Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:26   #3886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrjay View Post
Pardon my understanding, did you just say you used ArmorAll Polish on the dashboard?
Since I'm new to car detailing world I tend to call every damn thing which is suppose to bring back shine, a Polish!!

I was actually talking about "Armor all Original Protectant"
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:42   #3887
BHPian

My car is old year old, and has minor swirl marks. pls suggest a suitable meguairs / other brand product which can help remove these swirls. I would prefer one with no abrasive or very mild abrasive. I dont have a DA machine and hence would have to do it by hand.

Pls suggest.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:09   #3888
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
My car is old year old, and has minor swirl marks. pls suggest a suitable meguairs / other brand product which can help remove these swirls. I would prefer one with no abrasive or very mild abrasive. I dont have a DA machine and hence would have to do it by hand.

Pls suggest.
Yet another one! You CANNOT remove swirls by hand- just visually hide them. Swirl removal means using something that IS abrasive, it does not matter using a high quality abrasive compound in the hands of an expert! With hand- too much effort and too less results. Buy/Hire a DA
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:22   #3889
VMC
BHPian

I think the BLR gurus should make a FAQ list for car detailing.
Most of us have basic questions that is difficult to find the answer in thw whole thread. Instead point them to the FAQ link for complete reference.
BTW- when will the BLR car detailing meet planned?
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:25   #3890
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
I think the BLR gurus should make a FAQ list for car detailing.
Most of us have basic questions that is difficult to find the answer in thw whole thread. Instead point them to the FAQ link for complete reference.
BTW- when will the BLR car detailing meet planned?
Good point - the mods need to open that page maybe, have patience, we are coordinating A meet is not possible as no place can accommodate all people, gotta meet in batches, when we are doing up a car, will call folks over
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:13   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Hi Guys,
Today morning when I got up to pick my newspaper, I saw a brochure about this Thejas Auto Spa and the details about car detailing of sorts. Anybody been there, seen there. Hearing it for the first time. Its on the OMR road as per the Advt.

This place is okay. They do a decent work of the waxing and polish. Water wash is a bit iffy.

Last edited by Lemon : 3rd December 2010 at 18:21.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:34   #3892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Yet another one! You CANNOT remove swirls by hand- just visually hide them. Swirl removal means using something that IS abrasive, it does not matter using a high quality abrasive compound in the hands of an expert! With hand- too much effort and too less results. Buy/Hire a DA
mkh, since the swirls are very less i can live with it for now. can u pls suggest any good product to bring out the shine, which can be used by hand. Im buying collinite 845 and would like to polish the surface before applying wax.
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:01   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Guru's/Experts..... Kindly advise on my above query!
Praful, a basic flow of the process would be :

Wash -> Clay -> Compounding(minor/moderate/heavy swirls) -> Polishing -> Glaze (fill up light swirls) -> Sealant -> Wax (carnauba) -> Spray detailer (maintenance)

The point to keep in mind is that once the swirl removal is done, & paint polished to a high gloss, then its only a question of Wash -> Sealant -> Wax - Spray detailer to maintain the finish !

Guys interested in the detailing meet, we will connect shortly about the venue as like MKH mentioned, it would be in batches for the convenience of all members !
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:03   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
mkh, since the swirls are very less, i can live with it for now. Kindly suggest a good polish that can bring out the best shine, and which can be applied by hand. Im buying collinite845 and hence would like to polish the surface before applying wax.

thanks
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:20   #3895
Senior - BHPian

^Agree with all the steps!

Glaze is optional, and its totally a personal preference!

After I have polished and sealed the paint I try not to wash! I use the duster whenever possible and never let it get dirty in the first place!!(saves a lot of headache later)

A good dusting followed by a QD is all the maintainance, a properly sealed car needs to replenish the just waxed look.

I'll be getting pressure washer with a foam gun attachment soon, will try washing my car with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Guru's/Experts..... Kindly advise on my above query!
The process is ok! (but the wax in 'wash n wax' is not needed if you're performing correction!)

Just make sure you use the correct technique for all the steps.

Car wash - 2-bucket wash method

Drying - Try blotting instead of wiping, its safer for the paint.(after blotting a section, take a new mf and then wipe that section gently.)

Paint correction - You can significantly improve the condition of the paint by hand.

Just use the same method as mentioned here -
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ique-hand.html

Polishing - Generally, polishing can be carried out by hand too, but make sure to work the polish properly. Most polishes need to be worked in for a period of time until they completely go clear.

(Try searching for the polishes that you have on google. You might come across some techniques that ppl might be using with that polish to get good results)

The method is the same. And usually with both cutting and polishing, multiple passes are required to get rid of defects.

After each step and after a few passes, inspect your work under a bright point light source like the sun or a halogen light. (applicable from compounding to the end of polishing

After the swirls are completely eliminated, apply a thin coat of wax > let it dry for 15-20 mins and then remove.

Its not that difficult of a process! Its just that perfection needs dedication!

Last edited by sohail99 : 3rd December 2010 at 22:39.
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:56   #3896
Distinguished - BHPian

Fellow detailers
My cousin is coming back from america and i have asked him to get the ultimate compound.heard that its very aggressive and difficult to apply and remove.so should i go with uc or get something milder.i will be detailing with elbow grease so help me make right decision.
Old 4th December 2010, 00:11   #3897
Senior - BHPian

UC is basically a AIO kinda thing(sans the cleaners and polymers)! It starts out very abrasive and then diminishes to finer abrasives as you keep working it and finishes LSP ready!

Do research on application techniques! It needs to be worked in long, in order for the abrasives to break down properly!(the hazing prob many report, is due to premature wiping off of the compound before the abrasives break down!)

Anything milder than that is ScratchX and then SwirlX. SwirlX is too mild if used with hand but does an acceptable to good job on softerpaints with a DA.

Basically all the consumer line products are made such that ppl can use them effectively by hand! So you cant go wrong with UC.

Get some sealant and some foam applicator pads while you're at it!

And remember, technique is everything!

Last edited by sohail99 : 4th December 2010 at 00:14.
Old 4th December 2010, 13:31   #3898
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Fellow detailers
My cousin is coming back from america and i have asked him to get the ultimate compound.heard that its very aggressive and difficult to apply and remove.so should i go with uc or get something milder.i will be detailing with elbow grease so help me make right decision.
UC is very easy, needs to be removed fast and not let it remain there long. However frankly I have seen no use on mild swirls of doing anything with hand. I would rather spend that much time and effort in applying multiple layers with curing time in between of a good sealant which hides swirls effectively. I would like for the benefit of others, someone to do this by hand and report results which sustain after a few weeks an washes.
However if want to, prepare surface with coating and then polish with UC or a good cleaner and then add layers of sealant. It's the times you can add sealant and maintain that matters and not the initial effort only I have found
Old 4th December 2010, 14:43   #3899
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this simple procedure good enough for someone lazy:

1. Wash with sonax shampoo
2. Mop and dry
3. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound with DA (flex) to remove medium swirl marks
4. Sonax wax and buff

My main goal is to remove swirls and hazing with *minimal* effort. Or should I use "#205 Ultra Finishing Polish" in step#3 instead of #105. The paint is in decent shape, just swirl marks and hazing only. No scratches.

Last edited by androdev : 4th December 2010 at 14:52.
Old 4th December 2010, 15:50   #3900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UC is very easy, needs to be removed fast and not let it remain there long. However frankly I have seen no use on mild swirls of doing anything with hand. I would rather spend that much time and effort in applying multiple layers with curing time in between of a good sealant which hides swirls effectively. I would like for the benefit of others, someone to do this by hand and report results which sustain after a few weeks an washes.
However if want to, prepare surface with coating and then polish with UC or a good cleaner and then add layers of sealant. It's the times you can add sealant and maintain that matters and not the initial effort only I have found
Please enlighten me on the exact technique to use the uc.how it should be applied , how long it should be rubbed in etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks