Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 17:25   #7531
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
.......had 30-40 tonne load of cement......
If that number is true, isn't it gross overloading? Are those trucks rated for such loads?
Old 22nd January 2015, 06:53   #7532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If that number is true, isn't it gross overloading? Are those trucks rated for such loads?
In India, overloading the vehicle is the basic mantra. If the vehicle is rated for say 10 T, they load it to nearly 1.5 tonnes. Many a branded vehicles have failed in India due to this. I can recollect the MATADOR van as one such case.
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:14   #7533
BHPian

Took up a brave exercise today i.e. to visit EPIP. I haven't been to this area in 2 years since I left my ex-employer. But today was our anniversary and decided to pick up my wife from the EPIP zone. Left Indiranagar at 12 noon thinking that the traffic would be less. Got stuck at the KR puram bridge, I was amazed at number of heavy slow moving vehicles plying on the roads at noon. Combined with them was the ever present cabbies. A heavily loaded truck was either involved in an accident or broken down, anyways parked on the right lane adjacent to the bridge. Near the railway station, private buses blocking the roads; cops present at junction were busy catching vehicles as part of their daily ritual.
On reaching the newly introduced one-ways, the traffic was thin and streamlined so no issues. To and fro under 1 hour. I can surely imagine the situation during peak hours.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:14   #7534
Senior - BHPian

For a change, it was a pleasant experience to drive during peak hours.
I missed the alarm and woke up at 6:15 am. I usually leave home to work, buy 6:15 am.
Got ready by 7 and wifey asked me if I could drop her to work on my way. She normally takes the 7:30 bus to work.
So we both started at 7:30 am, from BTM Layout to ITPL.
The traffic was moving all the time. Some standard choke points like BTM Lake road, Silkboard, Agara - Sarjapur stretch, Marathalli, Kundanahalli and Graphite India were cleared with ease. I didn't have to completely stop my car for no more than a minute.
Interestingly today, no breakdowns either. Apart from a few harassing Volvos, rest all was cool. 25kms covered in flat 1 hour.

Ok, enough of appreciation. Lets see how my return to home would be.

EDIT:: Forgot to mention two very important points.
When stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, always tail a Volvo. These mammoths bully their way through traffic, and makes way for you also.
When on an empty stretch, never ever, never ever, never ever, follow a Volvo. You never know when they would stop to pick up a passenger !! And their brakes are rock solid. One slam and they stop from 100 - 0 in like 3 seconds ! You wouldn't like rear ending a Volvo.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 23rd January 2015 at 10:17.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:30   #7535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The traffic was moving all the time. Some standard choke points like BTM Lake road, Silkboard, Agara - Sarjapur stretch, Marathalli, Kundanahalli and Graphite India were cleared with ease.
How things change so quickly. At 9 I was at HSR 19th main IOC bunk trying to join ORR. Came back home 15 mins later, since it was dead jammed.

Heard there is a tent put up (for some condolence) on the Iblur service road after the Enfield service center, causing huge jam till HSR BDA juction.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:35   #7536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
How things change so quickly. At 9 I was at HSR 19th main IOC bunk trying to join ORR. Came back home 15 mins later, since it was dead jammed.

Heard there is a tent put up (for some condolence) on the Iblur service road after the Enfield service center, causing huge jam till HSR BDA juction.
Eeeeeee !!!
Seems just as I passed these places, bad luck followed others !
I didn't see any tent on the service road. May be because I was surrounded by heavy vehicles around.
But the trick is - Never ever ever, take the Iblur service road (stretch between Agara and Sarjapur). It is a gamble to get onto the service road during peak hours. I was tailing a Volvo, which was inching towards the service road, but then suddenly changed his mind and came back to main road. I knew something was wrong and simply followed him back on main road. Crossed Sarjapur with ease.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:44   #7537
BHPian

I am sitting duck for this jam as I type...this is one of the most horrendous journey that one has to make for a living
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:44   #7538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

Passed in opposite direction now . Still jammed till HSR flyover.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:03   #7539
Senior - BHPian

I used to commute everyday to ITPL by the BMTC chartered bus. Used to spend almost 4 hrs everyday travelling.
Then took a wise decision of coming in I shift instead of general shift. Now I am saving 2 hrs daily.
Guys why don't you all look at this option.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:05   #7540
BHPian

As with all things in life, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel ( or a green signal ) , after the iblur camp and the deviation towards ORR , the traffic was smooth and reached my office in Devarabisanahalli in flat 5 minutes
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:18   #7541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
As with all things in life, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel ( or a green signal ) , after the iblur camp and the deviation towards ORR , the traffic was smooth and reached my office in Devarabisanahalli in flat 5 minutes
Yeah, that Iblur camp stretch is a major chokepoint. I wonder why can't they merge the service lanes with the main road and make it a wider road ?
Once past Sarjapur signal, under the flyover, its practically signal free ORR all the way.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:35   #7542
BHPian

Why is the road leading out of Ecoworld and Intel towards Marathahalli again made a one way going towards the perennially crowded Ecospace ? I find it really irritating to go towards Marathahalli from Ecoworld whose exit is just 25 to 30 meters from the gap in the divider under the flyover to go all the way through Ecospace service road and take a U-turn near Bellandur ? They had stopped it last week but it was re-activated this week.

One more question is that who is the decision authority that can take a quick decision on making a pedestrian overbridge on ORR to make traffic movement smoother and life of pedestrians a little less anxious ? It seems to be common sense to do it but seems nobody is willing to do it. How about the promoters of Ecospace getting into action ? After all maximum people using it would be people working inside Ecospace

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 23rd January 2015 at 11:38.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:40   #7543
Team-BHP Support

The jam's inching closer to Silk Board now. What's wrong with people, blocking a busy route for a private gathering?

Rhetorical question.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:56   #7544
Senior - BHPian

There are 3+1 (+1?) lanes that start at the end of the Agara flyover. This merges into 3 on the ORR causing slow moving traffic. They need to merge the service road to make it 4+ lanes until Sarjapur signal to ease the flow.

Would lose a lot of trees :(
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:58   #7545
Team-BHP Support

Those of you who commute from City Centre to Indiranagar might have noticed huge jams around the HOSMAT junction. This is due to concreting the link road between HOSMAT and Victoria Road. One is better off going via MG Road or cutting through Auston town for the time being

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks