Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2008, 14:01   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Charlie Wilson's War
Rating:4/5
Cast: Tom Hanks, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julia Roberts -all the three are oscar winners.
This movie is a two-hour crash course on diplomacy for me. Entertaining as well.
Based on a true story. Must watch for movie buffs.
Old 19th May 2008, 00:06   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Watched Cloverfield yesterday.......although it had all the elements of a typical monster movie (giant monster/creature attacking a city) but still it was different.
The handheld camera thingy was cool plus the ending was different as well.
Just watched Cloverfield. I usually hate monster movies, but Cloverfield was really enjoyable. Very realistic, and the style of first-person narrative puts you right in the middle of things. And there is no background story and no closure narrative: IT happened, and IT ended. The why, how, where from etc. about the creatures are not known, exactly as it would be, if we were suddenly attacked, and were running for our lives, with nobody knowing anything. And the speed and finality of certain things happening (can't mention -- spoilers) really hit hard.

I liked the ending too. Exactly the way it should have ended, IMO. I just feel that they should not have shown the monster in whole at all. Not having been able to see it whole would have added/enhanced the terror-factor of "the unknown".

Hats off to JJ Abrams for shooting the movie this way (First-person narrative, seen through a hand-held cam) with unknown actors. Though this style isn't completely new (Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch Project etc.), this style really suited the subject matter, enhancing the fear of the unknown and the total immersion in chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Saw Miller's Crossing as well. Was nice but not great as IMDB suggests. Maybe that's because I didint have subtitles.
One of my favourite movies!
Old 19th May 2008, 00:26   #1083
BHPian

Try this one out :

Silent Hill

Best watched via BluRay on full hd plasma , one of the best bluray production releases ever.

Just watched 28 days later + 28 weeks later , real nice 4 th time i watched them AND Resident Evil :-some of the best "Zombie" movies .
Try :-
The Power Of Nightmares
if you want something educational

Last edited by cyneverdie : 19th May 2008 at 00:31.
Old 19th May 2008, 00:44   #1084
Senior - BHPian

@ Hydra - Yup.....the director did a brilliant job.!

BTW nice review and iv noticed that generally we have the same reviews.
Old 19th May 2008, 02:23   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Just saw "Ordinary Decent Criminal"
Fantastic film about a clever and witty thief who commits robbery, sometimes, just for the fun of it. Great hollywood masala movie set in Ireland with Master actor Kevin Spacey and the luscious Linda Fiorentino in the lead. (she reminds me of the ravishing Sophia Loren). Kevin Spacey never ceases to impress me with the variety of diverse roles he has played. A must watch.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:10   #1086
BHPian

hydrashok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
One of my favourite movies!
Maybe I need to watch it again buddy.

Next in line is City of God with subtitles. Took a looong time to figure out how to burn a DVD with subtitles.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:27   #1087
BHPian

Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

Lesson to learn: The way to a chick's heart is to break a jewellery showroom glass for her when you first see her
Thanks dude.. Lesson learned. Anyways as for me i saw Speed Racer this weekend. I still can’t answer myself on the haunting question that in my head. “ Why did I pay for the movie”
Left the theater in like 40 mins. Couldn’t tolerate a single second after that. BTW this coming from the guy who has seen movies (completely) like Bichoo , No Smoking & Mithya.
If you are a cartoon buff and like the floopy character from spy kids then you might like it.
0/5 from my side
Old 19th May 2008, 15:02   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Maybe I need to watch it again buddy.

Took a looong time to figure out how to burn a DVD with subtitles.
Would you like to enlighten this ignorant soul with your secret formula (of burning DVDs with Subtitles) too?
Old 19th May 2008, 15:23   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Watched the movie Shooter on HBO on sat. Awesome is the thing i would love to say about it. The way they thrill you with this guys ability to shoot is awesome. Was the first movie where they show a time lag between the time he shoots and the bullet hitting the target.

For all guys who love movies with guns this is a must watch. Performances are good especially by the FBI agent who helps Mark Walberg.
3.5/5
Old 19th May 2008, 15:41   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Shooter is an excellent movie with a fantastic performance by Mark Wahlberg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
For all guys who love movies with guns this is a must watch. Performances are good especially by the FBI agent who helps Mark Walberg.
The agent's name in the movie is Nick Memphis.
Old 19th May 2008, 15:58   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Would you like to enlighten this ignorant soul with your secret formula (of burning DVDs with Subtitles) too?
I use DVDflick. It is a bit time consuming that the others, but it is free and does the job with subtitles. Google it up.
Old 19th May 2008, 18:52   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
...The way they thrill you with this guys ability to shoot is awesome. Was the first movie where they show a time lag between the time he shoots and the bullet hitting the target.

For all guys who love movies with guns this is a must watch. ...
Shooter was a nice movie, but my all-time favourite sniper movie is Enemy at the Gates. Based on the most well-known battle between two snipers at Stalingrad (most of the "legend" is true, apparently).

Other really good Sniper movies, or movies with a bit of good Sniping action:

1) Saving Private Ryan (one member of the search party is a good sniper, and there are a few sniping scenes and a nice counter-sniping scene)
2) Full Metal Jacket (great sequence with an enemy sniper towards the end)
3) Sniper (I hated the sequels so won't mention them)
4) SpyGame (just a bit in the beginning, but good enough for me)
5) Assassins (not much, but enough)
6) Behind Enemy Lines (a sniper hunts Owen Wilson)
7) The Bourne Movies (Kirill the sniper in Bourne Supremacy has little screen time, but he does well. The Teacher/Professor in Bourne Identity is also pretty good. These two guys made better impression on me than Bourne did as far as sniping was concerned. Bourne is a close-quarters-battle guy, should give up sniping, heh heh)

The other movies with snipers like Day of the Jackal, The Jackal, JFK, Phone Booth etc. don't have too much really going for them, as far as true-blue sniping action is concerned

OT: I used to be really obsessed with the creed of the Sniper at one point of time. Back then, I could reel off the stats of the best sniping rifles (MOA, range, caliber, ammo etc), scopes and even tripods, silencers and such I read up a whole lot on sniping, even read sniping training manuals and stuff. "Hydrashok" started off as a Sniper in the Delta Force online gaming servers

Last edited by hydrashok : 19th May 2008 at 18:54.
Old 19th May 2008, 19:04   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other really good Sniper movies, or movies with a bit of good Sniping action:

1) Saving Private Ryan (one member of the search party is a good sniper, and there are a few sniping scenes and a nice counter-sniping scene)
2) Full Metal Jacket (great sequence with an enemy sniper towards the end)
3) Sniper (I hated the sequels so won't mention them)
4) SpyGame (just a bit in the beginning, but good enough for me)
5) Assassins (not much, but enough)
6) Behind Enemy Lines (a sniper hunts Owen Wilson)
7) The Bourne Movies (Kirill the sniper in Bourne Supremacy has little screen time, but he does well. The Teacher/Professor in Bourne Identity is also pretty good. These two guys made better impression on me than Bourne did as far as sniping was concerned. Bourne is a close-quarters-battle guy, should give up sniping, heh heh)

The other movies with snipers like Day of the Jackal, The Jackal, JFK, Phone Booth etc. don't have too much really going for them, as far as true-blue sniping action is concerned
Hydra!! Thanks for sharing the names of all sniping movies....Time to download cheers:
Old 19th May 2008, 20:15   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Teacher/Professor in Bourne Identity is also pretty good. These two guys made better impression on me than Bourne did as far as sniping was concerned. Bourne is a close-quarters-battle guy, should give up sniping, heh heh)
Yes but remember the scene in Supremacy where he's tailing Pamela Landy & talks to her on the phone while using a sniper rifle to keep an eye on them from under the Bosch sign on the opposite building & when Pamela says she'll have to find Nicky & it might take time, he coolly replies, that won't be necessary, she's standing right next to you?? Man, that was some scene!!
Old 19th May 2008, 21:58   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yes but remember the scene in Supremacy where he's tailing Pamela Landy & talks to her on the phone while using a sniper rifle to keep an eye on them from under the Bosch sign on the opposite building & when Pamela says she'll have to find Nicky & it might take time, he coolly replies, that won't be necessary, she's standing right next to you?? Man, that was some scene!!
Yep, it really was! The stuff real mind-games are made of!

@KP, don't forget Enemy at the Gates!

@faithless, I did notice that! In fact, I checked out Cloverfield on seeing your recco. Had thought it was just a plain vanilla monster movie before. I've lost faith in IMDB ratings so I'd never bothered to look further in IMDB earlier.
BTW, did you know that you can see a satellite/something falling into the sea in the background, at the far right, in the very last scene (video footage from the two of them on the ferris wheel)? You can just barely see the splash, but you can see something falling in from the sky if you look carefully.

Last edited by hydrashok : 19th May 2008 at 22:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks