Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 01:18   #571
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
To my knowledge/experience the difference between sufficient oil and too little oil is pretty digital. Either there is sufficient oil for lubrication and cooling or there isn't and the effects are pretty immediate and severe. Quality of oil can take effect over a (very) long period of time.

I wouldn't know why 5th gear would be affected first. I'm thinking about torque, power output and relative low revolutions compared to the other gears. I.e at relative low rpm they need to transmit a relative high torque, so that would make lubrication, relatively more difficult. But I refer to my earlier point. Too little oil becomes catastrophic pretty quickly. Its more or less all or nothing.

Jeroen
This is what I found. "It is important to keep track of the amount of oil as due to the design, the 5th gear set is the first set to run low on oil.
The design of the end of the trans means 5th is fed oil by only a few small holes, and low oil in the rest of the trans will begin to starve the 5th gears, and they'll start to get hot."
The problem seems to be either low oil level or bad syncros.
Old 27th June 2014, 08:18   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
This is what I found. "It is important to keep track of the amount of oil as due to the design, the 5th gear set is the first set to run low on oil.
The design of the end of the trans means 5th is fed oil by only a few small holes, and low oil in the rest of the trans will begin to starve the 5th gears, and they'll start to get hot."
The problem seems to be either low oil level or bad syncros.

If the synchro rings are worn, you might hear some noises during upshifts, but no so much once a gear has been selected. Will be interesting to hear what this is, if and when you find out.
Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 27th June 2014 at 08:22.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 14:43   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If the synchro rings are worn, you might hear some noises during upshifts, but no so much once a gear has been selected. Will be interesting to hear what this is, if and when you find out.
Jeroen
Took the car to two different MASSes. The gear oil level was sufficient. Both reported that the problem lies with the 5th gear itself but both urged me to continue using the car and drown the noise by turning the radio up. They said a repair would cost about 6-12k depending on what needs replacement after they open the tranny. Also showed the car to a FNG and he reported that he would complete the job in 3-5k.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2014 at 09:43. Reason: Minor edit.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:21   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Took the car to car to two different MASSes. The gear oil level was sufficient. Both reported that the problem lies with the 5th gear itself but both urged me to continue using the car and drown the noise by turning the radio up. They said a repair would cost about 6-12k depending on what needs replacement after they open the tranny. Also showed the car to a FNG and he reported that he would complete the job in 3-5k.
Well, that's a tricky one now. What are you going to do. Turn the radio up and hope for the best?

So you'd think they would like to earn some money doing the repair. So maybe its a genuine advise that it is not necessary. But then, guess who will be picking up the tap if your gear box does fail! Did any offer an explanation on what might be causing the noise?

On this sort of stuff, I would really have to know the person in question to follow through on advise like that. I have a couple of friends who own workshops back in my home country and if I hear a noise and they explain me what it is and not to worry, that would be alright. Initially, but I would probably still try to get of the noise.

Good luck and lots of wisdom on your next move.

Jeroen
Old 17th July 2014, 14:17   #575
BHPian

Hi team! my fiat Petra 1.9diesel has suddenly started making chuck-chuck-chuck-chuck like sound at idle or low revs. Took it to a mechanic and he says belt and its associated bearings/pulleys are responsible.

Just before 15k kms, I had changed the timing belt but not the bearings due to non availability of parts. I understand about the bearings, but do I need to change the almost unused timing belt with the bearings? Could the bad bearings affect the new timing belt so soon? Lastly, can I gently drive for 170kms with this problem? Asking cuz the service station is 170kms from my place.

Last edited by prokinetic : 17th July 2014 at 14:22.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:06   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Hi team! my fiat Petra 1.9diesel has suddenly started making chuck-chuck-chuck-chuck like sound at idle or low revs. Took it to a mechanic and he says belt and its associated bearings/pulleys are responsible.... Lastly, can I gently drive for 170kms with this problem? Asking cuz the service station is 170kms from my place.
Generally such sounds at lower revs are associated with various belts. Not sure if it is the bearing or the belt itself or the pre-tensioner pulley. This will need a physical verification. There should be no problem in driving the car, if its the belt. Get it checked though.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 20:10   #577
BHPian

Heard a strange sound of air escaping - almost as if a person is exhaling from their mouth on my way back this evening. The sound comes everytime i press the brake pedal.
Noticed it at a red light, and thought it could be due to air entrapment (in my shoes? or maybe the footmat? - it sounded as if one was stepping on sponge!). Rechecked when I got home, the sound seems to be coming from the vicinity of the brake pedal, with the engine off it sounded a couple of times and then stopped. Once I restarted the engine, the sound re-appeared. I'm attaching a quick sound recording of the same (yes its the brakes, not me doing pranayam :P)

http://clyp.it/la2lc0yd link to sound recording

PS - I drive a Skoda Yeti 2011 (4wd), 80K on the odo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Last week I noticed strange hissing sound only when I apply brakes. It is very much audible in cabin.
Sameer, is this something like what you heard? any resolution so far?
Old 24th July 2014, 08:29   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Heard a strange sound of air escaping - almost as if a person is exhaling from their mouth on my way back this evening. The sound comes everytime i press the brake pedal.
Noticed it at a red light, and thought it could be due to air entrapment (in my shoes? or maybe the footmat? - it sounded as if one was stepping on sponge!). Rechecked when I got home, the sound seems to be coming from the vicinity of the brake pedal, with the engine off it sounded a couple of times and then stopped. Once I restarted the engine, the sound re-appeared. I'm attaching a quick sound recording of the same (yes its the brakes, not me doing pranayam :P)

http://clyp.it/la2lc0yd link to sound recording

PS - I drive a Skoda Yeti 2011 (4wd), 80K on the odo!

Actually my car's sound stopped after replacing brake pads and liners. They were totally worn out.

Regards,
Sameer.
Old 24th July 2014, 10:34   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Heard a strange sound of air escaping - almost as if a person is exhaling from their mouth on my way back this evening. The sound comes everytime i press the brake pedal... with the engine off it sounded a couple of times and then stopped. Once I restarted the engine, the sound re-appeared. I'm attaching a quick sound recording of the same (yes its the brakes, not me doing pranayam :P)

That is quite normal. It is the vacuum escaping from the braking circuit as you hit the brakes. The vacuum actually provides power for 'power braking' systems. The car, when running, continuously creates vacuum for braking assist, but once you switch off the engine, there is only enough reserve power for power brake once or at the most twice. You also must have noticed that the brake pedal became too hard after all air escaped from the system. That is why you should never turn off the engine in a running car, like that on a slope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Actually my car's sound stopped after replacing brake pads and liners. They were totally worn out.

Regards,
Sameer.
Are you sure? I doubt it, since it is the very fundamental of vacuum assisted brakes which most modern cars are armed with.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 10:50   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is quite normal. It is the vacuum escaping from the braking circuit as you hit the brakes. The vacuum actually provides power for 'power braking' systems. The car, when running, continuously creates vacuum for braking assist, but once you switch off the engine, there is only enough reserve power for power brake once or at the most twice. You also must have noticed that the brake pedal became too hard after all air escaped from the system. That is why you should never turn off the engine in a running car, like that on a slope.
Just to add, technically speaking it's not air escaping from the system. Its a vacuum, so there is actually not that much air to begin with.

When you switch of the engine, and step on the brake, as pointed out, the brake booster provides a bit of reserve. But its actually filling up with air, with the engine switched off, and pushing the brake pedal.

Your brakes will work fine, with the engine off, but you need to press the brake pedal harder to get the same braking force.

The easiest way to test whether your booster works well is the following:
With the engine switched off, ignition fully off, press the brake repeatedly 3-5 times to get rid of any residual vacuum in the booster.

Put your foot on the brake and press down firmly.

Start the engine, and you should feel your foot going down a few centimeters. This is due to the vacuum building up quickly as soon as you start the engine and "assisting" your muscles, so to speak.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 22:06   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is quite normal. It is the vacuum escaping from the braking circuit as you hit the brakes. You also must have noticed that the brake pedal became too hard after all air escaped from the system.
Regards,
Saket
Spot on!. Got the local FNG to have a look, he sprayed some wd40 near the brake pedal (just to reassure me) but said this is normal. thanks
adisag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 03:18   #582
BHPian

Sound : Dhamb
Explanation : Feels like a tonne of weight is loaded in the boot (and the car)

Where? Whole Car / Underbody
When? Going over speebreakers and potholes

Getting this sound in a an apparently perfect 5yr-old, 62k km run Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT (Manual, Petrol) that I'm planning to buy.

Anybody have a idea what it is? Need to make/break the deal tomorrow (27th July afternoon).

Also, would appreciate if some Sonata owner/user could have a look at the thread I made for the same, and pour some valuable input in it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ol-manual.html
Old 4th August 2014, 06:27   #583
BHPian

Looking for some advice on this strange noise that comes from my Figo's Engine Bay.

Details and a AV clip of the same posted here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3492554
Old 4th August 2014, 21:51   #584
BHPian

In my last servicing (40,000 KM) of my SWIFT VDI, I had told the service advisor to check the belt noise that used to be there in early morning starts.
He had it checked and advised that the noise is very slight and you can continue to drive, we will check in the next service as there is nothing to adjust,the belt is mounted on auto tension pulleys !

Alas the belt gave up which I was on my way to the market for some sunday shopping. There was a grinding noise, burning smell and the battery indicator came up. Slowly I managed to drive home.

Today took the car to the local Maruti service station which opened up the belt assembly & showed the entire plastic adjuster was shot
No damage to other parts.

Belt as well as the Pully assembly replaced. Total bill 2800 INR.
Would have been cheaper had this problem been proactively acted upon in the last service
Lesson learnt - Do not ignore those minor sounds also, you may be stuck in the middle of no where
Attached Thumbnails
What's that sound?-img_20140804_113714.jpg  

What's that sound?-img_20140804_113337.jpg  

Last edited by goswami.j : 4th August 2014 at 21:57.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:42   #585
BHPian

Car: Tata Nano LX July 2012, Kms done: 25K

There's a groaning noise from the engine when engine braking. In any gear, if I try to use engine braking (without using the clutch), I get a loud groaning noise basically like the engine is growling. Noise doesn't appear when clutch is depressed, but only on engine braking.

In a car that is already so noisy, this sound is more of an embarrassment.

Note: Car was involved in accident three months ago where driver lost control and crashed in to divider (driven by sister). Lower arms and suspension was changed. So was the oil sump and some other parts. Mostly covered in insurance. No injuries to passengers. Everyone wore seat-belts, speed was around 40.

Additional Note: Pandit Auto, Bavdhan was the assigned workshop. STAY AWAY. Pathetic job, and charging point is missing. They stole it and deny this. Also they took one month for working when there was nothing major.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks