Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 11:38   #931
BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Took 5 year AMC for additional 18k which will fully cover the unit for any issue or regular services. Peace of mind for next 5 years no haggling with service guys in changing filters/pipes etc. The same person who fitted the RO is assigned to work on it for next 5 years, he gave a card with his photo ID which is attached with the RO.
Looks neat and classy. I wanted to go for it but didn't get a go-ahead from the better half. Also, I think you got a 5 star installation/after sales service. Mines was simple drilling, pipe and filter fixing service. He didn't even wait for the tank to get filled and did not utter a word about the service. After reading your post, I replied to their SMS with 1

How did you purchase AMC ? And did he check the PPM ? Whats the current level ? I am getting PPM level 10 ( Bisleri is 68 when I checked) and there is no way to adjust PPM it seems. What are your thoughts ?
Old 17th June 2020, 14:36   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Also, I think you got a 5 star installation/after sales service. Mines was simple drilling, pipe and filter fixing service. He didn't even wait for the tank to get filled and did not utter a word about the service.
The service basically depends on person to person, maybe in my case the service guy was well informed and passionate.
He waited till the complete installation and even checked all 3 water output for hot, cold and normal. Explained the complete functioning of the model and strictly told that no one else from LG will touch the RO for next 5 years and gave the card(attached) as well.
The best thing was he convinced my mother that this is the best unit from LG and moreover no need to worry about mineral booster based on our current TDS value.

He visited twice for the installation as it required few extra pipe and some other fitting stuff.
Due to current covid situation I asked him if he could get it himself from market the next day and he was fine with that. He didn't even charged for the same.

Quote:
How did you purchase AMC ?
I purchased it at the same time I bought the RO from the LG showroom.

Quote:
And did he check the PPM ? Whats the current level ?
Yes he checked the readings three times. First he checked the direct tap water reading i.e the source for RO. The reading was somewhere near about 900-1000 if I remember correctly. Then he checked the reading of my old RO before installation it was around 120-130. Final reading from the newly installed LG RO came out to be 70.

Quote:
I am getting PPM level 10 ( Bisleri is 68 when I checked) and there is no way to adjust PPM it seems. What are your thoughts ?
I guess PPM level 10 is way to less not an expert but what he said it should be less than 100 and greater than 40. Maybe experts can comment what should be the recommended PPM level.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended water purifier?-ro3.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 12:12   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Hello guys,

I have a Kent Grand star RO purifier. It is almost one year now and close to end of its warranty period....

Also is it advisable to leave the unit on 24 hours or just turn it off once the tank is full and restart it once a lot of water is drawn/tank is empty?
Reverse Osmosis membrane expands every time water is pushed through it at osmotic pressure and contracts back when water flow is stopped. In large scale plants these membranes even suck back the permeate water from the pipeline, creating vacuum and it is a major problem.

Hence, it is advisable to minimize start-stop, thereby reducing number of 'shocks' to the membrane. This will enhance the life of the membrane considerably. Leaving it on is not at all advised.

Best practice is, switch on the system, fill the tank and switch off. Keep drawing water and when water level near bottom, switch on again, fill and switch off.

I practice this on my Dr.Aquaguard Magna and the membrane lasted 3 years with daily 7 liters consumption.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 18th June 2020 at 12:14.
RajaTaurus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 12:21   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

I guess PPM level 10 is way to less not an expert but what he said it should be less than 100 and greater than 40. Maybe experts can comment what should be the recommended PPM level.
I donot know which RO model you have but the stainless steel tank models of LG have fixed TDS. They reduce the TDS by 10 times. If you have ground water supply of 1000 TDS then the RO will bring down the TDS to 100. If you have input water TDS of 100 LG RO will reduce it to 10. I had inquired about the same at LG customer care before I was about to buy the stainless steel RO model of LG. After hearing the TDS reduction by factor 10, I had to buy Kent plastic model.
Old 18th June 2020, 16:35   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I donot know which RO model you have but the stainless steel tank models of LG have fixed TDS. They reduce the TDS by 10 times. If you have ground water supply of 1000 TDS then the RO will bring down the TDS to 100. If you have input water TDS of 100 LG RO will reduce it to 10. I had inquired about the same at LG customer care before I was about to buy the stainless steel RO model of LG. After hearing the TDS reduction by factor 10, I had to buy Kent plastic model.
The RO membrane 'permits' a particular size of molecules to pass to the other side by reverse osmosis technique, which is called permeation.
If a membrane gives output if 100 ppm TDS for a 1000 ppm Input, it will still give nearly the same 100 ppm TDS output for a 100 ppm input TDS. There is no % reduction of salts based on input. Only the recovery rate will vary in terms of 'volume' of product vs reject.
RajaTaurus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 10:43   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Reverse Osmosis membrane expands every time water is pushed through it at osmotic pressure and contracts back when water flow is stopped. In large scale plants these membranes even suck back the permeate water from the pipeline, creating vacuum and it is a major problem.

Hence, it is advisable to minimize start-stop, thereby reducing number of 'shocks' to the membrane. This will enhance the life of the membrane considerably. Leaving it on is not at all advised.

Best practice is, switch on the system, fill the tank and switch off. Keep drawing water and when water level near bottom, switch on again, fill and switch off.

I practice this on my Dr.Aquaguard Magna and the membrane lasted 3 years with daily 7 liters consumption.
Thank you for this explanation!.

Earlier I had a Zero-B which will start with its purification and water filling the tank as soon as the water level reduces. So in that case I can understand, the fallouts of the quick start and again quick stop.

Now with this Kent machine I have now, the water purification and water filling of the tank does not start until a couple of litres is taken. So do you think even with this kind of a mechanism (where the start stop does not happen), switching off the unit is better or does not matter in this case?
Old 19th June 2020, 11:24   #937
Senior - BHPian

^^Of course, Kent system is better than instant start/stop. Fill tank, switch off, empty, switch on, fill - this is best cycle. Kent system is a compromise between the two and is automatic. So it is better for convenience.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 20:29   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post

Any other system I could go for, which wastes less water? I don't mind going DIY for the service/ filter changes if they are available online/ in market. What worries me rather is the electronics failing, or the filter body breaking
I bought Aquaguard NRICH in April 2019. Touchwood it's been reliable and working well.
The service engineers in Bangalore promptly called up and came for 2 free checkups. Haven't taken their AMC which is priced at 5800 & 11300 for 12 and 24 months respectively. Water wastage is around 2 litre per litre purified. Our daily usage is around 10 litres - hence the 7 litre tank is filled twice a day and is shut down. A bucket collects the drain water and is used for daily chores.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 22:28   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I bought Aquaguard NRICH in April 2019. Touchwood it's been reliable and working well.
The service engineers in Bangalore promptly called up and came for 2 free checkups
Thanks for the response, the product is not available either on Amazon or Eureka Forbes or Croma, but looks quite premium. My wife actually was showing this on the website today itself (she is Eureka Forbes fan).

Today I went to Croma to check out the purifiers and seems they have a tie-up with OnSiteGo and AMC cost is 1700-1800 per year which includes filters, part replacement, and extended warranty (can extend upto 2 years). Anyone has any experience about this service since it looks quite tempting (although filters + membrane cost is even lesser, I can DIY which looks simple enough). AMC through company costs 4-6k depending upon the brand
Going via this route leaves me with not worrying about company not providing proper service/ parts since it it OnSiteGo's headache - they have an SLA of 14 days or replacement of product too.

Anyone has any idea about Brita 6S /7S ? They claim to reduce water rejection and have stainless steel tank too. Coming from a very renowned brand, it seems like a good option.
Old 5th July 2020, 01:52   #940
BHPian

1. If RO also removes virus and bacteria why is UV required after RO. Assuming no TDS controller mixing of water.

2. UV rays are a known mutagen. Can they instead of killing organism in water actually mutate it making it even more dangerous/incurable.

3. Can UV rays cause degeneration of plastic handling water causing carcinogenic compounds to be created. In LG water filters UV is only used during the storage of purified water. Can UV rays cause degeneration of the plastic lid of the stainless steel tank. I am not sure how the UV LED is mounted in LG storage tank, but let us assume an ideal case that it is pointed downwards towards the stainless steel tank, still some amount of UV will reach the lid through reflection etc. causing degeneration of the plastic. Water in the storage tank will evaporate and then collect on the lid and fall back causing contamination.
Old 18th July 2020, 18:18   #941
Senior - BHPian

We have this Bluestar Majesto RO+UV at home. The unit was working fine since 2017. The UV lamp conked off couple of days back. Thanks to renewed lockdown can't call service personnel. We don't have AMC. So, I opened the unit myself today and found that UV lamp is a standard Philips 11w. I ordered that on Amazon. Am also thinking to change all the filters together as the unit is opened already.

Recommended water purifier?-img_20200718_132951.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20200718_133031.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20200718_133306.jpg

Can someone advise me are these filter candles pretty generic and interchangeable? I see many "universal RO service kit" listed on amazon but not sure which will fit in place. Bluestar being uncommon water purifier brand I don't find much google hits too.

Appreciate any tips.

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 18th July 2020 at 18:25. Reason: syntax
Old 18th July 2020, 18:30   #942
BHPian

Don’t know if this has been discussed. NGT has requested for banning the household RO systems where the TDS levels are at 500ppm

Quote:
NGT had earlier said the delay in compliance with its order is causing harm to public health and environment and it be complied with expeditiously.
The National Green Tribunal Tuesday directed the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) to issue by the year-end a notification banning RO purifiers where total dissolved solids (TDS) in water are below 500 milligrams per litre.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel granted more time to MoEF after it informed the tribunal that the exercise could not be completed due to coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Source
Old 18th July 2020, 18:58   #943
Senior - BHPian

When I see all these filters, the mi unit quite appeals to me. You have just three filters (and regardless of 'lockdown'), one just replaces that particular filter without having to call 'service'. Seems simple really. Is anyone using this system here? Any reviews? I'm asking because the Kent service guy arrived home, replaced all the filters (around 5 filters in total) and charged me 4,500 today. Last change was 8 months back. The mi unit costs 11K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Am also thinking to change all the filters together as the unit is opened already.
Attached Images

Old 19th July 2020, 19:40   #944
BHPian

After going crazy doing research i finally settled on LG WW 151 NP. Bought it online on reliancedigital.in. The filter was delivered next day. Was manufactured in June 2020. Full marks to reliance digital on prompt delivery, genuine and newly manufactured product. Called LG customer care. The technician came and installed it free of cost. Plus LG has free maintenance/filters for 1 year. Total cost was 20.5K after discount. MRP is 25.5 K.
Old 22nd July 2020, 23:37   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
When I see all these filters, the mi unit quite appeals to me. You have just three filters (and regardless of 'lockdown'), one just replaces that particular filter without having to call 'service'. Seems simple really. Is anyone using this system here? Any reviews?
Is there any other brand which provides similar DIY kind of filter replacement? I haven't found any except Mi but family isn't willing to accept any more chinese intrusion in household. Looking for simple arrangement which is devoid of any plastic pipes and doesn't need any tantrum throwing mechanics to replace filters. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks