Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 16:54   #2416
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A recent news about FAStag.

Allow vehicles with valid FASTag travel free, if system can't read them: Highways min to NHAI
Ever since I have got fastag on my cars, I havent paid a single cash toll on any NH. Whether or not the tag is detected, that is their issue. Major troublemaker was the Devanhalli toll booth. But I ensured that both cars recovered the Fastag setup cost because of this toll alone. Now they have a system working.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 17:00   #2417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A recent news about FAStag.

Allow vehicles with valid FASTag travel free, if system can't read them: Highways min to NHAI

You will be allowed to travel free through a toll plaza on National Highways, if your vehicle has a valid FASTag or any other smart tag with enough balance, but the equipment installed at toll plaza is unable to process it due to any malfunctioning or non-functioning.
If the equipment is not working, how will they find the validity of the FASTag and the balance in the account?
Old 14th March 2018, 19:48   #2418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
If the equipment is not working, how will they find the validity of the FASTag and the balance in the account?
The scanner or the machine will read the tag and display tag number on the screen. But the boom barrier will not open and the screen will not be able to process the request. In that case, the operator at the toll gate manually opens it.

Nowdays, they are closing the lane immediately after they find that the equipment is not functioning. Worst part is the tailgating that is prevalent in BIAL toll gate.
Old 14th March 2018, 20:07   #2419
BHPian

Looks like there is still a long way to go where we can just zip through the toll plazas on the highways. Even though it has now become mandatory to have the FastTag installed on the new cars, unless the infra changes to support this, it would be a struggle.

IMO, like some of the western countries, we should have multiple lanes for FastTags and just a single or at the most 2 lanes accepting cash.
Old 15th March 2018, 09:54   #2420
BHPian

Somebody had probably mentioned earlier than all the gates at both the tolls of Mumbai-Pune expressway have scanners for FASTag. Well they don't and even more pathetic being that in some of the lanes the toll both guy doesn't even want to come out with the handheld scanner, saying its too far away so pay up with cash. So nowadays I just stick to the ETC lane, even though that always takes 2-3 times more to cross than a regular cash lane.

Safe to say there is absolutely Zero functionality of this Tag w.r.t saving time, at least for me driving between these two cities, rather the exact opposite. To have this said about one of the most important expressways in the country, is the very shameful example of senseless implementation.
Old 15th March 2018, 15:40   #2421
Senior - BHPian

I have a basic question regarding Fastag procurement. I intend to use my sister's Brio extensively in the upcoming months (mostly South India). Can I purchase a Fastag from Paytm for that car, provided that I have all the details regarding the car with me.

They don't take this car nor the Innova out on the highways frequently. So they have not implored the idea of using Fastag till now.

Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Read few posts/pages behind. You can purchase from many of the issuers of FASTag - PayTM, ICICI, HDFC, IDFC, Axis, Equitas etc.

Equitas will need just need a copy/Image of RC card to apply online and they ship that in under 2 working days (mostly).
Thank you for quickly reverting. Can I buy the tag for my sister's car? Do they validate the details I give against the RC data? That is my main concern. If so, I have to sit with my sister and get it done.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 15th March 2018 at 16:02.
Old 15th March 2018, 15:45   #2422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I have a basic question regarding Fastag procurement. I intend to use my sister's Brio extensively in the upcoming months (mostly South India). Can I purchase a Fastag from Paytm for that car, provided that I have all the details regarding the car with me.

They don't take this car nor the Innova out on the highways frequently. So they have not implored the idea of using Fastag till now.

Please help.
Read few posts/pages behind. You can purchase from many of the issuers of FASTag - PayTM, ICICI, HDFC, IDFC, Axis, Equitas etc.

Equitas will need just need a copy/Image of RC card to apply online and they ship that in under 2 working days (mostly).

There are posts regarding getting them from other banks also but in terms of shipping speed and minimal documentation, Equitas has been consistent so far.

You can then load money into the Tag account based on some indicative calculation for your route, use it and leave it at that. In future if this car will be regular on highways, you can always update the wallet.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th March 2018 at 15:47.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 18:12   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
It's a HDFC branded tag, has a 16 digit barcode on the inside (side you can see from within the car) and a customer care number.

No other details has been provided.

HDFC's website asks for RFID Number, Vehicle Number as well as a Wallet ID (which they mention, is sent in the Welcome Emailer). I do not have the Wallet ID, so cannot sign up on their page either.
Same problem finally managed to call up their customer care( Perpetually busy,No Answer most of the time) They took my phone number and provided the wallet ID and login ID instantly, was able to generate password and make it work after that.Phone Number was 0120-4510219
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 18:43   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian

On yesterday I noticed that ICICI has changed the design of its FASTag in a way that the letters 'fastag' themselves make it as part of the chip.

Refer image below which is not the complete tag as my friend cut the rest of the part and retained just this for his Brand new Ecosport and tag was supplied by the dealer as usual.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20180315-18.38.47.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 20:25   #2425
BHPian

The Bangalore Airport toll Fastag was not working today morning. I had to move out of the Fastag lane and pay cash.

Other cars behind me also had the same problem.
Old 17th March 2018, 19:46   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

Krishnagiri toll has two more lanes with Fastag, this is towards Chennai/Salem.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-krishnagiri.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 07:11   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Krishnagiri toll has two more lanes with Fastag, this is towards Chennai/Salem.
With the exclusivity gone, Fastag is becoming just another way to cashless payment only, no time savings. If you are unlucky and one of the vehicles in front of you have a faulty tag, then expect lot of time in the queue.

I paid cash in my last trip to KL to cover queues faster at Walayar !!
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 07:25   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
With the exclusivity gone, Fastag is becoming just another way to cashless payment only, no time savings. If you are unlucky and one of the vehicles in front of you have a faulty tag, then expect lot of time in the queue.

This is my observation too. Exclusivity is gone, and it's just another way of paying. I would have expected authorities to increase tag lanes, and keep one or two exclusive cash lanes. That ways it would have helped to move faster.

I have always failed to understand the logics of the implementations in our place
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 11:45   #2429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
This is my observation too. Exclusivity is gone, and it's just another way of paying. I would have expected authorities to increase tag lanes, and keep one or two exclusive cash lanes. That ways it would have helped to move faster.

I have always failed to understand the logics of the implementations in our place
Yes, with number of Fastag vehicles increasing, they should increase the number of Fastag dedicated lanes as well. Last week, at attibele toll, one truck and two buses were trying to muscle each other to enter the dedicated Fastag lane and it created a huge jam. These two buses were on the either side of the truck. And when you are behind these guys, it is tough to find the fastag lane.

Attible, krishnagiri, thoppur should have muiltiple dedicated lanes for Fastag users.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:36   #2430
BHPian

I'm Axis tag user since mid last year, i have hit KYC bump and they have deactivated my tag and not allowing any recharge (through site or NEFT/IMPS). I reached out to customer care and they are asking me to visit nearby Axis branch and get KYC complete.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks