Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 13:57   #796
Senior - BHPian

No you cannot attach a pen drive there. That's a stereo in connector. Pen drives need a USB AUX IN.
Old 20th June 2010, 15:44   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Now I want to do something about the rear suspension. The newly upgraded Civic has the problem alleviated, can something be done about this in my car?
How sure are you about the upgrade on the rear suspension in the latest Civic? How better it is compared to the Civic you have, in terms of handling over the speed brakers?

I had almost zeroed in on civic, but Bangalore roads have so many bad humps that I am thinking twice before putting my million+ on this beauty.
Old 20th June 2010, 17:46   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
How sure are you about the upgrade on the rear suspension in the latest Civic? How better it is compared to the Civic you have, in terms of handling over the speed brakers?

I had almost zeroed in on civic, but Bangalore roads have so many bad humps that I am thinking twice before putting my million+ on this beauty.
I am not sure at all, hence the question. Even if it eases the problem a bit I am not sure I would want to get it done.

I'll be keeping an eye on GTO's Civic thread. I don't mind going the after market way but not at this point. But this problem needs to be addressed for sure.

I would suggest, you take a long test drive with 4-5 people on board and take the car over these car breakers and see how it performs.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:58   #799
BHPian

Today I visited Pearl Honda sector 63 workshop in Noida and asked for reverse parking censor in new civic V model. They quoted me 11000 for the original part and 500 for color + fitting charges.
I asked how it would work they told me it will only give beep sound like accord which will be long beep once an object is very near.....
Can someone comment on this and if someone has seen how it works? Also is it worth than the normal market fitments with a rear view mirror placed on top of normal mirror.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:03   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
I have a 2007 model Civic VMT. It has got a small plug where we can attach an i-pod. Can I attach a pen drive there? Where can I gat the suitable wire/adapter for the same? Is it available with Honda?
Instead you can use a FM transmitter available in market ,chinese make is 200-250 INR with remote and a very good brand would be around 5K, FM transmitter is available in some of nokia phones as well. This can be fitted in car charging/lighter unit and a USB or few other card are also supported (In chinese version), sound quality dips on chinese version.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:17   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Today I visited Pearl Honda sector 63 workshop in Noida and asked for reverse parking censor in new civic V model. They quoted me 11000 for the original part and 500 for color + fitting charges.
I asked how it would work they told me it will only give beep sound like accord which will be long beep once an object is very near.....
Can someone comment on this and if someone has seen how it works? Also is it worth than the normal market fitments with a rear view mirror placed on top of normal mirror.
Wow, what a rip off. I got the normal sensor one with a clip on mirror from Honda itself when I bought the car. It has started to become flaky of late and cost 4.5k or something at the time of purchase. They had the video camera version for around 10k at the time.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:02   #802
BHPian

With this clip on mirror you might not get the day/night view
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:24   #803
Senior - BHPian

I had that mirror thing in the car but did not like the mirror quality.

Later on broke the mirror, got the speaker thing fixed inside dashboard, now I am happy with just the voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
With this clip on mirror you might not get the day/night view
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:29   #804
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post

Kanpur roads are lousy, with the entire city dug up for deep sewers. Also, IITK speed bumps are my daily diet. I did a TD (we have about 1km of heavy gravel just outside) and drove over the IITK bumps at my normal (Accent/Santro) speed. Also, have no problems in the 20 or so days I have had my car (June 2010 model). Unless you are in a habit of driving with 4+ or at high speeds the problem is overhyped.

See the previous page for some more observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
....asked for reverse parking sensor in new civic V model. They quoted me 11000 for the original part and 500 for color + fitting charges.
I have it as OE in my June 2010 Civic. 11k is cheap - since they were charging 9k only for the wiring loom. The total used to be more like 20k. The beeper has 3 modes - slow intermittent, fast intermittent, and continuous. Slow when 150cm straight behind, 50cm on the side, medium at 2/3 the distance, and continuous at 1/3 of these. I will not risk the cheap Chinese stuff. The rear visibility is not that good.

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd June 2010 at 22:32.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:32   #805
Senior - BHPian

And all these years i have been doing without one
Reversing isn't that bad, once you know her enough.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:33   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have it as OE in my June 2010 Civic. 11k is cheap - since they were charging 9k only for the wiring loom. The total used to be more like 20k. The beeper has 3 modes - slow intermittent, fast intermittent, and continuous. Slow when 150cm straight behind, 50cm on the side, medium at 2/3 the distance, and continuous at 1/3 of these. I will not risk the cheap Chinese stuff. The rear visibility is not that good.
I have installed that beep thing in my i10 (Xenos brand, 2 sensors, warranty) and the cost is Rs.1,200/-.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:17   #807
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday some pesky call center drivers drained the air pressure from my front right tire. Changed to the spare tire and realised that it was also low. But since it seemed like the Apocalypse last evening, I could not go to any tire shop.

Today morning I went to a petrol pump to get the pressure checked and shocked to see all the tires were low on pressure at around 23 PSI. So got the pressure to 32 front and 30 rears. The tires were filled with Nitrogen in May. Now the car seems nice and springy.

The thing is my car tires was filled with Nitrogen and I could not locate any shops nearby that had it, so I topped up with normal air. Is this a good practice?

I will hunt for a tire shop with nitrogen filling station and drain all tires and fill it again with nitrogen.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 24th June 2010 at 11:19.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:24   #808
BANNED

Do not worry - to me nitrogen is in the same category as snake oil. I use the free stuff with 78% nitrogen. I see my Santro which has had new tyres holding for over a month (max. 2psi drop) so even the argument that Nitrogen holds pressure better is a no go.

Get yourself a portable pump (lighter powered) and a gauge. The cost of both together should be about 1,000. When you need the spare it is always low!
Old 24th June 2010, 13:59   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do not worry - to me nitrogen is in the same category as snake oil. I use the free stuff with 78% nitrogen. I see my Santro which has had new tyres holding for over a month (max. 2psi drop) so even the argument that Nitrogen holds pressure better is a no go.

Get yourself a portable pump (lighter powered) and a gauge. The cost of both together should be about 1,000. When you need the spare it is always low!
Wise words! So I will drain off all the nitrogen and fill in the normal stuff. The hunt for a portable pump begins.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:42   #810
BANNED

@hiren: Do not drain the Nitrogen, just use normal air. It will replace the nitrogen gradually.

After an article in ACI I calculated the weight saving in an Accent my replacing Air with Nitrogen. All of FOUR GRAMMES. There go the claims of better road grip, etc.

Wrote a tough note in the Special License Holders group (I am a Mod there) and immediately got a reply from H essentially stating that it somehow slipped through.

One thing: Avoid air from bunks which are also service stations. It is very moist. Moisture results in higher variations in the tyre pressures with temperature. I have been using my own pumps (first foot, and now powered) since 1973 or 74!

Any accessory shop should be able to supply both the pump and the gauge.

Most Viewed