Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 16:48   #4531
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE check Light blinking on dashboard, vehicle won't start.

Looked up online for a couple of faults you've shared.
Here's what came up:
Quote:
The reason of P1803 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction.
Old 10th August 2021, 16:55   #4532
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivxing View Post
Thanks. Battery is fine. Nearest dealer is easy, but I love to try stuff myself too, and learn in the process... Its interesting that way.

R.
Could be battery, could be rat bitten wires, could be a clogged air filter .. so many things. Most likely battery - which you can't tell without checking with a multimeter, unless you already did that.
Old 10th August 2021, 17:05   #4533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Battery is fine. Nearest dealer is easy, but I love to try stuff myself too, and learn in the process... Its interesting that way.

R.
When engine is off, OBD will throw several errors that would probably go away once the car is started as now the sensors will be getting the inputs they need.

If the battery is faulty \ weak, it will fry the starter, alternator, fuses etc even if you happened to get the engine started , so I suggest calling the nearest mechanic and ask for a jump start, see if you can get the starter to fire , afterwards you can do the diagnostics.
Old 10th August 2021, 17:38   #4534
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE check Light blinking on dashboard, vehicle won't start.

Quote:
The car had run about 120 kms. Then after some I went to the car and it refused to start. No sign of the starter motor cranking and no sound whatsoever. Tried to crank with the key multiple times with no effect. However, I noticed the ENGINE 'CHECK' light flashing.
From your description, it appears that when you twist the key, the starter doesn't crank the engine. Did you notice any warning before you shut the car down? Or, when you tried starting the car after the 120km drive and shutdown, did the dash lights go off when you tried cranking the engine?

In common parlance, your car has been "locked". You will have to use a professional scanner to erase security codes in both the engine and the immobiliser. Clear the codes, allow the blinking to disappear, and then start the engine. Meanwhile, you could disconnect the battery negative cable, reconnect after 20 minutes and see if it starts. No harm trying this.

Sometimes this issue can occur even because of poor contact of the Battery cable with the terminal. So when you disconnect the cable and reconnect, please ensure that your terminals and cable clamps are clean before refitting.

Last edited by vigsom : 10th August 2021 at 17:43.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 17:44   #4535

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Looked up online for a couple of faults you've shared.
Here's what came up:
Yes. Those I could see on the net. But those don't detail out anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
From your description, it appears that when you twist the key, the starter doesn't crank the engine. Did you notice any warning before you shut the car down? Or, when you tried starting the car after the 120km drive and shutdown, did the dash lights go off when you tried cranking the engine?

In common parlance, your car has been "locked". You will have to use a professional scanner to erase security codes in both the engine and the immobiliser. Clear the codes, allow the blinking to disappear, and then start the engine. Meanwhile, you could disconnect the battery negative cable, reconnect after 20 minutes and see if it starts. No harm trying this.

Sometimes this issue can occur even because of poor contact of the Battery cable with the terminal. So when you disconnect the cable and reconnect, please ensure that your terminals and cable clamps are clean before refitting.
Hi

There was just no warning. The car travelled easily. 120 kms. Prior to that, one has been using the car once in a while but there was no problem.

Yes. The key twist results in no action. It only causes the check light to blink. It keeps blinking as long as the ignition is on.

Thx
R.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th August 2021 at 18:31. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:24   #4536

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Here is the snap of the temp gauge of my scorpio after a run of 100Kms with full AC and a passenger load of 6. It was taken from a mobile as the regular camera that travels in the car always, decided to ditch me at that instant. The batteries went kaput..

Attachment 21258

How much have you clocked on your Scorpio's odo?? I've clocked 72K Kms till now.
The radiator in a scorpio can be totally choked at 72k, especially if you have been using their Mahindra Maxmile coolant. I suffered this. You will need to remove the radiator, drain the coolant (and the paste that it would have become by now) and give it a proper high pressure wash from inside and outside..

In my experience, Mahindra Maxmile brand oils and coolants are overhyped and over priced. Problem is that coolant is not that great either.

Thanks // Rajeev.
rajivxing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:03   #4537
Senior - BHPian

See, Coolant and oils are not just to be replaced on specific km being reached, there are year limits as well.

So if you ran your 2011 car and just clocked 75k km, the coolant will have gone by then.

Quoting from the Scorpio manual -

Quote:
Coolant 3 First 60,000 kms, then every 80,000 kms
What you need to see is the 3 there.

Quote:
3- Change as per the kms or 3 years whichever earlier
This means if you're still running on the coolant that was filled in your Scorpio back in 2011 .. of course your radiator will be clogged.

If the radiator is clogged, power washing won't help you - it needs to be removed and cleaned with chemicals because there will be salt deposits inside like in an old water geyser.

If you are using third party coolants because you don't like the Mahindra one, and they're concentrates that need to be diluted with water, I hope you used distilled water not tap water, RO, bisleri etc. Or else you get the same radiator clogging issues.

Mahindra oils etc have some excellent specs. Their brake oil is imported from BASF in Switzerland for example, an oil that BASF calls Hydraulan. Go down to the approvals tab here and see who all use Hydraulan fluids besides Mahindra?

https://www.basf.com/global/en/produ...ke-fluids.html

BMW, Audi, Ford, Toyota ... you name it.

Their rear differential fluid called Maximile Elite (which is also overdue for a change given your vehicle's age) is an interesting spec too. 75w90 API GL-5 ; API GL-4 ; MIL-L-2105D <- US military spec. The only oil I found matching this spec is Motul Motylgear.

All this ramayan to tell you just what you have available to you without realising.

Quote:
The radiator in a scorpio can be totally choked at 72k, especially if you have been using their Mahindra Maxmile coolant. I suffered this. You will need to remove the radiator, drain the coolant (and the paste that it would have become by now) and give it a proper high pressure wash from inside and outside..

In my experience, Mahindra Maxmile brand oils and coolants are overhyped and over priced. Problem is that coolant is not that great either.

Thanks // Rajeev.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:57   #4538

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
See, Coolant and oils are not just to be replaced on specific km being reached, there are year limits as well.
=======
All this ramayan to tell you just what you have available to you without realising.
It was serviced regularly at Mahindra ASC. So they should have been doing the needful. I think they kept topping the thing that's all. We believe that they will be doing the job as per need.

The radiator was cleaned with a Karcher unit. Pressure washed from inside and then cold water sensing at multiple places on capillary lines to check. The guy who did it said it's ok.

Yes. Mahindra fluids boast of some really good specs. Don't know if they are used by ASCs or they just make empty claims..

I stopped relying on ASCs as not only are they hyper expensive, but they mostly are manned by people who are careless and opaque in terms of explaining what all they do to your car.

The rear differential oil was already changed about 3 years back as the car had to take a longish outstation ride. I got a mechanic to do the job right before my eyes. The oil used was bought by me, and it was a top end oil for the purpose, though I can't remember what was the brand.

The radiator cleaning was done in mid March this year and I got Wurth violet coolant. Yes, in the coolant, we used distilled water. That's a given.

Thanks for your help!

Rajeev.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th August 2021 at 20:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large quote for short reply. Thanks.
Old 10th August 2021, 21:44   #4539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Mahindra fluids boast of some really good specs. Don't know if they are used by ASCs or they just make empty claims..

I stopped relying on ASCs as not only are they hyper expensive, but they mostly are manned by people who are careless and opaque in terms of explaining what all they do to your car.
It is sad that your vehicle is not getting the care that it needs, perhaps you should escalate it to the service manager.

We have several Mahindra vehicles personally as well as the company one of us work for - in their dozens all over the state, they just keep going for lakhs of kms with complete OEM servicing and fluids, just make sure to keep things as per the recommended schedule and that is about it.

I have full access to their service bay and so do other customers who are interested in knowing what is being done to their vehicles.

Now here is why its not cheap to service your vehicle in ASC.

Their service includes a test drive, then inspection on the lift, service \ repair base on your consent and then several test drives as needed before the vehicle is handed over to you. You can go along for the test drives as you wish. This process is what is to be done - what is to be insisted, and its not cheap no matter which service center of whichever brand that is investing so much of their man hours on just your vehicle.

As BHPian Suresh said, there is no need to go for aftermarket anything for servicing your vehicle.
Old 10th August 2021, 22:33   #4540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It is sad that your vehicle is not getting the care that it needs, perhaps you should escalate it to the service manager.

We have several Mahindra vehicles personally as well as the company one of us work for - in their dozens all over the state, they just keep going for lakhs of kms with complete OEM servicing and fluids, just make sure to keep things as per the recommended schedule and that is about it.

I have full access to their service bay and so do other customers who are interested in knowing what is being done to their vehicles.

Now here is why its not cheap to service your vehicle in ASC.

Their service includes a test drive, then inspection on the lift, service \ repair base on your consent and then several test drives as needed before the vehicle is handed over to you. You can go along for the test drives as you wish. This process is what is to be done - what is to be insisted, and its not cheap no matter which service center of whichever brand that is investing so much of their man hours on just your vehicle.

As BHPian Suresh said, there is no need to go for aftermarket anything for servicing your vehicle.
I wish what you say was true in the real life situation.

They do not even have proper lights when they lift the car. They use their phone torches to see the underside of the car!

My brand new car had a differential oil leak when it was bought. I had to go to the service centre at least 7 times before it could be sorted out. I had escalated my case to Anand Mahindra, the dazzling king of the company who focusses on everything except his service centres in Delhi! They were finally going to replace the entire rear axle in warranty, till by some stroke of an error, a mechanic found that the sensor seal was not properly fitted and that was letting out the oil!

Expensive is fine, if one gets the service. But they don't cut the ice. All that happens is that they keep calling you for fixing gaps they they left in the work, and apologising. They make it a point to hand you over the car late in the evening so that the guy who has to explain things to you has left for the day. One needs to have a huge amount of spare time to deal with them.

I have always been shooed out of their service area in the name of 'customer safety.' Last when the customer care executive called me, to request me to come for service to a particular ASC, I had ro tell the lady that unless they give me in writing that i will spend my entre time at the service bay, I wont come!

At the service bay, the technician used to disappear for an hour after opening 2 bolts just to irritate me in the heat so that i go and sit in the customer lounge!

In one particular service centre in Delhi, the water used for washing is so bad that it leaves white marks on the glass! Plus Mahindra never ever uses wax on the car in a simple servicing. This came to me as a shock, after having experienced the care that Maruti follows gave to my other car. ( Ya, but they too arent that great, but far better than MASCs). I can keep going on ...

Thanks for reading ...

Rajeev
rajivxing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:48   #4541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wish what you say was true in the real life situation.
It is , atleast that's what I'm seeing. Their service used to be terrible before 2013-2014, that is not the case anymore.

Is it the case of me being lucky for 7 years? I doubt that. Afterall we are paying good money for a branded vehicle relying on the company's service network to keep it running well, we must insist on getting the best out of it.
Old 11th August 2021, 01:33   #4542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It is , atleast that's what I'm seeing. Their service used to be terrible before 2013-2014, that is not the case anymore.

Is it the case of me being lucky for 7 years? I doubt that. Afterall we are paying good money for a branded vehicle relying on the company's service network to keep it running well, we must insist on getting the best out of it.
No. Certainly it's not gotten better. Maybe you have a particularly good ASC. Good for you.

Do they have lights now? I mean to see the underside of the cars which are hoisted on the lifts?

Maybe I'll get someone to give me some tips about the error codes I talked about in my original post

Thanks

R.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th August 2021 at 03:59. Reason: Extra smileys removed. Please restrict to 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Old 11th August 2021, 07:51   #4543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I'll get someone to give me some tips about the error codes I talked about in my original post
Error codes you get with an off the shelf OBD scanner aren't always accurate. Get your car scanned at a dealership after checking and replacing the battery and at least cleaning the air filter.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 12:02   #4544

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Error codes you get with an off the shelf OBD scanner aren't always accurate. Get your car scanned at a dealership after checking and replacing the battery and at least cleaning the air filter.
At least 4 different ODB apps are giving those same codes. The battery is good too. Air filter too is not used much since last replacement.

But surely I will do as per your suggestions and hopefully the problem gets resolved.

Thanks so much

R.
Old 11th August 2021, 12:38   #4545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At least 4 different ODB apps are giving those same codes. The battery is good too. Air filter too is not used much since last replacement.

But surely I will do as per your suggestions and hopefully the problem gets resolved.

Thanks so much

R.
Now that we are here, the codes you have received are manufacturer specific codes - they are not generic. So you need to take this to the Co-Tech (there is one guy like that) , he will use his phone and do the scan.

OBD will show certain codes when the engine is off, that is why as you move the key cylinder to ignition, the instrument cluster lights up. These are cleared as soon as the engine is fired up and the lights disappear.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks