Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 10:31   #1096
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

If i recall correctly i think the ads also mention India that is to say that In INDIA tissot watches are not sold online

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I don't get this. They do sell their stuff off Amazon , right ? Or does that mean Tissot doesn't sell but their dealers / distributors do.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:21   #1097
BANNED

Watch out, many of these sites are selling replica watches. this info is there in very fine print.

As for Tissot it is the cheaper label from the Omega family (Swatch is the cheapest).
Old 5th October 2011, 14:07   #1098
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for Tissot it is the cheaper label from the Omega family (Swatch is the cheapest).
The Swatch group and the most expensive brand in their group is Breguet which competes with the likes of AP.

Tissot have some excellent watches and also suggest people to buy it from the store itself. I have PRS S16 and am eying T-Touch myself.

P.S - I work with Swiss colleagues and they rate Tissot very highly. It gets a VFM tag where as most of the others are over-rated according to them. The fellas don't like their chocolates either. Prefer Belgian ;-)
Old 5th October 2011, 15:12   #1099
BANNED

@JVH; Breguet from the Omega (it is no longer SSIH by the looks of it) stable is news to me. At one time they owned some Swiss supermarket chain, and almost the same Tissot watches on the market label were available from there at significantly lower prices. I agree Tissot is an excellent, but cheaper label.

Today even a Rs.150 watch keeps near perfect time. So the watch has more to do with your image and ego than quality of time keeping.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:18   #1100
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@JVH; Breguet from the Omega (it is no longer SSIH by the looks of it) stable is news to me. At one time they owned some Swiss supermarket chain, and almost the same Tissot watches on the market label were available from there at significantly lower prices. I agree Tissot is an excellent, but cheaper label.
This group is like what VW is in the Automobile industry. Has acquired pretty much everything to complete their portfolio.

Luxury watch brands

Quote:
Today even a Rs.150 watch keeps near perfect time. So the watch has more to do with your image and ego than quality of time keeping.
Absolutely agree!
Old 5th October 2011, 15:29   #1101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Patek Philippe, Breguet and Girard Perregaux are really up there in terms of desirability and aspiration along with Audemars Piguet etc. The Corums of the world are way too flashy by half.

And your Swiss chaps are perfectly right when it comes to chocolate - the Toblers and Lindts of the world simply cannot even begin to compete with the likes of Leonidas and Godiva from Belgium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The Swatch group and the most expensive brand in their group is Breguet which competes with the likes of AP.

Tissot have some excellent watches and also suggest people to buy it from the store itself. I have PRS S16 and am eying T-Touch myself.

P.S - I work with Swiss colleagues and they rate Tissot very highly. It gets a VFM tag where as most of the others are over-rated according to them. The fellas don't like their chocolates either. Prefer Belgian ;-)
Old 5th October 2011, 18:28   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes but those are quartz watches, not mechanical.

At one time Tissot was practically in the same league as Omega. With time, especially after being acquired by Swatch, Tissot and Longines have lost their premium image. But that does not mean that the are not as good as their more expensive brethren. Most of the watch movements; barring really high end ones; are made by few OEM, and Swatch is one of the larger ones. Individual watch makers just make the case, dial and the straps (which in turn may also be subcontracted!).
Old 6th October 2011, 00:17   #1103
Senior - BHPian

So, for a budget of Rs 10,000/- and my earlier posted requirements I can also consider Tissot along with Citizen and Seiko? :-) (Are there any Tissots in that range?)
Old 6th October 2011, 00:50   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Anybody own a Panerai?, the Ferrari limited edition model is to die for.
Old 6th October 2011, 07:43   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the watch movements; barring really high end ones; are made by few OEM, and Swatch is one of the larger ones. Individual watch makers just make the case, dial and the straps (which in turn may also be subcontracted!).
+1

Many mechanical watches are powered by ETA movements, which again is owned by Swatch I think.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:08   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Yes , there are a few models available on both brands , best to visit an watch studio / brand shop to see what exactly is present. I saw an ad today where there are some discounts running on brands such as Skagen etc across stores such as Shoppers stop / westside - so maybe there is something on these brands as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
So, for a budget of Rs 10,000/- and my earlier posted requirements I can also consider Tissot along with Citizen and Seiko? :-) (Are there any Tissots in that range?)
Old 6th October 2011, 11:24   #1107
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few Tissots in the 10,000 - 20,000 range. However, they seem to be Quartz movements. I am more partial to a mechanical movement watch and want to avoid Quartz. I think I shall now increase budget to 20,000 and look for a decent automatic or hand winding mechanical. So far, the brands I have thought of are Citizen, Seiko, Tissot. I think Citizen has 'Automatic" in that range, not sure about others. Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Yes , there are a few models available on both brands , best to visit an watch studio / brand shop to see what exactly is present. I saw an ad today where there are some discounts running on brands such as Skagen etc across stores such as Shoppers stop / westside - so maybe there is something on these brands as well.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:39   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are quite a few Tissots in the 10,000 - 20,000 range. However, they seem to be Quartz movements. I am more partial to a mechanical movement watch and want to avoid Quartz. I think I shall now increase budget to 20,000 and look for a decent automatic or hand winding mechanical. So far, the brands I have thought of are Citizen, Seiko, Tissot. I think Citizen has 'Automatic" in that range, not sure about others. Any advice?
Yes, you're right. It'll be difficult to get a Tissot Automatic in the 10k range.

Orient is a Japanese company which makes some fantastic automatic watches. However, I've not come across any premium watch shops in India that stock or order Orient. If you have any friends/family coming from Japan or the US, you can get them via that route. The plus with Orient is that they manufacture their own movements, just like Seiko. My favourites among their diver watch collection are EM65001B, EM65002D, EM65001M.

Some links for you:

Products | ORIENT WATCH

DIVING SPORTS AUTOMATIC | 200M DIVING SPORTS / EM65002D | ORIENT WATCH

There's another Japanese watch co called Alba [I think it's a Seiko subsidiary] which has a good collection of Automatics, but there aren't any diver watches in their collection.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th October 2011 at 11:44.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:40   #1109
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
You may want to try Festina and Fossil chronos as well. I have a Festina Chronograph and is one of my favourites (gifted by wife ). Their movement is Swiss inspired although the cases are manufactured in Spain. Don't have first hand experience with Fossil but a few colleagues like it a lot.

Skagen watches are quite delicate. Frankly at that price point I will overlook it for a Casio or a Seiko. I'm already repenting my Skagen purchase a few months ago.

Below 20K, am not sure what models of Tissot are available since am not keeping a check on the prices recently but I doubt a chrono will be available. Do give it a shot and keep us informed.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:05   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Skagen seems to be well-known but JVH finds them delicate (see below). I will see if there is a Tissot in that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Yes, you're right. It'll be difficult to get a Tissot Automatic in the 10k range.

Orient is a Japanese company which makes some fantastic automatic watches. However, I've not come across any premium watch shops in India that stock or order Orient. If you have any friends/family coming from Japan or the US, you can get them via that route. The plus with Orient is that they manufacture their own movements, just like Seiko. My favourites among their diver watch collection are EM65001B, EM65002D, EM65001M.
Thanks. I went through their website and found them to be really good-looking and elegant. The 'Classic Automatic' collection is more to my taste. Are they available in the UK or Singapore? If they are, I can ask some of my friends to get them.

However, with a brand like Orient, I have zero support (before and after warranty) and I have no clue about the availability of parts in India. With Tissot, Citizen, Seiko, I will be better off in that respect, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
You may want to try Festina and Fossil chronos as well. I have a Festina Chronograph and is one of my favourites (gifted by wife ). Their movement is Swiss inspired although the cases are manufactured in Spain. Don't have first hand experience with Fossil but a few colleagues like it a lot.

Skagen watches are quite delicate. Frankly at that price point I will overlook it for a Casio or a Seiko. I'm already repenting my Skagen purchase a few months ago.

Below 20K, am not sure what models of Tissot are available since am not keeping a check on the prices recently but I doubt a chrono will be available. Do give it a shot and keep us informed.
One clarification: I am not looking at a Chronograph. A simple time piece (even without day / date) is okay.

Neither do I want a Diver's watch (100 m water resistent), 30 m should be enough for me (I don't know how to swim, let alone dive! If I am 3 m below surface of water, then I am on my way to drowning in any case, no point saving the watch then.)

I will be doing the purchase in a month or two. Will definitely put it up on this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks