Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2023, 13:41   #4186
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Opening/introducing scene was exactly same as KGF1. Movie was entertaining and Bollywood will churn out more brainless masalas now on . But who's complaining!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Note: The entry scene of SRK had the crowd cheering, hooting, applauding, whistling. He certainly has a fan following. My 10 year old son, was up on his feet clapping away to glory and that for me was complete paisa vasool.
Old 30th January 2023, 13:59   #4187
Senior - BHPian

I watched Pathaan the day it released - more because I was travelling than any real enthusiasm. Its VFX is vastly inferior to Brahmastra (which was truly world class) and the story has holes you could fly a small plane through. I nearly fell asleep during the climax because it was as predictable as a 90s Indian middle order collapse.

All of this is irrelevant.

Pathaan is paisa vasool.

We are measuring it by the yardstick of India's rediscovered quality levels of cinema, fronted by guys like Nawaz, Rajkummar, Pankaj, Tigmanshu. This is the wrong measure. Pathaan is a cheesy masala blockbuster, with a big budget and bigger bangs. It is SRK at his very best, channeling the charisma of his 90 movies with some great throwbacks - k-k-k-k-karen, bhaag Pathaan bhaag - that any 90s kid will love. It is a frankly believably motivated villain, and absolutely unbelievable stunts. Also, there is so much male skin on display that poor Deepika is relegated to an afterthought.

Much like Tom Cruise showed us, through Top Gun: Maverick, what it means to be a 'star', SRK has brought back 'movie magic'. Do not confuse this with quality cinema, or great acting. It's a very different thing. Cherish this for what it is, especially if you are a 90s kid, because they certainly don't make 'em like they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All the rave reviews are bought out directly or indirectly, guys. It's a spin, like how automotive media is bought out by the car manufacturers.
Actually, this is not true for SRK and Aamir movies. They honestly do not care - I know people who work very closely with them so this information is reasonably direct. SRK specifically is at that stage in his career where he's literally doing this for the fun of making movies. He has more money than his next closest competitors combined.

Just to give you an example - it's quite tough to buy a Guardian review. https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...-fun-than-bond

There is also a large collective sigh of relief amongst the industry and most norma people. This movie has some interesting messages, and managed to silence the entire 'boycott' gang, who must now evidently look for real jobs.

Last edited by v1p3r : 30th January 2023 at 14:08.
v1p3r is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 00:38   #4188
BHPian

Missed this thread before booking a ticket for Pathaan :(
All the hype about the collections and reviews by media made me watch it theatre. While booking the ticket, I saw a new option ~"4Dx" apart from the normal 2D. The ticket costs Rs.390, but as I wanted to try what 4Dx was went ahead with it.
The Movie: All the above reviews are accurate. John Abraham looks more like the Main lead. The logic less action scenes were disappointing, I know that "It's just a movie dude, watch it as it is leaving the logics and all" but still. The choppers in the movie were so easily available for them just like the taxis. The Hummer was really good though!
4Dx: Not at all a good experience with a movie like Pathaan, Avataar 2 would have been good.
The seats were motion seats, so synchronised with the on screen visuals. But all it felt like was going through some potholes in a Car, because there's no sync between the motion and the scene on the screen. Just for the sake of 4Dx, they made the seats move that's it.
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 01:20   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Nicely written review and interesting to hear thoughts from someone who’s worked on the film. What role did you play if that’s something you’re happy to share?

On the VFX, without going into the covid or other technical problems some things that could have just been presented better (from a pure common sense perspective) is for instance, putting on goggles on the actors for the scene where they’re flying in that winged contraption. Its little touches like that in films like the MI series, that shouldn’t be overlooked anymore in mainstream Indian cinema.
My industry is quite small so I can share only what my NDA allows . I'm a technician to put it mildly and I have been working in Bollywood only since the past 2.5 years. But I have seen some really big budget movies in a very short span of time.

Bollywood directors, especially mainstream have a different thought process which revolves around their stars. A film like Pathan is sold more on stardom than other nitty gritties. Siddharth Anand has good sense of glamour and taste in style. Action is managed by the stunt and action choreography guys. With Pathan they left too much for VFX. The Jetpack scene even without goggles would have been better if there was some more elemental integration on set (wind/lighting). But very few directors lock things before the day of shoot. Many prefer impromptu improvisations. In such cases it becomes difficult to improve the shot as doing a complete CGI replacement is a very expensive challenge in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think you mean “antagonist” here instead of “protagonist”. Happy to edit if you confirm.
Oops! Yes it was supposed to be antagonist.
400notout is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 02:10   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The best part about pathaan was john abraham. Otherwise extremely loud, crass, horrible cgi, forgettable music and overall yawn inducing. Watch it only if you love srk. Spent 900₹ per ticket for a 4dx seat, regret levels are at 100

2/10
I spent ₹1100 per ticket.
gollabhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 14:35   #4191
Senior - BHPian

A few guys who work with me wanted to go see Pathan. So I booked the tickets for them, only for them to express their hesitation at the last moment of watching the movie in a multiplex. They had never been to a multiplex before and were just awed with the glitzy building. I could understand their hesitation but convinced them to go watch the movie nevertheless.
Which makes me question aren't the producers loosing revenues by way of lack of non-multiplex options in many cities? In my city there are only four cinema halls - all multiplexes in malls. There is a sizeable proportion of population that won't go to a multiplex for many reasons - even other than the expectation of tickets being expensive.
Anyway after a long long time am I witnessing such a craze for a movie. I remember, Gadar created similar levels of frenzy and that was when I was in school.
Old 1st February 2023, 10:49   #4192
Distinguished - BHPian

Celebrating the success of Pathaan, Amul style:

The Hindi Movies Thread-fn2vv8eagaacpuh.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 12:26   #4193
BHPian

Action Hero is a decent Hindi movie on Netflix now...
adi_gt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:24   #4194
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
There are no bad movies, only bad ticket prices. Pathaan is an amazing movie, if the ticket price is less than Rs 40. Anything more is just money wasted.
Disagree man! For most of us, time is money. The 3.5 - 4 hours spent in a cinema visit is far more valuable than the 3000 bucks spent on tickets & extras. There are many on the forum whose time is worth over 1000 bucks / hour .

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2023 at 19:18.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 10:33   #4195
BHPian

Watched Pathaan 3.5/ 5

Decent massy entertainer, SRK was charming and bad-ass good, John's character was perhaps better written than SRK's and he was pretty good. Any action movie - in India or abroad - makes you suspend logic. Pathaan was slickly done for the most part, if you keep that in context and way better than majority of action movies. I also liked how they generally kept the movie clean for the family audience and save the Besharam song, didnt inject unnecessary 'masala'. And yes, the Salman cameo was a nice touch.

If you like movies in general and don't act too elitist, this is a decent one-time watch in a movie hall. More so if you are an SRK fan.

Last edited by RoadTiger : 5th February 2023 at 10:35.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 12:56   #4196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Watched Pathaan 3.5/ 5

If you like movies in general and don't act too elitist, this is a decent one-time watch in a movie hall. More so if you are an SRK fan.
My thoughts eco yours.
I believe John was the heart of movie rather than SRK. His villain ark was well written and acted. Movie defies logic which was a given. Decent time pass. Movie was falling a bit in between but Salman cameo injected life in it again. I still believe in their spy verse Kabir suits the role of Spy the best.
Old 19th February 2023, 14:15   #4197
BHPian

Movie: An action hero

Where: Netflix

I had heard great reviews of this one and was really looking forward. Finally was able to catch it on a Saturday night.

The film is unbelievably good. It's fresh, well paced and brilliantly performed. There's no predictability to it.

It's mainly Ayushman and Jaideep Ahlawats show. Now Ayushman is a decent actor but I have always been a fan of Jaideeps performances ever since I saw him first time in commando.

The American sounding British cops and some badly done chroma shots seemed off. However these issues are microscopic in nature. It's nitpicking ar best.

Easily one of the best hindi films ever.

Rating: 5/5
400notout is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 10:52   #4198
BHPian

Pathaan: 3/ 5

A typical masala Bollywood action movie that belies logic, reasoning or common sense. The story is non-existent, the VFX horrid and the dialogues cringe worthy.
But to Bollywood and SRK fans this will be entertaining. Went with 6 friends and we laughed our hearts out at the dialogues and action scenes.

PS: Disappointed to see that even today Bollywood movies need to copy Hollywood action scenes and themes. There are scenes copied from:
1. The Winter Soldier
2. Age of Ultron
3. Mission Impossible movies
4. James Bond movies, etc.

At least Salman Khan "bhai" makes original non-sensical action movies.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 09:59   #4199
Distinguished - BHPian

Gulmohor DisneyHotstar

A picture on the lines of Monsoon Wedding with an almost equal setting. With a stellar starcast, the movie is emotionally appealing and everyone acted their role to perfection. It was great to see Sharmila Tagore after long and playing the role of the central character. Amol Palekar, Manoj Bajpayee and everyone portray the intricacies of a joint family wonderfully well. Good watch.

Rating: 3.5/4

Vadh Netflix

Another stellar Sanjay Mishra act with an equally effective Neena Gupta. The story has been done to death before but what separates the movie from the also rans is the treatment. The movie, as the name suggests, is about a murder and the circumstances before and after it. Sanjay Mishra has this unique ability to lift an ordinary character to lofty heights when given a chance and he does exactly that. Watch it for the performances alone.
Recommended watch.

Rating: 4/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 19:53   #4200
Team-BHP Support

Gulmohar (Hotstar): 4/5

What an absolutely exquisite movie. The film is made with such nuance, with each role being played with the finesse it deserves. Excellent casting and I can see some theatre faces in there too.

Interesting that a comparison to Monsoon Wedding was made - I wouldn’t have connected the two but indeed it had the same depth in portraying the human relationships.

All in all, a beautiful and poignant movie.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks