Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:42   #10111
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I got a paint touch up done at the service centre as I was there for the first service. What can be done to smoothen the touch up? Any treatment for the fog light glass?
2 things can be done by professional detailers here.

Paint : Yes. It is going to feel little sore after the work, but worth it. They will use the microabrasive (3M) papers and smooth the scratch lines. Then they will check the depth and if needed will add thin coat of filler and then spray paint it.

Glass : Its plastic too. So, same mild abrasive treatment and then full glass treatment to look even. If the scratch is deep enough to hold on to your nail when you cat paw it, then not much can be done. If its superficial, then the above treatment applies.

I did same for my bumper when it kissed the pillar at my parking spot. The paint work done by A.S.S is not upto mark. It covered the scratch completely, but they have not polished it properly again. So, when I touch it I can easily say what is what.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:47   #10112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
How and where do you keep the cover when it is not in use? Do you fold it in a particular way to prevent the inside of the cover from getting the dust/ dirt?
Are you aware of yesteryears disco dance style where they roll their both hands one on top of another. Same can be done for the car cover too.

Just make sure you catch hold of outer layer in each hand and then do the roll movement. They will roll on top of your forearms.

The advantage is that it saves time and will never tangle. And looks neat too since it has rolled on itself.
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:50   #10113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Collinite is also good. But looking at a cake and some super thin synthetic liquid, I wonder strongly that the cake leaves more residue behind. Sealants are better.
That caking will melt immediately when you immerse it in warm water bath or sunbathe the bottle for 20-30 minutes. The best part of Collinite is that, once it sets-in there is no telling of its presence. And yes, never EVER apply it on black plastic trims or black unpainted bumpers. Life will become hell.
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:56   #10114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I also have another glass problem, and that is that something waxy has got on the door window seals, so it makes sticky lines on the glass when opening and closing. Maybe I need to fight wax with wax!
Apologies that I missed this last time.

I have TufKote windows channel cleaner. This helped me remove the grime off the felt beading. I think they stopped making it. 3M has come up with channel dresser though.

My best option is to use all purpose cleaner dilution. Soak it few minutes and then wipe clean.
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:24   #10115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I did same for my bumper when it kissed the pillar at my parking spot. The paint work done by A.S.S is not upto mark. It covered the scratch completely, but they have not polished it properly again. So, when I touch it I can easily say what is what.
Thank you. The touch-up is already done by the A.S.S so I'll get the check about the other procedures with a local detailer. As you said, it can't be noticed from a distance but close up, it can be seen and felt since the touch-up is rough and not shiny as the rest of the paint.
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:37   #10116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Thank you. The touch-up is already done by the A.S.S so I'll get the check about the other procedures with a local detailer. As you said, it can't be noticed from a distance but close up, it can be seen and felt since the touch-up is rough and not shiny as the rest of the paint.
you can make it shiny again by wet sanding down using 2k grit sandpaper (small circles anti-clockwise) and then applying scratch remover or rubbing compound and elbow grease. As final step apply polish and wax. The thickness of touchup will come down and all areas can have same thickness.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:16   #10117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you aware of yesteryears disco dance style where they roll their both hands one on top of another. Same can be done for the car cover too.

Just make sure you catch hold of outer layer in each hand and then do the roll movement. They will roll on top of your forearms.

The advantage is that it saves time and will never tangle. And looks neat too since it has rolled on itself.
This is what I do. It is similar to what I did with the old light-weight cover, but requires another fold, as I keep the cover in a bag, instead of just dumping on a chair...
1. release cover from front and back, and fold up neatly onto bonnet and roof.

2. fold edge of cover in from sides to centre of car, keeping a neat fold at front at back like hospital bed corners!

3. fold again both sides into centre line of car.

4. roll neatly from back.

5. pick up roll from bonnet.
Replacing the cover: pace on bonnet, unroll, and pull the sides down. If put in the right place, very little movement of fabric against car happens. The critical bit is getting the aerial pouch onto the aerial.

The new Tph cover is more work and more time consuming than the old tyvek, but the car looks 200% better.

Repeating the advice from the Tph instructions: do not cover a dirty car. This is the critical bit. At least Jopasu-dust it before covering.

Quote:
Apologies that I missed this last time.

I have TufKote windows channel cleaner. This helped me remove the grime off the felt beading. I think they stopped making it. 3M has come up with channel dresser though.

My best option is to use all purpose cleaner dilution. Soak it few minutes and then wipe clean.
I never knew there was such a product! but it looks like I missed it . I'll watch out for the 3m product. In the meantime, I have some general-purpose cleaner.

Many thanks for this advice. Microfibre takes the wax off the glass, but it would be so nice not to have to do that!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd May 2017 at 14:19.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:17   #10118
BANNED

I fold the cover like this:-
-From Bonnet to the roof> From Boot to the roof. (Now the inner side is exposed).
-Roll it from one side to the centre of the roof> Roll from the opposite side to the roof. And lift it up.

But this becomes too big and with the inside exposed, and becomes inconvenient to store properly.

Will try your method.

---

BTW, there is a product by Proklear for the windshield - Ngs. Not sure if it will help you with exterior misting, but I have used this. One application lasts for a year. Water beads nicely and is super easy to just blow off/ clean. I had applied it on the inside of the windshield as well.

http://www.proklear.in/blog/product/...in-windshield/

Last edited by sinhead : 3rd May 2017 at 18:22.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 10:32   #10119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I never knew there was such a product! but it looks like I missed it . I'll watch out for the 3m product. In the meantime, I have some general-purpose cleaner.

Many thanks for this advice. Microfibre takes the wax off the glass, but it would be so nice not to have to do that!
Dragnetted this in my PC and found a copy of Tufkote catalogue. Not very old one though.

Hope it helps in some way.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tuf Kote Product catalogue.pdf (2.70 MB, 2337 views)
Old 9th May 2017, 21:41   #10120
BHPian

What is suggested between these two?

Formula 1 paste - http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0060HV...gCL&ref=plSrch

3m cream wax -

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00MHP9...EIL&ref=plSrch

My first and only waxing experience was with this 3m liquid wax -
http://www.amazon.in/3M-IA260166326-...1-41533f947b29

The result was noticable but nothing great, so looking at paste or cream wax this time.
Some posts on this thread say that waxpol has very good durability​ and shine at the cost of a difficult application? Whereas online reviews say it's quite a bad, low quality product.
Old 9th May 2017, 22:29   #10121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
What is suggested between these two?
Formula 1 paste -
3m cream wax -
t.
Neither of above two. Go for Collinite 845. It is an amazing product and that will fit your requirement. Though it may look costly but the amount of product that you get, is amazing. Also, you need very small quantities of it. So it goes on and on. Longevity of the product is also good. We have a big fan following for this product

Check here

Kind Regards...Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 22:44   #10122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Neither of above two.

Kind Regards...Vikas
Thanks for the quick response, but collinite 845 appears to be really expensive and not even available on Amazon. I'm really looking at the basic stuff to start with..
Old 9th May 2017, 22:55   #10123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Thanks for the quick response, but collinite 845 appears to be really expensive and not even available on Amazon. I'm really looking at the basic stuff to start with..
My personal experience with Amazon has been pretty bad. Twice or thrice I've got bad or counterfeit products. I go to dedicated on-line portals meant for car care products.

Try this post and it shows one of the online merchant having this product.

I agree, initially it looks costly. But the shine and durability it'll bring, is worth it. Plus a single bottle can be with you for 2-3 years or may be more.

If are planning to choose between only the two products that you mentioned earlier then go for 3M product. I'll suggest rather relying on Amazon, go to a close by 3M car care store and buy it.

Kind Regards...Vikas

Disclaimer: No commercial interest to promote any product or site.
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 10:17   #10124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
If are planning to choose between only the two products that you mentioned earlier then go for 3M product. I'll suggest rather relying on Amazon, go to a close by 3M car care store and buy it.
True that. If you are planning to get 3M products, walk into their store and get it. I got robbed royally in a upholstery shop which sold me a duplicate tub which was nothing but a cheap Chinese rip off.

Using it as a grease rather than wax for my car and motorcycle. Its that bad.

Collinite 845 is good and heavy on pocket. Look at it as a annual investment than short term. Works wonder though. Stocks usually lasts for few days only until the next batch arrives. Came to know about this after exchanging few mails with sellers here.

Depending on your willingness to the depth of damage to your pocket, you can chose the right product.
Old 11th May 2017, 14:57   #10125
Senior - BHPian

My Ertiga has beige interiors, both fabric & plastic; and its a nightmare to keep it clean. I haven't put any seat covers yet in the 4.5 years if ownership.

The dashboard was becoming dirty and some of the seats were also stained. My first choice was to give the car to a professional cleaner, but that never happened. So one day I bought the below product and did some spot fixes for most of the big stains.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20170511_121833709.jpg

It was able to clean the plastic parts well, but fabric cleaning was just OK. Some of the grease, chocolate & mud stains were removed partially, but it did leave a mark on the fabric.

Below photos shows surfaces cleaned on one side.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20170507_143015505_hdr.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20170507_143008448.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20170507_142945477.jpg

Overall very happy with the product and a half day well spent.
arjithin is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks