Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:22   #4501
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Particle Filter HVAC Compact = AC filter.
I found that out yesterday after giving my car for 1 Lac kms service. They have given an estimate of ard 20K, which is inline to what you mentioned earlier. They will call me today to inform if they see some issues with the oil/water pump once engine is opened. Since I had got the oil change done last week only they will not be changing it/oil filter. Will post here for advice if any surprises are sprung
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:56   #4502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I found that out yesterday after giving my car for 1 Lac kms service. They have given an estimate of ard 20K, which is inline to what you mentioned earlier. They will call me today to inform if they see some issues with the oil/water pump once engine is opened. Since I had got the oil change done last week only they will not be changing it/oil filter. Will post here for advice if any surprises are sprung
The AC filter needs to be replaced during every service, it's made by Purolator, a paper type filter.

As per the manual the belts and tensioner need to be replaced at this interval , the water pump needs to be replaced only if the technicians find it to be needing a replacement , usually a seal failure due to incorrect coolant dilution or type.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:04   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
the water pump needs to be replaced only if the technicians find it to be needing a replacement , usually a seal failure due to incorrect coolant dilution or type.
I remember Shell guys changing and filling Coolant as it is without any dilution. Is this a problem? Should I inform the dealership (where I gave my car yesterday for 1 lac kms service) to dilute the coolant?
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:09   #4504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
my Scorpio has had, over the past month or so, very low cooling on the two left AC vents and normal cooling on the vents to the right.

the AC gas had dropped by some 280 grams.

The tech suspects it is a compressor issue
The only part on the compressor that can cause a refrigerant leak is the shaft seal, but I doubt that would have packed up this early.

Yes, I've seen two cars with failed seals after prolonged non-use in the lockdown. These seal leaks had resulted in the refrigerant low side pressure dropping to approx. 20 psig.

The seal leak , unfortunately in most cases, cannot be detected with the vehicle standstill.

I feel this episode is a repeat of your earlier Scorpio, where the evaporator core was the culprit.

A leak test would rule out the accessible parts viz. Condenser, hoses, joints.

Good luck !!! Are you going to Prakash again?

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd September 2020 at 12:10.
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:44   #4505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I remember Shell guys changing and filling Coolant as it is without any dilution. Is this a problem? Should I inform the dealership (where I gave my car yesterday for 1 lac kms service) to dilute the coolant?
If they are pulling the water pump out , the coolant is going to be drained out. Discard that one and fill new prediluted coolant from Mahindra.
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:07   #4506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
If they are pulling the water pump out , the coolant is going to be drained out. Discard that one and fill new prediluted coolant from Mahindra.
Shell also sells a premixed coolant. In general premixes are more expensive than coolant concentrates because you pay 20 rupees a litre for distilled water and a few hundred rupees a litre for coolant, so premix is essentially a very expensive distilled water, for the most part

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I feel this episode is a repeat of your earlier Scorpio, where the evaporator core was the culprit.

Good luck !!! Are you going to Prakash again?
Exactly. The car is with Prakash and the Evaporator Core is the culprit as usual :(. What's up with failing exactly at the 5 year mark I am not sure.

Here's a photo, and yes that's a Hummer in front, waiting for some AC work.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-ad6b435c48a34b60a5037c18f6d2206a.jpeg  

Last edited by hserus : 22nd September 2020 at 14:10.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:51   #4507
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ It's become a norm of sorts in India to see Indian/German/Korean cars' evaporators fail in 4-5 years.

Your old evaporator core is featured here (A/C mechanic - S.Jagannathan Auto Air conditioner (T Nagar, Chennai))

I see that last time, the leaky point showed a visible refrigerant oil leak while this time, it looks dry.

Just last week, a 2015 Hyundai i10 Asta in Ahmedabad with just 37k on the odo had a leaky evaporator which was changed. Parts and labour totalled 8k.

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd September 2020 at 15:06. Reason: addition
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:04   #4508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shell also sells a premixed coolant. In general premixes are more expensive than coolant concentrates because you pay 20 rupees a litre for distilled water and a few hundred rupees a litre for coolant, so premix is essentially a very expensive distilled water, for the most part

Exactly. The car is with Prakash and the Evaporator Core is the culprit as usual :(. What's up with failing exactly at the 5 year mark I am not sure.
I do not know what is the type of coolant shell is selling or what dilution they are using, from their website the OAT pre mixed coolant meets JIS specifications needed for the engine however the manual asks for 30% dilution and shell premixed coolant does not say what is the dilution! We know from the manual that Mahindra`s coolant is good for 3 years or 80,000 Kms - small price to pay once in 3 years.

Is there any corrosion on the evaporator?

In our case the apart from changing the HVAC filter, no other maintenance has been done to the AC, it is used almost everyday for the past 6 years. It is probably a good idea to 'dry' the evaporator after use by running just the fan.
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:00   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I see that last time, the leaky point showed a visible refrigerant oil leak while this time, it looks dry..
The new evaporator for the Scorpio itself cost almost 6500. Larger and heavier than a typical hatch or sedan one though.

There were several smaller leaks the guy pointed out to me. Not easily visible as the area I took the photo in was his rather dimly lit shop.

I could have pulled along with this coil for another three or four months till the stains grew larger and more visible I suppose and the cooling inside the cabin went to nonexistent

Quote:
I do not know what is the type of coolant shell is selling or what dilution they are using, from their website the OAT pre mixed coolant meets JIS specifications needed for the engine however the manual asks for 30% dilution and shell premixed coolant does not say what is the dilution! We know from the manual that Mahindra`s coolant is good for 3 years or 80,000 Kms - small price to pay once in 3 years.
Mahindra says to dilute any third party coolant by 30% with distilled water as those are typically sold as concentrate rather than premix. Shell and Amsoil are rare exceptions in providing premix coolants.

The others with such a rating on the market (Purolator Puroguard, Wurth, Tata Toyo etc red coolants) are concentrates that need diluting with distilled water at the ratio specified on the bottle, but most local garages will happily pour in tap water. In fact many such coolant concentrates take this behaviour into account and proclaim that they work with water that has a hardness of upto x ppm. Not mentioned - use tap water and you’ll have a radiator clogged with corrosive coolant salt and limescale deposits in a few years.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:26   #4510
BHPian

The car did feel light after the exhaustive service (1 Lac kms). Bill came at ard.27K since rear multi-link bush/rod and power window switches were replaced too. Went to Manchanabele dam yesterday. I had parked on a slight incline and not much space in the front. A big stone was blocking one of the rear wheels that I could not see in the bushes at the time. So when i tried to reverse and accelerated hard, the tyres started spinning and lot of black smoke came out which was a 1st for me. After that I took out the car from a different angle and came back without any issues. Is black smoke coming out normal (due to hard acceleration) or do I need to take it back to the dealership for an inspection?
Old 29th December 2020, 13:39   #4511
BHPian

I am in a kind of dilemma now, please chime in with your thoughts to aid my thinking

My Scorpio LX BS IV is about to complete 11 years of hassle free ownership. With the pandemic and WFH for most part of next year on the horizon as well, I am not sure if making an investment in a new car right now is the correct decision too. My running during this time would be less than 500kms a month.

76k on the ODO with the mechanicals in top shape. But Scorpio has started to show its age and rust has started to appear all over. Infact, quite bad in some places that requires a fix at the moment. Fix or flip is the dilemma.

Here are a few pics. Apologies about the dirt in the car, it needs some cleaning.

The front bumper apart from losing color over the years has an alignment issue. This can be fixed, but the metal part inside is rusted and the screws aren't coming out. So thinking of how to fix this.
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-front-bumper-alignment-issue.jpg

The driver side front fender has come off its position due to rust. I am told this can be fixed by tinkering. I checked the price of the new fender, it is somewhere around INR 7k without painting, all put together it would be around 10-12 per fender I believe.
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-front-right-fender.jpg

The front portion of the fender with the mud flap is rusted and the edges have started to come out
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-right-fender.jpg

The same with the left side fender as well
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-left-fender.jpg

The fender to the front door connecting joints, a classic Mahindra issue over the years continues to haunt at both ends
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-left-front-fender-connecting-joint.jpg

On the left rear, I see that the rust has started to come out and the door frame has started to rust. The hole in the door is scary.
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-left-rear-fender-door.jpg

On the right rear, the rust has started to appear. Maybe just some treatment and repaint may be the right solution.
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-right-rear-fender-rust.jpg

I approached a nearby neighborhood garage to evaluate the cost of fixing this. All the rust cleanup, fixing, bumper painting along with the front grille along with an underbody rust protection coat is coming to around INR 70k

Assuming that the resale value of BSIV vehicle will depreciate over time, I am thinking if it would be prudent to keep it running for life (2025) and then sell for whatever value it brings.

The resale value as of today would be less than INR 3L considering the rust. However my thought process is around the usage of the new car as I expect very limited usage, given the current circumstances.
Old 4th January 2021, 20:19   #4512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
I am in a kind of dilemma now, please chime in with your thoughts to aid my thinking
___
I have the same issues with severe rust and the only thing different is that my Scorpio has done 245,000km since 2011. here is my logic
1. avoid selling the car if its mechanically ok.
2. delay the rust fix till next monsoon.

I am basing my logic on the uncertainity of economics and the avoidance of capital costgs and EMI. Should these not apply or be of concern to you, you may make appropriate decisions.

Delay of the purchase will allow more dust to settle from smaller cars like Sonets to arrival of new 2021 Scorpios and will have you in better financial stead in September 2021 to buy a car with a larger down payment and smaller EMI.

Your car may look like hell, but better the car look sad than your accounts.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 09:39   #4513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
I have the same issues with severe rust and the only thing different is that my Scorpio has done 245,000km since 2011. here is my logic
1. avoid selling the car if its mechanically ok.
2. delay the rust fix till next monsoon.
Thanks

I am in the same thought as well. Mechanically (touchwood) the car is in top condition. Regularly maintained and serviced the engine is smooth and performs well.

I am not bothered by how it looks now, I know it rides well and that's all I want . I have already pushed one monsoon already, will try and delay it as much as possible, before I visit the mechanic to fix things. I am checking out at multiple places to understand the cost differences.

With multiple new launches happening this year with the new generations of Scorpio, XUV and other BS6 versions like Hexa, I am keen to wait to check and pick the right vehicle as it would live with me for another 15 years for sure.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:01   #4514
Distinguished - BHPian

We need not go to workshops for smaller issues like changing wiper blades and many more such jobs that can be done at our homes. As rainy days arrive in many parts nowadays, unannounced, round the year a good wiper set is very necessary. I have bought two new wiper blades for my 2009 Scorpio, still going very strong, from a genuine spare outlet. The cost was Rs 205=00 each viz. Rs 410=00 for two. That's very reasonable.

While removing the old and fitting the new (ring out the old, ring in the new! ), I viewed many videos on the subject on You Tube, some Scorpio specific. But the best one was this, playing for three plus minutes. It is not Scorpio specific, but covers the two most common types of wiper blades fitted in today's cars. The video has 41 lakh views, 16 K likes, which says it all. So simple, focused and practical.

The link:-

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th January 2021 at 12:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:43   #4515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I have bought two new wiper blades for my 2009 Scorpio, still going very strong, from a genuine spare outlet.
Do you know what's the OEM wiper blade size for a 2010 Scorpio SLE? Is it 19'', 20'' or 21''?
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks