Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 13:39   #2596

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Guys, any good breakfast places in and around Koramangala/Indianagar that is similar to Ants (Indiranagar)?
Ants is an awesome place with very good open air ambiance, but on most of the weekends it's seriously crowded and it's annoying to wait, sometimes for long hrs.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:56   #2597
BHPian

Had been to Tandoor, MG Road today for a team lunch.

Food was ok. But what spoiled the lunch was that we found a cockroach in the dessert (gulab jamoon, that we were eagerly looking forward to). Informed them and they replaced the dessert with carrot halwa.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:39   #2598
BHPian

I was in Bangalore on Saturday and we had time for only 1 meal and we decided to try out MTR based on how much i had heard about this place from friends who had been there.

The food was quite fantastic, we tried every possible thing on their breakfast menu and the next meal we had was at 7 pm
Old 11th March 2013, 19:30   #2599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
I was in Bangalore on Saturday and we had time for only 1 meal and we decided to try out MTR based on how much i had heard about this place from friends who had been there.

The food was quite fantastic, we tried every possible thing on their breakfast menu and the next meal we had was at 7 pm
You should have gone back to MTR at 7pm to eat their fruit mix-its mind boggling priced at INR 75.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:32   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You should have gone back to MTR at 7pm to eat their fruit mix-its mind boggling priced at INR 75.
Where is this place? Is the fruit mix it some sort of salad or ice cream?

Finally I had biryani at lazeez on commercial street a few days back. It was good but I feel they were over charging. 150 bucks for chicken biryani with one piece chicken and another 140 bucks for chicken kosha with o only two pieces. Although the food was good the ambience and the service wasn't that great enough to charge so high. Even in Durga Puja they charge only 120 bucks.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:57   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Where is this place? Is the fruit mix it some sort of salad or ice cream?
This is Bangalore's oldest landmark.MTR=Mavalli Tiffin Rooms

http://www.mavallitiffinrooms.com Its on Lalbagh road(on the same road as Urvashi Theatre).Yes the fruit mix is a variation of the fruit salad.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:54   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
When i said we ordered everything on the menu i really meant it. We saw them serving the fruit mix on the adjacent table and without any hesitation we ordered 2 of those AFTER having our breakfast. It was incredible
Old 12th March 2013, 22:29   #2603
BHPian

Can we also list places to avoid? One would be Vishwaratna hotel in Sarjapur road... Had a Terrible buffet which was 399 about a year ago. Food was slow to come, limited selection and stale starters. Never visited them again.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2013 at 13:31. Reason: Typo
Old 18th March 2013, 14:25   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Guys, any good breakfast places in and around Koramangala/Indianagar that is similar to Ants (Indiranagar)?
Ants is an awesome place with very good open air ambiance, but on most of the weekends it's seriously crowded and it's annoying to wait, sometimes for long hrs.
The other cheap and best option for all american breakfast is a place called Hole in the Wall. The place is very famous and just down the Ooty Chocolate Rd in Koramangala.

Its a very laid back and Anglo cafe which serves pancakes, waffles, and all american breakfast all day long. Opens at 8:00 in the morning. Good crowd and ambiance. No specialties just plain and simple.

Price : 7/10
Ambiance :6/10 (Don't expect anything fancy)
Food: 8/10
Old 18th March 2013, 14:32   #2605
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Where is this place?
Quote:
This is Bangalore's oldest landmark.MTR=Mavalli Tiffin Rooms

http://www.mavallitiffinrooms.com Its on Lalbagh road(on the same road as Urvashi Theatre).Yes the fruit mix is a variation of the fruit salad.
IIRC, there's an MTR outlet in Forum Value Mall, Whitefield road as well. Don't know how good they are.
Old 18th March 2013, 14:50   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
IIRC, there's an MTR outlet in Forum Value Mall, Whitefield road as well. Don't know how good they are.
In my experience, the food tastes same in all their outlets. I haven't tried in the one you mention, but Lalbagh/ J P Nagar/ St Marks Rd all were exactly the same to me.
Though the old world rustic charm of Lalbagh MTR is missing from others.
Old 18th March 2013, 16:06   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
... the food tastes same in all their outlets. ...
Central kitchen, like Nandini's and Ammi's Biryani. 'Similar' defines the cuisine (e.g. stuff served at Darshinis is similar, like sweetish Sambhar), whereas 'same' defines repeatability in other locations of the chain - OR central kitchen.

Quote:
... Though the old world rustic charm of Lalbagh MTR is missing from others.
As is the slight griminess all around, and cheesy paint. Or did you mean the same when you said 'rustic charm'?
Old 18th March 2013, 16:33   #2608
BHPian

Dont agree with that. The place is extremly clean for the age of the uilding and the fact that they have been making and sevring food here for years. Yes the paint is cheesy but in terms of cleanliness, some of our five stars can learn a thing or two if they vist the MTR kitchen, where you are free to walk in and out.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:13   #2609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Central kitchen, like Nandini's and Ammi's Biryani. 'Similar' defines the cuisine (e.g. stuff served at Darshinis is similar, like sweetish Sambhar), whereas 'same' defines repeatability in other locations of the chain - OR central kitchen.

As is the slight griminess all around, and cheesy paint. Or did you mean the same when you said 'rustic charm'?
Well what I meant by rustic was not the cheesy paint. It is the old building which is so different from the new dining rooms, the staircase showing the old Bangalore and nostalgic moments, the waiters in the 'lungi' and barefoot, politely taking orders. The respect and service you get from those waiters is immense, some of the leading restaurants don't treat the customers so well. And, yes the experience to wait after getting your name registered in the queue for that buffet
Old 18th March 2013, 17:28   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the waiters in the 'lungi' and barefoot, politely taking orders. ...
True, that is the hallmark of the places where the service staff is from Dakshina Kannada or Uttara Kannada districts of Karnataka. MTR is not the only one; the ubiquitous 'XYZ Sagar's also have that. That's how those people are (not talking about 'lungi' and barefoot). Ditto for people from the North-eastern parts of India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks