Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 13:34   #2521
BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I too have positive experience with Paytm so far.
I bought a RC Helicopter from them which worked fine for 2-3 days after that it started to give problems. I opened a complaint with Paytm and after a day they replied that they will arrange reverse pickup for the item and refund me the amount. They got it picked up quickly and issued the refund on the same day even before the item reached the seller.
Again I bought a cheap electric kettle from them. On arrival I found that the item is to be of very poor quality. I opened a return request which got approved today and I'm waiting for the pickup.
Paytm has improved a lot from their initial days. It looks like they are on the right track.
BTW they have a customer care no. (mobile no.) I forgot the no. but it is there on their site.
I am unable to find any contact no. on their site. There was a no. on the package but it keeps the call on hold for more than 5 minutes and nobody picks it up. Tried it multiple times.
Old 20th November 2014, 16:23   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People, our lives, loves, births and deaths, as well as our music and movies, are documented on our computers these days: Keep backups. Buy two additional external drives, keep one at the office or at the house of a friend/relative and make sure that they are never more than a week or two (or whenever you add something important) out of date.
I backup all my photos and videos to the cloud. Can't trust any physical media nowadays. CDs stop working, hard disks crash, flash drives go bad. Skydrive, dropbox, google drive..... All free.
Old 20th November 2014, 21:16   #2523
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I trust the cloud least of all! Use for convenience only, not for data security. For that, the data must be in your hands.
Old 20th November 2014, 21:32   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Well said T E G however none but a few from our generation (max early 80s born) will understand what you are emphasising. Cloud dependancy is increasing exponentially. Currently my nephew who has started middle school uploads all his school work on cloud from where the teachers access it and reload after checking etc. I am citing this just to show the penetration levels. With usage come increased comfort levels & subsequent addiction. Our young man has uploaded all info that he deems relevant on to the cloud. As he and those of his generation grow up their dependency will only strengthen.

Quote:
Actually, I trust the cloud least of all! Use for convenience only, not for data security. For that, the data must be in your hands.
Old 21st November 2014, 02:46   #2525
Distinguished - BHPian

If I was still working, I would not have even given appointments to cloud salesmen, and I would not have felt able to answer to the annual audit if our primary data had been in the "cloud."

Actually, though, I really wanted to use internet an backup service, for convenience, but it (and the necessary bandwidth) was too expensive then. There would have still been tapes, though.
Old 21st November 2014, 11:20   #2526
BHPian

So DONE with Amazon.in

Another case to truly lacklustre customer service by Amazon.in

Order Placed on - 15-Oct-2014
Delivery estimate- 24-Oct-2014

When I had not received material by 30th Oct, I called up customer care and told them to cancel the order and picked up the material locally.

But inspite of that, a courier person arrives at my doorstep today with the parcel! Delivery attempt - 21-Nov-2014

I'm so done with them now.

The Online Shopping Thread-a1.jpg
The Online Shopping Thread-a2.jpg
Old 21st November 2014, 11:43   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I was still working, I would not have even given appointments to cloud salesmen, and I would not have felt able to answer to the annual audit if our primary data had been in the "cloud."
I have felt the same. The problem is solution for long term archive. CD/DVDs last for couple of years. External storage lasts for 5 to 10 years. Whats beyond that? There is no long term storage solution available. Another problem is reading back. Say if I back up on DVDs, will DVD reader be available later after many years?

I think the solution could be cloud storage. Let somebody else bother about storage. Service such as Amazon Glacier is really cheap, just $0.01 per GB (that is 60 paisa per GB per month). I think many can afford that.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:17   #2528
BHPian

I use Carbonite online backup for all the content I have on my systems. A couple of months ago, my Dell Inspiron died just like that. It had years of photos, videos and other important data. Thanks to Carbonite, I could get it all back in a couple of weeks on my new laptop.

While I agree that cloud has privacy issues, for a normal user like me, it is still a great avenue to store stuff securely and more or less permanently. I don't trust my hard disk. I don't trust the external hard disk either.

The Backup Rule states that you should have three copies of everything on your system. One is the original. Second copy should be on a different drive. Third copy should be offsite. Cloud serves really well as an offsite backup location.

With OneDrive now offering "unlimited storage" - it is a great place to backup all your data - and I think we can trust that Microsoft will be in this business for a long time to come. So there shouldn't be any concerns on that business folding up with our data.

Just my couple of cents. (If this is off topic in this thread, please feel free to take action on this post.)
Old 21st November 2014, 19:35   #2529
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Pre-ordered Downton Abbey Series 5 from Amazon.co.uk around a month ago. Scheduled release date November 17th.

I was charged for it on 17th Nov.
It arrived at my house today, just in time for the weekend.

Im collecting this series amongst several others and I almost always buy from Amazon.com (US) or Amazon.co.uk

Frankly, they are in a class apart from anyone else, in terms of quality, selection and service.

I am happy to state that I, for one, am an Amazon aficionado and loyalist.
Old 21st November 2014, 20:57   #2530
Senior - BHPian

The B&M retailers simply can't win:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...n-4-90-n251831

(This is in the US)
Old 21st November 2014, 22:28   #2531
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I tend to order and find Sale or deal just got over.

How do you track any offer Sale or get info of Sale.

Removed twitter app from phone as it was a little annoying.

Also curious as Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming.

Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2014, 00:34   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I tend to order and find Sale or deal just got over.

How do you track any offer Sale or get info of Sale.

Removed twitter app from phone as it was a little annoying.

Also curious as Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming.

Thanks.
Check out - www.buyhatke.com You may also install their extension for Google Chrome. Set & Track price of a product.

For Mobiles/Tablets/Laptops - check www.91mobiles.com Very good site for product comparison with prices from different portals + Price drop alert
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:00   #2533
Senior - BHPian

The jacket I ordered from AliExpress on 10/10/14 was delivered on the 31st of October. Just that the details were updated today.

But,

To the wrong person! The tracking details say it was delivered to someone in Maruti Sevanagar. :O

Either way, AliExpress froze the order and eventually refunded the amount due to suspicious seller activity.

But since the product was already in Bangalore by the time this happened, I expected to receive the item. But what can I do now? I really like the jacket! :P
Old 24th November 2014, 07:01   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Last week saw me bite my ego and give Amazon another chance. ( I had vowed to myself I wont buy ever from them, after they goofed up big time on my previous order). This time - it was a Prestige Mixer Grinder. Couldn't help it since the price was sooooo low.

Thankfully, it was a great experience. Delivered exactly on the date committed. This time, the delivery was through Amazon Transportation Services. Happy now with this experience. Need to buy a Lumia phone, will go back to them again I guess.
Old 24th November 2014, 07:20   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Need to buy a Lumia phone, will go back to them again I guess.

Don't. Lumia phones are usually cheaper offline. I bought a Lumia 730 for ₹13500 right after the launch and it was around ₹15k online. However, some of the older models might be cheaper online.

Cheers
amansanc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks