Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:01   #2881
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Ki and Ka

A textbook example of a nice plot/storyline does not necessarily imply a good movie. It is very difficult to hold the audience with just a nice story – direction and screenplay matters a lot! This is the area where the movie fails to deliver.

All the good parts of the movie are already shown in the trailer. R Balki, the director for this movie has previously directed well known movies like Cheeni Kum and Paa. He was also the producer for English Vinglish and Shamitabh, so naturally people will have high expectations from this movie.

The key weakness of the movie is the failure to properly develop the characters of the actors in the movie. You might make them say smart and funny one liner but if the story is not developed authentically, it fails to interest the audience beyond a certain point. The movie fails to develop the appropriate romantic chemistry between the lead pair which is essential because they are portraying the adoption of an idea (a house husband and a working wife) which is not popular in India. The transition from a ‘happy’ couple to a couple ‘with issues’ is rather abrupt in the movie. I understand this is a very difficult thing to show but I was expecting more out of it. There is indeed a social message from the movie, which many people are aware of, but somehow the movie does not deliver the required impact regarding an important social subject.

Overall, in my opinion, I would say watch this only if you have nothing to do over the weekend. You will not miss much if you skip this movie!
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:51   #2882
BHPian

Thank you for saving my money. I kinda expected that from a movie starring KK...
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:14   #2883

I must thank everyone for reviewing Filmistaan here. Just watched the movie and love it so much. All the characters in the movie have done very well. I could help noticing that the lead actor in the movie has looks of MS Dhoni. Wonderful movie that brought out all the emotions within me.

Rating should be 4.5 out of 5 for this movie
Old 26th April 2016, 12:00   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched two movies over the last one week

"Fan" starring SRK

This movie seemed like deliberately made to self lift his god-like status which is well-known to us all and mostly to his fans

I like his acting (in a few movies) but, not a hard core fan

This movie is such a pain that less than half-way I was continuously looking at the time to wish the movie ended. It is a violent and meaningless tribute to his stardom and it was stretched so much that it felt like an "SRK overdose"

Many a times felt the movie to be a B-grader with respect to production values

Wish I skipped this movie

2/5

Lal Rang" starring Randeep Hooda

This movie is about blood theft in Karnal, Haryana. It is a dark and cynical movie with an amazing back-drop of Haryana

RH is just fabulous in this role and it fitted him like a glove. He is becoming an amazing actor with an appetite for wide variety of roles which he does great justice too

Each and every character including the new guy (Akshay Oberoi) did a fantastic job and movie is a beautiful story woven related to Romance, Friendship, Seedy Lifestyle but, without any violence thrown in.

Slightly Longish ( should have cut the timeframe by atleast 15 minutes) but, most certainly worth watching just for RH

Btw, this movie is also a tribute to many of us first bike (Yamaha RX-100)

4/5
Old 8th May 2016, 20:50   #2885
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Nil Battey Sannata, I knew I'd like it just by reading about the simplistic story line and well, instincts. I wasn't disappointed, fantastic content driven storyline, no unnecessary twists, no melodrama and no climax. BEST part is no songs whilst running around trees, dancing, jumping etc. It uses just the right amount of humour, sentimental scenes and music woven into a strongly satisfying story. Acting well, Ratna Pathak Shah needs no introduction and fit her role perfectly even if it was for 15 mins, Swara Bhaskar took the floor and stunned with her portrayal of a woman much older than her actual age, the little girl did her part too. Overall for me, it was a 5/5. I've never liked the stereotype bolly films anyway.

FAN - Again, loved it just because it has no songs and/or simian dancing. Of all actors in bollywood I think SRK has the ability to act far exceeding anyone. He pulled off the double role with ease and the emoting has to be seen to be believed. It was entertaining and it was something new and that was good enough for me.
Old 27th May 2016, 19:27   #2886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
13B:

6 Stars out of 5. Go watch the spookiest Hindi movie ever. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I completely agree with this review.

I am just back from watching 13B.
My rating : 5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Just caught the late night show of 13B yesterday night.

Verdict - 4/5. I liked it a lot - quite different from the different horror / supernatural movies we are used too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I saw 13B this afternoon and I agree with Techno and Eddy. I liked the movie a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched 13B on Saturday Night. I absolutely loved it.
Guys who loved 13B should definitely watch Phobia. It's one hell of a supernatural thriller.

It's very well done and ALL newbies (I think) and all of them have done a lovely job.

PS: Those who do not enjoy this genre may not like it.
Old 19th June 2016, 03:20   #2887
Senior - BHPian

Back after watching Udta Panjab.

To be honest, I didn't like it much and couldn't think of a reason of all the hype it was getting all these days!

Merely choosing a topic of social concern will not make result in great movies, a proper execution of the story that too a bit sensible is required.

Not more than 2.5/5 for this.

PS - Movie songs are quite good.
Old 20th June 2016, 07:21   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Back after watching Udta Panjab.

Not more than 2.5/5 for this.

PS - Movie songs are quite good.
I agree almost. Though I would give 3/5 for two reasons : -

1) Alia's performance. She has done an incredible job.

2) Amazing music from one of my all time favourite - Amit Trivedi.
Old 20th June 2016, 11:38   #2889
BHPian

Happened to see TE3N last week. While Nawazuddin is at his best as always, Amitabh also doesn't fail to impress. The plot isn't that great to be very frank. To a certain extent you end up predicting what could possibly be the end and there are many such similar plots in the market, Wazir being one. However, can be watched once within the comforts of your home
Old 20th June 2016, 12:00   #2890
Distinguished - BHPian

I watched Udta Punjab over the weekend. Well, I liked the movie a lot. I must say, while it conveys some social message, I loved it as an entertainer. Alia has done a very good job. Shahid has also created the right impact of being in a drug induced stupor right till the end. The climax and the quirky ending was impressive.

Overall, not an hardcore serious movie on a social theme, it's an entertainer with a social message.
4/5
Old 28th June 2016, 08:52   #2891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys who loved 13B should definitely watch Phobia. It's one hell of a supernatural thriller. It's very well done and ALL newbies (I think) and all of them have done a lovely job.
I saw this movie and liked it a lot but, it didn't leave an impact on me like 13B

Btw, the DOP of this movie is a close friend of mine (Jayakrishna Gummadi) and lives close to home and we still meet once in a while. He struggled in life a lot and now is a celebrity. Btw, he rides a Bonnie too

Watched "Udtha Punjab"

What a fantastic movie. It was grim, entertaining, catchy song numbers and at same time had a strong social message

I was not aware that Punjab was in such a big mess and this movie will throw some light into it's biggest problem of drug addiction

I'm not a fan of Shahid Kapoor but, he was really good in this movie and stood out in his role. Alia Kapoor who is always ridiculed for her poor IQ has yet again done a fantastic job

Infact, all the actors played their part really well and this is a movie that is not to be missed as it's a complete package

4/5
Old 12th July 2016, 10:52   #2892
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Any reviews on Sultan? Family wants to go, but I'm waiting for reliable reviews before committing.

Thanks!
Old 12th July 2016, 11:05   #2893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any reviews on Sultan? Family wants to go, but I'm waiting for reliable reviews before committing.

Thanks!
I have never been a fan of Salman. I have always felt that he 'over'-acts, especially in the movies released in the past decade. I watched Sultan over the weekend and I would say that it's a good movie and definitely good acting by him. Especially, look out for the guest appearance by Randeep Hooda.
Old 12th July 2016, 12:31   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thanks!
My two cents: not too great. As a one time watch, its decent enough. The typical Salman masala which the crowds seem to adore is present in abundance, however, with each passing film he is becoming less suited to playing the fit and furious chappie. Would I watch it again? No. Would I recommend others to watch it? Well, I suppose if one is a Salman fan, yes, but otherwise, I'd give it a pass and watch on a DVD instead of shelling out big bucks for multiplex tickets.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th July 2016 at 12:32.
Old 12th July 2016, 13:18   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Sultan is a feast for Salman fans. But for others, I am not so sure.
There are too many songs in the first 30 minutes and the 20-30 minutes at the end drags a lot. I was waiting for the movie to end and looking at the watch several times.It is a typical Salman masala movie with overdose of emotion thrown in.
I would rate it better than most Salman movies but nowhere close to Bajrangi bhaijan.

Do not go for Sultan as a sports based movie because you will be disappointed.If you go with expectations of a masala Bollywood movie, you might like it.
And as someone rightly said, Salman looks very odd in the initial scenes without mustache when he is supposed to play the young guy. But he did act well after that. I think Salman's craze is unparalleled at the moment. Otherwise, a movie like Sultan won't be breaking all box office records.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks