Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:25   #3811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

Rk Sans
- Nice effect ! Good work with the NXT ! Not sure from the pictures whether you have applied tire shine, if not then that would make the tires stand out too !

For the rust on the rims, try cleaning them up with clay bar & applying NXT to seal them ! If you have a dedicated chrome polish like Megs All Metal Polysh, then you can try that too !
thanks Nirmal.
i am missing on a good tire shine in my detailing list . Time to buy one and also clay bar and chrome polish.
For the rims, right now i have applied the NXT as i do not have the clay bar.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:29   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudhanshuSD View Post

My friend here does this job, so i never actually bothered to look into it. Once in 4-5 months, I hand my var over to him and he does the exterior for me.
Where in Pune your friend provides his services? Is he having a workshop? What are the charges?

Even my car has aquired swirls over time, would be nice to get em removed!
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:36   #3813
Senior - BHPian

@rk sans - Wow! A great job on a great bike!!

It truly looks to be in immaculate condition!
(it was actually a dream bike for my dad!)

For the rust spot, try getting hold of a metal wadding polish(like 'EagleOne nevrdull' available at gamutauto )

It'll also be good for all the metal the bike has. It'll remove the rust easily.
After that, you can either apply NXT

or

a more permanent solution would be to get hold of a clearcoat spray and apply it on the spot(after cleaning/removing the rust) using a fine brush so that it completely seals the spot from oxidation.

I too had a few rust spots on the exhaust pipe assembly of my car. A wadding polish really helps in cleaning up the metal. But I sanded the rust spots with a 1200grit sandpaper followed by 2000grit and finally used a abrasive metal polish to bring back mirror shine!

sealed them with collinite845.

You can try sanding too! (basically sanding is removing rust etc. with the help of abrasives whereas wadding polish has chemicals that actually dissolve the rust)

Its more of a personal preference really!

Last edited by sohail99 : 23rd November 2010 at 17:39.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:32   #3814
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sohail - Update - Gamut auto is out of stock of the Eagle one wadding polish & they're not sure when they will be receiving the next lot :( I wanted to order that few weeks ago, not sure if the status has changed since then ? Do you have some confirmed info on the availability ?

I had a doubt on the sanding that you were referring to, would it not remove the layer of chrome also on the metal, thereby exposing bare metal on the rims ?
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:52   #3815

@Nirmaljusdoit - Try looking for it in on ebay, the seller is xstatic.concepts. He is the dealer for valvoline for south india and is located in Bangalore. He ships very fast.

PM me if you need his contact info.
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:18   #3816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Sohail - Update - Gamut auto is out of stock of the Eagle one wadding polish & they're not sure when they will be receiving the next lot :( I wanted to order that few weeks ago, not sure if the status has changed since then ? Do you have some confirmed info on the availability ?

I had a doubt on the sanding that you were referring to, would it not remove the layer of chrome also on the metal, thereby exposing bare metal on the rims ?
That would happen if one sands a lot!

I generally feather sand and keep examining the surface after like every 2-3 strokes

I wouldn't recommend sanding though, but I kinda prefer doing it on a metal surface(like aluminium/steel etc.)

For polishing chrome, one can use any generic rubbing compound!

btw M105 does a fantastic job on chrome, by hand!

For rusted chrome, you can try aluminium foil and water!(just make a small aluminium foil ball, dip it in water and then rub the rust off!)

Last edited by sohail99 : 23rd November 2010 at 19:26.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:27   #3817
Senior - BHPian

thanks Sohail, i will get the eagle 1.
Nirmal,
I will check in gamutauto, if not i will try ebay. Will pm you once i am done with the order.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:18   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
That would happen if one sands a lot!

I generally feather sand and keep examining the surface after like every 2-3 strokes

I wouldn't recommend sanding though, but I kinda prefer doing it on a metal surface(like aluminium/steel etc.)

For polishing chrome, one can use any generic rubbing compound!

btw M105 does a fantastic job on chrome, by hand!

For rusted chrome, you can try aluminium foil and water!(just make a small aluminium foil ball, dip it in water and then rub the rust off!)
My take is use ONLY polish. What you have is chrome plating - very thin layer deposited by electrolysis. If your chrome is rusted and the rust has eaten into the chrome you have to live with it. If M105/205 works well be happy with it. Stay away from rubbing compounds as they are more abrasive, your chrome may shine momentarily but you are coming close to the underlying metal with every application. BTW Turtlewax has a very good chrome polish which I have used. Look at a sealant which seals chrome for protection - typically chrome wheel / trim sealants.

Rgds
Old 25th November 2010, 12:04   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Found out that Kestrel DAS 6 DA Polisher is the other DA polisher which is famous other than Megs in UK which has 220v polishers, And good thing is it will cost Rs 9400 through shopyourworld.com (amazonuk)and will be eligible for duty free shipment which would save approximately Rs 3000.

If we buy megs, it would cost around Rs12000 + Rs 4000 duty. There are good reviews for Kestrel in forums.

ScoobyNet - View Single Post - Kestrel DAS-6 V Meguiars G220
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2010, 13:57   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the results that several members have obtained from detailing products I am also keen on getting my vehicles back to their gleaming self.

But with so many products and methods i am mighty confused.

So here goes...

I generally use plain water to rise off any dust and dirt particles after which I use ArmorAll wash n wax solution diluted in water as suggested. After the wash, I use microfiber towels (from Turtle Wax) to dry the vehicles. Since the shampoo already contains carnauba wax i dont do a wax polish again. Please note that i use a mf towel to wash the bike as well.

Off late i have noticed swirl marks on the paint and on the plastic/fiber parts (on my ninja) there are a wee bit of scratches inflicted by my knee guards. The scratches are mild and not deep. I cannot see the base paint and neither can i feel them when i run my fingers over them, but they are clearly visible in broad daylight.

I want to get rid of these swirl marks and scratches so I tried the Formula 1 Scratch Off but it didnt help one bit. Just picked up Turtle Wax super hard shell and yet to try that and see if the situation improves.

Can the experts here suggest what I should do? Please note that the tank area of my ninja has swirl marks and no scratches while the plastic tail area has some scratches (light ones only).

I greatly appreciate all the inputs towards my query.

P.S. Nirmal, have sent you a PM.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2010 at 13:59.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:23   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Aditiya,
Don't use a MF towel some of them can cause light swirl marks. The best thing to use will be a 100% cotton cloth or our good old banian which works best!

If the bike is getting scratched because of your riding gear or because of something rubbing against the paint then you might want to install a paint Protection Film in such places.
Its similar to your mobile screen protector but this one is a lot harder and protects the paint.
You get kits for the ninja 250, you can order then online.

Formula 1 Scratch Off is nothing but a mild rubbing compound. Please don't use that on your beautiful baby ninja.

Stick to good old TW for now and if you want to get rid of the swirl marks you will need to apply some kind of paint sealant (like the 100 plus paint sealant) and rub it with a Orbital buffer.
Old 25th November 2010, 19:12   #3822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
The best thing to use will be a 100% cotton cloth or our good old banian which works best!
Sometimes, the good old banian just cant be beat. Am yet to find a more suitable replacement for it.
Old 25th November 2010, 20:21   #3823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Seeing the results that several members have obtained from detailing products I am also keen on getting my vehicles back to their gleaming self.

But with so many products and methods i am mighty confused.

So here goes...

I generally use plain water to rise off any dust and dirt particles after which I use ArmorAll wash n wax solution diluted in water as suggested. After the wash, I use microfiber towels (from Turtle Wax) to dry the vehicles. Since the shampoo already contains carnauba wax i dont do a wax polish again. Please note that i use a mf towel to wash the bike as well.

Off late i have noticed swirl marks on the paint and on the plastic/fiber parts (on my ninja) there are a wee bit of scratches inflicted by my knee guards. The scratches are mild and not deep. I cannot see the base paint and neither can i feel them when i run my fingers over them, but they are clearly visible in broad daylight.

I want to get rid of these swirl marks and scratches so I tried the Formula 1 Scratch Off but it didnt help one bit. Just picked up Turtle Wax super hard shell and yet to try that and see if the situation improves.

Can the experts here suggest what I should do? Please note that the tank area of my ninja has swirl marks and no scratches while the plastic tail area has some scratches (light ones only).

I greatly appreciate all the inputs towards my query.

P.S. Nirmal, have sent you a PM.

The wax content in car washes is just a hogwash.dont go by them.Use a separate wax after washing.And waxing does not remove scratches at all.Instead of scratch out you can try 3M finesse it.Its a abrasive rubbing compound so be careful in using it.As "captain slow" mentioned putting protection films where your riding gear meets the body panels is the best idea.

If you can get meguiars scratchX or ultimate compound from someone in US.They can remove those scratches.BTW if you can post some pics of the area we can guide you better

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 25th November 2010 at 20:23.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:28   #3824
Senior - BHPian

Scratchout might seem ineffective by hand, but it has the power to correct some pretty serious swirls if used with a rotary polisher.

I tried scratchout paste on the hood of my dad's car.(it was swirled pretty bad)

After 2-3 section passes, the results were better than I expected.

Anyways, UC and scratchX are far superior to formula1 stuff!!(rather whole of meguiars line!)

Use a wash mitt or a grout sponge for wash and try to use 2-bucket method.
A free flowing water source is a huge help!

Is the plastic tail area of your ninja, textured plastic or glossy?
Old 25th November 2010, 22:58   #3825
Senior - BHPian

Here is my thought on this whole thread. Its become too long thread and one has to really go through each page to know what are the products that can used for detailing. Is there a way we can consolidate and put it up in one page.
As mentioned by Aditya, so many methods are confusing and we cannot help on that as each of us would have tried different things in different manner but atleast we can list the products that can be used and update it regularly.
I follow this thread everyday twice and sometimes i seems to get lost with the products names.

@mods, please delete this post if it is not appropriate.

Most Viewed