Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 14:23   #2806
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I'll be in Bangalore this weekend and will stay in Jeevan Bima Nagar (Old Airport road) and will be visiting HSR Layout and Electronics city. Any suggestions for nice street food/Bangalore speciality in and around these areas? Will also go to Brigade road.
You can try Koshy's , St Mark's Road. I don't know how to classify their food, but it's a pretty interesting menu and I like the place for it's kind of old world charm. I love their snacks and coffee !
Old 1st July 2013, 14:34   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
... being influenced by imports and expats unless you consider Mughals and Rulers of Awadh to be imports and expats. ...
India has absorbed all comers and blended them into its milieu! But, at the time they brought in the influences, they were expats, weren't they? Without them, the Central Asian / Persian / Arabic influences wouldn't have come in. Ditto for the influences from southern Arabian peninsula in South India. Even within India, for example non-veg Avadhi in Lucknow to Moghlai in Kolkata, is associated with the eastward migration of the Mughals (or their descendants).

BTW, there is one thing that one doesn't find in the so-called Avadhi / Moghlai served in Bangalore etc. - the use of Kewra or Rose essence which is there in the original. Any cook who has cut his teeth in North India (Delhi, Lucknow etc.) would use it.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:02   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
BTW, there is one thing that one doesn't find in the so-called Avadhi / Moghlai served in Bangalore etc. - the use of Kewra or Rose essence which is there in the original. Any cook who has cut his teeth in North India (Delhi, Lucknow etc.) would use it.
Arsalan @ Koramagala was very liberal in using Kewra in all the dishes, It has been a long time since i have visited Arsalan.

Have you read The Emperors Table: The Art of Mughal Cuisine by Salma Hussain.? The artwork is wholly mughal-period miniatures and set appropriately to each section of the book, which is divided between he 7 most prominent Mughal Emperors, and traces the evolution and intricacy of their cuisine, as well as fascinating anecdotes about their dining habits and general trivia about their reigns.

BTW;I never miss a chance to have Biryani at Arsalan @ Park circus whenever i visit Kolkota.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 1st July 2013 at 16:09.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:31   #2809
BHPian

Please suggest recommended places where it is guaranteed to get authentic and best tandoori chicken in Kasturi Nagar/Banaswadi/Kammanahalli/HRBR/HBR layout localities. Thanks!!
Old 1st July 2013, 17:03   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Had been to Elements in Benson Town and absolutely loved the food. Barring a Lamb Mexicano, which tasted gross, everthing else we ordered tasted yummy; economical too.
Had another visit to Elements and was bitterly disappointed!

The triple chicken sizzler was anything but sizzling, despite the claims of being hot in taste and temperature. The prawns fry was horrible and the hot chocolate fudge consisted of two vanilla scoops topped by a simple cold chocolate!!!

The only saving grace was the Garlic Bread and Clear Veg soup. Never stepping into the Elements again.

Note: The Elements in Mosque Road does not serve Sizzlers.
Old 1st July 2013, 17:44   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Please suggest recommended places where it is guaranteed to get authentic and best tandoori chicken in Kasturi Nagar/Banaswadi/Kammanahalli/HRBR/HBR layout localities. Thanks!!
Al-Amanah in Kammanahalli. Don't miss it.
Old 1st July 2013, 17:51   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
AFAIK,Al Amanah serves only rolls, no TC.

The quality has gone down the drain in last 6 months or so.

Waseem.
Old 1st July 2013, 18:01   #2813
BHPian

AbelAFC - even i thought that place was for rolls and nothing else. u have had TC there?
also, any authentic punjabi outlets where the TC should be drool worthy? apart from degchi, anything else?
Old 1st July 2013, 18:06   #2814
BHPian

Quote:

The quality has gone down the drain in last 6 months or so.

Waseem.
I haven't been there in a while, my bad. What is TC?
Old 1st July 2013, 18:08   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
AbelAFC - even i thought that place was for rolls and nothing else. u have had TC there?
also, any authentic punjabi outlets where the TC should be drool worthy? apart from degchi, anything else?
Its just rolls, yes. I don't know what TC is :(
Old 1st July 2013, 18:13   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Waseem.
Quote:
Its just rolls, yes. I don't know what TC is :(
WindRide wanted to know some good eateries which serve Tandoori Chicken and you suggested Al Amanah which does not serve Tandoori Chicken.

Waseem.

Tan
Old 1st July 2013, 18:20   #2817
BHPian

Quote:
WindRide wanted to know some good eateries which serve Tandoori Chicken and you suggested Al Amanah which does not serve Tandoori Chicken.

Waseem.

Tan
Oh crap, I'm so sorry! I didn't see that, I'm really sorry!
Old 1st July 2013, 23:24   #2818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I'll be in Bangalore this weekend and will stay in Jeevan Bima Nagar (Old Airport road) and will be visiting HSR Layout and Electronics city. Any suggestions for nice street food/Bangalore speciality in and around these areas? Will also go to Brigade road.
Try food street in VV Puram (in the evenings) - you can taste local cuisine here. It is not close to or very far from HSR layout but a single stretch from silk board junction crossing Forum Mall, Dairy circle, Double road junction, Minerva circle.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:01   #2819
BHPian

Looking for a place for team dinner

Hello All,

Please suggest a place for team dinner on the 4th of July, location should be near to Bagmane World Technology center Mahadevpura ORR preferably a buffet. Veg and non Veg must be on Menu.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:08   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Arsalan @ Koramagala was very liberal in using Kewra in all the dishes, It has been a long time since i have visited Arsalan.

Have you read The Emperors Table: The Art of Mughal Cuisine by Salma Hussain.? The artwork is wholly mughal-period miniatures and set appropriately to each section of the book, which is divided between he 7 most prominent Mughal Emperors, and traces the evolution and intricacy of their cuisine, as well as fascinating anecdotes about their dining habits and general trivia about their reigns.

BTW;I never miss a chance to have Biryani at Arsalan @ Park circus whenever i visit Kolkota.

Waseem.
Correction- It is not called Arslan in Bangalore - Its called Alishaan (Though it is their branch).

Comment: This place is a shadow of the original Arslan in Calcutta. Their service is horrible. Their food is good, dont have a lot of complaints there. For some reason I did not like their Mutton Biryani. Rolls are awesome.
Its been a while since I visited the place, so I hope their service might have improved.

I have seen instances of them taking 30 minutes to simply get the bill

For the authentic Calcutta Biryani I often visit Lazeez(try their Tawa Chicken-its yummy).
For Bengali food - Bhojohori Manna- though the waiting time on weekends is ridiculous (usually close to an hour). They have opened another outlet in JP Nagar though the food is not as good as their Kormanagala outlet.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 2nd July 2013 at 11:09. Reason: Spell check

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks