Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 09:31   #1291
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Watched Virus last evening, and came back quite pleased.

Story telling and execution was top notch, with some noteworthy performances. While everyone is quite elated about Parvathy's performance and so on, I quite liked Kunchacko's understated acting. The movie was quite intense, keeping in mind that this is inspired by actual events, and you could just feel that within the audience at the theatre.

Highly recommended.
Old 17th June 2019, 17:44   #1292
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Mammootty's new Malayalam film 'Unda'(Bullet). When it was announced, hearing the name assumed it to be one more in the long line of masala superstar movies. Since reviews were good, decided to watch.

Was pleasantly surprised. A nice movie about a bunch of Kerala policemen lead by Mammootty sent for election duty in what was said to be a Maoist effected area. One of those type of roles where Mammootty really shines as an actor. Well supported by a bunch of younger actors.

Rating: 3.5/5
Old 17th June 2019, 18:39   #1293
BHPian

VIRUS - 5/5

What an exceptional movie! Kudos to Ashiq Abu and team for portraying an epidemic that shook Calicut in Kerala, in the most non dramatic manner possible. There are no unnecessary twists and turns, the story progresses smoothly, while keeping the audience on the edge of their seats!

The cast is just brilliant - Kunchacko, Tovino, Indrajeet, Revathi, Asif - all have performed really well. Soubin keeps bettering himself with each new movie!!

Another reason for me putting up this review is to highlight the the character played by Sreenath Bhasi - that of Junior Resident Dr Abid! He can't be called a mainstream character, but the character he portrays is the essence of any hospital - the guy on the floor who keeps things from going out of control! Since I am from the medical profession, and have done exactly what he does in the movie, couldn't help relating the most with him.

Especially in the backdrop of the unfortunate events which unfolded in West Bengal over the past week, the first 10-15 minutes of the movie becomes all the more significant. The portrayal of the busy casualty in Govt Medical College Hospital, Calicut (one of the biggest in Kerala) is just fantastic. I bet it is not very different from what goes on in any casualty in India, especially NRS Medical College in Kolkata, where a poor House Surgeon was beaten to within inches of his life - for just having done his job!

I urge everyone to watch this one - a thriller which tells you the story of how a deadly epidemic was overcome by the joint efforts of doctors, local administration and most importantly, the people of Calicut!
Old 18th June 2019, 04:54   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
VIRUS - 5/5

Another reason for me putting up this review is to highlight the the character played by Sreenath Bhasi - that of Junior Resident Dr Abid! He can't be called a mainstream character, but the character he portrays is the essence of any hospital - the guy on the floor who keeps things from going out of control! Since I am from the medical profession, and have done exactly what he does in the movie, couldn't help relating the most with him.

Completely agree. In fact, in the initial stages he was the main character in the movie.
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:52   #1295
BHPian

Watched Malayalam movie Thamasha yesterday. Really well put, never a dull moment. Considering no big stars, it's a 5/5 for me.
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:59   #1296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Watched Malayalam movie Thamasha yesterday. Really well put, never a dull moment. Considering no big stars, it's a 5/5 for me.
This is apparently a remake of the Kannada movie '
Ondu Motteya Kathe', which I recall had very good reviews. Did not get a chance to see it yet, looking forward to catching it soon.
Old 23rd June 2019, 09:46   #1297
Senior - BHPian

I've watched it. Sweet performances all round especially by 'Motte'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Ondu Motteya Kathe
Old 26th June 2019, 11:40   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Thamasha

I love movies like this with no glamour/masala and other unwanted elements, thanks to some recent movies from Fahad. Seeing Vinay's quirky dressing and hair style, I knew this would be something nice.

I wouldn't rate high as some of the recent movies but this was good. A simple storyline that we have come across but brilliantly put together and portrayed by the actors. Not to be missed.

Rating - 4.5/5
Old 28th June 2019, 20:16   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Soubin Shahir totally owned it! The entire theatre went into a frenzy! Man, what an actor! Loved him in Sudani and Parava.
If that's the case you will like it, even more, his performance in Kumbalangi Nights.

Can't agree more with the reviews here about Virus and Thamasha. Not to miss both.

This year been amazing for Malayalam movie with a bunch of outstanding works.

Cheers!
Old 28th June 2019, 20:24   #1300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
If that's the case you will like it, even more, his performance in Kumbalangi Nights.
Totally man. Loved his performance in K Nights. The four brothers totally owned that movie! And of course, Fahadh.

Will catch up with Thamasha some time.
Old 8th July 2019, 16:55   #1301
BHPian

Watched the following Malayalam movies on Prime over the weekend -

Kumblangi Nights - (3.5/5)
Nice one time watch movie. A bit of a drag at times. Climax of the movie is really good. Good acting from Fahad.

Ishq - (3/5)
Again a bit of drag at times, but nice little thriller overall. Good performances all around.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:20   #1302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Watched Mammootty's new Malayalam film 'Unda'(Bullet). When it was announced, hearing the name assumed it to be one more in the long line of masala superstar movies. Since reviews were good, decided to watch.

Was pleasantly surprised. A nice movie about a bunch of Kerala policemen lead by Mammootty sent for election duty in what was said to be a Maoist effected area. One of those type of roles where Mammootty really shines as an actor. Well supported by a bunch of younger actors.

Rating: 3.5/5
Watched this one at the theatre. I agree with your views on the movie itself, but I felt the combined performances of the younger cast is what helped elevate the movie.
Old 9th July 2019, 09:33   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Watched this one at the theatre. I agree with your views on the movie itself, but I felt the combined performances of the younger cast is what helped elevate the movie.

Has anyone who has watched Unda (Bullet) also watched Newton? Are the movies similar or very different to each other. I am asking this because as far as I remember Newton was also on a similar plot, just that the protagonist in that was a election officer and not a policeman.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:29   #1304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of those type of roles where Mammootty really shines as an actor. Well supported by a bunch of younger actors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I watched this over last weekend, and quite a good one! Good to see Mammootty in roles like this, just that his reactions looked a bit forced/artificial in the election day scenes.
Old 9th July 2019, 16:59   #1305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Has anyone who has watched Unda (Bullet) also watched Newton? Are the movies similar or very different to each other. I am asking this because as far as I remember Newton was also on a similar plot, just that the protagonist in that was a election officer and not a policeman.
There are ample differences except the underlying villain mentioned in both of the movies: Naxalites.

Unda is an emotional, social drama and Newton is a black comedy.

Most Viewed