( something like a 40-40-20 meal plan)

Spending hours in the gym is not recommended for ANYONE unless you're training for an endurance event or are on steroids!

Not everyone needs to be a bodybuilder in order to put on weight the right way. I am in complete support and agreement with what Alpha1 has posted.

I really have no patience for people who give excuses like, "I have no time, no interest in weights ..." In that case, you don't deserve a good body or better health anyway!

Alpha1 is trying to educate wmax and education is the first step towards better health. Most people who follow advice blindly end up getting burned and at times even with long lasting or permanent damage. It is imperative to know WHY you're doing what you are!

Saying I want to gain weight/lose weight/get lean/whatever without willing to do what it takes is like saying I want a Lambo but I'll never service it and I don't have time to fill up fuel; YOU SIMPLY DON"T DESERVE ONE THEN!
Old 13th March 2009, 17:22   #967
Senior - BHPian

One of my subtle points was about ppl who say something like:

"Gah, but I don't wanna look like/become a bodybuilder."

My response: and you aint gonna be, unless you do all the *secret* stuff that they do (and have the perfect genetics to back it up).

You have to train thinking like a bodybuilder if you wanna put on even 500 grams of muscles.
You have to train with a power lifter's attitude if you have an aim of increasing 1 rep max by even 1 kg.

Gaining 6-7 kg of lean mass is no joke.
It would take at least one year of dedicated effort.
Of course if its plain 6-7 kilos, then all ya need to do is keep guzzling beer and eat french fries all the time.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th March 2009 at 17:25.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:32   #968
BHPian

Vikram18 - I am not saying what alpha mentioned is wrong ofcourse he is right and a person who is already into training/diet would understand it easily, in his suggestion i could not see what one has to do to gain weight as requested by Wmax and i tried to do it. As per Wmax he is new to the diet so i suggested him small frequent meals but rich in proteins so that it will help him to improve his metabolism and may be at a later point of time he can increase or decrease the quantity as per his requirement. For me its not the Quantity of food what matters but the Quality of food, if we suggest 6 large meals a day for a beginner he would end up eating anything insight which would finally lead him in gaining fat instead of muscle and moreover he is not into training.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:40   #969
Senior - BHPian

@Alpha and Vikram- Perfectly right analysis.
@wmax- You can go with whatever they had summarized. Also i personally feel if you want a proportionate body then you should do a bit of gym as well. And buddy 24/7 is a schedule 95% working people have on their sleeves still many do gymming and maintain a well toned body.
Its a passion,once you start you'll know.
Cheers!
Old 13th March 2009, 20:04   #970
BANNED

I am ectomorphic with extreme metabolism. I weigh about 56 kilos and stand at 5'7". As for as I can remember I have been like this since my college days- I am in mid 30s now.

The weight scale for my height comes to about 65 kilos and I have tried multitude of things over this time to enhance my weight but never could change my weight, like its set in stone!
I went to gym, consumed eggs (I am a vegetarian), gobbled rich chocolates, butter products, sweets- no change!
I tried whey protein supplements when in US for 6 months - no change!
I consumed beer more frequently - no change!

It just doesn't add up whatever I do; neither muscle nor fat, maybe some bodies are just resistant to weight gain like how some can't loose weight.
I was an athlete in the past and have a toned body though very slim.

Last edited by zaks : 13th March 2009 at 20:08.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:19   #971
BHPian

Zaks, go to a Neulife store and buy "Pro gainer complex", 60G protein per scoop with 550 or so calories, you will gain the weight soon, you won't gain fat if you keep exercising, just some bulk. Take 2 daily, 1 as early breakfast, other after workout.
Oh and don't do cardio for a few months, and don't forget to train legs.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:06   #972
Senior - BHPian

@ Zaks > there is a saying . you cannot make a great dane out of a pom. Both are good in their own ways. Exceed and excel within your genetic limits.
Good luck.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:11   #973
BHPian

Quote:
and don't forget to train legs.
The reason to train legs - some of the largest muscles including the longest tendon iliotibial band (ITB) are in the legs. Exercise especially of the larger muscles causes our bodies to release growth hormone (Growth hormone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), the functions of which is anabolic or build up of our body. Ofcourse eating proteins and deep sleep also releases growth hormone and hence they say workout lots, eat well (acceptable amounts of protein) and sleep well to have a great body. This is what natural professional bodybuilders do

Ofcourse eating dangerous levels of proteins (and overdosing on supplements) and working out beyond your limits can cause more harm than good. So will steroids or growth hormone supplements!! As mentioned by Jaysmokesleaves above stay in your genetic limits and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by jassi : 13th March 2009 at 21:13.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:19   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
It just doesn't add up whatever I do; neither muscle nor fat, maybe some bodies are just resistant to weight gain like how some can't loose weight.
feel lucky (so do I).

as you get older, you will thank yourself not putting extra weight on weakening muscles, bones and joints.

keep activities going though, to keep yourself fit.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:33   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
OT

@godog

By any chance do you watch "How I met your mother ?"

This sounded like a typical Barney dialog from there !!
No Abhijit. Will watch it now; and look out for "Barney".

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
The best start would be to join a gym asap with good trainer and dietitian, and I used to read articles from Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. , its very informative and one gets inspired too.

For more info and help you can PM me as I dont check this thread often.
Yes yes!! Birds of a feather! This part is most underplayed; that of eliciting motivation from a trainer/ partner; in achieving the physique desired.

Quote:
Oh I do I do I do

Anyone who has queries, go to Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site.
It will answer ALL your questions, truly fantastic site.
Do check out the forum there as well. But keep a pinch of salt handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
3. And you cannot become a bodybuilder just like that. It takes years (sometimes decades of serious and dedicated efforts to become a bodybuilder)*

* Disclaimer - the amount of hard work you will have to put it is inversely proportional to your genetics.
NO!! You got a thin structure/fast metabolism, good. You may get a 5% here and there (putting in the same amount of effort as a not so genetically blessed person)but thats about it!! No1 can take it easy. (I know, i have "bodybuilding genetics")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Wmax - Inorder to gain weight you need to first change your eating habits, Instead of 3 big meals a day start eating small & frequent meals(every 2 to 3hrs). Inculde lot of protein in your food i.e Chicken, Egg, Milk, Whole grain foods. I dont see any problem in taking a supplement but you need not try every supplement in store since you are not training at gym but you can stick to the basic i.e Whey protein powder which is made out of milk and you can take 2 scoops in a day. One scoop with your breakfast and one with your lunch or snack as per your choice and make sure you dont go hungry for a long time.
After years of supplements, I finally bowed down to the cliches. "stick to the basics" + "a lot of protein" should be= Loads of chicken/mutton/fish/meat of your choice (-Beef, for fat content). But marketing, the way it is, leads us to believe the only way to do that is by consuming hyper duper super whey protein in ICE-CREAM vanilla flavour!! Now i try to consume more than a kilo of mutton in a day, and by golly you wouldn't believe the pumps i get! I'm going to try and up that intake, while I reduce my dependence on dabbas. To a single scoop of WPI in a day, Post workout.
To this day, I haven't come across many who train and eat the way I do. If someone could ratify these, i'd give you a jhappi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I am ectomorphic with extreme metabolism. I weigh about 56 kilos and stand at 5'7". As for as I can remember I have been like this since my college days- I am in mid 30s now.

I consumed beer more frequently - no change!

I would give my chichi finger to get that metabolism

Quote:
Zaks, go to a Neulife store and buy "Pro gainer complex", 60G protein per scoop with 550 or so calories, you will gain the weight soon, you won't gain fat if you keep exercising, just some bulk. Take 2 daily, 1 as early breakfast, other after workout.
Oh and don't do cardio for a few months, and don't forget to train legs.
I guess you're referring to ON's PGC? Have you tried it yourself? I have had people just leaving their half eaten 5lb jars of ON's stuff at the gym (for daan?). If its THAT bad, its that bad!?
Personally I'm really off the "Gainer" concept. I have a gym-buddy who used to be 48kgs, and yearned for "body weight". The last time I saw him, at 74 kilos, he held up his paunch and said "Yaar, ye ghataana hai" (Bud, need to reduce this).

And SQUAT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
The reason to train legs....

.... Ofcourse eating proteins and deep sleep also releases growth hormone and hence they say workout lots, eat well (acceptable amounts of protein) and sleep well to have a great body. This is what natural professional bodybuilders do

Ofcourse eating dangerous levels of proteins (and overdosing on supplements) and working out beyond your limits can cause more harm than good. So will steroids or growth hormone supplements!! As mentioned by Jaysmokesleaves above stay in your genetic limits and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
1.As explained above, if you base your diet on primarily consuming proteins (naturally occuring), the body gradually adapts and accepts this. Naturally occuring proteins will not be dangerous as long as you chew them (and stop when feeling full).

2. Your limits are in your mind. "Overtraining" is nothing but "undereating". If you eat enough, you can't possibly overtrain. Guaranteed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks