Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2019, 01:29   #4456
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hi
Shell Rimula T4 (API CI4+) 15w40 - the manual specifies 10K on CH4, but I've been running this Rimula for 8K km so far, and besides the oil drinking, the engine remains silky smooth. Quite unlike what'd be a normal run of 8k with a mineral oil, given 90% ++ of this Scorpio's driving is on the highways.

You have tried Shell Rimula R4 15w40 (API CI4+) ? what would be difference between T4 and R4 ?
When I had Xylo, I had many times run this R4, and pretty happy with it.
Old 17th February 2019, 03:37   #4457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
You have tried Shell Rimula R4 15w40 (API CI4+) ? what would be difference between T4 and R4 ?
When I had Xylo, I had many times run this R4, and pretty happy with it.
Yes R4. The T4 is a typo. It is an above average mineral oil, certainly. What was your refill interval with this oil by the way?
Old 17th February 2019, 10:06   #4458
BHPian

Quote:
Yes R4. The T4 is a typo. It is an above average mineral oil, certainly. What was your refill interval with this oil by the way?
Hello,

sorry to read of your Scorpio's theft. Hope all goes well soon.

Going by online description, Rimula "T" series seems to be Tata approved variant, however "R" is globally available.

In my Xylo I used to replace oil every 6-8K KM, whichever oil I used. Never faced situation that oil was low, or over consumption. I have tried various oils / additives / flushes, many posts in the Diesel Engine Oil thread as ref. Last March'18 when I sold Xylo, ODO was 196000 KM, just short of 4000 KM of 2 Lacs mark!! The engine was still perfect condition.

Also, I have heard good reviews of GS Caltex fluids, personally never tried. You could give a try -
Kixx D1 Platinum Plus API CI-4+ 15W-40 Semi Synthetic.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 17th February 2019 at 10:11.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 10:15   #4459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Also, I have heard good reviews of GS Caltex fluids, you could give a try -
Kixx D1 Platinum Plus API CI-4+ 15W-40 Semi Synthetic.
I normally use Amsoil 5w40 ck4 synthetic on my Scorpios, filled Shell this one time as I had to travel and Amsoil was taking some time to deliver (I’m in Chennai and the nearest distributor is in Coimbatore so they book it as bus cargo once I order it .. all cargo shipments on that bus line were being delayed at that time due to Diwali).

I do agree it is probably overkill for the mHawk so I’ll. Definitely take a look at Caltex sometime in the future, thanks for the pointer.
Old 4th April 2019, 08:31   #4460
Senior - BHPian

I'm just leaving this link to a post I made in the diesel engine oil thread - that has a screenshot from a UK version XUV's manual. For like the first time I've seen, Mahindra has published the minimum API / ACEA standards for their vehicles, to be used in place of Maximile fluids if those are not easily available such as in the UK.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4569517 (All about diesel engine oils)

I'll include the screenshot here as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-screenshot-20190404-8.22.26-am.png  

hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 18:03   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, this has left me too confused. Any way I will let it pass like the xenons and the petes and save me some money instead , even though I am not planning keep this car for more than 5 yrs.
Surprised to see the edit, finally sold the trusted horse in May'18, but got a surprise and saw it with its new owner very close to my place on my last visit to India in Feb. Looked great as ever with new shoes.
Old 5th April 2019, 18:09   #4462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Surprised to see the edit, finally sold the trusted horse in May'18, but got a surprise and saw it with its new owner very close to my place on my last visit to India in Feb. Looked great as ever with new shoes.
So - this is about a K&N air or oil filter right? What advantage(s) if any did you see in a scorpio over the standard foam air filter and typical spin on oil filter?
Old 14th April 2019, 07:58   #4463
Senior - BHPian

I was headed to Bangalore earlier this week when the Scorpio suddenly refused to go beyond 80 kmph and the turbo started making whistling noises. The check engine light came on as well with, as my obd2 told me, a P0299 error code.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-b71b849ed90d4a9487b4f04a1a3fbf1a.jpeg

Turns out a hose had got cut, and I had this replaced at Jain Cars, a Mahindra dealer in Vellore, on a service road right off the highway.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-bff61426327b4e54b086f69a1123c049.jpeg

This was diagnosed and fixed, paperwork done in under twenty minutes. Good work.
Old 4th June 2019, 13:36   #4464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So - this is about a K&N air or oil filter right? What advantage(s) if any did you see in a scorpio over the standard foam air filter and typical spin on oil filter?
The consensus was that there are no significant advantages, so decided to stick with the standard filter.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 17:55   #4465
BHPian

Seeking expert advice, I have the following issue observation on my Scorpio MHawk 2010 December model, now at 90K km odo. It's maintained well and taken care.

When the vehicle is stationary, in neutral, and keep the RPM around 2K mark, RPM goes up and down, slightly. Engine tone going up and down can also be heard.

Along with this if I switch on the AC, this RPM fluctuations are more strongly visible around the 2K mark.

If the car is on idle RPM, there are no issues and RPM stays around 800 mark without any fluctuations.

What could be the possible issues or things to be checked? I took it to India Garage in Bangalore and they said that nothing to worry. But I started to notice this fluctuations in RPM recently only.

Regards
Narayanang76
Old 5th June 2019, 18:04   #4466
Senior - BHPian

Check the air filter and replace it as necessary. Then Plug in an obd scanner or better have Mahindra scan it and see if there are any errors when this is reproduced.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:56   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Seeking expert advice, I have the following issue observation on my Scorpio MHawk 2010 December model, now at 90K km odo. It's maintained well and taken care.

When the vehicle is stationary, in neutral, and keep the RPM around 2K mark, RPM goes up and down, slightly. Engine tone going up and down can also be heard.

Along with this if I switch on the AC, this RPM fluctuations are more strongly visible around the 2K mark.

Regards
Narayanang76
So here is an update, the above issue got resolved.

My issue has been with the following symptoms:
  • RPM needle on the cluster can be seen going up and down slightly, around 2K mark. Idling RPM seems fine
  • Missing/Hiccups while driving. This again around 2K RPM mark
  • Both the above becomes more prominent, when AC is on
  • There is NO check lights on the Cluster, at all
  • Turbo Modulator went kaput recently, and speed reduced to 80KMPH, loss of turbo power. Replaced the Turbo Modulator and that issue got resolved.
The following investigations, took almost a month:
  • Took to India Garage first and thereafter a few more times, Mahindra Authorised Centre - response 'No Issues, it seems fine'. They even went ahead to show me in another Scorpio, which obviously didn't have this issue.
  • Took it to a known, reputed aftermarket garage, and they spent some time and claimed 'potential issue with fuel pump or injectors'
  • Spoke with many experts on calls and WhatsApp and received various suggestions, incl Scorpio Owners group. One suggestion was to try System D
Overall the issue was getting pointed to the Fuel Systems, could be Fuel Quality, Fuel lines, Fuel Filters, Fuel Lines, Fuel Pump or maybe Injectors.

Break through:
1. After trying System D, within 150 KM driving, the RPM needle vibrations have come down drastically and was staying steady almost.
2. Next, took the Scorpio to India Garage and did OBD Scan with live data to see any issues with Sensors, Injectors or anything major. The OBD Scan didn't give any errors and every parameter was in the healthy range, including the rail pressure sensors. This gave a bit more relief that nothing major was the issue.
3. Even though India Garage guys was resisting to the Fuel Filter change (it was changed 25K km back), I insisted them to replace it with a new one this time. And issue got resolved immediately after.

Note: I always ensured that I refill diesel from reputed pumps, while in Bangalore always re-filled regular diesel from Shell bunks or a reputed HP station nearby. While on highways too try to find the regular stations and unknown places I have refueled very rarely, and done only in unavoidable situations.

I plan to get the fuel tank, fuel lines cleaned during my next major service, 1 Lakh service that is coming up next time.

Now the Scorpio is back to its glory. thanks everyone who helped in this matter.

regards,
narayanang76
Old 28th August 2019, 22:58   #4468
BANNED

Planning to buy a 2009ish Scorpio (using the 10 year NCR ban to my benifit).

Anything to keep in mind (except for the obvious buy a 2.2 mHawk, not a 2.6 turbo)
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 12:20   #4469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Anything to keep in mind (except for the obvious buy a 2.2 mHawk, not a 2.6 turbo)
This is a known issue in the mighty muscular series of 2.2 mHawk Scorpios (not sure what the situation is in the post 2014 facelift ones). Lots of members on and off the forum have faced it (self included):

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...reak-down.html (Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th August 2019 at 12:22.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 01:26   #4470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Planning to buy a 2009ish Scorpio (using the 10 year NCR ban to my benifit).

1. See if the tires have been changed
2. Condition of the rubber parts, including the hoses in the engine bay, beading', etc. as they tend to fray at the edges.
3. Condition of wiring
4. Exhaustive service history available.
5. Kms. run, if it is over a lack get it examined by a trusted mechanic.
5. Rusting on the paint work, under body.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st September 2019 at 11:57. Reason: Back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks