Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2016, 13:51   #11746
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not a rant but a query - has anyone used the metro to transfer to long distance trains at the City Railway Station (Now KRS Bangalore Railway Station)? Is Majestic the closest metro stop or would it be City Railway Station itself? And how long is the walk? I have to drop someone at City Railway station on Friday night and instead of driving all the way from Whitefield and getting stuck at innumerable places, am deliberating a cab till Baiyappanahalli and then the purple line metro?

Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:03   #11747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Not a rant but a query - has anyone used the metro to transfer to long distance trains at the City Railway Station (Now KRS Bangalore Railway Station)? Is Majestic the closest metro stop or would it be City Railway Station itself? And how long is the walk? I have to drop someone at City Railway station on Friday night and instead of driving all the way from Whitefield and getting stuck at innumerable places, am deliberating a cab till Baiyappanahalli and then the purple line metro?

Thanks
Definitely a good idea, and moreover a reliable one. Regarding the station, there is not yet a good access to the railway station from the metro station. Basically, this station is situated behind the railway station, in the Okalipuram railway quarters area. Their idea is to integrate the pedestrain bridge across the platforms into the metro station so that you could just walk down the bridge and land in the Metro station. However this bridge is not complete. The metro station has to exits, one towards the railway station and the other towards the main road in front of ETA star apartments.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg

Now if you get down here, and walk towards the railway station, you will have come out into one of the streets of the railway colony. You need to cross the street and then climb stairs to access the pedestrian overbridge. This area might be lonely since its not a public road. My suggestion is in case the train departs from platform 5 and above, then this station would be a better choice. If its a train that leaves from the first few platforms, Majestic would be a better choice I think.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:05   #11748
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
I happened to use the Metro to drop my in-laws to the City Railway Station last week. It was a delightful 22 mins. from Indiranagar when all the traffic was blocked due to rains.

The station to alight at is City Railway Station. Don't get down at Majestic since it is on the side of the KSRTC bus station and is a long walk (at least 15 mins.) to the 5th platform inside the railway station. I had mistakenly bought tickets to the Majestic Station.

While returning from the station, I realized that the City Rly. Stn. Metro station is a much shorter walk to the 5th platform using the over-bridge from the 10th platform. Like audioholic has mentioned above, if your train is going to be on Platforms < 5, Majestic Station might be an option too.

If you have older people accompanying you, be careful on the road connecting the Metro Station to the Railway Station. It is not exactly a road with lot of traffic but lot of construction going on the sides. And may not be well lit.

Last edited by Sangre : 15th June 2016 at 14:17. Reason: Adding my experience
Sangre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 16:09   #11749
BHPian

OT - I need to go to airport on Friday from my home at Kasavanahalli around 12 noon. Can someone suggest a cheap but affordable taxi which i can book now?
Old 15th June 2016, 16:17   #11750
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
OT - I need to go to airport on Friday from my home at Kasavanahalli around 12 noon. Can someone suggest a cheap but affordable taxi which i can book now?
While I'm not sure about the cheap part, I would suggest not going with the usual radio taxi operators as they do not accept advance booking for cabs. In my experience MegaCabs accepted advance booking and has been reliable couple of times I used the service and their billing is much like the radio taxis and you get a printed receipt.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 16:20   #11751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
While I'm not sure about the cheap part, I would suggest not going with the usual radio taxi operators as they do not accept advance booking for cabs. In my experience MegaCabs accepted advance booking and has been reliable couple of times I used the service and their billing is much like the radio taxis and you get a printed receipt.
Thats good to know. Do they accept card/wallet payments?
Old 15th June 2016, 16:25   #11752
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
audioholic and sangre have already described it very well. just to add one more point. Do plan your return after drop-off properly; since the last metro train in purple line departs from Mysore road station at 10.00pm.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 16:29   #11753
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats good to know. Do they accept card/wallet payments?
I think they support multiple payment options including paytm, do check their website.
Old 15th June 2016, 16:57   #11754
Senior - BHPian

Starting Tuesday next week, I will need to commute from Banashankari 2nd Stage to Prestige Tech Park, Marthahalli, for a short assignment. 2 weeks.

I haven't been that side of town for a while now, whats the traffic situation like? Please advise.
Old 15th June 2016, 17:05   #11755
BHPian

Quote:
Mega Cabs has an airport drop offer at 700, I usually take it and find it to be the most reliable and one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest.
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 17:22   #11756
BHPian

Massive bumper to bumper jam on top of BETL at 5pm, starting from EC toll Plaza itself. One Lane closed for re-asphalting. Avoid at all costs.
shreyascashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 17:42   #11757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Starting Tuesday next week, I will need to commute from Banashankari 2nd Stage to Prestige Tech Park, Marthahalli, for a short assignment. 2 weeks.

I haven't been that side of town for a while now, whats the traffic situation like? Please advise.
Do you have the option of coming in I shift. If yes, simply choose this option and forget about the other options.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 18:07   #11758
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sarjapura-Marathahalli side of Outer Ring Road (where Prestige Tech Park is situated) generally sees a lot of traffic and there are several bottlenecks regardless of which route you take. Your best best is to start early in the morning and leave early in the evening and try to beat the crazy peak hour office traffic.
Straight forward route would be via Silk Board junction. And as you would already know, you can take few different routes to get to Silk Board from Banashankari. I've no idea of peak time traffic on that side of Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 15th June 2016 at 18:09.
Old 15th June 2016, 22:07   #11759
BHPian

Quote:

Since it is for a short time, you could opt to use BMTC Volvo buses. This route has very connectivity. You could get down and walk in case of heavy traffic. Generally service roads are pretty clogged.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 22:21   #11760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would vote against BMTC. Definitely not worth a two hour ride in that crowd inside and the traffic outside.

A few tips:
1. If you have flexible timings, go as early as possible and leave office at 4-430 max. This will avoid the long jam at ecospace and beyond and you can reach home in less than an hour. Enjoy your 1.6 and use it to cover the empty gaps.

2. Mornings this journey is best before 7AM. You can cover it in less than half hour. Later than that I have never ventured but I don't think it's a good idea.

3. Rely upon google maps. Sometimes, ecospace crawl will reach beyond Kadubisanahalli Underpass yet the service road will be free. This will zip you half way through the crawl and you can join the road after the underpass.

4. Avoiding silk board by taking left after HSR layout(not agara circle) and again joining back silk board from Kormangala side can sometimes cut 20mins from total time since the silk board wait is horrible. This way you also have the option of going to SG Palya and Jayanagar instead of BTM-Jayadeva. Again traffic dependent.

5. If nothing works and you are not driving to work, give me a ring. I am happy to carpool. I usually pass PTP between 5-530PM if thats not late.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks