Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 10:53   #5866
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
... I agree with what Thad mentioned, there are too many factors that come into play so even if we were to impose such a rule it wont guarantee a reliable way to compare...
Righto. However, my concern has always been with the sanctity of data being presented on Team-Bhp.

I am in no way stating that our members are deceitful or that they lie on their ownership threads, but statistics can be made up so easily!

Isn't there a long running joke about statistics that goes like: "73.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot"? That's precisely my concern.

If Team-Bhp can put in countless hours of effort & data to show everyone the correct number of cars that are sold across the Indian subcontinent, shouldn't the members also put in some effort to validate their claims?

I agree, it is tough. But then, we should ensure validity of any and all data that our ever growing community shares with the world, not just some random made up on-the-spot statistics.

Whelp, thanks for listening . Hope I can contribute more suggestions towards making Team-Bhp a better place.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:11   #5867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I am in no way stating that our members are deceitful or that they lie on their ownership threads, but statistics can be made up so easily!
True. In this case for instance- if I hadn't posted pics, who woulda believed that a German petrol AT would deliver 22 kmpl!

But the fact is a lot of what you read in ownership reviews needs to be taken in perspective. For cars with no MID the tank-to-tank method is the only way to calculate FE and how many of us really do that? Like the wise old Bombay mechanic once said, "Sab gaadi dus deta hai" - All cars deliver 10 (kmpl)

To give an analogy, I use tripadvisor very often to plan vacations especially to select hotels. With experience you learn to weed out the extreme good/bad ones and focus on the most balanced ones.
Old 5th March 2015, 15:09   #5868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
This is an enthusiasts' site, and enthusiasts can get very enthusiastic. Maybe a bit to much sometimes. It's understood; it goes with the territory.

Nobody is going to start putting posts through lie detectors, but I have a feeling that anyone posting absolute misinformation is going to get spotted.
Old 5th March 2015, 15:32   #5869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
In the User CP / New Subscribed Threads page we have links to page 1 to 7 and Last page of all the threads.
Can we also have a link to View First Unread of each thread.
Hi Slicvic,

Do click the button circled in the image below. It will take you to the first unread post:
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot-20150305151557.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Even if its not possible to create a customized sticker, create a set of NEW DESIGN stickers specifically for Members alone. Getting a team-bhp membership is highly difficult as we wanted to maintain quality in the forum and this is a good policy.
This has been discussed a few times before. It makes things very complex for manufacturing and order logistics. That said, we do have plans to introduce more personalized items in the store, like our Personalized Hoodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_avi View Post
Can we have a similar thread on bikes ? It would be pretty interesting.
Perhaps some time in the future we'll include bikes the the formalized sales threads.

For now, there's this thread which has recently been updated with some figures:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ler-sales.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
The home page of team-bhp does not open with the error as in the attached file.
Sorry about this. Trust you aren't having trouble opening it anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post
I am not sure if this has been suggested before, but it would be pretty nice to have Team-BHP Petrol/Diesel stickers!
Yes we are definitely considering this -- however, even if they are small, I'm not sure you'll find place to stick them inside the flap? (given that its not usually a flat surface there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
How about a section dedicated exclusively to bicycles?
I think Amitoj and Aah78 have done a good job of explaining the reasoning here.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th March 2015 at 15:33.
Old 5th March 2015, 15:46   #5870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Slicvic,

Do click the button circled in the image below. It will take you to the first unread post:
Wow. Never bothered about the button. Thanks. Its a boon.
Old 5th March 2015, 16:23   #5871
Senior - BHPian

For the past month or so, I have been experiencing something strange on the forum. When my post gets quoted, I get an e-mail and an intimation pop up. After reading the person's post, when I delete the quote or private message, I do keep getting the intimation pop ups every time I refresh the page. This pop up comes for 5-6 times after which there is none.

Mods - Any ideas why this is happening?

Also on my personal laptop when I open the forum, I don't see the pages opening completely. When I try to login, the page becomes non responsive and there is an error which flashes saying page has times out. This does not happen with other web pages / forum's on which I interact. Kindly suggest what steps do I need to take for the forum to be accessed properly? I use Chrome to open the web pages.
Old 5th March 2015, 16:25   #5872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I was amazed and shocked to see this, What say people?
Thanks for pointing that out. Item hasn't been available since a day or two after your post ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Having said that, I agree - but I'd say a limited set of threads is what we need:
- Buying
- Ownership
- Training
- Maintenance
- (unique for all) travelogues

Thoughts from others?
If there's a branch of the topic that is going to get enough discussion, and doesn't overlap with the existing thread, then sure. Though I'd say start with 1, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I don't know if those two fields are relevant, since I don't think (correct me if I am wrong) that Team-BHP offers any points or gift certificate or coupon codes that can be applied for discount in the Team-BHP Store.
Gift certificates can be bought in the store now (see the link at the top right).

Coupon cosed are used very occasionally too (there have been no public coupon offers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I badly feel the need for an 'un-thank' option. Navigating the site on a 5 inch mobile screen, I've 'thanked' a few posts quite unintentionally.
True. Will look into activating this, especially with the way mobile usage is shooting up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
On android phones using the app, is it possible to get to the top of the page while browsing a thread?
Hmmm. I don't think so. We'll consider including a "back to top" type button at the bottom of the page for any mobile-specific skins in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
Since most of us are using the T-BHP app, "SOS" button could be a great feature.
Interesting one for sure! Perhaps one day when we have our own standalone app (which isn't a forum-only app).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
Maybe there could be a way to tie up with SIAM or the Transport ministry to be the official people's voice.
There's already hundreds, if not thousands of people from the industry reading our posts daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
Also have a guest (company's heads) each month to take straight questions from users. This would make it more interactive.
This has the potential to be good, however, unfortunately it ends up being "PR Talk" and scripted replies. We're better off without it in this case. However, having someone open to talk straight would be great (similar to Reddit's IAMAs - if you're familiar with those)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
This might have been asked/suggested before but can we get chat functionality added to the website.
As Techno said, it'll just be impossible to keep up with the chat or even have 1 strand of conversation. Anyone who's been in a chatroom with more than 10 people probably knows what this is like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I am facing a lot of delay (practically not loading) for the 'Make' options to load in the classifieds section where we check the value of a used car. Anybody else?
Sorry about that! Fixed, as per our PM discussion that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
I was wondering if we can have a Check-in button. Since we already have an application in our mobile phones for Team Bhp.
Another nice social feature. See the reply I've given Ashir above, as that applies here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Rehaan, there’s no way we can report PMs?
There's no report functionality, but you can just FWD the PM to a mod instead :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
If a member reports the post through Report button, then 'Thanks' count can be incremented instead of 'Post' count (provided the reported post is valid).
Why not BOTH!

A lot of reported posts do get thanked. I wouldn't say quite as high a percentage as Techno mentioned, but the mods do generally thank useful reported posts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I believe we can largely increase the quality of discussion and viewership if we add an option to view the posts in order of thanks.
Definitely a great feature to have. It's been suggested here before, some newer forum softwares have it inbuilt. Right now we are limited by the software we're running!

Maybe when we have time for a big new project we'll implement a "Show posts by original poster only" (useful in ownership reviews / travelogues), as well as a thanks level filter like you've suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I feel an individual notification to a member when he receives a 'Thanks' from an another user would be a good addition.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Similar to facebook, when someone thanked you, if a small pop-up window opened to notify the member, it would be quite awesome.
Brilliant suggestion! Everyone loves that little red notification on Facebook. It makes you feel relevant / loved / part of the action. I like this. Lets see how possible it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Rehaan - Where are you man ?
Sorry, was in read-only mode in this thread for quite a while!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The IndiaMike notifications works well: a dropdown, which lists posts answered and thanks.
Could you please share a screenshot of this? Thanks.

Thanks,
R
Old 5th March 2015, 17:19   #5873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
+1 - I am also facing the same issue in Chrome, though it works fine in IE.

--Anoop
I am still not able to open the Team-Bhp homepage, on Chrome.

When I go to teambhp.com, it gets automatically redirected to http://www.team-bhp.com/?cpanelredirect and then the page keeps loading.

I am able to access the homepage in IE.

Am I the only one facing this?

--Anoop
Old 5th March 2015, 21:27   #5874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Correction - 30 minutes.
Yikes, that's right, corrected in original post. Initially it was 15 which was bumped up to 30 hence the confusion

Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 12:47   #5875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
For the past month or so, I have been experiencing something strange on the forum. When my post gets quoted, I get an e-mail and an intimation pop up. After reading the person's post, when I delete the quote or private message, I do keep getting the intimation pop ups every time I refresh the page. This pop up comes for 5-6 times after which there is none.
Please let me know:
1) Is this on your "personal laptop" (which has the other mentioned problem) or another machine?
2) Does it happen EVERY time you get a PM, or randomly?
3) Have you tried using another browser? Does the same problem occur?
4) Have you tried seeing if clearing cache/cookies of your current browser helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Also on my personal laptop when I open the forum, I don't see the pages opening completely. When I try to login, the page becomes non responsive and there is an error which flashes saying page has times out.
1) How often does this happen? (eg. If you open a 100 thread, it happens X times)
2) Could you please share screenshots of the half-loaded pages
3) Could you please share a screenshot of the error

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Am I the only one facing this?
Sorry about this. You're not the only one facing the issue. (The quick workaround is to use incognito mode / private browsing).

We're hoping to have this resolved soon.

Thanks,
R
Old 10th March 2015, 13:14   #5876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Please let me know:
1) Is this on your "personal laptop" (which has the other mentioned problem) or another machine?
2) Does it happen EVERY time you get a PM, or randomly?
3) Have you tried using another browser? Does the same problem occur?
4) Have you tried seeing if clearing cache/cookies of your current browser helps?
1) No this happens on Office laptop
2) yes,every time. The pop up keeps coming even after I have read the quoted post and deleted it. The Error seen is "Invalid Private Message specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". This happens for 5-6 times and then stops. Have attached the screen shot which shows the error.
3) I rarely use IE since we have an older version installed in the office laptops. But I will give it a try.
4) Yes, have done that. But the issue still persists.

Quote:
1) How often does this happen? (eg. If you open a 100 thread, it happens X times)
2) Could you please share screenshots of the half-loaded pages
3) Could you please share a screenshot of the error
1) The pages dont open at all. I mean I cant access the forum even after entering the login credentials. Happens every time. Even after clearing the cache.
2) & 3) Will get the screen shot and post it for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-error-when-openign-quoted-post..jpg  

Old 14th March 2015, 21:12   #5877
BHPian

I've been a part of team bhp for close to three months now and have just been blown away by its informative nature.

If there's something I would like, it's this:
I would really appreciate a sub forum purely for DIY's. There are so many out there. I know we have a dedicated section for the same in the ICE sub forum, but other DIY projects are hard to find as they are posted in the modification or technical sections. A collaboration of all DIY projects would be great.
Just my thoughts!

Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 06:20   #5878
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I having issues opening team bhp on my Windows xp laptop, with all the browsers. Have tried explorer, chrome and Firefox. What would be wrong here. All other websites open good, Facebook, Gmail, scalemodelcarz and any thing on Google search but not Teambhp. Why so, any solutions.
Old 19th March 2015, 21:06   #5879
Senior - BHPian

**What does one do if he or she want's to post a review on an err....Roadbike? **

Mods- What can be done here?
Old 19th March 2015, 21:10   #5880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
**What does one do if he or she want's to post a review on an err....Roadbike? **

Mods- What can be done here?
You mean a bicycle?

Why don't you start your review thread up in the Assembly Line section & we'll see how it goes from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks